SkyscraperCity Forum banner
341 - 360 of 7,890 Posts
Partick student housing nears completion

Urban Realm 23rd August 2012​

A development of 201 student beds on the banks of the river Kelvin, Partick, is nearing external completion.

Designed by Manson Architects and built by Watkin Jones the seven storey brick clad structure replaces a former low-rise business unit.

It is the latest in a glut of purpose built student housing to be built around the periphery of the west end and has risen in tandem with a much larger Fletcher Joseph designed complex at nearby Yorkhill.

Another huge scheme was recently built on Thurso Street, directly across the water, as students are encouraged out of private lets and into purpose-built accommodation

Cheap and nasty like the new student flats opposite. These blocks would be passable in a backstreet site but in a prominent riverside location they're just depressing.

Discussion starter · #342 ·
ET

Tuesday 28 August 2012

Planning boss backs bid for flats in West End lane

A developer wants to construct four townhouses and 45 flats on a site bounded by Otago Street, Otago Lane and the River Kelvin.
Planning bosses have recommended the scheme gets the go-ahead and tomorrow councillors are due to consider the application.
But the plan, by Otago Street Developments, has enraged local residents and a petition in protest has been signed by 3535 people.
There are also more than 600 individual objections

Discussion starter · #343 ·
Design Guide for New Residential Areas

Aim(s):

The Council's Development and Regeneration Services and Land and Environmental Services are carrying out a consultation on the draft Design Guide for New Residential Areas.
This is a corporate interpretation of the Scottish Government's policy document Designing Streets.

The aim of the Council document is to provide developers with advice on how to obtain both planning permission and road construction consent in the most efficient manner.

Consultation start date 15 August 2012

Consultation end date 11 September 2012

Feedback dateDue 01 October 2012

Method(s) of Consultation On-line Questionnaire

Target Group(s) Stakeholders, General public, Elected Members

Discussion starter · #344 ·
12/01066/DC | Erection of mixed use development comprising 45 residential flats and 2 retail units (317 square metres and 124 square metres), including vehicle access, 8 off-street car parking spaces, alterations to existing road layout and landscaping. - amendment to condition 01 of consent 11/00889/DC to increase number of residential flats from 45 to 49 | Site Formerly Known As 341 Great Western Road Glasgow

Would you make a canal a home?

BBC News 13th September 2012

Scots are being encouraged to consider making a home on the water.

Scottish Canals, which oversees the inland waterways, has created another 32 moorings on the Union, Caledonian and Forth and Clyde canals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-19589005

~o0o~

Houseboat community bid floated in Scotland

BBC News 13th September 2012​

The organisation that runs Scotland's canals hopes to encourage people to live in narrowboats.

Scottish Canal said its Living on Water campaign had been inspired by "successful and vibrant" houseboat communities in other parts of Europe.

They included communities in Ireland, Holland, Scandinavia and London.

Pilot projects offering residential moorings have been launched on the Union Canal, at Edinburgh's Leamington Wharf, and Seaport Marina in Inverness.

Eight moorings have been created on the Union Canal and 16 at the Inverness marina at Muirtown Basin on the Caledonian Canal.

The 24 moorings will be released individually by auction later this year. The date of the first online auction will be announced next month.

Until now, only 25 official residential moorings have been available on Scotland's canals.

There are five at Ratho on the Union Canal and the rest at Auchinstarry, Bowling and Applecross Street on the Forth and Clyde Canal.

Scottish Canals hopes to follow up the pilots in Edinburgh and Inverness with a third project at Speirs Wharf in Glasgow.

Katie Hughes, estates director at the organisation, said: "Living on a boat certainly offers a greener, more relaxed and more individual way of life.

"It can also be significantly cheaper than living on land."

She added: "Today's boats are also warm, comfortable and well-specified coming in a range of styles and sizes, so this lifestyle can appeal to a wide range of people."

Third time lucky for Great Western Road?

Urban Realm 14th September 2012​

Crème Developments have submitted modifications to their long stalled plans to develop a block of flats on the site of a former petrol station on Great Western Road, Glasgow.

The firm has applied to build an additional four homes on top of the forty five flats approved previously. These would be slotted into a new rooftop penthouse space, set back from the main body of the sandstone clad block.

The rest of the £4.2m scheme remains as before and would be built over five floors and incorporates a ground floor commercial space.

Designed by Elder & Cannon Architects it incorporates a landscaped amenity deck with timbered louvres employed to screen residents on the rear balustrade.

The first iteration of the scheme hit headwinds over controversy surrounding the felling of a lime tree.

Discussion starter · #347 ·
3 different applications in for around Clifton pl/Claremont st, Student housing for the former NHS Building and other new extensions around that block.

GSV

12/00521/DC | Use of vacant office building as student accommodation, refurbishment of the exterior elevations and landscaping works. | Clifton House 1 Clifton Place Glasgow G3 7LD

12/00993/DC | Use of office building and part use of ground floor office as student accommodation, formation of single storey roof extension and external alterations. | 14 North Claremont Street Glasgow G3 7LB

12/00997/DC | Use of office building as student accommodation, formation of single storey roof extension and external alterations. | 20 North Claremont Street Glasgow G3 7LE

Ehhh... Work already appears to have started at Great Western Road, looked like they're digging down for foundations by the look of it... The site is now surrounded by hoardings and workmen have been there for more than a month... :S

Don't know if the tanks were ever removed from the Esso so that could be what they're up to. Maybe just see it as a better state to sell the site on in if this one falls through.

They could be doing with cleaning up West Princes Street as well, place is a total dump especially at the St Georges Road end.

18 Park Terrace

Just had a very pleasant surprise. Found out they're redeveloping 18 Park Terrace into flats, that's the one overlooking Kelvingrove Park which was gutted by fire about 7 years ago. Its Parisian style roof was completely destroyed but is being rebuilt in original style and materials, as are the stone dormers and chimney.

The planning ref is 11/01590/DC:

http://pdfserver3c.glasgowcitycounc...ile.do?appType=Planning&appNumber=11/01590/DC

And here's a brief update on the work to rebuild the roof:
http://www.buildingcontractorscotland.co.uk/news.html

The gap site was eventually "claimed" as a community garden, I think there was influence from those who got booted out of the one on Clouston Street. It looks pretty good now although I'm not sure if the corner site has been similarly taken over. The rest is a shithole though, the old hotel is still a dump, people still toss rubbish out the windows into the basements (I hated living down there especially when some lazy dirty fucker nearly drops a rubbish bag on you) and the street is still a mess of skips and uncollected furniture (the "NOT A BIN" notice I painted onto the lamp post outside our flat is still there and still as ignored as ever). And there is still a **** and baws that was scratched into the concrete pavement by a drunken nameless individual. Shocking.

And seriously? It's taken them this long to do something with that building?! I remember spending many a misspent night up there (though possibly it was in 21) playing Worms Armageddon tournaments in my student days, was a sad loss when GU decided to sell McLay Halls off though I see they have since built new ones and renamed them McLay. I know they were gifted as student accomodation so that was probably a condition of the selloff and they must have cost a bomb to run.

The gap site was eventually "claimed" as a community garden, I think there was influence from those who got booted out of the one on Clouston Street. It looks pretty good now although I'm not sure if the corner site has been similarly taken over. The rest is a shithole though, the old hotel is still a dump, people still toss rubbish out the windows into the basements (I hated living down there especially when some lazy dirty fucker nearly drops a rubbish bag on you) and the street is still a mess of skips and uncollected furniture (the "NOT A BIN" notice I painted onto the lamp post outside our flat is still there and still as ignored as ever). And there is still a **** and baws that was scratched into the concrete pavement by a drunken nameless individual. Shocking.

And seriously? It's taken them this long to do something with that building?! I remember spending many a misspent night up there (though possibly it was in 21) playing Worms Armageddon tournaments in my student days, was a sad loss when GU decided to sell McLay Halls off though I see they have since built new ones and renamed them McLay. I know they were gifted as student accomodation so that was probably a condition of the selloff and they must have cost a bomb to run.
Real men play Red Alert 2.

I used to regularly park in Woodlands in the nineties and it wasn't that bad. I thought it might have become more gentrified but from what you say it seems it's gone the other way.

Didn't know 18 Park Terrace was previously a Halls of Residence. The Penthouse Duplex is being marketed at a cool £1 million incidentally.

Discussion starter · #360 ·
GSV > Scottish power cathcart site being put in for outline planning consent

Reference: 12/01817/DC Community Cnl: Cathcart And District
Address: Cathcart House 42 Spean Street Glasgow
Proposal:
Additional
Consultations
Required
Date Received: 10.09.2012 Earliest Date for Planning Application:
Prospective
Applicant:
Scottish Power UK Plc