daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Citytalk and Urban Issues

Citytalk and Urban Issues » Guess the City

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2005, 06:53 AM   #1
VansTripp
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Gas prices around the world

Think you pay a lot for gas? Perhaps you'd prefer to live in Venezuela.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) – Gasoline prices in the United States, which have recently hit record highs, are actually much lower than in many countries. Drivers in some European cities, like Amsterdam and Oslo, are paying nearly 3 times more than those in the U.S.

The main factor in price disparities between countries is government policy, according to AirInc, a company that tracks the cost of living in various places around the world. Many European nations tax gasoline heavily, with taxes making up as much as 75 percent of the cost of a gallon of gasoline, said a spokesperson for AirInc.

In a few Latin America and Middle-East nations, such as Venezuela and Saudi Arabia, oil is produced by a government-owned company and local gasoline prices are kept low as a benefit to the nation's citizens, he said. All prices updated March, 2005.

Nation City Price in USD Regular/Gallon
Netherlands Amsterdam $6.48
Norway Oslo $6.27
Italy Milan $5.96
Denmark Copenhagen $5.93
Belgium Brussels $5.91
Sweden Stockholm $5.80
United Kingdom London $5.79
Germany Frankfurt $5.57
France Paris $5.54
Portugal Lisbon $5.35
Hungary Budapest $4.94
Luxembourg $4.82
Croatia Zagreb $4.81
Ireland Dublin $4.78
Switzerland Geneva $4.74
Spain Madrid $4.55
Japan Tokyo $4.24
Czech Republic Prague $4.19
Romania Bucharest $4.09
Andorra $4.08
Estonia Tallinn $3.62
Bulgaria Sofia $3.52
Brazil Brasilia $3.12
Cuba Havana $3.03
Taiwan Taipei $2.84
Lebanon Beirut $2.63
South Africa Johannesburg $2.62
Nicaragua Managua $2.61
Panama Panama City $2.19
Russia Moscow $2.10
Puerto Rico San Juan $1.74
Saudi Arabia Riyadh $0.91
Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
Egypt Cairo $0.65
Nigeria Lagos $0.38
Venezuela Caracas $0.12

Source: air-inc.com

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...bal_gasprices/
VansTripp no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 15th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #2
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6864

In the May 2004 survey, Hong Kong was 2nd at $5.62. Hong Kong gas prices are regulated by the government. Prices do not fluctuate daily, and gas companies must notify the government for changes.

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...ces/price.html

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:35 AM   #3
JARdan

Likes (Received): 3

Gas prices in the GTA are probably averaging around $2.40 US/Gallon or 80cents CDN/litre.
JARdan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #4
PotatoGuy

Likes (Received): 1

wow, and we southern californians complain when the gas goes over 2.50! i fell guilty now, haha
PotatoGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:43 AM   #5
demanjo

Likes (Received): 0

But your cars use alot more fuel, so it costs you alot more... so its OK, you can understand why you all whinge alot more...

Oh wait no it isnt.

Sorry about that, that was a poor swipe :P Not directed at you, just a comment in general.
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #6
LEP
Lake Garda

You guys are lucky that you can get your cars running on gas. I think its much better than petrol as its cleaner and safer for the ozone layer. Gas cars are still hard to find here in Europe as most run on petrol or diesel.
LEP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #7
demanjo

Im quite sure that "gas" is just an american term for Petrol. I think they all do use unleaded petrol.
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:09 AM   #8
mad_nick

Quote:
But your cars use alot more fuel, so it costs you alot more... so its OK, you can understand why you all whinge alot more...
But the reason why european cars don't use as much fuel is partly because of the high gas prices. I advocate taxing the hell out of gas here too, maybe people would stop driving all these gas guzzling SUV's. Can a city tax gas btw? If so I'd like the city to tax gas so it'll cost $6 / gallon here, if people must drive, they should drive fuel efficient cars, and it's not like they have to drive in nyc unless their jobs require it. (in which case the company would probably pay for the gas)
mad_nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:12 AM   #9
WeasteDevil
Salford Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by demanjo
Im quite sure that "gas" is just an american term for Petrol. I think they all do use unleaded petrol.
It is the American word for Petrol.

Gasolina is the Spanish word, maybe they get it from that?
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:13 AM   #10
odegaard

quite true. In America the word "gas" almost always means gasoline or petrol as what the brits would call it.

Americans use the term "natural gas" to mean gas.

and BTW I've never heard anyone in America use the word "petro" before.
odegaard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #11
demanjo

Exactly... thats what im pointing at. I was trying to satirise the "percieved" american mentality, of the right to own a big car. Fuel efficiency is my number one factor in choosing my cars, and i live in Australia, where fuel is about $1.10/litre - not THAT expensive. Even living how i do, i use public transport and walk as much as possible.

I also believe in cranking up the price of petrol, mainly with the motivation to be reducing vehicle size, with the main factor being environmental concerns. I think it is very arrogant and rude to think that you have the right to drive a down right in-efficient car, as we know that it is everyones air & everyones problem. Sure people have to drive, but it is like throwing away a finite resource. I'm sure we will be wishing that we all drove Toyota Echo's when oil supply cant keep up with demand (as it is showing signs of doing), and the resource becomes ever more scarce.
Old June 15th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #12
djm19

Well...maybe if gasoline cost 6.48 in America, you would see more americans with small cars (or no car at all). In fact, I have no doubt that would be the case. Hell, just the recent rise in price to around 2.50 has caused a lot of people in southern cali to consider their options (though mass transit hasnt built up quite enough yet to be favorable). I do think that the largest amount of sales of hybrid cars are in california where gas is especially expensive (by american standards).
djm19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #13
-

Quote:
Netherlands Amsterdam $6.48
I would like to thank the government for this. It's time to lower those taxes because everbody complains about it.
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #14
Madman
London 2012

Likes (Received): 7

I thought it was bad n Britain, but the Netherlands make our fuel look quite cheap...still i think its wrong that it cost my parents nearly £60 ($110) to fill their cars.
Madman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #15
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 15

Personally, I think it's a good thing that fuel is so expensive in Europe. Europe is a very dense place (well, Western Europe anyway) If people drove as much as they did in the U.S. and with such gas-guzzling cars, the pollution here would be horrific.

The high prices do seem excessive, but they forced the sales of more fuel efficient cars, which does offset the price somewhat. The size of cars in Europe is generally smaller as well, which offsets this price even further, so although the cost of driving between A and B is still more expensive in Europe, it is not as bad as the table above may suggest.

That said, that higher price does keep traffic levels a bit lower. With the density of the cities in Europe, and narrower roads, this is of enormous benifit, and of cause the benifit of less pollution as I already mentioned.

Hope on a Vespa, that's perfect for getting around a European city.
Old June 15th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #16
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 8

over here its around a dollar a litre (how many litres to a gallon?)

venezuala is, well, just a bit silly
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #17
JARdan

Do you guys realize the consequences of indiscriminately "cranking up" the price of gas? Yeah, that's lovely that you don't drive vehicles. But, small businesses will be crushed and if gas prices are increased 100% ("$6/gallon"!??!!?) think of how much that is going to increase the cost of consumption goods- businesses won't hesitate to pass on the costs. Our entire economy is dependent on gas.

Say goodbye to cheap everything if you interfere with the market price of gas rather than letting supply and demand take care of it.
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #18
JARdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay Boy
over here its around a dollar a litre (how many litres to a gallon?)

venezuala is, well, just a bit silly
3.785 litres to a U.S gallon.
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #19
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARdan
Do you guys realize the consequences of indiscriminately "cranking up" the price of gas? Yeah, that's lovely that you don't drive vehicles. But, small businesses will be crushed and if gas prices are increased 100% ("$6/gallon"!??!!?) think of how much that is going to increase the cost of consumption goods- businesses won't hesitate to pass on the costs. Our entire economy is dependent on gas.

Say goodbye to cheap everything if you interfere with the market price of gas rather than letting supply and demand take care of it.
who is interfering with the market price? the government is just setting taxes, the companies can sell it at what they want

or do you mean government interference like negotiating with middle-eastern countries and other oil-rich nations to supply cheap oil to you instead of arms and protection?
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #20
Ionizer
BANNED

Ionizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote