search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2017, 04:27 AM   #2701
verbatim9

Likes (Received): 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianc68 View Post
I was cycling near the Mains Rd onramp and took particular note of the speed signage. Sadly it's signed 60 at the start of the on ramp and isn't signed 100 until just AFTER the merge! This is insane but explains why so many drivers don't speed up sufficiently to merge - technically they could get a speeding ticket doing so....
It's has something to do with the constant congestion and safety. You don't want people speeding up to 100 prior to the onramp.
verbatim9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2017, 04:31 AM   #2702
brianc68

Likes (Received): 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbatim9 View Post
It's has something to do with the constant congestion and safety. You don't want people speeding up to 100 prior to the onramp.
It's not prior to the onramp. That IS the onramp. You can easily see if there's congestion from the start of the onramp anyway and the onramp is dual lane with the left lane not even technically merging.
brianc68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 04:45 AM   #2703
verbatim9

Likes (Received): 504

But people will speed up if they saw a 100 at the on ramp. I don't think even LA freeways have 65mph on their on ramps. Also contolled by traffic lights to control the flow of traffic onto the freeway.
verbatim9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 08:03 AM   #2704
Garevans

Likes (Received): 248

Quote:
But if it has something to do with safety, it is more unsafe to have motorists joining the motorway at 70km/hr which is exactly what happens everyday!!

The sign at the start of the offramp needs to be 80km/h not 60.

brianc68 liked this post
Garevans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #2705
sneakey pete

Likes (Received): 38

very unlikely to be ticked in those areas. Can't have a fixed camera in that area as there's a speed change, so would only be upto officers discretion if they happened to be driving around at the time. And generally if they were behind you they'd probably be more annoyed if you stuck to 60 the whole way up.
sneakey pete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 02:23 AM   #2706
Fyver

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Pfft, thats unAustralian. Some of my top speeds have been on onramps.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not those of my employer, its subsidiaries, clients and partners, not necessarily mine, probably not necessary, and don't intentionally mean to kill the fun.
Fyver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #2707
brianc68

Quote:
But people will speed up if they saw a 100 at the on ramp. I don't think even LA freeways have 65mph on their on ramps. Also contolled by traffic lights to control the flow of traffic onto the freeway.
Yes actually they do on many. And where they don't they don't show a lower speed limit at the start of the ramp - i.e. they don't have any speed sign at all which means people don't feel they have to delay speeding up to merge.

Last edited by brianc68; September 25th, 2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old September 25th, 2017, 08:56 AM   #2708
brianc68

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakey pete View Post
very unlikely to be ticked in those areas. Can't have a fixed camera in that area as there's a speed change, so would only be upto officers discretion if they happened to be driving around at the time. And generally if they were behind you they'd probably be more annoyed if you stuck to 60 the whole way up.
Yes it's unlikely but many people simply won't speed up if they see a 60 sign until they see the 100 sign regardless of the odds of being nabbed.
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:08 AM   #2709
Levathian
Dance again

Likes (Received): 1450

Has anyone here used the Logan Rd inbound M3 onramp before? It needs a redesign.

Speaking of roads, the road network around 8 Mile Plains station needs a rework. In morning peak it can sometimes take 10mins to get from School Rd to the 8MP station drop off because all the traffic going inbound along Miles Platting Road backs up past School Rd, as it has to merge to go through the 2 lane bridge over the M3.

In the afternoon, everyone driving out of the park n' ride on the other side of the road, near Holmead Rd, face delays getting onto Miles Platting Rd because there's no lights and too much traffic.

brianc68 liked this post

Last edited by Levathian; September 26th, 2017 at 08:16 AM.
Levathian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 11:29 AM   #2710
brianc68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levathian View Post
Has anyone here used the Logan Rd inbound M3 onramp before? It needs a redesign.

Speaking of roads, the road network around 8 Mile Plains station needs a rework. In morning peak it can sometimes take 10mins to get from School Rd to the 8MP station drop off because all the traffic going inbound along Miles Platting Road backs up past School Rd, as it has to merge to go through the 2 lane bridge over the M3.

In the afternoon, everyone driving out of the park n' ride on the other side of the road, near Holmead Rd, face delays getting onto Miles Platting Rd because there's no lights and too much traffic.
Yeah the Logan Rd M3 on ramp is a bit weird looking but at least it doesn't seem to hold me up at least.

The roads around the EMP bus stations are just horrible in the morning in both directions. I avoid it like the plague. Even getting off the Gateway and turning right into Miles Platting Rd and past the station is just tedious..
Old September 26th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #2711
jonwil

Likes (Received): 820

All those delays dont help the efficiency of bus services in the area either...
jonwil está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #2712
Levathian
Dance again

Likes (Received): 1450

I can't wait until they extend the busway to Springwood and build the new station near Rochedale South/Underwood area at School Rd. Would do wonders for the speed of the 555 and other Logan buses which have to sit in traffic on the Pacific each morning.

My thoughts would be to:
1. Build an offramp/on ramp from the M3 southbound to Gateway southbound, and vice versa, to reduce traffic on Logan Rd, and then add more exits onto the Gateway extension. (does it still need to be tolled?)
2. Replace the Miles Platting bridge over the M3 to a 4 lane one, and expand bridge over the Gateway to a 6 lane
3. Expand the P n' R at 8MP and build a new pedestrian overpass over Miles Platting for better access to the station
4. Some sort of direct connection between Gaskell St/Logan Rd intersection and 8MP station, potentially pedestrian
5. Extend busway to Springwood, new station at Rochedale, extend 111 to this new station
6. Install traffic lights at Holmead Rd

aldonius liked this post
Levathian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #2713
Garevans

Likes (Received): 248

Channel 7 just did a traffic report with an aerial shot of the new Rothwell Roundabout intersection upgrade and oh my god why are the medians concrete!! They're so wide, put trees and plants there instead. Heat Island effect much!!
Garevans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 05:43 AM   #2714
Fyver

Logan Enhancement Project (obs from driving through):

Main interchange: Looks like the majority of clearing has been done. Drainage, grading and ground works have started. Temporary barriers etc installed. Replacement fencing of the bushland seem to be done or almost done. Road work will start this week apparently.

Wembly Road: Much of the above.

Gateway extension widening: Clearing works nearing completing, some ground works. Illaweena Street bridge drainage works underway (Illaweena St closed).

Compton Rd on/off ramps: Clearing looks complete. It seems there's a fair amount of fill to go in.

So much tree clearance, feels dirty driving through there. Coming off the gateway south at compton road looks weird as you get to the top.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not those of my employer, its subsidiaries, clients and partners, not necessarily mine, probably not necessary, and don't intentionally mean to kill the fun.
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:00 PM   #2715
TOCC

Likes (Received): 2530

BRISBANE: Road and Infrastructure Projects

DTMR set to release a draft assessment on the rail corridor from Salisbury to Beaudesert, 11 stations in total, with 2 passenger tracks running parallel to the 2 freight tracks. Obviously wont be constructed in the next decade. But preserve the land today so there is at least the opportunity later on, especially with all the growth going on out there.

I drove Beaudesert to Brisbane yesterday, and already the Bromelton Intermodal facility has provided a boost to the region with new industry going in. There’s quite a bit of housing development along the Beaudesert Rd corridor, it would be nice to have the rail corridor locked in so town planning can be shaped to suit future rail accessibility.

Aussie Bhoy, aldonius, fish.01 liked this post
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 12:53 AM   #2716
Fyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
the 2 freight tracks.
2 freight tracks?
Old November 7th, 2017, 12:54 AM   #2717
Fyver

SEB Veloway can't be far off, I'd guess around christmas time for opening.

brianc68, fish.01 liked this post
Old November 7th, 2017, 02:14 AM   #2718
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyver View Post
2 freight tracks?
Yep, total of 4. It will be needed if it is taking all the western line traffic, there are selected points of the day at present where there are almost as many freights as passenger trains west of Darra.

The alignment really needs some straightening out all the way from Acacia Ridge to Greenbank.

Victor P. Taffa
SurfRail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 02:17 AM   #2719
Fyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfRail View Post
The alignment really needs some straightening out all the way from Acacia Ridge to Greenbank.
Really, 4 tracks? there's no way 4 will fit down that corridor as it stands..
Old November 7th, 2017, 02:38 AM   #2720
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3333

That's why they've been open about the need for resumptions.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy no está en línea   Reply With Quote