daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Old February 21st, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
odlum833

Likes (Received): 548

Busaras - Architectural gem or eyesore?

It's a building much criticised yet much praised also. Kind of like Liberty Hall. It was certainly considered very modern when it first opened. However I do think that it needs a facelift at least but that it should not be demolished. It does have it's sense of place and fits nicely with the scale of the Customs House unlike certain other buildings in the area.

What do you think - and if you did want to see it demolished what should replace it and on what scale?

Also if you have any pics of it today do post

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Last edited by odlum833; February 21st, 2009 at 09:14 PM.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM   #2
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2033

It's not exactly gorgeous, but would be wrong to demolish.

A high quality re-development with modern materials while still keeping original features would be great. I have a love-hate relationship with buildings like these, another one is the Ulster Museum extension, unbelievably hideous.....but rather interesting and ground breaking for its time. I think after the redevelopment at the museum it should look pretty nice indeed.
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:34 PM   #3
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfastuniguy View Post
It's not exactly gorgeous, but would be wrong to demolish.

A high quality re-development with modern materials while still keeping original features would be great. I have a love-hate relationship with buildings like these, another one is the Ulster Museum extension, unbelievably hideous.....but rather interesting and ground breaking for its time. I think after the redevelopment at the museum it should look pretty nice indeed.
My thoughts exactly. Same with Liberty Hall - On one level I hate it, yet it's basically a landmark now, it has been there so long. It too was considered very modern when first completed. It has a bizarre elegance but a well faded facade. On one level it's ugly as sin - on another you cannot imagine it not being there! But I would want Liberty Hall demolished unlike Busaras.

Busaras architecturally is a very smart building and it has a terrific layout inside.

Last edited by odlum833; February 21st, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:51 PM   #4
SnailTrain

Likes (Received): 0

There's a lot about Busarus that reminds me of the Grove Baths in Belfast, an amazing building when it opened, now sadly closed and probably awaiting demolition. Worth looking at if you get a chance. I sort of associate it with Belfast at a happier time, around the period when the luxury liner The Canberra was built and launched.

I say keep Busarus and clean it up. It's way too small for its current role though, with buses parked all around its perimeter.
SnailTrain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:01 PM   #5
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnailTrain View Post

I say keep Busarus and clean it up. It's way too small for its current role though, with buses parked all around its perimeter.
Yes, the site is very constrained. Physical expansion looks impossible on the site and Luas straddles two sides of it aswell. One option surely must be Bus Eireann moving off the site entirely. It will inevitably have to be considered.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:16 AM   #6
saoró...
níféidirliomdulacholadh

Likes (Received): 20

A re-fit definitely. Like belfastuniguy said, the right high quality materials would do it so much good, loads of potential. Unlike HH, there is a building that needs to go by any means, including arsen.
saoró... no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #7
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 19

Eyesore, well and truly.
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #8
LukeIRL

Likes (Received): 7

I think it would be a pity if Bus Eireann moved its services out of here - it's location is pretty much perfect as a transport centre.

I've always thought they should redevelop it somehow to move all the ticket offices / waiting rooms/ shops upstairs and clear the ground floor space for bus use only, with elevators leading down to the platforms. I've seen this in bus stations in Spain and England, and I think it could add a lot of space to both the passenger area and boarding area.

Any thoughts?
LukeIRL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #9
odlum833

Even if they redeveloped it the site is very constrained. The bus station should remain there but a second major terminus should be opened elsewhere within the city center IMO. I don't see, given the constraints, how additional services can be accomodated anymore on that site.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: