daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City

New York City » Manhattan | Brooklyn & Staten Island | Queens & Bronx | NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT | photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2004, 05:52 AM   #1
FerrariEnzo

Likes (Received): 9

New Nyc Street Lights

Competition to design the new streetlights for NYC:
WEBSITE:http://nyc.gov/html/ddc/html/citylights/winners.html
1st place:

SECOND PLACE:

THIRD PLACE:

New York City's Department of Design and Construction, in partnership with the Department of Transportation, is pleased to announce an international design competition for a new streetlight for the City of New York. The City of New York has provided lighting for the city's streets since 1762. New York City currently maintains over three hundred thousand streetlights within its five boroughs, and is seeking a new streetlight design for the city in the twenty-first century. The city intends to add the new design to the Department of Transportation's Street Lighting Catalogue, continuing a tradition of innovative street lighting begun more than two centuries ago.

COMPETITION GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The goal of this competition is to select a new streetlight design for the City of New York. The winning design and its variations will be used to light streets, sidewalks, and parks within the city's five boroughs. The design challenge facing the competitors is to create an innovative, state-of-the-art design that responds to the unique diversity of the city's architecture and urban landscape while meeting the technical performance standards for a New York City streetlight.

The City of New York is sponsoring this international design competition as the best means to achieve the following objectives:

Seek out and identify new ideas for public street lighting.
Obtain the flexibility to apply an integrated streetlight design on a block-by-block, street-by-street, or district-by-district basis within the city's five boroughs.
Improve and enhance the New York City streetscape by using the design competition process as a tool for positive change on the urban landscape.
Provide the highest level of design quality for this essential streetscape element while ensuring the security and safety of New York City's residents and visitors.
The City of New York is also interested in the potential of the winning design to become a new street lighting standard for the city. The current city standard, introduced almost fifty years ago, consists of variations of a fabricated steel pole and Cobra Head luminaire. It is the city's most widely used streetlight design. The additional design challenge for the competitors is to create an imaginative, cost-effective, and enduring design with the capability, over time, to become the city's preeminent and most widely used streetlight.

ELIGIBILITY
This is a two-stage, international design competition. The competition format asks competitors to submit their concept ideas in Stage I, and for a jury to select three competitors who will receive an honorarium to produce more detailed designs in Stage II. Stage I of the competition is open to the entire design community including architects, artists, engineers, landscape architects, planners, urban designers, lighting designers, product and industrial designers, and manufacturers. Recognizing that the apparent simplicity of a streetlight design belies its technical complexity, the Sponsor encourages multi-disciplinary teams to participate. Stage II competitors will be required to include on their team at least one individual licensed to practice structural engineering in the country or state of their residence.
Mega International resides on that level.
FerrariEnzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #2
Dennis
Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 12

very modern ones!
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #3
swivel
jive turkey

Likes (Received): 21

wild...

my pick

Last edited by Swivle; October 25th, 2004 at 02:06 PM.
swivel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #4
Islander
SSP Native

Likes (Received): 1

Although I love that NYC's feel, in most places, is more old-fashioned than futuristic, I think the city could use more stuff like this. Best of both worlds.
Old October 25th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #5
Ellatur

Likes (Received): 10

ubercool!
Ellatur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 04:25 AM   #6
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 46

I wonder if they'll keep the old fashioned reproduction bishop's crook streetlights around historic areas and have any of these as the standard ones. They recently spent so much money getting the reproduction ones in place.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:07 AM   #7
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by boybaha
I wonder if they'll keep the old fashioned reproduction bishop's crook streetlights around historic areas and have any of these as the standard ones. They recently spent so much money getting the reproduction ones in place.
I'm pretty sure only the standard streetlights will be replaced.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:16 AM   #8
FerrariEnzo

Yeah, only the ugly, "pole and cobras" will be replaced. Anything with zest like wraught iron ect. will remain.
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:48 AM   #9
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 45

The winner is fine with me, pick the streetlight which will interfere the least with skyscraper picture taking.
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:58 PM   #10
jonovision

Likes (Received): 1

Those all look really cool!
jonovision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:59 AM   #11
gramnegative

Likes (Received):

I like the ones that are completely vertical. The other ones Im not to sure about.
Old October 29th, 2004, 04:52 AM   #12
7 World Trade
Long live the Twins!

Likes (Received): 2

the second place one's my fave. so simple, yet so cool.

just don't build any of them in central park...lol
The Ground Zero Rebuilding Scandal- Justin Berzon's complete story of the WTC rebuilding scandal
Proud fan of NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Scott Wimmer
7 World Trade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 05:07 AM   #13
FerrariEnzo

They wont.
Old October 29th, 2004, 05:39 AM   #14
Ellatur

Likes (Received): 10

where ARE they gonna build it?
Ellatur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:21 AM   #15
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

The best streetlights are the ones built to human scale as opposed to the scale of the auto. They should enhance the pedestrian experience, first and foremost
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #16
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

I like the second place ones, they look really futuristic. The first place ones look like fishing poles.
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:12 PM   #17
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

Likes (Received): 0

I like the winner, it's as much about the technology of the light source as it is about the design. I am sure it will be all about LED's, they are energy efficient and last for a decade or more.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote