search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum > The Urban Fabric > Transport / Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2016, 03:55 PM   #1001
Rokto14

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHT View Post
I am guessing JRL will pass through the ITH, however the actual station might be build between existing station and future development above the current temporary bus interchange. It will likely to be a mirror image of how Westgate is connected to the JE MRT.

If can have a look at the original URA video showcasing JLD masterplan
Just now was watching the Channel 5 news which stated about the developments of JLD. JLD is going to be the second CBD of Singapore so I feel JRL is a MRT line which connects the surrounding estates to JLD just like how most MRT lines pass through current CBD.

The news also stated that JLD's final design will be released in February 2017. So maybe JRL might be announced then too?
Rokto14 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2016, 01:55 AM   #1002
CHT

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokto14 View Post
Just now was watching the Channel 5 news which stated about the developments of JLD. JLD is going to be the second CBD of Singapore so I feel JRL is a MRT line which connects the surrounding estates to JLD just like how most MRT lines pass through current CBD.

The news also stated that JLD's final design will be released in February 2017. So maybe JRL might be announced then too?

I am not sure if the new masterplan for JLD is going to alter the alignment or design of JRL around Jurong East region.

My preference is to have the entire Jurong East section of the JRL be build below ground, running below Jurong Town Hall road, from PIE all the way do AYE and possibly extend to CCL in future.

And the long term goal is to connect JRL with CRL, CCL and perhaps even DTL, then there is really no need for JRL to be build along side the existing JE MRT since LTA is trying hard to avoid channelling more traffic on the already crowded EWL.

The station along this stretch could be one at Chinese Garden MRT, one in the area between Genting Hotel, old JTH and future HSR station which will locate in the JCC, and follow by one at Teban Garden which will interchange with CRL before going east towards West Coast.

Rokto14 liked this post
CHT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2016, 03:24 PM   #1003
Rokto14

Quote:
I am not sure if the new masterplan for JLD is going to alter the alignment or design of JRL around Jurong East region.

My preference is to have the entire Jurong East section of the JRL be build below ground, running below Jurong Town Hall road, from PIE all the way do AYE and possibly extend to CCL in future.

And the long term goal is to connect JRL with CRL, CCL and perhaps even DTL, then there is really no need for JRL to be build along side the existing JE MRT since LTA is trying hard to avoid channelling more traffic on the already crowded EWL.

The station along this stretch could be one at Chinese Garden MRT, one in the area between Genting Hotel, old JTH and future HSR station which will locate in the JCC, and follow by one at Teban Garden which will interchange with CRL before going east towards West Coast.
Talking about the JTH, the news report mentioned that the old JTH and the old science centre building can be put into better use in the future as science centre will be moved to Chinese Garden. I was thinking if the JTH can be used for a station of JRL (maybe the next station after JE on the JRL going towards West Coast). And maybe the old science centre can be modified to be the HSR terminus. Then these 2 buildings can be linked to Jurong East ITH
Old July 13th, 2016, 01:24 AM   #1004
CHT

The other reason why I think the section of JRL should go underground is the possible shifting of AYE southward. If suppose LTA decided to construct a MCE style diversion for AYE near Teban and Pandan area, then having an overhead JRL rail line standing in the middle will limit the land use potential of the area. Plus the fact that CRL section in that area is likely to be below ground and the possible linking of CCL at Haw Par should ideally be below ground as well.

In the RFP, it also mention about central cooling system, the effect of heat and comfort, and underground space. So if budget is no an issue, then going underground might actually make more sense. Perhaps having an underground link way from future HSR station to JRL (JTH station) and JE MRT will be great. And having an JRL EWL interchange at Chinese Garden MRT (which I think will be expanded to integrate with future science centre) will also help reduce unnecessary transit traffic at JE MRT station.

To construct an elevated through running along side JE MRT does seem very challenging to me as there is a lack of clearing in the area to allow another MRT to pass through. Even if they do find a solution around it, then they will also face the challenge of having to construct ITH and JRL at the same time.

Last edited by CHT; July 13th, 2016 at 01:46 AM.
Old July 13th, 2016, 09:48 AM   #1005
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 86

Not the first time they construct a development together with RTS facilities - The Atrium@Orchard is an example... Or the development would look a lot like Heron Quays DLR.

I believe there's a plan for the J-Walk overhead walkways to go to the HSR station, but I'd need some of the more knowledgeable forumers to check this out.

Personally I would want JRL Jurong East to cram onto the ground level of the NSEWL station, then using the void deck there to go underground, turning towards the HSR station as it does so. I think I drew a plan a while back, IDK.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2016, 12:11 PM   #1006
CHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
Not the first time they construct a development together with RTS facilities - The Atrium@Orchard is an example... Or the development would look a lot like Heron Quays DLR.

I believe there's a plan for the J-Walk overhead walkways to go to the HSR station, but I'd need some of the more knowledgeable forumers to check this out.

Personally I would want JRL Jurong East to cram onto the ground level of the NSEWL station, then using the void deck there to go underground, turning towards the HSR station as it does so. I think I drew a plan a while back, IDK.

J-Walk is fine but its certainly not welcoming, weatherproof, comfortable convenient for tourists arriving on HSR. Hence I think there must purposely build air-conditioned direct link way equipped with perhaps travelator and other baggage handling services to connect HSR to the nearest MRT station and ITH.

Changi Airport has set a world class standard, hence I dont think government will neglect the details for HSR stations.
Old July 13th, 2016, 12:29 PM   #1007
luacstjh98

Last I heard CRL and JRL will stop at the HSR station to provide interchange to the HSR.

Besides, short of a large-scale rebuilding Jurong East is ill equipped to handle HSR passengers, I daresay.

Old July 19th, 2016, 10:38 AM   #1008
CHT

Taken from Lawrence Wong fb page. It mention well connected to JRL and CRL, but no mentioned of EWL. Perhaps JRL station at JE will not be located along side JE MRT.

Quote:
Significant milestone reached in our high-speed rail project with Malaysia! Following this MoU, the full Bilateral Agreement is expected to be signed by the end of the year, with construction to take place from 2018 to 2025. So if all goes well, we can take a train to KL in just 90 mins by 2026!
By then, we should also see the site of the Singapore HSR terminus- the Jurong Lake District or JLD - shaping up nicely as our 2nd CBD. Within this new mix-use precinct, the HSR terminus will be well-connected to upcoming MRT stations on the Jurong Region Line and Cross Island Line. And all this will be located next to the beautiful greenery and waters of the Jurong Lake Gardens.
The major pieces of the project are now in place. But there's still lots to do. We'll have to work hard together over the next 10 years to implement the plans. The HSR and JLD are important game-changers that will keep our economy strong and vibrant, create more good jobs and improve the quality of life for Singaporeans.
Old July 19th, 2016, 10:43 AM   #1009
aforl

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Taken from Lawrence Wong fb page. It mention well connected to JRL and CRL, but no mentioned of EWL. Perhaps JRL station at JE will not be located along side JE MRT.
The JE JRL station will be beside JE EWL station and the ITH.

Nonetheless the distance between the HSR station and JE is easily 700 - 800 m. I'd bet there will be another station nearer to the HSR on the JRL.
aforl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2016, 02:47 PM   #1010
Rokto14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aforl View Post

Nonetheless the distance between the HSR station and JE is easily 700 - 800 m. I'd bet there will be another station nearer to the HSR on the JRL.
Will we see the HSR line being printed on our MRT system maps? I guess so...
Old July 19th, 2016, 02:51 PM   #1011
luacstjh98

Once upon a time the Sentosa Express was also on the system map, now they removed it.

It's highly likely that we'll get the HSR operator's logo next to the station name, since the HSR only makes one stop in SG.

Old July 19th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #1012
y2koh

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by aforl View Post

Which means it's true, JRL may no longer run along JTH Rd as previously speculated based on SIs, instead it will cut through JTH Rd and run closer to AYE behind Jurong Town Hall to serve the HSR before turning into Teban Gardens.
y2koh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 12:42 AM   #1013
SGJE

Likes (Received): 0

Since the HSR will complete by 2026. JRL and CRL will connect to HSR, hence JRL line needs to be completed before 2025 as CRL is scheduled only to start in 2030. So JRL portion connecting Tengah, Jurong East and Teban Garden will be first to complete construction? i do think that this section of JRL is underground.
SGJE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 12:50 AM   #1014
y2koh

CRL will definitely be underground, that leaves the HSR and JRL to fight for the remaining underground or at grade space. One of the lines will have to be above ground.
Old July 20th, 2016, 02:28 AM   #1015
luacstjh98

I'm thinking something like Futian Station...

JRL at B1.

Main concourse (MRT, HSR ticketing) at B2.

CRL at B3, along with immigration facilities.

HSR platforms at B4.

Old July 20th, 2016, 02:47 AM   #1016
y2koh

Building the HSR at B4 will be incredibly expensive and unsafe. Out of all the functions, the HSR takes up the most amount of space, hence the station box will be bigger on the bottom and smaller above, unless that B1 to B3 will be used for commercial purposes too. Also, the columns in B4 will be huge, impeding the movement and safety within the platform areas.

Based on your proposal, I think the entire configuration can be pushed upwards. JRL at L2, Concourse, ticketing at L1, CRL at B1 and HSR at B2.

If the architect is able to somewhat resolve the security and circulation, it may be possible to have HSR at B1 and CRL at B3. With a separate part of the building dedicated to vertical circulation between JRL and CRL using a pair of escalators in scissor configuration. This can be done by separating the building longitudinally into secured area and public area on either sides of the HSR platforms
Old July 20th, 2016, 03:08 AM   #1017
luacstjh98

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2koh View Post
Building the HSR at B4 will be incredibly expensive and unsafe. Out of all the functions, the HSR takes up the most amount of space, hence the station box will be bigger on the bottom and smaller above, unless that B1 to B3 will be used for commercial purposes too. Also, the columns in B4 will be huge, impeding the movement and safety within the platform areas.

Based on your proposal, I think the entire configuration can be pushed upwards. JRL at L2, Concourse, ticketing at L1, CRL at B1 and HSR at B2.

If the architect is able to somewhat resolve the security and circulation, it may be possible to have HSR at B1 and CRL at B3. With a separate part of the building dedicated to vertical circulation between JRL and CRL using a pair of escalators in scissor configuration. This can be done by separating the building longitudinally into secured area and public area on either sides of the HSR platforms
As I said, Futian Station...

Futian has the concourse on the top floor (B1), Shenzhen Metro on B2, and EIGHT HSR platforms at B3.

We can even reduce the vertical depth of the station by having JRL and CRL in a configuration like Chinatown, with one of the JRL platforms opening directly to the concourse. Another option would be to run CRL and JRL parallel to each other, or the CRL platforms at HSR platform level, separated from the HSR platforms.

B2 would be customs clearance and waiting rooms, along with the JRL platforms. ICA offices and Malaysian Customs offices can also be here or on B1. The remaining space for commercial use, or integrated with a development above.

Edit: Ueno Station also has its shinkansen platforms at B4. We've built MRT stations far deeper than that, so I don't see what's the problem...

Last edited by luacstjh98; July 20th, 2016 at 03:24 AM.
Old July 20th, 2016, 03:18 AM   #1018
y2koh

On the other hand I suppose the levels (whether basement or above ground) are relative. Since the ground around Jurong Town Hall is undulating and 10-20m higher than the surrounding areas, if the JRL tracks remain level from Jurong East/ITH, it would have been just below the existing ground level of JCC by the time it reaches there.

It is certainly possible to have JRL and CRL on the same level since they may not be crossing one another, or like what you said like CNT. In this case, the HSR platforms can still be either above or below the JRL/CRL.
Old July 20th, 2016, 12:59 PM   #1019
SGJE

Likes (Received): 0

The connectivity of HSR would be poor without CRL as JRL serve only the west region. Imagine walking 700m with your luggage to Jurong east station to go downtown. Don't think you safe much time as compared to flying down to Changi airport for business travel.
SGJE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 02:16 PM   #1020
y2koh

That will only be ensured when CRLw opens in 2030. With the current studies and environment protection measures and impact analyses. I do not think it is possible to expedite the line.