daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > United Arab Emirates - دار زايـــد > Completed Projects and Thread Archive > Completed Projects



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 14th, 2016, 02:56 AM   #17421
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind
 
Dubai_Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,580
Likes (Received): 127

Scotty my point was that you don't know if they will replace the cladding with the exact same stuff or not and don't know what is being discussed as the solution so please do not make false statements about what is being done unless you know the FACTs.
Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old January 14th, 2016, 07:06 AM   #17422
mackie1964
Registered User
 
mackie1964's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,268
Likes (Received): 32

You both make some good points

IMHO, the whole cladding should be replaced by the developer for obvious reasons especially when you know where the cladding came from and the quality that has now proven to be. Replacing just part of it and while a practical short term solution, leaves the rest of the building at risk and devalues our investment.

Will Dubai take a stand and force the Developer to do the right thing? I doubt it based on the way the investigation and report were handelled and how these things get dealt with in general in the Middle East.

I still live in hope that the embrassment of the New Years Celebration will make a difference but it may be too late fir the Torch I feel.
mackie1964 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 01:34 AM   #17423
True Blue
Dubai Aye!
 
True Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,579
Likes (Received): 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Steve View Post
........... please do not make false statements about what is being done unless you know the FACTs.
Here we go again, Stevie big potatoes trying to suggest he is on the inside and is the only one who knows the facts.

Do you have any proof that what I said is false? No, didn't think so
__________________
Always focus on where you are going and not where you have come from.

There are none so blind as those who won't see.
True Blue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 02:19 AM   #17424
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind
 
Dubai_Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,580
Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Do you have any proof that what I said is false? No, didn't think so
Scotty boy, you have no idea if they will replace the cladding with the exact same stuff or not so what you said was not fact! Kingfield announced that they are working with DCD to find the recommended safe solution for the Torch.
Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #17425
True Blue
Dubai Aye!
 
True Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,579
Likes (Received): 477

Your argument seems to be based on semantics. I questioned the logic of replacing the burnt cladding with the same flammable cladding. Especially given the fact that cladding fires are becoming more common now. I never said it was a FACT that it would be replaced with the same material but I can genuinely state that I bet they have already tried to go down that route.

You are suggesting that it is not a fact, therefore you seem to be suggesting that something different will be used. Can you back that statement up? NO!

It is likely now, following the events of NYE, that the authorities will block Kingfield from re using this dangerous material. I would suspect that they will invoke the new rules on The Torch given the problem here is current.

If I am right and the authorities are blocking the use of the same flammable cladding, then Kingfield (and you Stevie Boy) have completely mislead everyone by stating the repair works are about to commence imminently, and using phrases suggesting the work will be done by the end of 2015.

Coming up for 1 year now and the current progress is what? Did they prepare a Bill of Quantities for the repair only or the entire building? What about the lazy river?

Enlighten us all Stevie Boy, seeing as you're in the know.
__________________
Always focus on where you are going and not where you have come from.

There are none so blind as those who won't see.

Last edited by True Blue; January 16th, 2016 at 10:07 PM.
True Blue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 10:17 PM   #17426
True Blue
Dubai Aye!
 
True Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,579
Likes (Received): 477

It's only been a few weeks since the NYE fire and already the management of The Address are streets ahead of the management of The Torch;



I have been saying this should have happened at The Torch since the beginning to make it safe for the public and residents could use the pool. But hey, what do I know?
__________________
Always focus on where you are going and not where you have come from.

There are none so blind as those who won't see.
True Blue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #17427
True Blue
Dubai Aye!
 
True Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,579
Likes (Received): 477

Question raised back in April 2015 and still nothing has happened to contain the damaged sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Is the pool still open below all the fire damaged cladding?

I'm quite surprised that they seem still to have not covered the damaged portions with debris netting to catch any loose metalwork and fire debris that may detach itself.
Maybe the building management are happy for it to remain as an eyesore in the Marina and are not really interested in reopening the pool anytime soon. Rentals have crashed 25% as a result, but the owners still praise Kingfield blindly.

As I say, there are none so blind as those who won't see.
__________________
Always focus on where you are going and not where you have come from.

There are none so blind as those who won't see.
True Blue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:50 AM   #17428
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind
 
Dubai_Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,580
Likes (Received): 127

Kingfield currently estimate the works will be complete and the pool will be reopen in 6 months.

currently the covered area of the pool is being used for the site offices of the construction team.
Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 08:37 AM   #17429
Jet7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 139
Likes (Received): 28

Almost a year now since the fire has happened and 00.00% progress… just don’t come and ask me to pay for the service fees.
Jet7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #17430
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind
 
Dubai_Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,580
Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
“If the entire cladding cannot be replaced, then every 10 metres provide a fire-retardant exterior facade system. If there is a fire on the ground floor the first barrier will stop it,” said Sajid Raza, an adviser and vice-president of Butler Engineering consultancy.
Quote:
In the Torch Tower [blaze last March], quite recently before the fire they had put in a protection system so we were able to use lift to get forces up to the area of the fire,” Mr Bright said.
http://m.thenational.ae/uae/dubai-hotels-sprinklers-ran-out-of-water-15-minutes-into-fire
Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #17431
arfie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 791
Likes (Received): 50

Dubai_Steve I agree with TB here its been 12 months and no progress what so ever on the Torch in terms of fire repairs. This leaves a very bad impression with potential investors and also new tenants. They should get their act together and get this done ASAP rather than giving us excuses!
arfie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2016, 10:41 AM   #17432
WelchLS
Registered User
 
WelchLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16
Likes (Received): 3

absolutely. Very bad showcase for the marina, the developer, and Dubai. Meanwhile all tenants & owners continue to lose their facilities (and/or rental income).
WelchLS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2016, 06:18 AM   #17433
ForgottenUsername
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 31
Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Steve View Post
I disagree, should all be done this year for the Torch.

The processes with the insurance company have been finalised.

The debris removal process of affected apartments is being completed now and consultant engineers are ascertaining the damage so that plans for the renovation of apartments can begin ASAP.

JLT had problems with insurance not paying as I understand.
Well? Done?
Not. Even. Started.

Last edited by ForgottenUsername; January 21st, 2016 at 07:45 AM.
ForgottenUsername no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 01:43 AM   #17434
Dubai_Steve
Dubai State of Mind
 
Dubai_Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,580
Likes (Received): 127

Insurers have also reacted differently to each fire. It took a long time after the Tamweel Tower fire at Jumeirah Lakes Towers (which occurred in November 2012) before remedial work began last summer, and the building remains unoccupied.

The insurer of the Torch *Tower, Oman Insurance, has sought to move as quickly as possible to repair the parts of a building that were destroyed by fire last February.

Balaji Ganapathy, a senior vice-president of general insurance claims at Oman Insurance, said that two quarterly interim payments have already been made to the Owners’ Association and it has issued a no objection certificate to allow for the appointed project consultant to proceed with its rehabilitation.

“We have been seeking an early commencement of repairs for a matter of months,” said Mr Ganapathy.

“Presently, we understand that the repairs are merely pending formal contracts so that the work can begin.”

http://m.thenational.ae/business/per...ing-their-home
Dubai_Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:08 PM   #17435
Jet7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 139
Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai_Steve View Post
Kingfield currently estimate the works will be complete and the pool will be reopen in 6 months.

currently the covered area of the pool is being used for the site offices of the construction team.
January is gone now, only 5 months left. Any progress?
Jet7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:27 PM   #17436
Number5
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 38
Likes (Received): 55

del
Number5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
dubai, dubai marina

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu