daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City

New York City » Manhattan | Brooklyn & Staten Island | Queens & Bronx | NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT | photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2004, 07:16 PM   #1
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 45

John Kerry's Remarks On 9/12/01

Interesting, bold and I support everything he said in his remarks on 9/12/01 as delivered on the floor of the US Senate.

Quote:
And I believe one of the first things we should commit to - with federal help that underscores our nation's purpose – is to rebuild the towers of the World Trade Center and show the world we are not afraid - we are defiant.

To those who might say why create another target, the answer is simple: There is no shortage of targets in the United States: There is a White House - There is a Capital and countless other tall buildings. This is not a question of targets. It is a question of strength and our national resolve to stand up and show our strength. That is the best monument we could build to those who died yesterday.
Source

Yet another reason to vote for him.
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:52 PM   #2
Izeklah

Likes (Received): 0

I seriously doubt he still believes that. Countless people said such back on 9/12 and don't believe it now, and Kerry certainly has an exceptional record of "flip-flopping!"
However, if he comes out saying he does, then great!

I don't have a piece of paper saying that I'm an expert on presidential campaigns, but John Kerry, if you every happen to be reading an obscure online skyscraper forum, please read this:

Supporting the rebuilding of the Twin Towers, as you did on 9/12, could help disprove charges that you are a "flip-flop" who never holds opinions.

I'm sure you'll agree, and I'm sure you'll want to hold your opinions. And if not, then who do you think you are? A politician or something?
Izeklah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:42 PM   #3
New Jack City
User

It'd be hard to "flip-flop" around such a statement. What he said was clear, it'd be totally inappropriate for him to back down from his words.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:04 AM   #4
Dash2110
Relocated New Yorker

I don't know, I think you have to imagine what the words "rebuild the towers" mean in the context of a politician like Kerry. He could have simply meant rebuild something, and since there are towers going up, he could simply say that's what he meant. Of course, it could be taken both ways.

And even if Kerry does support rebuilding the WTC to it's original (or near original design), I fail to see how electing him in office would guarantee the Freedom Tower would get cancelled and the twins go back up. It's interesting words to say the least, but a lot was said right after 9/11, and a lot has happened (in terms of ground zero) since then. I guess for all of us wanting them back, hope is all we really have at this point.
Dash2110 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:46 AM   #5
Ellatur

Likes (Received): 10

if i was 5 years older, i would vote for him
Ellatur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 12:57 AM   #6
New Jack City
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash2110
I don't know, I think you have to imagine what the words "rebuild the towers" mean in the context of a politician like Kerry. He could have simply meant rebuild something, and since there are towers going up, he could simply say that's what he meant. Of course, it could be taken both ways.

And even if Kerry does support rebuilding the WTC to it's original (or near original design), I fail to see how electing him in office would guarantee the Freedom Tower would get cancelled and the twins go back up. It's interesting words to say the least, but a lot was said right after 9/11, and a lot has happened (in terms of ground zero) since then. I guess for all of us wanting them back, hope is all we really have at this point.
I see your point Dash, you may be right.

My thinking is that a phrase like "rebuild the towers of the World Trade Center" is as clear and defined in what he wants rebuilt. I mean there are only two towers of the World Trade Center. It would have been much better if he included something like, "to their original form."

I agree with you though, him being elected into office won't impact rebuilding, but it'd be interesting to see where he stands if he was contacted recently about the issue. Maybe we should send him an e-mail or something to see what kind of response we get.

I remember Ed Koch said he wanted the towers to be rebuilt too, here's the exact quote from an article...

Quote:
"A suitable memorial will be erected, but the two loved and admired towers should be rebuilt," former New York City Mayor Ed Koch told the Monitor.
Although a smart move in a sense, President Bush never mentioned what he thought should be built on the WTC site. I can see that it would impact his approval ratings if he said the wrong things, but he is supposely the decisive man who holds true to things he truly believes in.

We already know where politicians and famous people such as Giuliani, Pataki, Koch, Kerry and numerous others like Trump stand on the rebuilding.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:33 AM   #7
Izeklah

Quote:
Originally Posted by savethewtc
I see your point Dash, you may be right.

My thinking is that a phrase like "rebuild the towers of the World Trade Center" is as clear and defined in what he wants rebuilt. I mean there are only two towers of the World Trade Center. It would have been much better if he included something like, "to their original form."

I agree with you though, him being elected into office won't impact rebuilding, but it'd be interesting to see where he stands if he was contacted recently about the issue. Maybe we should send him an e-mail or something to see what kind of response we get.

I remember Ed Koch said he wanted the towers to be rebuilt too, here's the exact quote from an article...

Although a smart move in a sense, President Bush never mentioned what he thought should be built on the WTC site. I can see that it would impact his approval ratings if he said the wrong things, but he is supposely the decisive man who holds true to things he truly believes in.

We already know where politicians and famous people such as Giuliani, Pataki, Koch, Kerry and numerous others like Trump stand on the rebuilding.
I actually sent a letter to Kerry at the beginning of the year-- I never got any reply.

Bush has been very quiet about the rebuilding, but every now and then an LMDC member will make some remark about how they have "the support of President Bush."
Izeklah no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:57 AM   #8
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

If Kerry would actually come out and promise he'd get the Twins rebuilt bigger(taller) and better, and Bush didn't follow suit, I'd actually vote for Kerry. What is built in lower Manhattan will be far more permanent than any policy that either of these guys advocate. So, in the interest of posterity, I would vote for the person who advocates scrapping the unpleasent[/GREATEST_UNDERSTATEMENT_IN_THE_HISTORY_OF_LANGUAGE] plans of the LMDC.
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:49 AM   #9
7 World Trade
Long live the Twins!

Likes (Received): 2

yeah, i would be really happy if kerry can turn into a twin-rebuilding advocate.

the problem is that many people are now really lukewarm about what they desire for the new wtc. it's just been too long, and many people are already losing hope for the twins to return, so i don't think too much attention would be given.

besides, i don't think kerry would be able to dissolve the pataki-bloomberg-silverstein-libeskind-childs axis of fraud and deception. those conservative hotheads are really hard to dislodge (unless we can turn them against each other, then it'll be easy stuff). but if kerry ever seeks to do that, he has my full backing.
The Ground Zero Rebuilding Scandal- Justin Berzon's complete story of the WTC rebuilding scandal
Proud fan of NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Scott Wimmer
7 World Trade no está en línea   Reply With Quote