search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #21
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentthomson View Post
I find it incredible that Qld Motorways have chosen to install the toll gantries at the site of the existing toll plazas where the pavements are very wide. This is especially true of the Kuraby plaza in the second pic. Notice the wide lanes, this is just south of the toll plaza. Why didn't they move the gantry 500 metres or so further north where the road is just a regular 4 lane freeway? Still would've captured the same traffic, and could've saved bucketloads.
You could never work for Qld motorways Trent. You're far too logical.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #22
TOCC

Likes (Received): 2540

Quote:
Hmmm the Gateway Bridge gets the nice classy toll gantry while the Kuraby plaza gets the shitty $2 one.

I find it incredible that Qld Motorways have chosen to install the toll gantries at the site of the existing toll plazas where the pavements are very wide. This is especially true of the Kuraby plaza in the second pic. Notice the wide lanes, this is just south of the toll plaza. Why didn't they move the gantry 500 metres or so further north where the road is just a regular 4 lane freeway? Still would've captured the same traffic, and could've saved bucketloads.
is it possible the have planned for extra lanes in the future
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #23
Fyver

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca-GC View Post
You could never work for Qld motorways Trent. You're far too logical.
Except your forgetting the 500m additional of expensive cabling back to the equipment room. The existing plaza has most of the infrastructure required there already, so I guess the question was raised, build new, or use existing, I guess the better (cheaper) option was choosen.

Cost of additional cabling/trenching/conduiting etc or new equipment rooms which require all new services (AC, and consumer mains power connection) for example) etc versus a few extra metres of steel probably evened out.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not those of my employer, its subsidiaries, clients and partners, not necessarily mine, probably not necessary, and don't intentionally mean to kill the fun.
Fyver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #24
trentthomson
Former Member

Likes (Received): 0

That would make sense except the gantries which have been installed on the Logan Motorway at Stapylton are several hundred metres from the existing toll plaza.
trentthomson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #25
Fyver

Quote:
That would make sense except the gantries which have been installed on the Logan Motorway at Stapylton are several hundred metres from the existing toll plaza.
1.2kms to be precise...

Stapylton Rd on and off ramp allignments are changing (significantly), probably forced them to move it away...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not those of my employer, its subsidiaries, clients and partners, not necessarily mine, probably not necessary, and don't intentionally mean to kill the fun.
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #26
trentthomson
Former Member

Yes it would seem Stapylton Rd is being converted to a diamond/dumbbell interchange. I haven't figured out exactly the configuration of Loganlea Rd yet.
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #27
Fyver

Want me to make it easy for you?

http://www.qldmotorways.com.au/curre...roadworks.aspx

Last edited by Fyver; April 16th, 2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #28
trentthomson
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyver View Post
Thanks! I didn't realise they had a new website.

When will Queensland get standard (and predictable) interchanges for its motorways. Having non-standard and inconsistent designs (practically every interchange on the Logan Mwy falls into this category) makes it more dangerous for drivers. The eastbound offramp to Wembley Rd is always looking smashed up because people aren't expecting the squiggly offramp and the tight hairpin that follows...

EDIT: Holy hell, the Stayplton Rd interchange is worse!
http://www.qldmotorways.com.au/_CMSI...wood%20Map.pdf
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #29
Marty_

Likes (Received): 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
is it possible the have planned for extra lanes in the future
I think this is probably the correct assessment. I drove through it the other day and it would appear that there's room for 6 lanes if necessary. Future upgrade perhaps...
Marty_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #30
nikko
Registered Yooser

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Thanks! I didn't realise they had a new website.

When will Queensland get standard (and predictable) interchanges for its motorways. Having non-standard and inconsistent designs (practically every interchange on the Logan Mwy falls into this category) makes it more dangerous for drivers. The eastbound offramp to Wembley Rd is always looking smashed up because people aren't expecting the squiggly offramp and the tight hairpin that follows...

EDIT: Holy hell, the Stayplton Rd interchange is worse!
http://www.qldmotorways.com.au/_CMSI...wood%20Map.pdf
I agree with you 100 per cent on the Wembley Rd offramp and there are quite a few other tight corners and hairpins around the place that are deadly.
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #31
Aussie Bhoy

Likes (Received): 7512

This morning

Aussie Bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #32
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2438

ooo it looks like a jacaranda
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #33
TOCC

Likes (Received): 2540

Council buries Milton Road 10-lane project

well this is good news

Quote:
Brisbane City Council has scrapped on-ramps in Toowong for the $1.7 billion Northern Link tunnel, effectively burying plans for a 10-land Milton Road.

The Towong to Bowen Hills Northern Link tunnel will be Brisbane's third underground toll-tunnel, after the Clem 7 and the Airport Link tunnels.

However Lord Mayor Campbell Newman is still waiting on confirmation from the Federal Government on when it will pay the $500 million it has promised Brisbane City Council for the Northern Link tunnel.

Campbell Newman this afternoon said the Federal Government had promised $100 million in 2013-14 and the remaining $400 million in a future five-year Auslink funding program after 2014.

Brisbane City Council wants that money sooner and has written to the Federal Government requesting the earlier finance.
Brisbane City Council has also set aside a $350 million loan from Queensland Treasury Corporation to pay its portion of the cost of the project, though this share of the cost may increase.

Cr Newman said he would not ask the State Government for money for the Northern Link project because the budget was already stretched.

Today's decision to drop the on-ramps at Toowong slashes the number of property resumptions from 116 to 16, takes $1 billion from Northern Links' probable price tag and removes the angst for hundreds of Toowong residents faced with losing their homes.

It drops the number of vehicles potentially using the project from a maximum of 74,000 per day to 49,000 per day, a new costing factor to be determined by private companies interested in bidding.

Nicholas Feros, a Toowong resident and a member of the local lobby group, Toowong Tunnels Solution, said he was delighted at the news ramps had been axed.

"It will mean that the issue has now died down to just the pollution aspects at the western end, but probably 95 per cent of the issues that the locals had, are now gone," Mr Feros said.

Under the original project, traffic from Indooroopilly and Toowong would have been drawn into local streets to use the ramps.
Now they will use the existing road network, which will have 49,000 fewer vehicles.

Brisbane City Council put up two options for the Northern Link project last year - the first an option with entry and exit ramps near Toowong at a cost of $2.65 billion and a second, "straight-through" 4.6 kilometre option which connects the Inner City Bypass to the Western Freeway at Toowong.

Labor Opposition Leader Cr Shayne Sutton questioned the value of the $16.7 million of Brisbane City Council money already spent on the project, when no tender had yet been let.

Campbell Newman said overseas companies remained interested in the Northern Link tunnel and said they had "been in my office behind me here, with Cr Graham Quirk last week."

He remains optimistic the project - Brisbane's third road tunnel - will go to tender "later this year", but refused to provide any further details.

The Northern Link tunnel is primarily directed at Brisbane's western suburbs, cutting the 32-minute trip from Jindalee to the Inner City Bypass to 12 minutes.

Northern Link was originally planned to be built by 2016, but was brought forward by Cr Newman.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/qld-...0420-acfn.html
TOCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #34
jchan123

Likes (Received): 1

turn that into a rail tunnel!
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #35
exocet
baby whinger

Likes (Received): 590

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchan123 View Post
turn that into a rail tunnel!
What, and duplicate the already under-utilised quadruplication between Roma St and Toowong?
exocet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:25 AM   #36
BrizzyChris

Likes (Received): 1160

Thank god they scrapped the on-ramps. I never had a lot of issues with this tunnel aside from the Toowong onramps.
BrizzyChris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 10:21 AM   #37
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2438

the onramps were only included intitally to make the tunnel more profitable rather then just providing a inner suburb bypass/icb connection as originally mooted.
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #38
Map Born

Likes (Received): 141

Centenary Highway extension

Queensland. Springfield to Yamanto.

Here's the current webpage on the Main Roads site:
http://tinyurl.com/mainroadslink

Not much updating on the site, regular, current photos at ground level would be good as seen in Pacific Hwy projects. The aerial shots are helpful in identifying overtaking lanes however.

Interesting to read there are some geotechnical problems on the first section of work from Springfield to Ripley Road. Any further details on this?

I took a drive out to this area last in Nov 08 and was blown away by how much had been completed, as far as the eye could see from each roundabout was sealed.

Overtaking lanes (that I spotted from photos) are: eastbound overtaking lane approaching the Swanbank roundabout (a yet to be built road to the major industrial estate development). Also a westbound overtaking lane between Woogaroo Creek and School Road bridges (White Rock park picnic area). I think this one could do to be a little longer, looks like the typical Qld sprint of a lane.

Due to open June 2009, anyone heard differently?

Has anyone cycled along the work or driven it? I see a few tyre marks from beyond the barriers.

Last edited by Map Born; April 26th, 2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: grammar
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #39
brisbanite

Likes (Received): 435

Couldn't this have be posted in the Brisbane road projects thread? We have too many threads in this Transport section made that could be easily encompassed in a more summative thread.
brisbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #40
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8610

Your wish is my command.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote