daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > General European discussions > Phototeka

Phototeka Urban photo's of skyscrapers, skylines, architecture and cityscapes

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 29th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #121
geronimo_rs

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #122
dewrob

Likes (Received): 24

Skopje

dewrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:32 PM   #123
Kim André
The Norwegian

Likes (Received): 12

I've just spent som time looking through this and the previous Macedonia picture-thread, djurob, and I think you've done a great job in promoting Skopje and Macedonia in general. Good job!
Kim André no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:52 PM   #124
dewrob

thanx
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #125
DvW
德明

Likes (Received): 1602

Hey!

Next wednesday I'll visit Ohrid, I'll stay there till 20th of august.

What do I really have to see in this city?

I'd also like to see some things outside this city, but I don't know what exactly yet. I don't know how the infrastructure is arranged. Maybe we'll visit some nature park, some other cities or maybe Albania.
DvW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #126
dewrob

here is a bad quality map of the lake but perhaps it will help U cause I marked some highlights...

If I remember correctly U will be accomodatet in Hotel Metropol which is #6 on the map. From there U should be easily connected to to the eastern lakeshore on the range Ohrid-St.Naum (#4-#11) which is around 35km long and is where most of the stuff are situated. There are regular bus lines going passing on that range all the time, there are Taxis whichs are cheap, but U should always insist that they run on Taximeter, cause otherwise they'll rip U off. There are also smaller vans and shuttle busses driving on the bus route all day long. For the nights I'm not sure how is the schedule U will have to check that out Urself, but I think the first bus in the morning is at 4AM (which is good for coming back from nightlife in Ohrid). I think there is also a shipline from Ohrid (#4) to St.Naum (#11) which stops by your hotel too to pick up passangers. As for transport to Struga, U got to go to the intercity station in Ohrid. I've heard it's a bit messy cause they've just relocated it. Struga is 14km away from Ohrid, so it's not a long trip.

Not let's go point by point, first the Ohirid part of the lake....

#4 - I guess the most important segment of Ur trip together with the lake itself. Focus on the old town, there is lots to see, it's nice for walking around. Most of the nightlife, nice restaurants and bars etc etc are to be found there. U should check out the Samoul fortress overlooking the town and the church St. Jovan Kaneo from where U have one of the most spectacular views over the lake, just ask the locals and they'll tell U how to reach it it's some 10-15mins walking from the center. Also the shoreline of the lake is good as well as the old carsija which leads to the interior of the town and where U see the Turkish influences. I don't know what to reccomend U for night life as I have not been there on vacation myself for 5 years now, but I'm sure U'll figure it out.

#5 - This is the GORICA resort. It has some nice beaches but other than that nothing just some hotels, nothing really to do there except sunbathe

#6 - This is where U stay

#7 - PESHTANI, the largest tourist village on the shoreline. I've never stayed there just passed through it, but U have some restaurants and stuff there. It's beach is not so good I think.

#8 - Camp GRADISTE. Usually a very crowded place, but it has some of the nices beaches and cleanest water on the whole shoreline. U also might catch some beach parties with DJs and stuff there. It has 3 beachers, from which the 1st one is more for family people, and the 2nd and 3rd are for younger ones. There are beach bars and music all day long.

#9 - VIllage TRPEJCA. I haven't been there, but it becane really popular in the last yearts. The beaches should be nice there and there should be some restaurants and stuff...

#10 - St. ZAUM. This place is only accecible by water. It's a small beach with an old church on it. The lake is the cleanest and deepest there. It's off the tourist track, usually just locals go there, but it's nice for one day for a swim or something.

#11 - St. NAUM. This is the last place before Albania and it's a must. One of the most beautifil monasterties in Macedonia is there, the springs of the River Crn Drim which are absolutely spectacular. U have a nice sandy stretch of beaches there (most of Ohrid has rocky beaches).

Now the Struga section.

#1 - RADOZDA. I've never been there but I've always heard it's nice. The standards story... Nice church and a nice beach.

#2 - HOTEL BISER... The beach on this hotel has been really popular this season with young people. Beach parties, beach bars, blah blah...

#3 - STRUGA, the second largest town on the lake. Nothing compared to Ohrid but U can check it out, it's where the river CRN DRIM flows out of the lake, and it has some nice areas...

For visiting other places I'd reccomend

Vevcani, Mavrovo and Bitola which are all max 100km away. I can't give U any tips for the transport to these places though other that the only option is the bus. But knowing our transport is not really efficient, U can arrange trips through

www.exploringmacedonia.com

I definately reccomend this option so U don't waste any time in organizing the trips Urself as it can be a tricky business here...

Old August 5th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #127
DvW
德明

^ Wow u did a lot of research for me! Thanks man! U really gave me a lot of interesting tips! Thanks!

PS U have to clean your PM-Inbox, cause it bulges out!
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #128
dewrob

it's clean now
Old August 5th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #129
DvW
德明

Do u also have a map of Ohrid? Or do u know a website or link where I can find a useful map with some important places and tourist attractions shown on it?
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #130
dewrob

ok, I found some map of Ohrid, and I did some quick sketching cause I gotta run so that's why it looks bad but....

First of all, U need to stick in the marked area. That's where old Ohrid, real Ohrid is... Most of the other stuff are just just one big sleeping room, meaning just appartment blocks owned by other Macedonians, non Ohriders usually used only in summer... But definately nothing interesting to see...

The highlighted area.... I'm sure U'll find your way around here. It's not big at all, it's crowded most of the time... Just follow the flow and that's it... but anyways....

#1 - This is where that church 'St. Jovan Kaneo', the one with the great view that I mentioned in my previous post... The church itself is a masterpiece of Christian Orthodox architecture... Here is a sample of what am I talking about, pic taken some 100-200m from the place

#2 - That's the fortress. Nothing much to explain about it...

#3 - This is the old core of the city. This is where I'd stick around the most. It's where all the cozy narrow streets with old architecture are, and most of the nice bars, restaurants and cafes so it has a nice atmosphere. As I haven't been there for summer vacation for a long time I can't reccomend U some place for nighlife and stuff... Except perhaps

Cafe Aquarius - which has the best setting in my opinion, right by the lakeshore. This is more a place to relax and have a coffie or something, but I think there is stuff going on at night too

Jazz in - it's a nice cozy pub, with usually nice jazz, rock or world music...

Last year I was there for one day and there was this nice bar with live rock music on the main square... I can't remember the name...

The town usually dies out after 1-2 and everything moves to the clubs, but I don't know what clubs are cool these days.... So for the rest U'll have to discover it Urself...

#4 - this is where the main square and the port is. basically that's the central point from where U usually start.

#5 - this is a nice walking area and it slowly blends with a more Turkish (in terms of architecture) part of Ohrid. It's nice, lots of people always, lots of shops with all kinds of stuff... It finishes out with #6 which is another square where the "turkish" Ohrid ends and those regular boring appartment buildings start....

#7 - I'm not sure if there is much to see in this area, it's mostely appartments and stuff, some hotels, the central post office stuff like that. I know there has been lots of counstruction there in the last years and it might be OK, but nothing really authentic....

#8 - This is a large walking area by the lake going all the way to the Gorica resort (I meantioned it in the previous post), some 5km from the town. People use it for relaxed walks, jogging, biking, some fish there etc... It's an OK walk. At the end of the walking area within the city limits are some sport and recreational fascilities and some night clubs. U will also find there the Biljana springs which are cool to see... Through them the Ohrid lake is interconected with the neighbouring Prespa lake. BTW Prespa lake is very close too, so if U can organize Urself U can check it out. It's right on the other side of the mountain. It's nice and all but not nice as the Ohrid like nor is the area touristically developed. But there are some nice and authentic things to see.. Here is a touristic map I've found with all the important places in Ohrid and the surroundings....

ughr... that's all I can remember for now... if I remember something extra I'll PM U, in the mean time I'll repeat again, fell free to ask any specific questions...

Old August 5th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #131
dewrob

oh and here are two web sites U can check out for extra info. The first one seemed more informative to me...

http://www.ohrid-vizija.com.mk/en/in...p?vidi=ao&oh=1

www.ohrid.org.mk
Old August 5th, 2006, 11:00 PM   #132
Got_Gigi

Likes (Received): 0

I honestly think that an urban plan doesn't exist on the other side of the bridge (Albanian side). Hope VPRMO-DPMNE sort this out with PDSH because without Cair and every region on the side of the bridge, without those places being fulfilled with the obligatory needs EU doesnt want to see Macedonia on the waiting list.
Got_Gigi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #133
dewrob

Are U from Cair mate? Of course there is an urban plan for Cair it's another thing how much it is respected in recent years... But U are being too harsh on the neighbourhood. Yes it is infrastructurally weaker than most of the rest of Skopje but except of certain minor run down favela like areas (which exist in other suburbs of the city as well), it's not really an urbanistic mess. Actiually it's one of the nicer more humane areas from urbanistic viewpoint. Not too dense, logical layout, lots of green areas and trees. I think its major downside is the infrastructure but the new boulevard "Slovenecka" is under construction finally so that ought to solve a few problems.
And surely U can't expect much from VMRO and PDSH... They are the central government the show in Cair is run by Trifun Kostovski for the major infrastructure and by Idzet Memeti (BDI) for the secondary and more local infrastructure and issues.
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:24 PM   #134
DvW
德明

Wow, Macedonia was awesome! This country is so beautiful! I really enjoyed my holiday! I visited the area from the south of Lake Ohrid to Mavrovo. I'm gonna post a lot of pics I've made here if u want. I'll make here a link to the HHF. I've also been to Pogradec and Körce, Albania.
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:53 AM   #135
labi

^please do so. i for one like to see them.
labi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 02:22 AM   #136
got pidh?
BANNED

hey i know this is off topic a little but an Albanian kid asked to translate something into macedonian, do you think one of you guys can do that for me please?

I got your reply from your (...). We have arranged to meet soon. Hope you have not gotten in trouble. Anyways I explained that it is not your fault, but i still am up for it. Anyways i will (...) him up when we meet.

this is what he wanted to have translated Thanks
got pidh? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 03:01 AM   #137
dewrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by got pidh?
hey i know this is off topic a little but an Albanian kid asked to translate something into macedonian, do you think one of you guys can do that for me please?

I got your reply from your (...). We have arranged to meet soon. Hope you have not gotten in trouble. Anyways I explained that it is not your fault, but i still am up for it. Anyways i will (...) him up when we meet.

this is what he wanted to have translated Thanks
np man

Dobiv odgovor od tvojot (...). Dogovorivme da se sretneme naskoro. Se nadevam deka ne si zapadnal vo nekoja nevolja. Vo sekoj slucaj jas objasniv deka toa ne e tvoja greska, ama jas sum seuste za toa. Vo sekoj slucaj jas kje (...) nego koga kje se sretneme.

that's like a literal translation but the text itself didn't make that much sence to me ... hope it helps anyway
Old August 21st, 2006, 03:02 AM   #138
dewrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvW
Wow, Macedonia was awesome! This country is so beautiful! I really enjoyed my holiday! I visited the area from the south of Lake Ohrid to Mavrovo. I'm gonna post a lot of pics I've made here if u want. I'll make here a link to the HHF. I've also been to Pogradec and Körce, Albania.
glad that U had good time... it would be cool to see some pics... hope my instructions helped U out...

Old August 21st, 2006, 03:24 AM   #139
got pidh?
BANNED

it does help thank you very much, some albanian guy from another forum was asking lol
got pidh? no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 05:41 AM   #140
MKballer
Македонија

hey watsup guys...DvW sounds cool dude i would love to see those pics!!!
i've been back from MK for a month and 2 days now and i still haven't posted the pics...sorry guys haha

Tags
македонија, macedonia

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: