daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2014, 06:43 AM   #201
JediAlf
May the Force Be With You

Likes (Received): 6

Actually LTA has the feedback from Jurong West residents and grassroots leaders. I was involved in the meeting with LTA planners along with Jurong GRC grassroot representatives and few MPs few years ago.

The feedback was that many want MRT line instead.
JediAlf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 20th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #202
pioneerboy

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediAlf View Post
Actually LTA has the feedback from Jurong West residents and grassroots leaders. I was involved in the meeting with LTA planners along with Jurong GRC grassroot representatives and few MPs few years ago.

The feedback was that many want MRT line instead.
Sorry, but I wish to clarify that not all of Jurong West is in Jurong GRC. The part of Jurong West where Jurong Region Line runs in belongs to Chua Chu Kang GRC, Hong Kah North SMC and West Coast GRC.

In Jurong GRC, the part where Jurong Region Line would run in is at Jurong East.

well, be it MRT or LRT, it all depends on how's the projected demand like.
pioneerboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #203
pioneerboy

Based on the alignment at Jurong West - where there are limited space and sharp turns - I guess Jurong Region Line might be a MRT with LRT trains. A MRT car can contain around three times the number of people (~320) a LRT car can contain (~105). If Jurong Region Line is a medium capacity MRT line (three MRT train cars), it would require around nine LRT train cars coupled per set.

One LRT train car is around 11.84m. Since nine LRT cars are required, each set should be around 106.56m (11.84*9) long. Hence, the length of a JRL platform should be around 75% that of a EWL/NSL/NEL platform (since a 6-train MRT set is around 141.9m long).

During NTU vacation, we can simply couple less LRT train cars per set, on trains that ply the branch into NTU. Or have shuttle service between NTU and Gek Poh, while the Gek Poh-JIE section runs on regular service.
Old August 20th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #204
y2koh

Likes (Received): 117

As mentioned previously, it just takes 4 cars (420 capacity) running at 2min frequency to meet 12,600pphd, 10,000pphd being the min. standard for an MRT line. You do not need 9 cars, that's an overkill.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=200

mcarling, AsHalt liked this post
y2koh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 06:50 AM   #205
pioneerboy

Regarding the names of the stations, can I suggest that we recognize heritage and give the stations names that were used in the past to name places?

Recently, OneMap.sg released a series of historical maps of Singapore. As I looked through the maps, I realised that in the past (prior to around year 1993), there was 'Gek Poh Road', 'Joon Tong Road', 'Lorong Tawas Road' and a 'Huat Choa Village' at the intersection of 'Nanyang Avenue' (near present-day Pioneer Road North) and 'Upper Jurong Road' (present-day Jurong West Avenue 4)
(^1972)
(^1981)
(^1984)
(^1988)
(^1991)
Meanwhile at the industrial area, the names today are relatively the same as in the past.
Here's a map of the area in year 1972.

According to the map in year 1972,
At (present-day) Bulim, there was 'Jalan Sabit', 'Jalan Berseri', 'Jalan Quee Chew' and 'Hong Kah Drive/Lane/Road'.

At (present-day) Tengah, there was 'Hong Kah Drive', Hong Kah Lane', 'Hong Kah Circle', 'Sing Nan Road'

At Choa Chu Kang, there were 'Lam Sam Village', 'Kampong Cutforth'

At Jurong East, the names are relatively the same:

AsHalt liked this post
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #206
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 30

Mind taking the older map and composite with the modern map?
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #207
BeNdYBuSLuver

Jalan Bahru Utara and Selatan is the now Jurong Town Hall Rd i suppose?
BeNdYBuSLuver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #208
AsHalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNdYBuSLuver View Post
Jalan Bahru Utara and Selatan is the now Jurong Town Hall Rd i suppose?
well according to Gmap it is
(just attaching the map here for ref.)
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...w.kJ7zDxiPmbWk
Old September 5th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #209
y2koh

Likes (Received): 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsHalt View Post
Mind taking the older map and composite with the modern map?
Here you go...

AsHalt, ScuderiaVincero liked this post
y2koh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #210
BeNdYBuSLuver

Maybe for Jurong Region Line it's possible to use 2-3 car trains and probably boost up the frequency, especially when it serves the NTU area. Maybe 2 mins frequency during the school period?

Off Topic : About 90% of CCK Estate were once a forested area. And there use to be a Sungei Kadut Rd (part of it is the now CCK Crescent)
BeNdYBuSLuver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #211
AsHalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNdYBuSLuver View Post
Maybe for Jurong Region Line it's possible to use 2-3 car trains and probably boost up the frequency, especially when it serves the NTU area. Maybe 2 mins frequency during the school period?

Off Topic : About 90% of CCK Estate were once a forested area. And there use to be a Sungei Kadut Rd (part of it is the now CCK Crescent)
And also to add on the off topic ,the canal near the sungai kadut road is "flat ground" last time (before 2005,IIRC)
Old September 6th, 2014, 04:27 AM   #212
pioneerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seloloving View Post

The map PM Lee showed to the audiences. Perhaps one day another station between Clementi and Jurong East? (Nahhhh~ )
Based on the alignment shown during National Day Rally, it seems that the line will ply Jurong West Avenue 5 rather than Jurong West Street 75/82.

I am curious.

Why can't the line ply Jurong West Street 75/82 into Clean Tech Park?

Jurong West Street 75/82 is a HDB corridor, whereas Jurong West Avenue 5 is a 50%HDB-50%privatehousing corridor.

Since people staying in private housing use private transport more than public transport, wouldn't it be sufficient to simply create a new bus service that serves the private housing area (Westwood Road/Avenue/Crescent/Drive/Walk)?

The Jurong Region Line should be primarily for HDB residents.
Old September 6th, 2014, 04:39 AM   #213
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 374

I would not really take that image seriously. It is not to scale and it seems to be a rough estimation.

Btw, if you can't see the images I posted, I have deleted them.

AsHalt liked this post
Mith252 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 05:17 AM   #214
CHT

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerboy View Post
Not necessary because in Jurong most private property are LH99, which make no different if its HDB or Private. Ultimately, any rise in land value as a result of MRT will government will still gain.
CHT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #215
leonardot

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerboy View Post

Based on the alignment shown during National Day Rally, it seems that the line will ply Jurong West Avenue 5 rather than Jurong West Street 75/82.

I am curious.

Why can't the line ply Jurong West Street 75/82 into Clean Tech Park?

Jurong West Street 75/82 is a HDB corridor, whereas Jurong West Avenue 5 is a 50%HDB-50%privatehousing corridor.

Since people staying in private housing use private transport more than public transport, wouldn't it be sufficient to simply create a new bus service that serves the private housing area (Westwood Road/Avenue/Crescent/Drive/Walk)?

Not drawn to scale and certainly not the finalised alignment. Artist impression.
Old September 6th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #216
eX.A.K.R.

Likes (Received): 18

I'm wondering if the Jurong Region Line can be implemented using people mover-style rubber tyre trains like the Mitsubishi Crystal Mover. I have seen articulated multi-car and/or underground implementations of the Crystal Mover overseas, and I'm wondering if a six-car Crystal Mover system (with two cars approximating the length of one normal MRT train car) would work.

Of course, I would still prefer a traditional steel wheels and rails system that can be made compatible with either the Circle or Downtown Lines, in case there's ever the need to connect the Jurong Regional Line system to either of those lines in the future. Already I'm wondering if they could extend the system for it to interchange at and connect directly to the Circle Line at Haw Par Villa, or to the Downtown Line at Bukit Panjang and sharing Gali Batu Depot with that line there.

AsHalt liked this post
eX.A.K.R. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #217
ddes

Likes (Received): 248

I guess it's all about the desired capacity, and the infrastructure constraints, and finding the best solution at the most cost effective prices, be it steel rail, monorail or rubber tired systems.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote