daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 11th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 902

Grey Street Hotel | Newcastle | 4fl & 5fl | Proposed

5-13 Grey Street

Not sure if this proposed development has been discussed before?

DAV Developments are proposing a conversion on Grey Street for a 55 bed hotel to run through from Grey Street, through Drury Lane and to include Balmbra's in Cloth Market.

The site comprises buildings at:
5-13 Grey Street
5-7 Drury Lane
6-8 Cloth Market (Balmbras Bar)

Quote:
This Design, Access and Heritage Statement has been prepared by _space as part of a full planning and listed building consent application on behalf of DAV Developments Ltd. The application is for the proposed conversion and refurbishment of buildings located at 5-13 Grey Street, 5-7 Drury Lane and 6-8 Cloth Market (Balmbras Bar) into a leisure complex that includes a minimum four star hotel to Grey Street and Drury lane and a high quality bar to the Cloth Market and Drury Lane.
Planning Application with NCC under Ref 2011/0350/01/DET - see http://planningapplications.newcastl...=LHC7G9BSAP000

Certainly looks an interesting development and with recent discussions on Balmbas it is notable that the development promises a high quality bar.

I suppose that NCC will have to be wary of this application as it cuts across two buildings that are Listed but certainly one to watch for progress.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 11th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #2
elliott

Likes (Received): 11

A few images from the app,

elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #3
elliott

Likes (Received): 11

elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
]

Why am I not surprised. Though you were brave to even try Balmbras out.

Mystic Pubwatcher says:
  • Shut or changed owners in a year
  • More flesh in display before it goes bust
Soon to be incorporated into a new 55 bedroom that is proposed to come through from Grey Street, so it's life in it's new guise is VERY limited I would have thought

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; March 14th, 2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #5
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Likes (Received): 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ellwood View Post
Soon to be incorporated into a new 55 bedroom that is proposed to come through from Grey Street, so it's life in it's new guise is VERY limited I would have thought
Interesting...tell me more.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #6
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Check out this thread - scroll down a little bit

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...2#post74132652

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #7
newcastlepubs
Pubwatcher

Likes (Received): 279

Cheers

Quote:
Certainly looks an interesting development and with recent discussions on Balmbas it is notable that the development promises a high quality bar.
Even if we strike out the reference to a high quality bar, to build a luxury hotel is brave. I can't imagine a nights kip in a 4star hotel being assisted by the Bigg Market customers popping home close to sunrise after a beer or two. It would need a significant change in the character of the street.

Last edited by Newcastle Historian; June 14th, 2013 at 01:47 AM.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #8
geordiejon

Likes (Received): 19

This is a really interesting development. Looking at those plans they aim to build some kind of leisure development up Drury lane? There are loads of new doors- I assume to new bars/ restaurants. This would therefore spill out onto the Drury lane? And then an entrance into Balmbras?
My question it about the hotel. Are we not becoming to the point where we have enough?
geordiejon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #9
GBDT

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
It's in the Chronicle today. Planning application (to be) submitted. Balmaras is to be redeveloped again!

The plans includes revamping Drury Lane, which runs from Mosley Street to the Cloth Market “with feature arches and cobbles, which will give it the feel of a city like York”.

DAV plans to develop the former music hall in Balmbras pub in the Cloth Market as a function suite for weddings and corporate events

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1Grtp6Jnj

They already own Balmara's so wonder why they've gone for the burlesque bar when they know they are going to change it again? Wonder if they are factoring in the time it will take to get permission?

Cheers
GBDT
GBDT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #10
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 555

Luxury £15m hotel planned for Newcastle City Centre
by Peter McCusker, Evening Chronicle, March 17th 2011

A luxury hotel is planned for Grey Street in Newcastle City Centre

A LUXURY hotel dubbed "The Dorchester of the North" is planned to open in Newcastle in a £15m scheme which will transform part of the city's most spectacular street.

Over the last four years the wealthy Malhotra family has spent over £5m buying a series of properties on the city’s architecturally stunning Grey Street.

Now, the family has submitted plans for a 55-bed luxury hotel which will have entrances on Grey Street, the Cloth Market and Mosley Street.

Meenu Malhotra, of DAV Developments, said: “The standards will be second to none. It will be on a par with hotels like the Dorchester or the Grosvenor.

“This will be a world class hotel. Newcastle is a big tourist attraction and it needs a splendid hotel like this.

“This will bring a spot of luxury to the city centre, with the quality of finishing and furnishing of a five-star establishment.”

Mr Malhotra said there would be at least four restaurants in the new venture.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1GsOfiXVz
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #11
WilfBurnsFan

Likes (Received): 53

Drury Lane is a right of way, surely, and full of bins from the premises that back onto it from Moseley Street. What will happen to those, I wonder.
WilfBurnsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #12
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 211

Is this going to be Newcastle's first 5* star hotel?

Edit: After looking at the planning documents, their doesn't seem to be any parking spaces included in this development, so therefor this hotel I assume will not be able to be granted a 5* rating, or am I mistaken?

Newcastle Metro Area

Last edited by bigchrisfgb; March 18th, 2011 at 01:21 AM.
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #13
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post

Edit: After looking at the planning documents, their doesn't seem to be any parking spaces included in this development, so therefor this hotel I assume will not be able to be granted a 5* rating, or am I mistaken?
I would imagine that they will get around this by offering valet parking.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old March 18th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #14
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

A continuation of yesterdays Chronicle story in todays Journal, but it contains a bit more detail about the proposals . . .

Luxury in the City Centre
by Peter McCusker, The Journal, March 18th 2011

Plans for a new hotel fronting on Grey Street, include revamping Drury Lane, which runs from Mosley Street to the Cloth Market “with feature arches and cobbles, which will give it the feel of a city like York”.

DAV plans to develop the former music hall in Balmbras pub in the Cloth Market as a function suite for weddings and corporate events.

Mr Malhotra continued: “We will be spending £12m to £15m on developing the hotel. Our aim is to deliver a London-standard destination venue.

“There will be a rooftop restaurant which will allow guests to appreciate the views and celebrate the glory of Grey Street.

“Grey Street is one of the Top 10 streets in Europe. The hotel will be in an ideal location in close proximity to the city centre, the railway station and the Quayside. It has been sad to see the decline of one of the one of the most historic assets of the city.

“We are proud of the city and want to bring this rundown area of splendid Grey Street back to life.

“We want to give something back to the North East. The shape and size of the property means it is unable to meet the five-star requirements.”

The Malhotra family now owns a tranche of property on Grey Street, numbers 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11, and earlier this year it completed the purchase of the Attic bar on Mosley Street. The family already owns Balmbras.

Read More - http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-e...#ixzz1GwPEG1NW
Old March 18th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #15
hollow man

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post

It says in the article that the shape and size of the property means that it is unable to meet 5 star requirements. So, I guess they saying that they are going to offer 5 star standards in a 4 star hotel; if that is possible.
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #16
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollow man View Post
It says in the article that the shape and size of the property means that it is unable to meet 5 star requirements. So, I guess they saying that they are going to offer 5 star standards in a 4 star hotel; if that is possible.
In the Design, Access and Heritage Statement by _space this comment is made:

The application is for the proposed conversion and refurbishment of buildings located at 5-13 Grey Street, 5-7 Drury Lane and 6-8 Cloth Market (Balmbras Bar) into a leisure complex that includes a minimum four star hotel to Grey Street and Drury lane and a high quality bar to the Cloth Market and Drury Lane.

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Old March 18th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #17
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Balmbras pub will be part of a new Hotel Development
by Andy Hughes, Evening Chronicle, March 18th 2011

A FAMOUS Tyneside pub immortalised in song will not be scrapped as part of a £15m hotel development.

Last night, the Chronicle revealed how the Malhotra family has submitted plans for a 55-room luxury hotel which will have entrances on Grey Street, the Cloth Market and Mosley Street.

It was feared it would mean the end for the Balmbras dance hall, which is included in the plans, but the developers today told how the Cloth Market venue will be retained in some form.

Chief executive of DAV Developments Devinder “Bunty” Malhotra said: “People should not worry, Balmbras is part of the bigger development and all its historic features will remain intact.

“Although I’m not sure of the exact plans, I can assure you Balmbras will still be there. “We are well aware of how important Balmbras is to the people of the North East.” Balmbras, which is already owned by the wealthy family, is included in the Geordie anthem Blaydon Races which was written by Geordie Ridley in 1862.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...#ixzz1GxPn5S56
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #18
Steve Ellwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilfBurnsFan View Post
Drury Lane is a right of way, surely, and full of bins from the premises that back onto it from Moseley Street. What will happen to those, I wonder.
A 1950's photograph of Drury Lane in better times, courtesy of the City Libraries Collection @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcast...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

Last edited by Steve Ellwood; March 18th, 2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Spelling mistook
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:26 PM   #19
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

I think this one deserves a 'Project thread' of it's own.

All posts transferred into here from the HOTELS thread, on 22nd March 2011.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:55 PM   #20
JetStreak
Born in Durham

Likes (Received): 4

Newcastle needs more high quality hotels and bars so I welcome this. I've heard many times that the quality just isn't there when you compare to London, Birmingham or even Manchester. Although saying that it will rival the Dorchester seems like a stretch.

And I love the idea of making more of Drury Lane, it's wasted as it is.
JetStreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction, development, developments, hotel, newcastle, newcastle hotels, project, project - newcastle area, projects