SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Kolkata Hospitality | Tourism | Hotels | Restaurants |Street Food | Food Festivals

1M views 5K replies 175 participants last post by  Wonderbank 
#1 ·
Dear Members,

Please share information related to hotels and resturant projecs in Kolkata in this thread. Information regarding existing ones as well as ongoing and upcoming projects can be share here.

#94 ·
ToI reports that Hyatt is going to build their 2nd hotel in Kolkata and land has already been allotted to them. Hope this time they are planning something tall.. :)

The list of wannabe investors is long. The Hyatt group has just been given six acres for their second five-star hotel. Anik Industries has also got five acres for a three-star hotel. “We have also provided land to Ohio Heart Clinic,” the housing minister said. Promoted by a group of Indian cardiologists based in Ohio (US), the Rs 80-crore project involves setting up a 200-bed hospital at New Town. Land has also been allotted for the Kohli Management University.

Upcoming projects at NEW TOWN

+ Hyatt’s second five-star hotel + Ohio Heart Clinic + Anik Industries’ hotel + NBCC housing project + HSCL housing project + EPI housing project + Kohli Management University

#95 ·
^^great news.
2-3 years back I saw an interview on NDTV (or may be CNN IBN, dun remember correctly).
the reporter asked the director of Hyatt hotels that the only property letting you down was Hyatt Calcutta. That time he had said he is quiet upbeat about the business sentiment in the city and plan to open up a second hotel in some time. guess its materializing now :)

#103 ·
The hotel ad in front of Unitech infospace may be for Marriott.. (242 Keys / 32 sq. mt., Club Floor, Suites, All day dining, Banquets, Bar, Deli, Specialty Restaurant, Health Club, Business Centre, Handicapped Room, Swimming Pool)

Source Unitech Group Website
Finally Kolkata is set to get Marriots...this time by Unitech...btw there ws a marriot to come up somewhre around Kolkata Convention centre..but i guess none would come up in near future!!

#105 ·
^^mst probably the hotel that's being built by unitech would be run by the marriot brand...but i also heard that marroit's gonna launch its Courtyard brand in Kolkata...but have no clue if its comming to light or not...i guess its high time that taj should also bring the Vivanta and Ginger brand to Kolkata..Oberoi should bring the Hilton brand..also Acor,Leela,Jaypee,Shangrila,...i guess there are more brands...as m nt being able to recall...!

#107 ·
^^the website says four new hotels are opening up but none in Kolkata...:eek:hno:...a few years ago i even heard that Trident would be launched...but it also went to the backburners...:bash:...regarding great eastern front facade has been given touchup..while the rear portion has been completely destroyed and rebuilt..end 2011 is the deadline (i guess)

#120 ·
Vedic tie-up with US chain

Vedic Village, the luxury resort near Rajarhat that was scarred by an arson attack last year, has entered into an alliance with the world’s largest hotel chain.

Best Western International Inc of the US, with around 4,000 independently owned and operated hotels worldwide, now has a Calcutta footprint in the shape of an 80-room luxury medical spa resort, Best Western Premier Vedic Village.

“We are happy to be associated with Vedic Village, a unique property with ayurvedic and naturopathic wellness programmes. The marketing tie-up will enable us to bring in our international spa and conferencing clientele to Calcutta,” Sudhir Sinha, the president of Best Western India, told Metro.

The reception lobby of the resort, which was destroyed in the mob violence on August 23 last year, has been restored and the two conference halls, also damaged in the mayhem, have been refurbished in sync with Best Western’s global guidelines. A new tea lounge, Chai, with UK brand Newbys, is also being launched.

“We had managed to resume operations barely three weeks after the incident, and now are totally back on world tourism track with this tie-up. There are only 117 Best Western Premier properties around the world, and it’s an honour to be one of the first medical resort spas in that league,” said M.J. Robertson of Vedic Village.

Anil Punjabi, the chairman (east) of the Travel Agents’ Federation of India, feels the marketing alliance between Vedic and Best Western, coming in the wake of the Swissôtel opening, “would boost global tourist traffic to Calcutta”.

Abhijit Das, the joint managing director of property consultants Lemongrass Advisors, agreed with Punjabi’s perception.

The global downturn had resulted in several hospitality projects being either shelved or indefinitely delayed. But recent activity in the shape of the Swissôtel property of Ambuja Realty and the Best Western Premier Vedic Village, besides the upcoming 220-room Taj Gateway business hotel and the 100-key ITC Fortune hotel, has brought in some buoyancy to the segment.