search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2015, 02:44 AM   #41
xfung

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandonov View Post
Here's my idea for how the transport network in Rhodes and Wentworth Point could work:

Substantial part of the route Silverwater and Wentworth point goes along parks (eg. Millenium parklands along Holker Ave and Hill Rd).

This raises the possibility of putting the light rail route on the edge of these parks instead of on the roadway... I'd imagine there would be a lot of cost saving there as there wouldn't be the utility relocation and traffic management issues that would arise if light rail was built on existing roadways?
xfung no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #42
woodies

Likes (Received): 40

Has anyone considered the fact that the Government's option for a route from Parramatta to Macquarie Park via Carlingford hasn't actually mentioned Epping (although it's been mentioned by others), which you would think would be a logical destination on this route. Are they keeping their options open by looking at the potential routes via Eastwood or Epping? The former would appear to be the most logical and was the preferred option in Parramatta Council's original feasibility report, being the most direct and within an existing reserved transport corridor. Eastwood also has greater redevelopment potential than Epping and Carlingford combined.
woodies no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #43
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 1048

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodies View Post
H Eastwood also has greater redevelopment potential than Epping and Carlingford combined.
How do you figure that? Ask most SSC posters how they reckon the attitude to development in Eastwood compares with Epping?
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #44
woodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco-rat View Post
How do you figure that? Ask most SSC posters how they reckon the attitude to development in Eastwood compares with Epping?
Eco-rat, you obviously haven't been to Eastwood. It's a much larger retail/commercial centre than Epping (83,000 sq m v 69,000 sq m) and its development has been held back because of an intransigent Ryde Council which has thwarted every attempt to update the Town Centre Master Plan. But this situation can't go on forever. If Eastwood was given the benefit of the same planning controls as Epping, it would easily outstrip it.

While Epping is a major transport interchange, so is Eastwood with multiple regional bus routes and also an interchange station for Newcastle/Central Coast Intercity train services.

The owners of the Eastwood Shopping Centre, the Yuhu Group, have proposed a $300 million mixed use redevelopment including 500 apartments in the middle of the town centre which would be a catalyst for further redevelopment if the planning controls are updated. The Eastwood Chamber of Commerce is fed up with Ryde Council's negative attitude to redevelopment and held a meeting a week ago with the Mayor of Hornsby to discuss a possible merger of Eastwood with Hornsby. Parramatta Council is also interested in taking it over.

The selection of the Parramatta to Macquarie Park Light Rail route via Eastwood would further enhance its redevelopment potential.
Old July 6th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #45
Eco-rat

Quote:
Eco-rat, you obviously haven't been to Eastwood. It's a much larger retail/commercial centre than Epping (83,000 sq m v 69,000 sq m) and its development has been held back because of an intransigent Ryde Council which has thwarted every attempt to update the Town Centre Master Plan. But this situation can't go on forever. If Eastwood was given the benefit of the same planning controls as Epping, it would easily outstrip it. While Epping is a major transport interchange, so is Eastwood with multiple regional bus routes and also an interchange station for Newcastle/Central Coast Intercity train services. The owners of the Eastwood Shopping Centre, the Yuhu Group, have proposed a $300 million mixed use redevelopment including 500 apartments in the middle of the town centre which would be a catalyst for further redevelopment if the planning controls are updated. The Eastwood Chamber of Commerce is fed up with Ryde Council's negative attitude to redevelopment and held a meeting a week ago with the Mayor of Hornsby to discuss a possible merger of Eastwood with Hornsby. Parramatta Council is also interested in taking it over. The selection of the Parramatta to Macquarie Park Light Rail route via Eastwood would further enhance its redevelopment potential.
I used to live in Eastwood you ****wit.

And everything you wrote about Ryde Council is why it has no potential. And express trains stopping at Eastwood is something the Minister fir Transport can change atbthe stroke of a pen, as the people of Kogarah discovered.
Old July 6th, 2015, 03:10 PM   #46
Eco-rat

I keep forgetting.

The average quality of visitors to this forum declines accordingly.

michael_n_ liked this post
Old July 7th, 2015, 02:44 PM   #47
woodies

Quote:
I used to live in Eastwood you ****wit.

And everything you wrote about Ryde Council is why it has no potential. And express trains stopping at Eastwood is something the Minister fir Transport can change atbthe stroke of a pen, as the people of Kogarah discovered.
What's your problem Eco-rat? I gave what I thought was a reasoned response to your question. There's no need for such insulting language and insinuations. You're behaving like a spoilt brat just because someone has a different opinion to yours. If you can't respond in a respectful manner, then shut up!
Old July 7th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #48
Eco-rat

Quote:
What's your problem Eco-rat? I gave what I thought was a reasoned response to your question. There's no need for such insulting language and insinuations. You're behaving like a spoilt brat just because someone has a different opinion to yours. If you can't respond in a respectful manner, then shut up!
You've even been mentioned in a thread in the Skybar. Equated with Llib and computeruser. Press the button, out comes the wikipedia version.

Try to get a bit more of a sense of who you are replying to before you post.
Old July 8th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #49
woodies

Quote:
You've even been mentioned in a thread in the Skybar. Equated with Llib and computeruser. Press the button, out comes the wikipedia version.

Try to get a bit more of a sense of who you are replying to before you post.
I think you've got a mistaken identity there mate. An apology would be nice.
Old October 14th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #50
nameless dude

Likes (Received): 824

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1227568110607

Bradfield Oration: All aboard for the West’s rail links
Quote:
WESTERN Sydney residents could benefit from two new light rail routes being built at the same time under an expanded public transport plan worth more than $2 billion.

High-level sources confirmed the Baird Government is supportive of a network running from Westmead and through the Parramatta CBD, before splitting into two lines at Camellia, allowing passengers to travel to either Carlingford or Strathfield.

But the Strathfield route, which would run through Rosehill Gardens, Camellia and Sydney Olympic Park, would need to be paid for mainly from developer contributions.

A government source said the cost of the full network would be well over $2 billion.

The Government, which is expected to make an announcement soon, is also negotiating with Parramatta City Council to contribute funds.

Sydney City Council has pumped $200 million into the eastern suburbs light rail, expected to be completed by early 2019.

A consortium of 20 high-profile businesses have been lobbying the Government to sign off on the Olympic Park route to stimulate development across the Camellia peninsular.

A report by Deloitte found that up to $3 billion could be raised in development levies from the private sector.

Western Sydney Leadership Dialogue chairman Christopher Brown said the money would help clean up industrial wastelands around the Shell refinery and former James Hardie asbestos plant, enabling new homes for 100,000 people to be built over the next 20 years.

“If and when the Government *decides to build this vital link, the private sector is well prepared to pay its way to ease the burden on taxpayers,’’ he said. “Every apartment block built is one less chemical plant, one less oil refinery, one less asbestos factory.’’

Mr Brown said up to 108,000 jobs could be created across the “Olympic corridor”, more than Barangaroo, Green Square, the Bays Precinct and the Central-to-Eveleigh projects put together.

Western Sydney University vice-chancellor Barney Glover and University of Sydney vice-*chancellor Michael Spence have thrown their support behind the expanded plan.

“A light rail system that connects our students and Westmead’s *knowledge-job workforce with other key employment precincts across Western Sydney will be an important driver for the region’s future economic development,” Prof Glover said.

The University of Sydney plans to increase student numbers at the Westmead precinct from 2000 to 6000 by 2036, while Western Sydney University has announced plans to *redevelop its Westmead campus.

"Artist's impression"

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/7...2494?width=650

Meanwhile, this article claims the route is expected to be announced next week, with 'stage 1' running from Westmead to Camellia:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...=newslocal_rss

mandonov liked this post

Last edited by nameless dude; October 14th, 2015 at 01:50 AM.
nameless dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2015, 02:50 AM   #51
Michael_Parramatta

Likes (Received): 206

Would light rail have lots of stops along the way or is it just point a to point b? For example, assuming it ran along Macquarie St in Parramatta and then along George or Hassal st, could people embark at Robin Thomas Reserve? I know there is no official detail yet but I have just been trying to work out how light rail would fit into a very crowded CBD area. Macquarie St cuts off at Robin Thomas Reserve so I guess it would have to make a turn. It wouldn't go underground would it?
Michael_Parramatta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 12:16 AM   #52
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

Would it use the existing Carlingford line?

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #53
woodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneCity View Post
Would it use the existing Carlingford line?
The route to Strathfield via Sydney Olympic Park wouldn't, although it would cross it, but a route to Carlingford (and by implication to Macquarie Park) would. There is also the possibility that the Carlingford Line south of Camellia to Clyde would form part of a future line to Bankstown.

michael_n_ liked this post
Old November 10th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #54
zoomwhoosh

Likes (Received): 681

http://www.afr.com/real-estate/chine...0151109-gku9tu

Another huge development south west of Olympic Park, east of Haslams Creek, and north of the M4.

Reason I put this in this thread is I'm reminded that the WestLine light rail proposal wants to go via Carter Street.
zoomwhoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 05:08 AM   #55
michael_n_

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
The route to Strathfield via Sydney Olympic Park wouldn't, although it would cross it, but a route to Carlingford (and by implication to Macquarie Park) would. There is also the possibility that the Carlingford Line south of Camellia to Clyde would form part of a future line to Bankstown.
Although I don't live in Sydney now, I am looking at what you wrote here and from my time using those lines over the decades, I 100% agree. It makes sense. Carlingford from my time there was difficult to get to, but also as part of a future line to Bankstown - sorely needed.
michael_n_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 04:05 PM   #56
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_n_ View Post
Although I don't live in Sydney now, I am looking at what you wrote here and from my time using those lines over the decades, I 100% agree. It makes sense. Carlingford from my time there was difficult to get to, but also as part of a future line to Bankstown - sorely needed.
There is already a perfectly good rail line from Lidcombe to Bankstown. What's actually needed is a much better frequency on the Regents Park line so that interchanges at Lidcombe are faster.

What I've suggested is cutting off the Regents Park line (including the branches to Bankstown and Cabramatta) at Lidcombe and then connecting it to a new line that goes to Olympic Park, Rhodes, Top Ryde and then Macquarie Park.

So you'd have a new metro that takes you from Sydney Metro south at Bankstown, to Sydney Metro north at Macquarie Park. In the middle (at Olympic Park) you can connect to a high speed service that takes you to Parramatta and the CBD.

In this scenario, the Carlingford line would be converted to light rail and any extension from Carlingford station would be optional, as you'd have instead a fast route from Parramatta to Macquarie Park. A few minutes to Olympic Park, interchange and then under 10 minutes to Macquarie Park.
Old November 15th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #57
snowboard99

Likes (Received): 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwhoosh View Post
There is already a perfectly good rail line from Lidcombe to Bankstown. What's actually needed is a much better frequency on the Regents Park line so that interchanges at Lidcombe are faster.

What I've suggested is cutting off the Regents Park line (including the branches to Bankstown and Cabramatta) at Lidcombe and then connecting it to a new line that goes to Olympic Park, Rhodes, Top Ryde and then Macquarie Park.

So you'd have a new metro that takes you from Sydney Metro south at Bankstown, to Sydney Metro north at Macquarie Park. In the middle (at Olympic Park) you can connect to a high speed service that takes you to Parramatta and the CBD.

In this scenario, the Carlingford line would be converted to light rail and any extension from Carlingford station would be optional, as you'd have instead a fast route from Parramatta to Macquarie Park. A few minutes to Olympic Park, interchange and then under 10 minutes to Macquarie Park.
Not a bad idea. I'm a big advocate of the old 'Sydney Metro Line 3' aka Macquarie Park to Hurstville line, and have also been wondering where Bankstown/Cabramatta/Lidcombe left over track fit into the picture.

Your idea works as part of that line to do something about both - A3 alignment from Macquarie Park to Olympic Park, existing track from Lidcombe branching to Cabramatta and Bankstown, but then this branch continues in rail alignment to Punchbowl before heading back along the A3 alignment to Hurstville via Roselands and Beverly Hills.

It would work well as a collector and cross line orbital, and opens up Olympic Park and Macquarie Park to easy public transport access from the South for the first time.

My thoughts had previously been along the lines of some in this thread to combine the Lidcombe/Cabramatta/Bankstown tracks into the Western Sydney light rail somehow but I like this better.
snowboard99 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 04:41 AM   #58
OZ Rails

Likes (Received): 210

I too am a big fan of the old Metro 3 and I think it or something similar is a must in the future. I have often thought of the same thing a you guys are talking about here, running the line from Hurstville through Beverley Hills up to the existing corridor at Punchbowl and Bankstown and then using the existing line through Regants Park to Lidcombe where i would drop to run through the existing Olympic Park station up to Rhodes and onto Macquarie Park. The thing that stops me is that I think it would be a bit far west for the Hurstville section in providing connectivity to Macquarie Park when you compare it to the original proposal. Maybe worth it for the connectivity to Bankstown which is meant to be a major centre in coming years.
OZ Rails no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 07:29 AM   #59
zoomwhoosh

I'm thinking that post Sydney Metro you should be able to catch an express from Hurstville to Sydenham and then tak the Metro from there to MP.
Old November 16th, 2015, 07:58 AM   #60
OZ Rails

Likes (Received): 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwhoosh View Post
I'm thinking that post Sydney Metro you should be able to catch an express from Hurstville to Sydenham and then tak the Metro from there to MP.
While this is true, I think the line is also about connecting centres using a non CBD based North South route covering areas that don't currently get rail services where residents tend to make trips via car (basically covering the A3 road corridor).
OZ Rails no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mandurahboyz