search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #41
crawf
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 5,541
Likes (Received): 543

Quote:
First steps for $455m Southern Expressway project
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225882005444

THE State Government tomorrow will kickstart the $455 million Southern Expressway duplication and call for tenders for a detailed planning study.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said the study marks stage one of the expressway's duplication and would formalise the alignment of the upgraded road.

Many of the existing nine road bridges and five footbridges would have to be rebuilt or significantly altered during the duplication.

Mr Conlon said the successful tender applicant would have to address a series of environmental issues, including noise, flora and fauna, air and water quality and Aboriginal heritage.

Interchanges will be built at the southern and northern ends of the project, with additional ramps added to some existing interchanges.

The planning study contract will be awarded in August. Construction is scheduled to begin late next year and expected to be completed in 2014.
...
crawf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:55 PM   #42
Map Born
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes (Received): 141

Blanchetown bridge

Was looking about Google Maps and noticed at Blanchetown across the Murray River, there are two modern looking bridges, one clearly newer and the other out of commission.

Could the locals/those in the know provide why the older bridge is intact but not in use?

Would make a good dual carriageway crossing on the face of it.
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #43
crazyknightsfan
derp
 
crazyknightsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Posts: 10,374
Likes (Received): 2181

Old bridge was built in 1964 to replace ferry crossing.

new bridge was built in the 1990s as the old bridge was found to have structural defects and could not be upgraded to carry higher mass limits.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelby View Post
Oh didn't you see? Shuz posted another fascinating episode of "strangers that have emptied themselves inside me" in another thread.
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #44
Map Born
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
Old bridge was built in 1964 to replace ferry crossing.

new bridge was built in the 1990s as the old bridge was found to have structural defects and could not be upgraded to carry higher mass limits.
Wow, thanks for that info. What a turn of events.

A national highway bridge lasts less than 30 years due to structural defects and couldn't carry modern transport demands, that is appalling.

I wonder if the original contractor ever faced any legal action to remedy/compensate or was it too late?

From street view and the air, it looks a good bridge, I have been over most likely the new one about 4-8 times since 1992 and never knew of this story.

Speaking of my suggestion as a brief section of dual carriageway the bridges would have provided, there is a small section of dual carriageway across a river (Edith to be exact) on the Sturt Hwy in the NT at the Jatbula Rd to Edith Falls intersection. Funny to spend so much money out there.
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #45
crazyknightsfan
derp
 
crazyknightsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A pretty place where the flowers grow, I'll be back in an hour or so
Posts: 10,374
Likes (Received): 2181

^ I don't have much more knowledge on exactly why it failed, sorry Map Born. But it isn't that uncommon for bridges built in the 1960s or earlier to need replacement to carry higher mass limits. Even bridges on the ACT's arterial roads had to be strengthened to carry B-doubles.

The Edith River situation - the old bridge is below the 1 in X flood level so a duplicate, higher bridge was built that has improved flood immunity. Nothing wrong with the old bridge so they left it open as one carriageway but during flood periods two-way traffic has to use the new bridge.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelby View Post
Oh didn't you see? Shuz posted another fascinating episode of "strangers that have emptied themselves inside me" in another thread.
crazyknightsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #46
Map Born
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyknightsfan View Post
^ I don't have much more knowledge on exactly why it failed, sorry Map Born. But it isn't that uncommon for bridges built in the 1960s or earlier to need replacement to carry higher mass limits. Even bridges on the ACT's arterial roads had to be strengthened to carry B-doubles.

The Edith River situation - the old bridge is below the 1 in X flood level so a duplicate, higher bridge was built that has improved flood immunity. Nothing wrong with the old bridge so they left it open as one carriageway but during flood periods two-way traffic has to use the new bridge.
That's alright crazyknightsfan, I appreciate your knowledge on the outline of the Blanchetown bridge.

You're right about 1960's bridges needing replacement for higher mass limits, the one in question looks such a nice bridge, quite modern/similar along with the replacement bridge, perhaps a few more pylons.

Re. Edith River, I gathered the southbound bridge must've been below the flood height by the railings being quite simple/easy for flood water to pass through/over.

This style is also seen in the lower level crossing of the Victoria River (bypassed last year) and also on the Barkly Hwy. Perhaps early 80's construction or thereabouts when the national highway scheme was rolled out.

The new bridge looks very similar in its railings to that of the NSW bridges, as do many new constructions in the NT.

A personal aside:- as soon as the ABC give the go-ahead to switch on digital radio mondiale on their short wave local radio transmitters in the NT, I will then go for a drive into the NT and test out both the new digital radio and the roads.
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #47
crawf
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 5,541
Likes (Received): 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Born View Post
Wow, thanks for that info. What a turn of events.

A national highway bridge lasts less than 30 years due to structural defects and couldn't carry modern transport demands, that is appalling.

I wonder if the original contractor ever faced any legal action to remedy/compensate or was it too late?

From street view and the air, it looks a good bridge, I have been over most likely the new one about 4-8 times since 1992 and never knew of this story.

Speaking of my suggestion as a brief section of dual carriageway the bridges would have provided, there is a small section of dual carriageway across a river (Edith to be exact) on the Sturt Hwy in the NT at the Jatbula Rd to Edith Falls intersection. Funny to spend so much money out there.
Stuart Highway

Sturt Highway is the road that goes through Blanchetown.
crawf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #48
Map Born
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,294
Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawf View Post
Stuart Highway

Sturt Highway is the road that goes through Blanchetown.
Very true crawf! That's what happens when I've got my mind on assignments even when having a coffee break.
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM   #49
crawf
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 5,541
Likes (Received): 543

Quote:
Battles remembered in Northern Expressway bridge names
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/battle...-1225886693738

FIVE bridges along the Northern Expressway will be named in honour of some of Australia's most famous military battles.

Premier Mike Rann this morning announced bridges along the expressway would be named after battles at Hamel, Tobruk, Kokoda, Kapyong and Long Tan.

"Hamel, Tobruk, Kokoda, Kapyong and Long Tan are sacred places for all Australians, having helped shape the very future of our nation, they remain etched in our history forever," Mr Rann said.

Today's announcement follows the naming of the South Rd-Anzac Highway intersection as the Gallipoli underpass.

Returned and Services League state president Jock Statton praised the move.

"It's a great opportunity to have these bridges named after significant battles," he said.

"As with Anzac Highway, it's not the name of a service person there.

"Here, it acknowledges all the people who have served in those conflicts and it will also acknowledge to the youth of today and the future of what Australia has been involved in."

Each bridge will have interpretive signs to help people to learn more about the battles.

The bridges that will be named are:

* Penfield Rd interchange to be named Hamel.

* Heaslip Rd interchange to be named Tobruk.

* Curtis Rd interchange to be named Kokoda.

* Angle Vale Rd interchange to be named Kapyong.

* Two Wells Rd interchange to be named Long Tan.
...
crawf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #50
crawf
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 5,541
Likes (Received): 543

Quote:
South Rd upgrade back on agenda

UPGRADING South Rd between the Superway and Gallipoli Underpass is back on the State Government’s agenda but funding and a construction timeframe are yet to be approved.

The Government will soon call for tenders to plan a multi-million dollar upgrade of about 9km of South Rd, between the superway in the north and the underpass at Anzac Highway.

The section includes some of the narrowest parts of South Rd and is lined with businesses and homes, presenting one of the biggest challenges in the quest to convert the key route into a 22km free-flowing north-south road transport corridor.

In April last year, the RAA unveiled its vision of a $2 billion, 6km tunnel from the underpass to north of the Outer Harbor rail line at Croydon.

At the time, Transport Minister Patrick Colon said a tunnel would be ‘‘incredibly expensive’’ and a ‘‘big ask’’ but did not rule it out.
The Advertiser
crawf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #51
metro_minotaur
Registered Noob.
 
metro_minotaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 700
Likes (Received): 3

another article from ABC news:

Quote:
A concept plan for an upgrade of South Road in Adelaide's southern suburbs shows the underpass planned beneath Sturt Road and Flinders Drive.

The road would connect to a duplicated Southern Expressway.

The plan will be released next week for public comment.

It is proposed work could start in 2015.

The latest plan goes beyond the South Australian Government's original plan for an underpass at the Sturt-South Road intersection.

It includes a transport interchange near Flinders Medical Centre for the Tonsley rail line.

SA Transport Minister Pat Conlon says it is too early to finalise a cost, but it will be a great investment for the state.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...28/3050883.htm
metro_minotaur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #52
crawf
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 5,541
Likes (Received): 543

Video of the new major underpass, aswell as a tramline to Flinders University



Old plans for the Sturt Road/Main South Road interchange - once considered a major state infrastructure project



Last edited by crawf; October 28th, 2010 at 08:23 AM.
crawf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 04:35 AM   #53
Mandelbrot
Registered User
 
Mandelbrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 628
Likes (Received): 50

Yes Yes Yes Yes yes..... at last!.. this makes real sense. Build the friggin thing and dont cut corners.. On the downside, South Rd past old Mitsubishi Plant to city will be one massive traffic jam in peak hour. You cant have express way traffic just suddenly meet traffic light after traffic light and expect traffic not to slow.. stop.
Mandelbrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:12 AM   #54
VHSLE CRUISER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 519
Likes (Received): 9

Wouldnt be a bad idea building the south road "super freeway" although if they did what they had planned in 1965 MATS geez we would be like Melbourne in there freeways now.

1965 MATS Plans for Adelaide below...

Noarlunga Freeway = 8 lanes
North Adelaide Connector = 6 lanes
Port Freeway = 6 lanes
Salisbury Freeway = 6 lanes
Hills Freeway = 6 lanes
Modbury Freeway = 8 lanes
Hindmarsh Interchange

Including a subway station under king william street in the city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropo...ransport_Study (go to this page and checkout the pics at the end of the page)
The land and construction cost was roughly at $436.5 million which works out to about $4.37 billion in todays money in 2008.

Lost opportunity in my opinion.

Last edited by VHSLE CRUISER; November 2nd, 2010 at 10:32 AM.
VHSLE CRUISER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:41 AM   #55
VHSLE CRUISER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 519
Likes (Received): 9

So the "south road superway" is going from the port river expressway to regency road? would they consider continuing it onto exit onto port road?

What about the eastern suburbs now, portrush road, cross roads, glen osmond road are hectic at the best of times and certainly allowing people to park on the roads doesnt help the situation.
VHSLE CRUISER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2010, 03:02 PM   #56
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy
 
joninbrisbane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,407
Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHSLE CRUISER View Post
Wouldnt be a bad idea building the south road "super freeway" although if they did what they had planned in 1965 MATS geez we would be like Melbourne in there freeways now.

1965 MATS Plans for Adelaide below...

Noarlunga Freeway = 8 lanes
North Adelaide Connector = 6 lanes
Port Freeway = 6 lanes
Salisbury Freeway = 6 lanes
Hills Freeway = 6 lanes
Modbury Freeway = 8 lanes
Hindmarsh Interchange

Including a subway station under king william street in the city.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropo...ransport_Study (go to this page and checkout the pics at the end of the page)
The land and construction cost was roughly at $436.5 million which works out to about $4.37 billion in todays money in 2008.

Lost opportunity in my opinion.
If all those motorways were built, Adelaide would be in a worse situation than it is now. It would be at least double the size for starters.
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:20 AM   #57
VHSLE CRUISER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 519
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninbrisbane View Post
If all those motorways were built, Adelaide would be in a worse situation than it is now. It would be at least double the size for starters.
Why would it be in a worse situation then it is now, everything would be alot more free flowing, less traffic lights, over and underpasses, etc.

How is Brisbane with there freeways/motorways, makes light work in travelling im guessing.
VHSLE CRUISER no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:48 AM   #58
crawf
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 5,541
Likes (Received): 543

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHSLE CRUISER View Post
Why would it be in a worse situation then it is now, everything would be alot more free flowing, less traffic lights, over and underpasses, etc.

How is Brisbane with there freeways/motorways, makes light work in travelling im guessing.
And destroyed one of the nicest inner-areas in the country - eastern suburbs.

Excluding a north-south freeway and railway upgrades, most of the MATS plan would of been overkill that would of probably done more harm then good. Though a north-east freeway/railway line to Golden Grove, instead of the current O'Bahn Busway would of been pretty cool.

While the MATS plan is long dead, it should be pointed out that part of the Noarlunga Freeway proposal is the Southern Expressway, Dry Creek Expressway = Port River Expressway and Salisbury Freeway = Northern Expressway/Connector (proposed). Then ofcourse you've got the South Road project

Last edited by crawf; November 3rd, 2010 at 01:53 AM.
crawf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:53 AM   #59
eastadl
Registered User
 
eastadl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 2,590
Likes (Received): 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHSLE CRUISER View Post
Why would it be in a worse situation then it is now, everything would be alot more free flowing, less traffic lights, over and underpasses, etc.
Just take a visit to Pheonix, Dallas or Houston and you will see why
__________________
Adelaide Photos
eastadl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:44 AM   #60
Shuz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 523
Likes (Received): 32

Salisbury Freeway is NOT the Northern Expressway/Connector, crawf.
Shuz no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu