SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Far Gosford Street | Development | U/C

Tags
coventry
164K views 1K replies 43 participants last post by  Fernando Partridge 
#1 · (Edited)
Here you go, Stig!

This thread was created for stig1982 who promises to put some stuff here soon...

#913 ·
This is looking better the more its completed, which sometimes doesn't happen with these developments. I repairs the damage of the Sky Blue way at the bottom of the street.

Still think the quality of tenants down the street for what they are trying to create is poor, fast food and dodgy looking to me. I hate to sound snooty but many of the units don't appeal to me what so ever.

Maybe as the area as a whole improves the tenants will improve.

#915 ·
This will all take time, but it will happen, and it already has to a point. The tenant mix is a lot different to what it was 10 years ago.

Still some way to go, but no new fast food outlets are allowed on this street. Not only that, I think there are only 6 fast food outlets out of what, 80-90 units? Not exactly saturated. I think it is perception more than anything.

Footfall is increasing all the time, and the type of tenants we would like to see will naturally follow.

#917 ·
Yes I totally agree with that. Spon street, although I believe the worse street because of the gaps, has better tenants.

This will all take time, but it will happen, and it already has to a point. The tenant mix is a lot different to what it was 10 years ago.

Still some way to go, but no new fast food outlets are allowed on this street. Not only that, I think there are only 6 fast food outlets out of what, 80-90 units? Not exactly saturated. I think it is perception more than anything.

Footfall is increasing all the time, and the type of tenants we would like to see will naturally follow.
Your probably right about perception. Didn't realise they had banned new fast food joints here as well. Although a pretty heavy handed move I think its the correct decision. I agree that footfall is increasing, hard to walk down their at the moment with one side blocked due to the student flats being built.

This is my favorite development of all at the moment, as it isn't trying to reinvent the wheel.

#919 ·
The houses you talk about on Lower Ford Street really are a hidden treasure and have a real quality to them. In isolation, they have an almost Camden or Brighton feel. It's an area that has suffered in the shadow of the ring road, Vine St. and the 60's tower blocks of Hillfields.

#935 ·
Yes, great stuff. It sounds like they didn't even expect there to be medieval timbers in the building.

Far Gosford Street is turning into what Spon Street should have been. Rather than being an isolated old street surrounded by crap, it's being surrounded by buildings that are decent and also link the old street to the newer surroundings brilliantly. Something like on the location of IKEA and Skydome that linked up with the little alleyways properly could have been superb, IMHO.

A missed opportunity? Now we have Spon Street, and a horrible mess of roads with Skydome and IKEA in awkward positions.

#938 ·
Was at Fargo at the weekend and there was an information stand for the Charterhouse Association. The plans to restore it are part of a larger plan to form a large urban, circular walk that takes in Far Gosford St, the Sherbourne river down to the Charterhouse and the disused railway line that runs parallel to Gulson Rd. On the plans the National Tyre garage, the Johnstones paint centre behind it and the university car part behind that are going to be build on by the university. The old industrial estate on Harper Rd will be the site of the eco offices. Having looked at the estate, half of the properties are no longer used. The old railway line was apparently sold by Network Rail to a guy in London for thirty grand and he now wants a million for it. CPO should sort it out. Overall an impressively ambitious plans.

#944 ·
The amount of times I pass both of those buildings I had never realised how similar they are!!

Some great buildings on Spon End, with some regeneration and development around them, the area could become quite nice.

The council estate is unfortunately a rough place. Makes you realise there is a section of the public that have been totally left behind by neoliberal economics.

And I'm not even a lefty!!

#946 ·
As if neo-consevative politics could do any better?.... pointless statement to make and totally off topic...

#952 ·
I was in that neck of the woods (Again) today:

Car park by Bodgecity, on Flickr

Two days on the trot I've been to Fargo. Today I noticed a few units are empty (Mainly those shipping containers) and a few are closing. The Bubble Tea place is great though! All the traders here are very friendly and it's the sort of place you want to go back to. I bumped into someone I know and they were impressed as well.

The walk from the city centre wasn't too long, just empty.

#956 ·
I made a tentative enquiry about one of the units in the main market place bit, but was told there is a waiting list. It's the sort of place where you'll get quite a high turnover of businesses. You seem to get a lot of browsing and not a lot of buying in some of them, but some of them do quite high ticket items so can get by that way.

That Sgt Bilko place seems to do well. I was there today and had to wait an hour while my daughter went through every bloody comic book in the place. It costs me a fortune in there!

On a side note, town was buzzing today. Not into cars in a big way, but enjoyed the event. So many people in from out of town too - the area from the Litten Tree up to Friargate was packed. All looked splendid in the sunshine! Tried the new coffee shop too, really impressed, really classy fit out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.