SkyscraperCity Forum banner
2M views 9K replies 388 participants last post by  Suncity 
#1 ·
Here's Kolkata - They say beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

BBD Bagh - the original centre of the city.

Seen here - the General Post Office (GPO), Reserve Bank of India.

The South Chowringhee Skyline - the business district

Seen here - Jeevan Sudha, Tata Centre, Everest House

Indira Gandhi Sarani(Road) connects BBD Bagh and Chowringhee..

The Kolkata Strand - along the Hooghly River and the Vidyasagar Bridge.

The River Festival - 2002

The Strand Skyline

The Ranji Stadium at Eden Gardens - 90,000 capacity cricket stadium.

Shahid Minar (martyrs' monument)

Victoria Memorial

See less See more
#21 ·
I was talking to a friend of mine today and it drifted towards Kolkata. He was still under the impression that Kolkata is the stinky, crumbling city where communists stop working at the drop of a hat, and he didnt believe me when i told him they were building five star hotels, these 20 story high rises, new industrial complexes etc.

And i was talking to a Kolkatan about it and he said that they are doing now what they should have done 20 years ago. Ah well, the fact that communists are at least doing something is refreshing!

#24 · (Edited)
kronik said:
And i was talking to a Kolkatan about it and he said that they are doing now what they should have done 20 years ago. Ah well, the fact that communists are at least doing something is refreshing!
Very true indeed. The communists and their policies - no computers, no private capital, no foreign investment, no English, no private engineering colleges and a lot of other "no"s caused a lot of harm to the state. Now of course they have changed a bit but closing a 20- 15 year gap is not that easy. They have accepted that their policies were in general wrong and they have made several amends. But as they say better late than never.

The Communists had turned West Bengal into Waste Bengal and now have suddenly decided it's time to make it Best Bengal. Their first project to turn West Bengal to Waste Bengal was pretty successful. Hopefully their new project of converting Waste Bengal to Best Bengal will be equally successful.

#30 · (Edited)
Bharatiyam,the Cultural Multiplex of the Eastern Zonal Cultural Centre, Kolkata. Spread across 1.34 acres of land, the grey and brick red complex comprises seven components. These include Purbashree, a 908-seater airconditioned auditorium with state-of-the-art lighting and acoustic systems, Rangmanch, a 400-seater open air performance area, Naatghar, a studio theatre for smaller audiences; Shobhaghar, an art gallery for painting and sculpture exhibitions; Karmashalas I and II, two identical halls for conducting workshops and Kalamandap, an open air terrace for crafts fair and food festivals.

Artistically designed exteriors and interiors replete with terracotta murals and stained glass paintings provide an ideal backdrop.

#32 · (Edited)
National Institute of Fashion Technology

West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences

Indian Statistical Institute

Indian Institute of Management

The 750 seater auditorium - some similarity with the EZCC!

The Management Centre for Human Values

Tata Hall - acco for executives.

#38 · (Edited)
Each picture tells a story..

1) The Haze - it's terrible

2) The road - Once they built the flyover, they forgot to fix the road beneath. The company entrusted with the work is a private company! And they haven't been able to do it for over a year now.

Also look at the designed footpath that a shop has made!

3) The well fed Kolkata Police. Only if he worked as well.

4) The shoddiness of the whole place and people walking casually as if its their backyard..

5-6-7) yes the lanes have been improved but remember this was considered the elite area of Kolkata at one time. It was one of the first "planned" areas of the city (before independence). There is no drain outlet which creates water logging.

#39 ·
Suncity said:
Each picture tells a story..

1) The Haze - it's terrible

2) The road - Once they built the flyover, they forgot to fix the road beneath. The company entrusted with the work is a private company! And they haven't been able to do it for over a year now.

Also look at the designed footpath that a shop has made!

4) The well fed Kolkata Police. Only if he worked as well.

5) The shoddiness of the whole place and people walking casually as if its their backyard..

Suncity.....................on the good side. Check out the latest pics I added to the same post. Even the narrow alleys of metro Calcutta looks neat, clean & fully lit. Atleast thats a good news. atleast the garbage guys are doing excellent job.

#40 · (Edited)
Hindustani said:
Suncity.....................on the good side. Check out the latest pics I added to the same post. Even the narrow alleys of metro Calcutta looks neat, clean & fully lit. Atleast thats a good news. atleast the garbage guys are doing excellent job.
Ballygunge is old but a relatively clean place. But I dunno why they built such narrow streets. Even the areas like Jodhpur Park and Lake Gardens (posh areas) have streets which may be in grid pattern but pretty narrow.

The Gariahat Junction has improved a lot but the Flyover construction had created a mess.