SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Far Gosford Street | Development | U/C

Tags
coventry
164K views 1K replies 43 participants last post by  Fernando Partridge 
#1 · (Edited)
Here you go, Stig!

This thread was created for stig1982 who promises to put some stuff here soon...

#961 ·
I drove down skyblue way at weekend. The round end building finish can now be seen properly. Looks great. This small run from the new yellow building, refurbished buildings and the new student halls looks fabulous. One of best steetscapes in cov. Surely this could be a blueprint fro wider development?

#963 ·
The new builds here are completed but empty, same goes for the restored timber framed buildings on that side of the road. Is there a reason for this? The only think I can think of is that they are waiting for the new build halls to be finished. There also seems to be a delay in restoring the last couple of timber framed buildings.
FGSNB by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

#964 ·
Was wondering the same. Could the be possibly waiting for the final buildings to be completed until they let them out??

Wasn't there a plan for one of those to be turned into a old style topshop??

This has gone quite, I hope the fact they are not let out is the reason the final phase not going ahead as yet.

Really want this one to finish as its an excellent development. Hope the Burges development achieves a similar result to this.

#970 · (Edited)
I think it suffers a little from the same problem that afflicts most of Coventry - isolated with poor links. Dual carriageways and horrendous road junctions don't really make these places feel as if they're part of anything else. I'd hope to see better links across to Ford Street, plus Ford Street linked up properly with the other new development by on Fairfax Street and also a far better route from FGS up to the city centre. No more gaps, more residences over retail/restaurant units in all the gaps.

I went to Fargo on Saturday afternoon and it was a little dead and some stores had already closed (Much to my son's disappointment.) but it was quite late. The car park on Paynes Lane is horrible and requires crossing a dual carriageway and there were people throwing eggs out of cars at pedestrians. It's frustrating that there are no cashpoints nearby as well, as some of the traders don't take cards.

I'm always reminded of a Bill Bryson book where he described going to some town and observed that whenever he walked down a street he seemed to end up at some horrendous road junction!

#975 ·
The two next to that are now letting the side down, Reading the article on the main thread about FGS, they wont be waiting to long for tenants. Sounds like a real success story.

I still don't like the place, something very threating about it as you walk down the street. At least it looks nicer.

#976 ·
I know what you mean about FGS being threatening. I know people who refuse to walk down it.

It's different now. I like it there. The new buildings (Offices all let, apparently) have made a huge difference. Narrow, built up street of old buildings and unusual retailers/restaurants? It reminds me of growing up near Manchester when Manchester was full of places like this.

I may wander up there tomorrow as I have a few hours to kill. There's still a decent coffee shop there, a bookshop and a record shop. What more could you want? :) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.