daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Architecture

Architecture architecture news, historical buildings and structures, places of worship, iconic buildings and structures, and famous architects & architecture

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2017, 04:50 AM   #121
dekechemist

Likes (Received): 72

I am quite impressed the number of old churches in Malaysia. It would be nice if anybody could share the interior of a beautifully furnished church. This is something I thought I only get to see in Europe or Manila, the very least.

Please enlighten me, why do many churches in the city area are on top of shoplots? I believe they have to pay the monthly rental as well. How do they generate revenue to sustain the church establishment in a premise that meant for commercial purpose? Are they exempted from paying city tax?
dekechemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2017, 12:45 PM   #122
ILM
Lawstudent,cityenthusiast

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekechemist View Post
I am quite impressed the number of old churches in Malaysia. It would be nice if anybody could share the interior of a beautifully furnished church. This is something I thought I only get to see in Europe or Manila, the very least.

Please enlighten me, why do many churches in the city area are on top of shoplots? I believe they have to pay the monthly rental as well. How do they generate revenue to sustain the church establishment in a premise that meant for commercial purpose? Are they exempted from paying city tax?
I don't know for sure but I was told that no new permits for church buildings (or rather non-Muslim places of worship) are allowed any more. IINM you can register a new church but not a church building. So the loophole is renting a commercial premise. All the churches that look like churches here are old, and date back to at least the 70s.

There is a very famous case of the Church of the Divine Mercy in Shah Alam having to wait 20 years for approval after being rejected countless times. The reason given was that Shah Alam was a Muslim majority area which did not need a church. Even after approval, it was told that the building must not 'look like a church', but must look like a factory instead.

http://choicewkend.blogspot.my/2010/...shah-alam.html

The Malaysian Skyscraper Forums
Quote:
'Whenever I see Kuala Lumpur's skyline, it feels as if KL Tower & Petronas Towers are the King & Queen of the skyscrapers. The rest, their loyal subjects.'
Quote:
'You can marry 10, 20 times in your life, but you will only be called to the Bar once!'

Last edited by ILM; April 7th, 2017 at 10:41 PM.
ILM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #123
han29

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekechemist View Post

My dad worked in a church and he basically said that it is basically next to impossible to build a new church in west malaysia. I mean, it still does happen, but it's obvious that they(the people in power) do not want to have to many church buildings in the country for obvious reasons.
han29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 03:08 AM   #124
xhakalaka

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by han29 View Post
My dad worked in a church and he basically said that it is basically next to impossible to build a new church in west malaysia. I mean, it still does happen, but it's obvious that they(the people in power) do not want to have to many church buildings in the country for obvious reasons.

shame
xhakalaka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 12:50 PM   #125
Kadzman

Likes (Received): 515

For a small town, Mantin N9 has an impressive Catholic church.

han29 liked this post
Kadzman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #126
Vince
Vince

Likes (Received): 1164

Quote:
Originally Posted by han29 View Post
Back when I was a kid there was a church occupying a semi-D in my Taman. The church could not get a permit even though it owned a piece of land. Later the government shut it down and it moved to Singapore over at Woodlands. Malaysia, you know.
Vince está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:45 PM   #127
Vince
Vince

Likes (Received): 1164

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhakalaka View Post
shame
At least Malaysia is still no Egypt. The Coptics there live in fear.
Vince está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 05:45 AM   #128
han29

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
Back when I was a kid there was a church occupying a semi-D in my Taman. The church could not get a permit even though it owned a piece of land. Later the government shut it down and it moved to Singapore over at Woodlands. Malaysia, you know.
Sometimes it's difficult to even get a permit to build a new church building on existing church land.
han29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #129
Imagon Hahaha

Likes (Received): 135

Fudge, I had no idea erecting even the simplest of churches would be such a hassle in Malaysia.Hope it'll get easier in the near future tho.

On a similar note, it has been quite a while since I've ever seen a church in person since I live in KB now.I guess the factor would be the considerably lower percentage of Christians in Kelantan.
Imagon Hahaha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 08:04 AM   #130
ILM
Lawstudent,cityenthusiast

Likes (Received): 808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagon Hahaha View Post
Fudge, I had no idea erecting even the simplest of churches would be such a hassle in Malaysia.Hope it'll get easier in the near future tho.

On a similar note, it has been quite a while since I've ever seen a church in person since I live in KB now.I guess the factor would be the considerably lower percentage of Christians in Kelantan.
That's strange. Every town which dates back to pre-independence times should at least have a church as the British 'promoted' it. Look closer, in the old quarters. My grandma used to teach in KB and she remembered attending a church there.

The Malaysian Skyscraper Forums
Quote:
'Whenever I see Kuala Lumpur's skyline, it feels as if KL Tower & Petronas Towers are the King & Queen of the skyscrapers. The rest, their loyal subjects.'
Quote:
'You can marry 10, 20 times in your life, but you will only be called to the Bar once!'
ILM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #131
Imagon Hahaha

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILM View Post
That's strange. Every town which dates back to pre-independence times should at least have a church as the British 'promoted' it. Look closer, in the old quarters. My grandma used to teach in KB and she remembered attending a church there.
Well,I'm quite an introvert outside of my personal and educational life so gallivanting around even in KB itself if that explains anything.But now that you mentioned it, I remember seeing a neon cross hanging on the facade of a building next to a Hindu "temple"(it really isn't design wise, similar to the church, another shop house serving as a religious institution).I see it every time I drove on the elevated road....and that one time I went to Domino's pizza across the road.
Imagon Hahaha no está en línea   Reply With Quote