SkyscraperCity Forum banner

KOLKATA - Yuva Bharati Krirangan (120,000)

Tags
kolkata
53K views 72 replies 32 participants last post by  stratospherius 
#1 ·
Yuva Bharati Krirangan

Opened January 1984

Main Stadium of the 3rd South Asian Federation Games in 1987

Home stadium of the East Bengal Club, Mohun Bagan AC, and Mohammedan SC

See less See more
Reactions: n20
#4 ·
Here's how the Yera Bharati Krirangan would be transformed into a modern all-seater stadium:

* Remove the existing seats in the east and west stands
* Remove the existing press box on the west stand
* Clean up the entire stadium
* Dismantle the lower tier and replace it with a new one
* Lower the playing area by a few metres
* Add luxury boxes and press boxes between the tiers
* Dig up the area surrounding the stadium and dismantle the walkways into the stadium
* Add an exterior facade
* Extend the roof so that it covers ALL of the seating
* Install seating all around the stadium

#7 ·
^^That cannot and will not happen in our lifetimes. Even if it is not used for cricket, we are not losing another perfectly good stadium to decay or demolition. Dom't make any suggestions like that again. This stadium cannot die.

#44 ·
^^That cannot and will not happen in our lifetimes. Even if it is not used for cricket, we are not losing another perfectly good stadium to decay or demolition. Dom't make any suggestions like that again. This stadium cannot die.
or what you're going to form a picket line across the internet and refuse people entry to this site? why is every thread you start some over aggressive tirade about what YOU want?

#10 ·
From antriksh_sfo post on the Indian Stadiums thread:

So if Salt Lake is to be renovated, it would cost anything around USD 50 Million if go too lavish.
1. Salt lake is a 3 tier stadium and already has a roof. Consider MCG 3 tier, Yokohama 2002 FIFA WC Final is a 2 tier, the roof does not extend all the way to the first step of the stand. Yokohama again has a solid roof as Salt Lake. So Salt Lake roof need not be tampered and minor strengthening/modifications/beautifications are sufficient.
2. Salt Lake Tier I, II & III have got damaged due to improper usage and maintenance so relaying of the slabs would be necessary.
3. VIP/Media Box/General faccilties, Player Change rooms need to be refursbished again.
4. VIP luxury suites 30 nos in the I tier behind the seats.
5. Field of Play, Practice Ground, training faccility, drainage, landscaping such miscellaneous things need to be addressed.

So as Salt Lake need not have a massive roof work, it would hardly cost USD 50 Million to make it as good as MCG or Berlin Olympic or Yokohama Stadium.
When the EPL Teams tour South East Asia like KL, Jakarta, S'pore, Bangkok etc, if we have a good Salt Lake Stadium, we can even have them play at Kolkata thereby bringing back the glory like when Pele played, when World Champions Argentina played in Kolkata.
It could come down to 80000 to max 85000.
Debabroto, 120000 was when everyone is squeezed and standing not even squating on floor. If evrybody sits on floor, present capcity of Salt Lake would be 108,000. You normally loose 20 to 25% when u make all bucket seats.

#11 ·
Not sure Jim, I can't imagine $50m would go far in terms of the suggestions you've put forward. It's an absolute eyesore of a stadium when compared to other national stadiums around the world. If you consider the main stadium in Delhi has been revamped for this years Commonwealth games, is there really any need for such another large atlectics stadium?

There maybe an argument for Kolkata going for an Olympic bid but in that case the IOC aren't going to be blown away with $50m being spent on a lick of paint around the place. Would it not be better to tear the whole thing down and start again?

#12 · (Edited)
^^I told you before, we cannot tear this stadium down, ever. I don't want that to happen, no one wants that to happen, because we are too afraid to lose a good stadium that can be easily salvaged. I don't care how much of an eyesore it is, this structure can and will get a major reconstruction (including an exterior facade), which by the way, should cost US$200-400 million. And it would be nice if Mumbai got a large stadium like this. If only Delhi, Mumbai, and Kolkata all had large athletics/football stadiums. Delhi has one stadium, Kolkata has one stadium (also has a cricket ground that is essentially the same capacity as the football stadium). If any user here even suggests demolition of the stadium, then don't bother posting in this thread. Reconstruction (a major upgrade) is the only option for this stadium. Eden Gardens is also getting a reconstruction. Kolkata already used this stadium for a South Asian Games, why not use it for a Commonwealth Games or an Asian Games?

And does this stadium even have structural defects, if any?

#14 ·
Is that a realistic idea at the moment seeing as the focus in the city is on the rennovation of the Eden Gardens stadium for the Cricket World Cup? Who would foot the bill at the amount you're suggesting?

Also, if the amount were available would it also make sense to develop the surrounding areas of the stadium with smaller venues to create sports hub to try and maybe promote other sports in the city

#13 ·
THANK YOU for making this thread! i was planning to create it myself right after i made the May Day thread but i was to lazy ;) and the capacity in this one is a mystery aswell... since there are some plastic seats now im guessing the absolut maximum capacity is still lower than 120 000....

#15 ·
^^If you're talking about potential demolition of the Salt Lake Stadium, no it is not a realistic idea. Gonna have to do a renovaton sooner or later. The surrounding area does include a hotel with a few hundred rooms and a warmuo athletics track. Yes, the amount includes improving its surroundings.

#17 ·
^^I don't care where the funding comes from, as long as it is either public or private, or a combination of the two.

#18 ·
I told you before, we cannot tear this stadium down, ever. I don't want that to happen, no one wants that to happen, because we are too afraid to lose a good stadium that can be easily salvaged. I don't care how much of an eyesore it is, this structure can and will get a major reconstruction (including an exterior facade), which by the way, should cost US$200-400 million...

...Reconstruction (a major upgrade) is the only option for this stadium. Eden Gardens is also getting a reconstruction. Kolkata already used this stadium for a South Asian Games, why not use it for a Commonwealth Games or an Asian Games?
why are you so hell bent on keeping a stadium half way accross the earth 'open'? your attitude really grates too, work for English herritage per chance?

the place isn't viable as it is, renovating it will be a waste of public money [no private money is going to do it because... IT'S NOT VIABLE]

let that sink in while you mull over how much of a waste of public money the mickey mouse olympics are, your ideal saviours of this dump heap.:nuts:

what to do with it? demolish and build a proper football stadium. a national football stadium is fine. East Bengal deserve nothing less for being the only place that supports football. Dhi'lli can suck it:evil: Kolkata's only sport is football, and the state is home to the second oldest professional football league in the world.

Theres no such thing as an athletics/football stadium, those pesky tracks are like cancer to the health of a football club [they're only tolerated for one off big events before anyone responds with world cup final venues], and they're rubbish as national stadiums.

It was a mistake to build this thing in the first place, thankfully it can now be rectified with a wrecking ball:cheers:

btw jim, you ever been there?

#19 · (Edited)
^^Okay your post has made my blood boil and it is painful to watch, if Salt Lake Stadium is torn down, it would be like the old Delle Alpi Stadium.

The thing is that the stadium cannot be lost to the wrecking ball and can be easily salvaged. The government better save this stadium and think up of a good renovation plan. If Kolkata wants to bid for any regional sporting events or world champions, they will salvage this stadium for use in such an event.

So the answer to your question (and any viable demolition plan for this stadium which won't become reality) is NO!! NO WRECKING BALLS OR DYNAMITE. THIS STADIUM CAN BE RECTIFIED BY RECONSTRUCTION AND ONLY RECONSTRUCTION! I DO NOT WANT THIS STADIUM DEMOLISHED, THAT IS FINAL!!

I have said and I quote: If any user here even suggests demolition of the Yuva Bharati Krirangan stadium in this thread, especially just to initiate a conflict and provoke other users, then don't bother posting in this thread.

And quit asking me if I have been to Calcutta.

#20 ·
^^^ lol. you have worked for English herritage at some point.

What do you possibly know of Bengali sporting culture? did you even know football is all Kolkata cares for? cricket is only tolerated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQmmzEyLTKE&feature=related

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much wasted potential. a renovation wont fix it. it will still be an athletics stadium. ^^^ that was an hour before the game aswell, and only a small club :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTDAFdv_Y5I&feature=related

some basic background info for you, the important thing for you to remember is that Bengalis are sterotyped as football people in the rest of india. football and mishti [sweets, moslty deep fired sugar variants] is the first thing that pops into their selfish, fickle dimwitted heads when they think of the people there. the rest of the video you can ignore.

your not helping by wanting this thing 'restored'. it wastes potential, serves no purpose and is an economic black hole. your sentiments are misplaced, silly, emotional and irrational. Only an EH collaborator or sympathiser would think this way.

#22 ·
Now that last paragraph in this post is full of lies and the entire post is made up of personal attacks, which are intolerable in this forum. "Emotional" is the right word, the other three are wrong. I can put o=you on my ignore list just for that.

#21 ·
If Kolkata wants to bid for any regional sporting events or world champions
They dont want to, they're smarter and less insecure about themselves than the rest of India to care for such piffle.

If any user here even suggests demolition of the Yuva Bharati Krirangan stadium in this thread, especially just to initiate a conflict and provoke other users, then don't bother posting in this thread.
Oh behave. solipsism is bad for you. too much of it and you'll end up permanently programmed to think like every Amercan on this forum.

#24 · (Edited)
^^Um, yes, there were personal attacks.

Oh behave. solipsism is bad for you. too much of it and you'll end up permanently programmed to think like every Amercan on this forum.
Behave, my a$$. I am not in favour of a demolition of Salt Lake Stadium, and I would appreciate it if you never make another post in this thread again. And one more thing: Solipsism sucks!

#26 ·
@Jim,
chill out man.....there will be some who won't ever wish well for Kolkata.....there are many who has never heard of Kolkata......so please don't bother about them...it's foolish to teach them culture of Kolkata...fat-headed men are just intolerable......I just want to know when are the renovations of Yuvabharati stadium starting?????? and one more thing.....can we renovate Rabindra Sarovar stadium too?????.....then it can also serve as the second football stadium in the city.....

#27 ·
^^I can't, some pain-in-the-entire-body considered demolition of a perfectly good stadium and I repeatedly said no to his suggestion, he made personal attacks on this site and repeatedly and annoyingly used the word "solipsism". I refused to "chill out" until that user is properly dealt with.

Currently, there aren't any serious proposals for a reconstruction of this stadium. Rabindra Sarovar Stadium can be upgraded, by tearing down the current stands and putting in new stadn.

#30 ·
@jim,

why bother about fat-headed persons.....they say you so because they are so familiar with the word..:):lol:..well, these projects should be taken up seriously sooner......Rabindra Sarovar Stadium is gradually getting rotten due to improper maintainance....

#32 ·
^^You're starting to act mean, and I don't like it when users start to act mean. Don't make another post (or at least a problematic one) in this thread again, and there won't be any more problems.

#34 ·
I do have a clue about it. Feeding me more personal attacks is wat you keep doing, and I don't like personal attacks.

#35 ·
Then get off SSC. This is a forum, and you're gonna get attacked for silly views.

Whining to the mods isn't going to help you. You actually thought it was appropriate to ask someone to be reprimanded for having views opposite to yours? Give me a break. You're such a whiny crybaby. Fight your own battles.

You act like a stuck up, spoiled brat who thinks he should always get his way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.