daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #201
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Thanks. That makes sense considering that Amtrak stated last week "structural steel erection of the platform commencing in June" 2014.

Who got the contract?
Tutor-Perini?
Banker Steel Company.

It is a Tutor Perini design-build. As I understand it, Tutor Perini will self perform the installation.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2013, 05:29 AM   #202
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
Banker Steel Company.

It is a Tutor Perini design-build. As I understand it, Tutor Perini will self perform the installation.

Thank you for the information.

Is there any information on where the caisson installation/platform construction will start? I'm assuming the SE corner because Tutor Perini is already demolishing the LIRR bldg, building the tunnel box & then re-building the LIRR bldg, but that is just my assumption...

Incidentally, they seem to have done most of the demo in this photo by Hardcore Shutterbug ftaken 9-27-2013. So I find it believable that they could be drilling caissons in this area in January, besides excavating the trench/SOE for the Amtrak tunnel box:

Hardcore Shutterbug's original photo here, along with similar MOE building demo photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hardcor...g/10004173335/

This photo is taken from the below-surrounding-street-grade LIRR West Side Yard looking ~SE with the Coach tower site on the other side of the low structure on the right that is missing an enclosing wall. Both the Coach Tower and High Line are hidden by the MOE bldg (the low structure); the Hudson Yard platorm will be overbuilt over this location and the remaining portion of the MOE building, AFAIK..
image hosted on flickr

However the now-assembled drill rig provided by Becho Inc is still in the same approximate location in the NE corner of the same railyard. I have no idea if they will be drilling in this location with the rig or somehow (?how?) driving it over to the SE corner. Becho has worked for Tutor Perini previously. This shot (by the same Hardcore Shutterbug) is taken from LIRR employee footbridge above the rail yard looking WNW; the new #7 subway stations' vent building is behind the drill
I assume they will eventually be drilling caissons between the tracks for the overbuild platform. Note that this is a very active train yard: the #1 or #2 (depending upon the year) commuter rail road accumulates a large percentage of it's fleet here during the workday, waiting for the evening rush hour.
Dunno what "they" will do with the white building on the right when they get around to building the North Tower above it
image hosted on flickr

Highcliff, desertpunk liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; October 1st, 2013 at 06:11 AM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 05:50 AM   #203
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Dunno exactly what the "Filagree concrete" is but here's the photo.
The FB text also states "it's only a matter of time before the South Tower peeks above the fence.":

Source: HY FB page 9/30/2013

Filagree concrete is cast-in-place concrete placed on pre-cast panels. It is popular for Atlantic City hotels. Not used too often in NYC.
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:18 AM   #204
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkkk View Post
Filagree concrete is cast-in-place concrete placed on pre-cast panels. It is popular for Atlantic City hotels. Not used too often in NYC.
What would be the advantage of using such building techniques? Why's the Coach tower using this method?
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 03:17 AM   #205
solgoldberg

Filagree panel placed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawooho View Post
What would be the advantage of using such building techniques? Why's the Coach tower using this method?
Good question.

I took the LIRR to Penn today & walked the two avenues over to the Coach Tower site. BEAUTIFUL day.

I watched from the current north end of the PARK section of the High Line. The southern tower crane was lifting filagree panels from a delivery truck and placing them on relatively modest looking steel.

Photo is looking north, not-yet-park section of High Line is in foreground. Rehabbed HL (next HL section to open??) is on left, un-rehabbed is on right. "Core" of Coach tower is offscreen to right.
Original photo here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8129797...3966/lightbox/

image hosted on flickr

Highcliff liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2013, 04:25 AM   #206
solgoldberg

Drill rig moved to 10th Ave

Quote:
Thank you for the information.

Is there any information on where the caisson installation/platform construction will start? I'm assuming the SE corner because Tutor Perini is already demolishing the LIRR bldg, building the tunnel box & then re-building the LIRR bldg, but that is just my assumption...

However the now-assembled drill rig provided by Becho Inc is still in the same approximate location in the NE corner of the same railyard. I have no idea if they will be drilling in this location with the rig or somehow (?how?) driving it over to the SE corner. Becho has worked for Tutor Perini previously. This shot (by the same Hardcore Shutterbug) is taken from LIRR employee footbridge above the rail yard looking WNW; the new #7 subway stations' vent building is behind the drill
Dunno what "they" will do with the white building on the right when they get around to building the North Tower above it
image hosted on flickr
They apparently moved the Becho Inc provided drill rig to the west side of 10th Ave, above where they had demolished part of the LIRR MOE bldg. I assume it's drilling to help create retaining wall structures enabling Tutor-Perini to start excavating for the Amtrak tunnel box in the LIRR rail yard below. The photo below shows it in action.

Note that there's a Bauer GB30 drilling rig mast laying unmounted horizontally in the rail yard itself.

The photo is looking east from the 11th Ave viaduct; the Coach Tower site is offscreen to the right.

image hosted on flickr

orange boy, Highcliff, the dogi liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; October 2nd, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 05:39 PM   #207
mmkkk

Likes (Received): 31

The two Becho drills will be used for the secant walls to support the Amtrak tunnel. There are secant wall forms near the other drills mast, The drill will be brought down the ramp into the site. BTW, Becho is a subsidiary of Tudor-Perini

solgoldberg liked this post
mmkkk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 08:33 PM   #208
solgoldberg

Coach tower and surrounding structures

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmkkk View Post
The two Becho drills will be used for the secant walls to support the Amtrak tunnel. There are secant wall forms near the other drills mast, The drill will be brought down the ramp into the site. BTW, Becho is a subsidiary of Tudor-Perini
Thanks for that information.

Am I correct that the ramp will be demolished this year so that they can start drilling for the secant walls?

Will the southern end of the MOE building be left basically intact?

Here's another view of the relationship between the tunnel box construction, the remaining section of the MOE building, the Coach tower & the High Line

Looking east on 9/30/2013 from the southern portion of the 11th Ave viaduct. I like the razor wire fencing separating the two construction sites. Looks like good progress on the foundations for the Culture Shed/Extension.

Original photo here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10072366355/

From the overbuild platform standpoint, it does look like the High Line and MOE building roof are ~the same elevation. But if you knock the parapet off the roof of the MOE building...

image hosted on flickr

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; October 3rd, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 09:01 PM   #209
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2801

Plenty of activity today. More and more of the building is popping up above the High Line!

image hosted on flickr

jglover1028

There's also some intense demo going on down here. Not sure what they're busting up, but it's cool to see how deep the High Line footings go.

image hosted on flickr

jglover1028

iamtheSTIG, solgoldberg, Highcliff liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:19 PM   #210
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Plenty of activity today. More and more of the building is popping up above the High Line!

image hosted on flickr

jglover1028

There's also some intense demo going on down here. Not sure what they're busting up, but it's cool to see how deep the High Line footings go.

image hosted on flickr

jglover1028

Neat!
Thanks!

You can see the drill rig on 10th Ave behind the tower crane with the white bottom in your original photo. They'll probably be drilling on 10th Ave for a while. But maybe platform steel will start going up in 2H2014 and we'll start to see how all this ties together in reality.

In your bottom photo I thought they were building the caissons/whatever foundations for the columns that would support the Coach Tower over the High Line. The western form has a steel column in the concrete: maybe they forgot to put the steel in the eastern form's concrete? :-)

Here's my contribution to this mystery, from Tuesday:

image hosted on flickr

Original: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8129797...n/photostream/

j-biz, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; October 3rd, 2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:32 PM   #211
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Quote:
In your bottom photo I thought they were building the caissons/whatever foundations for the columns that would support the Coach Tower over the High Line. The western form has a steel column in the concrete: maybe they forgot to put the steel in the eastern form's concrete? :-)
Oh my god... you're so right. What bozos!
Old October 4th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #212
solgoldberg

Quote:
Oh my god... you're so right. What bozos!
I, of course, have no idea what happened.

I do think these are some of the foundations for the columns, but it would be useful if somebody with more knowledge commented.

I remember thinking that a previous excavation in this area was the beginning of the foundations: somebody else corrected me. It was trenching to bring the utilities into the tower from 30th St...

In any case, that end of the High Line is a pleasant viewing platform AND it's got a water fountain.

Anybody know when phase 3 of the HL opens next year?
Old October 4th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #213
solgoldberg

Quote:
Thanks for that information.

Will the southern end of the MOE building be left basically intact?

Here's another view of the relationship between the tunnel box construction, the remaining section of the MOE building, the Coach tower & the High Line

Looking east on 9/30/2013 from the southern portion of the 11th Ave viaduct. I like the razor wire fencing separating the two construction sites. Looks like good progress on the foundations for the Culture Shed/Extension.

Original photo here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/10072366355/

From the overbuild platform standpoint, it does look like the High Line and MOE building roof are ~the same elevation. But if you knock the parapet off the roof of the MOE building...

image hosted on flickr
I realized that I had a photo of the MOE that shows the "parapet", which is fairly tall. It also looks like the windows you see in the MOE buidling when you look from the HL/30th street (or from 11th Ave in the above photo) open onto roof, not an interior space. So, if you remove the parapet you knock more than a few feet of the building's height.

So you could run the platform over the roof, as is implied in the tunnel box study that said this portion of the building does not get demolished and rebuilt.

Photo is looking SW from the east side sidewalk of 10th Ave, a little bit north of 31st street. The to-be-demolished-and-not-rebuilt ramp down to the yard is just off-screen on the right. Photo is a bit confusing but you can see the south wall "parapet" (w/ dummy windows) of the MOE building because they knocked down the 1oth Ave black "privacy" wall where the drill rig is. That gap is somewhat obscured by the construction barriers/fence in 10th Ave. You can also see a sliver of the yellow forms/scaffolding/lumber/whatever of the Coach tower peaking over the top of the MOE bldg's white parapet. The full resolution of the photo is available in the Original link

I should have walked across the Ave & taken some photos (I was wearing my freebie NEWS12 ballcap) but I didn't.

image hosted on flickr

Original: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8129797...n/photostream/

iamtheSTIG liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; October 4th, 2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old October 7th, 2013, 03:32 PM   #214
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

UrbanImpressionist at SSP posted a ton of great overhead shots of the site from OHM.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=234
Old October 7th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #215
solgoldberg

Quote:
UrbanImpressionist at SSP posted a ton of great overhead shots of the site from OHM.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=234

Thanks!

I checked my SSP PM and he had responded to my request for more overhead photos. He also stated that there is 24/7 construction related activity in the yard. I assume some of that is related to the reconfiguration of the large (but not large enough for SS Sandy) storm sewers in the yard. That's what I assume the current trenching and large black pipes in the south side of the ERY are for. I'm also assuming they will use the storm sewers for disposal of the dewatering water once they start the actual trenching for the tunnel box. Otherwise they have to truck it off site...

This 10/3/2013 UrbanImpressionist photo gives a nice view of what I've been speculating about recently. Namely that the 1st section of platform to be built WILL fit over the remaining portion of the MOE building after they remove the building's parapet.

It looks like you can see (upper left) that there's already a portion of secant pile wall holding back 10th Ave where the drill has been in operation. The second drill's mast is still lying un-assembled on the ERY ground.

UrbanImpressionist photo:

More resolution at the source: http://www.urbanimpressionist.com/mi...HY_OCT03-1.jpg

IIRC some of the renderings showed a parking garage under the platform between the coach tower and the Culture Shed. You would drive under the 3rd phase High Line park to get between the parking garage and W30th street. Is that what's being built now in the approximate middle of the photo?

TowerVerre:), iamtheSTIG liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; October 7th, 2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old October 7th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #216
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4665

judging by those photos, im guessing the core and floor plates will be built at the same rate instead of the core shooting upwards ahead of everything else?

I wonder how quickly this tower will rise as well
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #217
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
judging by those photos, im guessing the core and floor plates will be built at the same rate instead of the core shooting upwards ahead of everything else?

I wonder how quickly this tower will rise as well
Dunno, but they seem to be making good progress now. Perhaps somebody with actual knowledge will comment?

The photo below is a zoomed-in snip from the higher-res version of UrbanImpressiosts' photo above.
In the lower right you can see the north end of the park section of the High Line, which is a good vantage point for seeing/capturing the tower rise's above the High Line/MOE building roof elevation.

image hosted on flickr

Original photo by UrbanImpresionist: http://www.urbanimpressionist.com/mi...HY_OCT03-1.jpg

Regrding the exciting topic of parking garages in the Hudson Yards superblock, the sustainability portion of HY web page does list:
Garage Exhaust: The exhaust fans in the parking garage are modulated according to carbon monoxide levels rather than run at constant volume.
so I assume that they are in the process of building a parking garage under the platform in this area.

There's gonna be a LOT of vent infrastructure under the platform because you also have the rail yard (& the heat from it's electric trains) & the reconstructed MOE building under there & maybe an electrical substation?

Subsequence liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; October 8th, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #218
solgoldberg

The UrbanImpressionist photo snip above has a somewhat similar perspective to the snip below. taken from a HY rendering by Visualhouse. If you compare the two it looks they might be pouring the concrete for the deck that supports the plaza between the Coach Tower & the Cultures Shed this week

the rendering has an unknown date but it shows how the HighLine flows somehow onto the plaza that is-a-building in the photo above. The rendering also shows that the twin caissons that appear in earlier postings might actually be the foundation for the wide, westernmost, column supporting the SW corner of the Coach Tower.

The High Line currently closes at night. If that continues in 2014 when the 3rd phase open, how will they isolate the High Line park from the Coach/Culture plaza?

image hosted on flickr

The 9/2012 Visualhouse render below shows just a few steps leading up to the South Tower-Culture Shed plaza from the Phase 3 High Line and no obvious barrier to control access to the existing phase 2 High Line at right:

image hosted on flickr

Fullres HY source: http://content.related.com/hyimages/...-dv-092012.jpg

And just as a reminder of progress, this Timothy Schenck photo from thehighline.org shows how the HL phase 3 section looked earlier this year when they were prepping it. View is looking east (same as render above): the open-to-the-public Phase 2 section (& it's barrier) is at photo right where shrubs are visible. The article date is April & obviously before either tower crane for the Coach Tower was assembled:

Via HL.org: http://www.thehighline.org/sites/def...-schenck-5.png

TowerVerre:), iamtheSTIG, McSky liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; October 8th, 2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old October 10th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #219
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Core jump??

Old October 10th, 2013, 11:55 PM   #220
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6562

fantastic to see the core rising above ground already
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote