daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Railways and Transportation

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 103

Kolkata Tram Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Source :

Old Kolkata Tram Route Map

This map is much backdated, there are many routes closed, which are shown operating. E.g. –
1) Now tram is not running towards Behala & Joka.
2) Tram service is closed between Garhiahat depot & Baliganj line.
3) Tram is now not running between Galiff Street & Shyambazar Jn.
4) Route 13, 27, 35, 36 are now closed.
5) Newly opened route 18 is not shown on this map.
6) There are many spelling mistakes, and map errors.
7) Formerly closed tracks on Hare Street, Bentinck Street is not shown on this map.

Updated Map

This map was drawn by me.

Last edited by Suncity; August 21st, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Ashis Mitra

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolkatausa View Post
can you update the ctc site with more new tram pics
Sorry, I can't because CTC's website is Govt. of W.B. Undertaking. It'll be better to touch with Wilipedia's page 'Calcutta Tramways Company', for future updates of photos from me.
Old May 9th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Ashis Mitra

Tram depot & metro station at Belgachhia is only 4 minutes walking distance.

The tram route 3 was closed around 1980, when I was only 3 years old. That route was From Belgachhia to Dharmatala via Bentinck Street. In my childhood, there were still tracks & wires on Bentinck Street, but all covered & removed around 1994. A sharp eye should find some electric masts & tram stop signs still present on Bentinck street. Tram was closed for constructing metro, but aftere opening metro, it wasn't returned, as a fake excuse of traffic jam. But don't the parked big police vans creates permanent jams years after years till now at Lalbazar crossing?

Ki Buddhababu? Chup keno?

Belgachhia depot also closed half of tram tracks in 1992 for opening bus service. Previously, there were 11 tracks under shed, but today only 6 remains.
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #4
Ashis Mitra

Tram terminus & metro station at Shyambazar is only 6 minutes walking distance.

The tram route 9 was closed around 1980, when I was only 3 years old. That route was From Shyambazar to Dharmatala via Bentinck Street. In my childhood, there were still tracks & wires on Bentinck Street, but all covered & removed around 1994. A sharp eye should find some electric masts & tram stop signs still present on Bentinck street. Tram was closed for constructing metro, but after opening metro, it wasn't returned, as a fake excuse of traffic jam. But don't the parked big police vans creates permanent jams years after years till now at Lalbazar crossing?

Ki Buddhababu? Chup keno?

Once, the Shyambazar junction was the largest tram junction of Kolkata. Today, only trams from Belgachhia can go to Rajabazar & Hatibagan, but previously, there were also linking tracks for moving tram from Belgachhia to Galiff Street, Galiff Street to Rajabazar & Galiff street to Hatibagan.

Another matter of shame, 3 gates of Shyambazar metro station is permanently closed. those are to Krishnaram Basu Street, Choudhuri Lane & Bhupen Basu Avenue North. When it is one of the busiest metro station of Kolkata, how dare they to close 3 gates to make exiting & entring much difficult!!!???
Old December 18th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #5
Bombay2Calcutta

Likes (Received): 493

Behala-Joka trams on last lap?

State Decides To Stop Financial Assistance For Route, Cites Upcoming Metro Project

Krishnendu Bandyopadhyay | TNN

Kolkata: The state government has sentenced the Behala-Joka tram facility to death. Well, almost. At a recent meeting, it decided to stop financial assistance for services on that route citing the impending Joka-Dalhousie Metro project.
The Behala-Joka route has already been disjointed from the remaining tram network in the city. It was destined to die after the transport department withdrew tracks from Behala tram depot to Mominpore. The upcoming Metro project also spells doom for the remaining Mominpore-Khidderpore stretch along Diamond Harbour Road.
The eco-friendly Kolkata tram, a city icon, is the only mode of passenger transport of its kind in India. After constructing Taratala flyover, the transport department went back on its promise to revive trams along Diamond Harbour Road. Soon, tracks from Mominpore to Behala were withdrawn, leaving behind tram services only from Behala to Joka.
“Since the Metro track along Diamond Harbour Road will be elevated, tram services will automatically be redundant on that stretch. So, we are gradually making room for construction of the Metro,” said transport minister Ranjit Kundu.
The Behala-Joka route is in a moribund state. There is no tram workshop along the stretch except for a small repair or maintenance bay at Joka which cannot handle any major technical snag. So if a tram develops a major snag, Calcutta Tramways will have no option but to reject it. No wonder, the Behala-Joka service is now down to two trams. “As technical snags are frequent due to the age of trams, services are often seriously disrupted. Sometimes, only one tram plies between Behala and Joka,” said a Calcutta Tramways Company (CTC) employee at Behala depot.
Withdrawal of tracks along Diamond Harbour Road will directly affect three depots. Trams from Ballygunge and Kalighat depots will never reach Esplanade. The government has already spent a huge sum on concretizing tracks along Judges Court Road and remaining stretch of Diamond Harbour Road. “Work was ordered long before the Metro project was announced,” said an officer of Hooghly River Bridge Commissioner (HRBC). However, during construction of the elevated Metro, the entire concretization is likely to be undone, said an expert.
Metro construction will also destroy the tram network from Khidderpore to Esplanade. Like Behala, another disjointed depot will emerge. “Trams from Kidderpore depot can never go to Kalighat or Ballygunge. Trams from the Ballygunge depot go to Tollygunge and Kalighat only. So, Khidderpore, Ballygunge, Tollygunge and Kalighat depots will be cut off from the rest of the network,” said a CTC official.
Snapping a network has longstanding impact on the entire system. “First, a number of routes get abolished. As inter-connectivity is lost, the service is affected. Unreliability of service makes trams a less preferable mode of transport. So, operating these becomes a greater burden for CTC,” said a transport official.
Bombay2Calcutta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #6
devmoitra

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay2Calcutta View Post
Behala-Joka trams on last lap?

State Decides To Stop Financial Assistance For Route, Cites Upcoming Metro Project

Krishnendu Bandyopadhyay | TNN

Kolkata: ...... The eco-friendly Kolkata tram, a city icon, is the only mode of passenger transport of its kind in India. After constructing Taratala flyover, the transport department went back on its promise to revive trams along Diamond Harbour Road. Soon, tracks from Mominpore to Behala were withdrawn, leaving behind tram services only from Behala to Joka.

........ Metro construction will also destroy the tram network from Khidderpore to Esplanade. Like Behala, another disjointed depot will emerge.
......... Snapping a network has longstanding impact on the entire system. “First, a number of routes get abolished. As inter-connectivity is lost, the service is affected. Unreliability of service makes trams a less preferable mode of transport. So, operating these becomes a greater burden for CTC,” said a transport official.
I think the News Paper is going over board to express its grief for the death of tram services, Metro is Quicker, Comfortable and Eco friendly mode of transport which will de-congest the traffic also. Hence the obituary for the tram services of an ageing and ailing trams of BEHALA -JOKA is justified. "MAY GOD BLESS THE DEPARTED SOUL "

Last edited by devmoitra; December 18th, 2010 at 03:56 AM.
devmoitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #7
kajusen
Opportunistic

Likes (Received): 16

Arrow Problem with Kolkata trams

One of the biggest problem of Kolkata tram in certain routes is that the trams run in a direction opposite to that of normal traffic , thus creating traffic woes . Neither the tram can move smoothly nor normal traffic.

Some such situations are showwn in these fotos:------

Ultadanga :--

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

College Street :--

Old January 29th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #8
kajusen
Opportunistic

Arrow New model tram running on M G Road

Old January 30th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #9
saurav_68

Likes (Received): 3

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajusen View Post
So when there is no new news about Kolkata Metro,just post some unrelated topics and pictures.
saurav_68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #10
kajusen
Opportunistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by studdmanster View Post
if its for hertage purpose, let it be on a heritage route, like the Maidan-Khidderpore route, its the best tram route in city!!
Personally in donot want trams on DH Road, arey yaar past is past, its better to forget the tram...let them R-I-P..its a bane more than a boon for behala wasis!! Instead the CTC people should be given bus to drive. like it was done earlier!!

arrre i was just kidding yaar . infact i too want this tram business to wind up and make way for metro .
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #11
debayanlahiri

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajusen View Post
arrre i was just kidding yaar . infact i too want this tram business to wind up and make way for metro .
I do not want the trams to wind up.. In fact, I would want the trams to be used effectively..

As a suggestion, trams may be introduced in various new routes and may serve as a feeder to the metro. There is no point running trams on the same alignment as the metro.

We do need trams in Kolkata.. One good way to utilise the trams effectively is to remove the autos from city limits and replace those with trams.. This will drastically reduce traffic on road.. Autos in Kolkata mostly serve as a feeder as one can not rent an auto to go his desired location.. rather, the auto would run on its own route and the passenger would need to figure out ways to reach his destination from the nearest point on the auto route.. But yes, to remove auto from city limits, the government would need to provide sufficient bus services and a planned tram service.. may be a few lines within the city may be removed, but Kolkata does need trams.. Kolkata without trams is not the Kolkata I would want to see..

Trams do have a lot of scope in the suburbs too, provided suburbs are developed and lakhs of people do not need to rush to the city for daily work.. I would also want to see modern air conditioned trams, dedicated tram routes, intra-city tram connectivity in planned townships like Salt Lake, Kalyani, Patuli, etc.
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #12
kajusen
Opportunistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by debayanlahiri View Post
I do not want the trams to wind up.. In fact, I would want the trams to be used effectively..

As a suggestion, trams may be introduced in various new routes and may serve as a feeder to the metro. There is no point running trams on the same alignment as the metro.

We do need trams in Kolkata.. One good way to utilise the trams effectively is to remove the autos from city limits and replace those with trams.. This will drastically reduce traffic on road.. Autos in Kolkata mostly serve as a feeder as one can not rent an auto to go his desired location.. rather, the auto would run on its own route and the passenger would need to figure out ways to reach his destination from the nearest point on the auto route.. But yes, to remove auto from city limits, the government would need to provide sufficient bus services and a planned tram service.. may be a few lines within the city may be removed, but Kolkata does need trams.. Kolkata without trams is not the Kolkata I would want to see..

Trams do have a lot of scope in the suburbs too, provided suburbs are developed and lakhs of people do not need to rush to the city for daily work.. I would also want to see modern air conditioned trams, dedicated tram routes, intra-city tram connectivity in planned townships like Salt Lake, Kalyani, Patuli, etc.
I am inline with U . I feel running tram and metro simultaneously is very costly and also meaningless . Yaa its a fact dat trams coz traffic jams . I feel trams should be employed in relatively less congested area .

But one more important thing , running BRTS and metro rail simultaneously on E M Bypass would also be the same case . It would be costly as well meaningless . But now its too late coz BRTS construction is on and the tender for the E M Bypass metro has been floated .

infact people along the Bypass will have to think before going somewhere whether to use the metro rail or the BRTS .
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #13
Bombay2Calcutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by debayanlahiri View Post

I do agree with you .. I do not want to see trams going off the roads in Kolkata . I do agree trams are not required in the busy roads. But they can definitely be planned as feeder routes to the metro and also in the new townships in Rajarhaat and Salt Lake.

I definitely would like to see trams take a more modern look like in Melbourne and Toronto.
Within the Kolkata city limits develop the trams more on a heritage and tourism prespective.

BTW -= I have read that there is heritage tram ride in Kolkata . is it still running ?
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #14
Bombay2Calcutta

TELEGRAPH
Joka tram tracks to be removed in 14 days
OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

The tram tracks between Joka and Behala will be ripped off in two weeks to facilitate work for the Joka-BBD Bag Metro Railway project, officials said on Sunday.

The 6km stretch, which had held up the project during the reign of Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, has been handed over to the railway ministry following chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s intervention.

“The overhead wires that supplied power to tram cars have been removed and the tracks are being ripped off. It will take another 14 days to wrap up the dismantling work, which is being handled by the Railway Vikas Nigam Ltd,” a senior railway official said.

Once the tracks and the wires have been removed, the authorities will carry out a utility check to locate phone and power cables and water and sewer pipes before laying pillars for the Metro tracks.

“Unless the tram tracks are removed, the final design for the elevated tracks — which will cover 10km of the 16.72km link — can’t be prepared,” an official pointed out.

Last December, then transport minister Ranjit Kundu had refused to allow Metro work on the Joka-Behala stretch on the grounds that it would leave the tram tracks unusable for five years, the estimated duration of the project.

Another impasse in the project has been broken with the authorities identifying an alternative site for Joka station.

The plot where President Pratibha Patil had laid the foundation stone last year was later found to be private property.

“A new plot has been identified for the Joka terminal,” said an official.

Old May 30th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #15
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Likes (Received): 498

hmm...it seems Joka Metro is the topic of the day...here are pics to show that what actually the news reporters are reporting, for a change are true!!

Here the 1st pic, which shows that the tram's electric supply line has been snapped, what only stands now is the pole...this is near Behala Chowrasta!!

Old May 30th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #16
studdmanster
<!error detected>

Likes (Received): 498

the tram tracks are still untouched here!!...its sumwer near Thakurpukur..

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:57 PM   #17
Ashis Mitra

Nowadays it is clearly shown that former state government was doing dirty politics for metro construction. New government is now very much smooth. Within the 10 days 2 lines has gain satisfactorily.

Line 3 –The loss making tram track between Behal & Joka was only waiting for closure. I wrote formerly, the Diamondharbour Road from Majherhat is now under NHAI, which was the main cause of closure of tram route 27, 35 & 37. If the metro line would not construct, then also tramline would be closed only for this reason. Former govt. only cried like a crocodile and washed people’s brain for fake excuses. However, only in 2 days, al hurdles were removed. Tram service has stopped now. Tramcars will be moved to main network by trainers within this month. Now the construction of metro line has started in full pace, and I hope the elevated stretch will be completed within 2013 from Joka to Majherhat. Joka metro depot will be construected near former tram terminus. Elevated stretch wil run parallel of Taratala flyover & former Majherhat Tram Bridge, and then after crossing the rail lines, it will get down underground and from Mominpur, it will run under the ground. Target is 2016.

Line 6 – Another obstruction was occurred by left. The hotchpotch metrobus (BRT) is now under construction from Ultodingi to New Garhia via E.M.Byepass, but line 6 wil also follow the route from Gour Kishor Ghosh (Chingrhighata) to Kabi Subhash. So they obstructed for building the line thinking loss making of metrobus. These hardles is also now removed. At first phase, metro wil be constructed from Kabi Subhash to Very Important Person’s Bazar within 2012. The construction has also started, target is also 2016.

Line 2 is now full pace, I often go via Phulbagan, and there underground tunneling is going smoothly. Large crains is doing the work.

Majherhat metro station is under construction. Look the green signboard carefully. Photograph quality is not good because I only have a cheap analog camera.

Trams are transferring to main network from now closed Joka terminus by trailers. Here the future metro depot will be constructed.

Joka terminus, on its heyday. This tram was designed like Melbourne’s B-class tram around 1997. It was the first tram which was decorated by tubelights and front glass. Now the front glass has destroyed and replaced by pity iron net. How unaesthetic workers of CTC!!

Last edited by Ashis Mitra; June 1st, 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old June 1st, 2011, 03:59 PM   #18
Suncity
By the ocean

Likes (Received): 3333

Quote:
Photograph quality is not good because I only have a cheap analog camera.
Thanks for the photos. This is not a photography forum, so the quality of the photo should not be a problem.

Quote:
T . How unaesthetic workers of CTC!![/CENTER]
Just like how unaesthetic most of the EMUS and MEMUS and DEMUS are.
Suncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 01:11 AM   #19
Bombay2Calcutta

TOI
Joka-Behala tram is now history

KOLKATA: The tram that plied along Diamond Harbour Road has rumbled into the history books, drawing the curtains on yet another icon of old-world Kolkata. This is the price the city has to pay to meet its growing transportation needs.

Barely had the overhead wires been removed when Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd (RVNL) began work on the pilings for pillars that would hold up the viaduct along which metro trains will run between Joka and BBD Bag. According to Metro Railway officials, nearly 4km of the 6km route between Joka and Behala Bazaar has been cleared of tram tracks. Pillars that held up the overhead wires have been removed along 3km and handed to Calcutta Tramways Company. But what of the trams?

These heritage vehicles were left marooned as no tracks exist from the Behala tram depot to the rest of the city. The tramcars were dismantled, the carriages and undercarriages placed on separate truck-trailers and moved to CTC depots. By Tuesday evening, four of the six trams had been dismantled and mounted on trailers.

The Joka-BBD Bag stretch was the last tram route on DH Road. Ever since the Joka-BBD Bag metro was announced, the railways has been asking the state government to hand over the stretch to RVNL, which is the implementing agency. While the transport department agreed in principle, CTC continued to run trams on the route. Work on the metro came to a standstill.

After Mamata Banerjee became chief minister, one of the first steps that her government took was to hand over the stretch to RVNL.

"We hope to make up for the lost time and complete the stretch within schedule," an RVNL official said.

But will this herald the end of trams in Kolkata? In the last few years, several routes have closed down for various reasons. Experts say the city should retain this environment-friendly mode of public transport, at least in parts of the city where public transport is not up to standard.

"It was a sad moment for us but development must prevail. The new government should introduce trams in extended parts of the city like Salt Lake and Rajarhat," a CTC official said.
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #20
Ashis Mitra

Source:-Newz Bangla – Tram tracks is ripping for replacing this route to metro.

This photo makes me nostalgic. When I was 9 years old in 1986, this line opened for public. I heard about this extension of former Behala line first from my grandfather, who helped me much for TRAM ADDICTION by traveling me by tram around the city. Then I went to Joka with my parents first by tram in 30/12/86. There was only one route at first, i.e. 37. Later 2 routes opened towards Baliganj & Tollyganj. I still remember, the tram was fully packed up, for curiosity about this new line, because this line & Ultodingi line was the first new lines after independence. Till then, Diamond harbor Road was still under-developed, even no street lights were after Barhisha. After Barhisha, surroundings were village type, mostly after Thakurpukur. Large fields were both sides of the road. Road was dark & empty, and the Joka tram terminus was very empty. My mother was afraid about robbery. Still now Joka is under Panchayat.

The fair was 70 paise at first, highest among the entire network. The total journey time for 1 side was 75 minutes, which was also the longest, for total distance from Dharmatala was 13 Km. The terminus building was an old 8-wheeled tram car body, concept was also used previously in then Ultodingi terminus, Baliganj, and is still in a part of Dharmatala.

This line was the last extension of the network, inaugurated by then transport minister Rabin Mukhopadhyay. But he was over-emotional like me. He opened this line during pre-election code of conduct, and so suspended from his post. This was a great loss, because he was a blind tram-fan. During his reign, Ultodingi & Joka line opened, and tram service got very improvement like pre-seventies. Compare him with later hardcore anti-tram minister Shyamal Chakrabarti, who was almost decided to dismantle the entire network.

I last visited that line in 2002 by a direct tram route from Belgachhia to Joka. All direct tram services towards Dharmatala was closed after construction of Tartala flyover. The closure of remaining parts was only a waiting of time, which opened recently.

Thankfully, residents of Mominpur to Joka will soon get another electric-rail transport metro within 2016. It will be the best replacement of tram, for traveling pollution free.

By 2016, all 6 metro lines will be opened for public.

Tags
calcutta, kolkata, tram, transport, westbengal

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: