daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:44 PM   #101
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by G5man View Post
It doesn't have the appeal of an ICE 3 or the rest of the Velaro fleet. I liked the round porthole on the door. The square just doesn't do me any good. Plus, I liked it when the windows would look like a continuous glass instead of noticing the interior interruptions between windows panes.
The ICE3 looks better than the Velaro, true, but design elements like continuous gals bands are expensive.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:53 AM   #102
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Though some are decrying the elimination of the forward view for passengers, Siemens has a good reason for deleting this feature- it allows better crash standards and additional fireproofing- to allow running through the Channel Tunnel. Also, it permits additional seating (+40 in this case), so cost performance is better.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:55 AM   #103
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

! The new train has a stunning design!
Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 12:38 AM   #104
Hubert Pollak

Likes (Received): 0

How much units DB ordered? Do you think thath all of them would be used on London - Bruxelles - Cologne - Frankfurt route?
Old May 4th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #105
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 760

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #106
thun

The newspapers wrote that DB plans to run these in half of Europe (I can't remember all countries, but even Spain was mentioned) which seemed to me rather optimistic with only 15 units.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #107
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
The newspapers wrote that DB plans to run these in half of Europe (I can't remember all countries, but even Spain was mentioned) which seemed to me rather optimistic with only 15 units.
They already have quite a few multi system ICE's. And they already run them to the Netherlands, Belgium and France. I asume these units will be used to reinforce the pool used for these services. I wouldn't mind seeing more ICE services on Brussel - Köln.
A service to the South of France and even Barcelona might make sense too. But don't forget that for a daily train in both directions on that route you'd only need two trainsets.
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #108
Hubert Pollak

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
They already have quite a few multi system ICE's. And they already run them to the Netherlands, Belgium and France. I asume these units will be used to reinforce the pool used for these services. I wouldn't mind seeing more ICE services on Brussel - Köln.
A service to the South of France and even Barcelona might make sense too. But don't forget that for a daily train in both directions on that route you'd only need two trainsets.
Today I wrote information in polish rail internet http://inforail.pl/text.php?from=main&id=32562 thath DB plans connection from Frankfurt (maybe also from Cologne?) with this trains to Marsellie (so also to Lyon) using new high-speed line in France (Rhin - Rohne). It's good idea specially for summer connection also to Nicea and Barcelona.

So I think with only 15 trains DB would serve only north (London) and south (Mediterranean coast).
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #109
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #110
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

Quote:
What a sleek and beautiful train. The new Velaro's front bit looks quite similar to the KTX II. I also happen to like the neatness of the livery. It accentuates the train very well.
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #111
bobke90

Likes (Received): 2

Only eight cars, too short I think.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #112
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobke90 View Post
maybe you should look up other high speed trains, because most of them in europe are designed to be ~200 m long or ~ 400 when coupled
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #113
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 760

The new Technical Specifications for Interoperability define european standards and specifications for railways. Between them the maximum standard length, 400 m. This can be obtained by a single 400 m trainset, two 200 m ones, three of 133 m each, or any else combination. But the most used standard is 200 m: RailJet, Velaro, TGV, ETR 600, ...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #114
bobke90

Likes (Received): 2

Yes, I know dat 200m is the standard. But maybe it is interestesting to invest in longer trainsets. For example trains of 10 or 12 cars.
I think that transport by train, become very important now and in future.
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #115
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Quote:
Yes, I know dat 200m is the standard. But maybe it is interestesting to invest in longer trainsets. For example trains of 10 or 12 cars.
you have to balance the required capacity and the timetable

it is much easier with standardized trains that can be coupled in a few seconds

a fleet made up of EMUs of different lenghts would be extremely inefficient in that regard
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #116
joseph1951
BANNED

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by manrush View Post
What a sleek and beautiful train. The new Velaro's front bit looks quite similar to the KTX II. I also happen to like the neatness of the livery. It accentuates the train very well.
I think the Velaro looks better thant the KTXII. The latter looks like a bad and cheap imitation of the TGV.
joseph1951 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 02:18 AM   #117
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

I think it looks great. muscular..
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #118
NiGhtPiSH
Sofia Hardcore

Likes (Received): 757

Hey do you know what's the access to the factory in Krefeld? There's a chance I'll be traveling to Germany in June and I'd like to photograph the manufacturing of the Velaros.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #119
K_

Quote:
8 cars is just right. You can couple two of them and form 16 car sets if you need more capacity. With 10 or 12 car sets you don't have this flexibility. But it's not so much the number of cars ( a tgv has 10 "cars" but is more or less the same length) but the train length that counts. 200m is ideal. Two coupled fit within the European maximum.

I can see the DB running more Brussel - Köln trains, and coupling them with a train from Amsterdam for the run to Frankfurt, as they already do on some services.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #120
K_

Quote:
You could buy 200m and 100m trainsets, as the SBB is doing now. This way you can form trains of 200m, 300m and 400m, depending on need. However you can't really fit a restaurant in a four car set. So an eight car set is a very useful size. And if you need more you just couple two sets.