search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #41
crazyknightsfan
derp

Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Likes (Received): 2181

feel the wrath of svartmetall!!!
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #42
Map Born

Likes (Received): 141

Yes, what a 'great' place to discuss the Centenary Highway extension when none of the project is within Brisbane City and the project has no benefit for Brisbane City (designed for future development in Ipswich City).
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #43
jchan123

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by exocet View Post
What, and duplicate the already under-utilised quadruplication between Roma St and Toowong?
Replace that bit with underground rail, then we can built on top of it.
Old April 26th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #44
beastjim
Maglev Believer

Likes (Received): 3

Brisbane doesn't mean Brisbane City Clowncil. I consider greater Brisbane to cover just about everywhere between Caboolture, Beenleigh and Ipswich.

davo499 liked this post
beastjim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #45
Marty_

Likes (Received): 275

Bruce HWY to get $2.2 Billion Upgrade
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...42-952,00.html

Anyone have further information on this? It's apparently to be federally funded, but the article is pretty light on detail. Technically it's not in Brisbane, but didn't know where else to post it. Sounds brilliant.
Marty_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #46
crazyknightsfan
derp

Re-announcement of existing projects. Search under "Bruce Highway" on the Main Roads site for a list of what's being done.

lol @ the BCC comment - half the forum tries to tell me that Gold Coast is now part of Brisbane and the other tries to tell me Brisbane stops at the LGA boundary.
Old April 27th, 2009, 04:29 AM   #47
Map Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_ View Post
Bruce HWY to get $2.2 Billion Upgrade
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...42-952,00.html

Anyone have further information on this? It's apparently to be federally funded, but the article is pretty light on detail. Technically it's not in Brisbane, but didn't know where else to post it. Sounds brilliant.
My thoughts on this:

"$300 M for an upgrade of the Kessels/Mains intersection is ridiculous.

This will destroy hundreds of jobs and tens of businesses that will either be resumed or have their access curtailed along Kessels and Mains Roads. Not to forget houses as well - Robertson will then have only one access to the suburb from Mains Rd and right at the furtherest end, very inefficient.

The traffic that can't be removed from that intersection is the citybound traffic, that's where the underpass should be.

Victoria forfeited $450 M for tolling a new road rather than it being free, that money should've been redirected to Qld to remove the Logan Mwy tolls and return Kessels Rd to the suburban road it should be, not a nationally funded through road."
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #48
Marty_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Born View Post
"$300 M for an upgrade of the Kessels/Mains intersection is ridiculous.
Are you even familiar with this intersection? It's not ridiculous AT ALL. It's a mess, that's what it is. It needs to be fixed.
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #49
Map Born

Mains/Kessels intersection

I am extremely familiar with the intersection.

The north/south traffic of Mains Rd are heading to largely residential destinations within the city and have no alternative route.

The east/west traffic of Kessels Rd is through traffic with destinations often far beyond the surrounding suburbs. The Logan Motorway provides the purpose built alternative however it is underutlised due to the toll.

When the Keating Govt in 1992 required State Govts to nominate which roads within city limits were to be national highways, the Kessels Rd corridor was designated as a temporary measure until the Southern Bypass (Gateway extension to Logan Mwy) was constructed.

Successive State Govts have felt it was in the too hard basket to ask for the transfer of the national highway designation.
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #50
cowface

Likes (Received): 13

$300 Million for a intersection upgrade?

Did they pull that out off Danubis's arse?

I guess that's what happens when you live in a country that pays a few million to a few "consultants" to discover the bleeding obvious and write a fancy 100 page report that no one reads past the executive summary, another few million for feasibility study to keep economics graduates employed, more money to "get the community involved" (ie. old dumb **** NIMBYS with too much time letter writing exercise) and then a few more mill for brochures and flyers that most mum and dads will chuck out when they get it. Top that all off by paying $100/hour for a few fat bogans who probably didn't even finish Year 12 to hold up yellow SLOW signs during the construction and that's why it costs us $300million buys us an intersection upgrade, when $300 million in China can get you a few kms of state of the art metro.

**** all of youse.

/not entirely logical and rational and fact-based rant
cowface no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #51
Map Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowface View Post
I guess that's what happens when you live in a country that pays a few million to a few "consultants" to discover the bleeding obvious and write a fancy 100 page report that no one reads past the executive summary, another few million for feasibility study to keep economics graduates employed, more money to "get the community involved" (ie. old NIMBYS with too much time letter writing exercise) and then a few more mill for brochures and flyers that most mum and dads will chuck out when they get it.
Funny that, it's all been done on the Brisbane Urban Corridor by Jan Taylor & Associates in 02/03 as have similar consultations by other companies been done on roads all over.
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #52
trentthomson
Former Member

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Are you even familiar with this intersection? It's not ridiculous AT ALL. It's a mess, that's what it is. It needs to be fixed.
I'm a local and very familiar with this road and I'm against the upgrade. The tailbacks are not bad at all on Kessels Rd, just that stopping on a gradient is a pain in the rear for trucks that should be using the M2 anyway.

The tailbacks on the Mains Rd side are ridiculous however, but even still I say make the motorists suffer. A fair chunk of the traffic is commuter traffic bound for destinations south of Compton Road, and they can use buses or the M2 as well.

That leaves citybound commuters who live along the Mains Road corridor. For these guys they should build a new busway connection that bypasses the intersection, goes through Nathan campus and then to the existing Griffith University busway station. That could easily be achieved for $300 m and would provide far more benefits to the community.

I would also move a complete rebuild of the M1/M2/M3 interchange up the list to help shift traffic off Logan Rd and Mains Rd, but in return I would want to see 24 hour bus lanes instated on Mains Rd, Pinelands Rd and Calam Rd with bus priority. Plus a new busway link from Upper Mt Gravatt busway station to Warrigal Rd, with 24 hour bus lanes down Warrigal Rd to a decent interchange at Fruitgrove station.

Ultimately I would like to see a complete reconfiguration of the heavy rail system, with a new line down the Mains Rd corridor and buses focusing on east-west movements between the Gold Coast, Mains Rd, Springfield and Ipswich heavy rail lines.

Coloured lines are railways, black lines are possible high frequency bus routes:
trentthomson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #53
SM247
Citadis Rider

Trent - I like the concept. Why o why can't the good people at TL start thinking like you! Some comments:

I don't think it is necessary to plonk the railway at Rochedale right into the development site, as you will have a good balance between park'n'ride and bus movements at the existing Eight Mile Plains station. As long as the rail station is on the south-western corner (ie same side as Rochedale), putting it near the Gateway would also work and be a bit cheaper with a straight in approach to Springwood, which enables you to do more of the other sooper-dooper stuff.

If you are going the whole hog, I would just send the Mains Road line down the Calamvale side after Calam Road and have it continue to the south east over to the Beenleigh line again somewhere, ultimately maybe ending up at the Hyperdome via the Marsden area and Loganlea. Improves speed and you could probably build most of this stretch above ground and save.

I know your opinions on the Greenbank alignment, but I still think there is potential in it. Using it as well, way you could have 2 lines for better coverage of the area with the heaviest outer-suburban PT usage in SEQ. It could also incorporate some decent urban renewal long term if/when the Acacia Ridge railheads get replaced with more useful (ie larger) and better located yards further south, with links to Ebenezer and Yatala. You would combine this with a direct freight connection to the port following the Gateway Extension (M2 now I think?) M1 and Port Motorway instead of the torturous NIMBY infested route along the Cleveland line.

Acacia Ridge could then become a big TOD with some additional uni space (maybe a new Griffith campus) to deflect loadings away from the main campuses, which will also stop them from imploding eventually.

I also think there is really limited use in re-aligning the Beenleigh line between Banoon and Runcorn, especially if you can send Gold Coast expresses via an alternative straighter route. I also see no compelling reason to continue Gold Coast trains up the existing route past Springwood when you could build the whole M1 alignment to better tolerances to accommodate 130kph running (although that is personal prejudice I supposed )

Feeder bus concept is a winner, except BCC will never agree to it. Hopefully you have in your grab bag of ideas the 'compulsorily acquire BCC bus fleet and parcel out to 4 private operators under the immediate planning and direction of TransLink like every one else, with BCC involvement limited to cleaning bus stops' concept too.
SM247 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #54
Danubis
i've changed my mind

Likes (Received): 2438

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowface View Post
$300 Million for a intersection upgrade?

Did they pull that out off Danubis's arse?

I guess that's what happens when you live in a country that pays a few million to a few "consultants" to discover the bleeding obvious and write a fancy 100 page report that no one reads past the executive summary, another few million for feasibility study to keep economics graduates employed, more money to "get the community involved" (ie. old dumb **** NIMBYS with too much time letter writing exercise) and then a few more mill for brochures and flyers that most mum and dads will chuck out when they get it. Top that all off by paying $100/hour for a few fat bogans who probably didn't even finish Year 12 to hold up yellow SLOW signs during the construction and that's why it costs us $300million buys us an intersection upgrade, when $300 million in China can get you a few kms of state of the art metro.

**** all of youse.

/not entirely logical and rational and fact-based rant
oh stop it, arn't you going to uni so you can learn to write similar reports yourself?!
Danubis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #55
crazyknightsfan
derp

i would love to have cowface writing reports for me at a consultancy

hilarity would definitely ensue
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #56
Marty_

Trucks on Kessels Rd are monitored via truck monitoring cameras. The ones there are local traffic or doing local deliveries/jobs. They're not short-cutting the M2. This problem was dealt with when the cameras were installed. The decline in truck volumes has been very significant since then.

Having said that, your ideas are brilliant, as usual Trent. I rarely disagree with anything you suggest.
Old April 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #57
trentthomson
Former Member

Quote:
Trucks on Kessels Rd are monitored via truck monitoring cameras. The ones there are local traffic or doing local deliveries/jobs. They're not short-cutting the M2. This problem was dealt with when the cameras were installed. The decline in truck volumes has been very significant since then.
Now they all use Compton Rd, which has produced massive ruts in the pavement as the road wasn't designed for shitloads of b-doubles at all times of the day. There are also a few companies who use Compton Rd then zip up Mains Rd to Kessels, although this is a pretty rare occurrence.
trentthomson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #58
Fyver

Likes (Received): 507

I'm very much for the Kessells road upgrade, although its going to be painfull when its under construction, maybe they'll let the trucks back on and get them off my back doorstep....

Someone please design a muffler to kill off the compression brake rumble...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not those of my employer, its subsidiaries, clients and partners, not necessarily mine, probably not necessary, and don't intentionally mean to kill the fun.
Fyver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #59
Marty_

Since when was it getting an upgrade? Or are you just referring to the Mains/Kessells intersection?
Old April 27th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #60
Map Born

Quote:
Locals I've spoken to have, unprompted, made comment that they're yet to be convinced by that.