daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Florida

Florida Welcome to the sunshine state

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2005, 09:59 PM   #1
Mr Man

Likes (Received): 0

Winn-Dixie

Winn-Dixie Closing 326 Units
By Ian Ritter
Last updated: June 21, 2005 02:08pm

Ian Ritter is national online editor for GlobeSt.com/RETAIL.

JACKSONVILLE, FL-Bankrupt grocer Winn-Dixie is closing 326 units in the US and Bahamas, leaving it with 587 stores. The retailer, hurt by competition from Wal-Mart and other grocery chains, filed for bankruptcy protection in February.

"Creating a smaller, but more profitable store base will best position Winn-Dixie for long-term financial health and a successful future,” says Peter Lynch, the company’s president and CEO, in a statement. “We will be focusing our resources on markets where Winn-Dixie has a strong presence and there are compelling opportunities.”

Winn-Dixie is keeping its presence in some areas of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi and the Bahamas. The company is altogether exiting both Carolinas, Tennessee and Virginia, as well as northern parts of Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi. The retailer will also close some stores in Louisiana.

The company is also shutting three of its 10 distribution centers and will market its manufacturing plants. After the closures, company executives expect annual revenues to drop from their current $10 billion to $7.5 billion.

As a result of this restructuring, Winn-Dixie will reduce its workforce by 28%, or 22,000 employees. During its Q2, the latest quarterly financial period the company has reported, in February, the grocer posted a net loss of $399.7 million compared to $79.5 million for the same period in fiscal 2004. Same-store sales during the quarter dropped 4.9% from the same year-ago period.

-----

This can't be good for Florida's economic growth

Sponsored Links

Old June 21st, 2005, 11:40 PM   #2
John F

Likes (Received): 46

It's funny - I stopped shopping at Winn Dixie because the store qualities tended to be lower than Wal-Mart's and the prices higher than competing supermarkets.

The store went into the wrong direction with it's leadership and everything went down the drain. The name also happens to invoke the south and might not exactly be appealing in most markets. I' rather shop at Albertsons, Publix or Sweetbay (by name only) than a southern fried franchise named Winn-Dixie (or another example -- Piggly WIggly).
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:08 AM   #3
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 2361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Man
Winn-Dixie Closing 326 Units
By Ian Ritter
Last updated: June 21, 2005 02:08pm

Ian Ritter is national online editor for GlobeSt.com/RETAIL.

JACKSONVILLE, FL-Bankrupt grocer Winn-Dixie is closing 326 units.

"Creating a smaller, but more profitable store base will best position Winn-Dixie for long-term financial help.

Winn-Dixie is keeping its presence in some areas of Florida,

The company is also shutting three of its 10 distribution centers

As a result of this restructuring, Winn-Dixie will reduce its workforce by 28%, or 22,000 employees.

-----

This can't be good for Florida's economic growth
Mr. Man , what do you mean not good for Florida's economic growth, Winn Dixie's been dying for years, ever shop at any lately, long lines at stores where less than half the cash registers are open to serve you, something smells bad in the meat department, floors are dirty, milk is outdated, eggs half cracks in them, and forget about any carry out to your car, there's not enough employeees for that anymore.
We go to Publix , Albertson's, Sedano's, Super Target and Super Walmart , and these stores will proudly hire all 22,000 laid off employees by Winn Dixie, I say close them all and bring back Food Fair or A & P Foods.
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:13 AM   #4
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 98

i must say winn-dixie sucked for the last five years...there stores are always so dark,dirty and empty i like publix better
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:15 AM   #5
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 98

anyways now that winn dixie's out of the way publix is growing faster than a nasty weed..its kinda reminding me of walmart...we need more of a variety of supermarkets before publix owns florida
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:19 AM   #6
matttampa

Don't forget, Albertsons is leaving Jax.
matttampa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:33 AM   #7
ChuckScraperMiami#1

Likes (Received): 2361

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttampa
Matt Tampa , well , just like the Miami Area Albertsons that closed in the last 5 years, Publix and Sedano's took over their stores and hired their employees.
I'm sure Publix and other great retailers in the Jacksonville area will take over these Albertson Stores, and Winn Dixies , too.
Remember Everyone , Publix is runned by their own employees, no unions or companies. please let me know if I'm wrong. any comments ???
ChuckScraperMiami#1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:22 AM   #8
SDK4
FSU Meteorologist

Likes (Received): 78

Winn-Dixie is a joke. Sweetbay is the future.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:03 AM   #9
Mr Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckScraperMiami#1
Mr. Man , what do you mean not good for Florida's economic growth, Winn Dixie's been dying for years, ever shop at any lately, long lines at stores where less than half the cash registers are open to serve you, something smells bad in the meat department, floors are dirty, milk is outdated, eggs half cracks in them, and forget about any carry out to your car, there's not enough employeees for that anymore.
We go to Publix , Albertson's, Sedano's, Super Target and Super Walmart , and these stores will proudly hire all 22,000 laid off employees by Winn Dixie, I say close them all and bring back Food Fair or A & P Foods.
Winn-Dixie does suck. But 22,000 jobs loss can't be good news. They aren't exactly the best employees (due to lack of management leadership) so I don't see Publix bring on the whole lot. I shop at Publix which is amazing and I can see why Winn-Dixie is slowly dying.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:04 AM   #10
Mr Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttampa
I thought there were just undergoing a name change... but to what I don't know???
Old June 22nd, 2005, 08:07 AM   #11
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 643

I'll stick to Publix and Albertsons. Sweetbay (aka, Kash N Karry, aka Food Lion) is just as lame as Winn Dixie IMO, only for a different reason.

And of course, I absolutely avoid Wal-Mart, unless my g/f is with me and we're pressed for time.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 02:02 PM   #12
randommichael

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK4
Winn-Dixie is a joke. Sweetbay is the future.
Sweetbay AKA Kash N Karry is the next Winn Dixie in my opinion. I've only been in their stores a few times, but each time I've had to stand in line for long periods of time. The employees were rude and the store was dirty, and this was a new one. I lived in NC, and Sweetbay is the same thing as a Food Lion - an undesirable place to shop. Publix on the other hand is great. Clean stores, nice employees, great service. Great, now I sound like a commercial. I've never been in Albertson's, so I can't judge them.
randommichael no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 02:04 PM   #13
FLHawk
Channelside Pioneer

Likes (Received): 2

Jason, you should stick to your guns and avoid WalMart at ALL costs!!!
Your girlfriend will understand.
FLHawk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:28 PM   #14
Jasonhouse

Likes (Received): 643

^No she won't. It has to do with the fact that our 10 month old daughter isn't too keen on shopping just yet, so if we need some mundane household items and groceries, the super Wal-Mart that's barely two miles away (closer than any other gen merch store, and as close as any other grocer), becomes the best choice, since we will only have to drag her in and out of the car and store just once.
Jasonhouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 04:59 AM   #15
SDK4
FSU Meteorologist

Sweetbay won't be going anywhere for a while, especially down the road Winn-Dixie took. Now WD and Albertsons are leaving, Sweetbay has an even greater chance at success. Just give them a chance, I'm sure things will get better once actual new stores start popping up around the Tampa Bay area instead of the remodeled stores.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:21 AM   #16
John F

Likes (Received): 46

What's the deal with ALbertsons exactly? I went into my local store and they had an advertisement talking about Savon representing their pharmacy now? No sign the store was going to close ...
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:31 AM   #17
Mr Man

Never been to a sweetbay.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:00 AM   #18
Lakelander

Likes (Received): 565

The only Albertsons stores closing, are the 7 in the Jax metro area. They were bought out by a former Winn-Dixie executive, who plans to convert the stores into his own chain called Roy's Supermarkets.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 06:04 AM   #19
Lakelander

Likes (Received): 565

Quote:
Winn-Dixie does suck. But 22,000 jobs loss can't be good news. They aren't exactly the best employees (due to lack of management leadership) so I don't see Publix bring on the whole lot. I shop at Publix which is amazing and I can see why Winn-Dixie is slowly dying.
Most of the 22,000 jobs aren't in Florida. They're in markets like North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, etc. where Winn-Dixie is completely leaving the market. W-D's plan is to focus on its core market, which is Florida and parts of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 02:18 PM   #20
SDK4
FSU Meteorologist

Quote:
Never been to a sweetbay.
If you do live in Tallahassee then you probably won't see a Sweetbay up there until next summer.