daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > City Talk

City Talk Local talk, activities, websites, etc...

View Poll Results: Which area is the worst place to live in the UK?
Easington 1 0.59%
Salford 35 20.71%
Merthyr Tydfil 11 6.51%
Blaenau Gwent 5 2.96%
Mansfield 8 4.73%
Middlesborough 37 21.89%
Hackney 29 17.16%
Strabane 4 2.37%
Nottingham 14 8.28%
Kingston upon Hull 25 14.79%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 10th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #1
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 426

Worst Place to live in the UK

Which area do you think is worst for living?

Sponsored Links

Old August 10th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #2
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 343

i would probably quite agree with most of that but i did not expect nottingham to come 2nd! i didn't realise its crime problem was that big, i thought it was quite a wealthy place.

but i'm supprised stoke isnt on the list. it doent even have a H&M and robbie williams was born there!

My Music

Last edited by future.architect; August 10th, 2005 at 12:12 AM. Reason: correctifying some errors
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:19 AM   #3
kids

Likes (Received): 172

I don't think you could write off the whole of salford, afterall every city has bad areas.

The real salford:

Old August 10th, 2005, 12:29 AM   #4
caw123
Hit the north!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids in the riot
I don't think you could write off the whole of salford, afterall every city has bad areas.

The real salford:

Don't be silly. Only a small selection of Salford looks like that. The rest are average at best semis, and then empty terraces:

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #5
Leeds No.1

Yeah the thing did generalize the cities, which in Salford swung in favour to bad. The Quays were a good point which they brough out, but it is only a small part of Salford and isnt representative of most peoples lives in Salford.
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:51 AM   #6
Pobbie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 21

I've never been to Mansfield, but it just seems depressing (unless someone can show me otherwise). Perhaps it's because I've been to nearby villages such as South Normanton and Creswell. They are absolutely atrocious.
Pobbie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #7
kids

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by caw123
Don't be silly. Only a small selection of Salford looks like that. The rest are average at best semis, and then empty terraces:
there's about the same amount of uber nice areas and uber crap areas. The rest is suburbia, the same as in any other city, not unpleasant.

Plus, those terraces are being demolished. I think the show should have noted that the house prices will rise due to re-generation.
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:16 AM   #8
dgnr8
Mmm, Danone

Likes (Received): 9

Ah come on now, Salford's poor areas are by no means cancelled out by the amount of nice places. Salford's a poor city man. It's horrible but we have to accept it. It's shameful how little money has gone into the areas that really need improving. The same was said of North East Manc until a few years ago when things have started changing. Salford really does need a lot of work, there really is no denying this.
dgnr8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #9
Leeds No.1

You have to remember that it was researched on crime, education, leisure, environment and something else, not on architecture or buildings. Looking at Salford, the crime and education is pretty bad (when compared to the better areas) and the leisure and environment are only relevant to a small area, mainly around the quays.
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:06 AM   #10
kebabmonster

Salford is not as bad as it's made out to be. OK, a lot of the city wouldnt win any prizes in a beauty contest, but quite a lot of the city is suburbia. We even have a country park and farmland within our borders.

The pictures of boarded up terraced houses can be found in any Northern city. Manchester, with the exception of Didsbury, isn't much to shout about either. Granted it has a had a good city centre for the past 15years, but the rest of the city is just as bad, if not worse, than Salford.

That programme was bollocks anyway.
kebabmonster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #11
United-States-of-America
BANNED

At the Irish border, that's where.
United-States-of-America no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #12
Toadboy

Likes (Received): 667

We have a new looney, Welcome NewYorker.

Salford can be pretty grim, I plumped for 'boro though, not suprised to see Hull and Nottingham featuring but am suprised Stoke did get a top 10 place.
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:08 AM   #13
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 32

What's Nottingham doing there, with the trams it looks amazing.

Is it a crime thing or something?
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #14
Zim Flyer
Rock Lord

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadboy
We have a new looney, Welcome NewYorker.

Salford can be pretty grim, I plumped for 'boro though, not suprised to see Hull and Nottingham featuring but am suprised Stoke did get a top 10 place.
Stoke is a dump, but I really like the people and the architecture, if you are into run down victorian factories, industrial canals and coronation street type housing there is alot to see here.
Zim Flyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #15
Madman
London 2012

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim Flyer
What's Nottingham doing there, with the trams it looks amazing.

Is it a crime thing or something?
A serious crime thing, even the chief of the Nottingham Police admitted they hadn't the resources to deal with the problem, one of the reasons i decided to avoid Nottinham Uni despite it having one of the nicest campuses.
Madman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #16
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

LN1, it's MiddlesBROUGH. Lose the extra O please.

Anyways, why no Barrow in Furness? It is without a doubt the most depressing place I've been to in the UK.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #17
Leeds No.1

Well I cant chane it now. Any of the Humber area I find depressing and in the middle of nowhere. I hate York, but its obviosuly not a bad place to live. I do particularly like the south either, too rural away from London.
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #18
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
Any of the Humber area I find depressing and in the middle of nowhere. I hate York, but its obviosuly not a bad place to live. I do particularly like the south either, too rural away from London.
Likewise with Humberside, I lose the will to live after 30 minutes. North Lincolnshire across the Humber Bridge is funny as well, duelling banjos!

You don't like the countryside LN1? Shame on you! Get yourself out to Pateley Bridge, just round the corner from you and one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to, done some awesome mountain bike rides around there.
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #19
Leeds No.1

I quite like the country, but Id go insane living there. I dont often go to Pateley- theres nothing to go for. Its all very nice but theres nothing there. There are some very nice little villages around the area north of Leeds and Bradford, and just to the east of the A1 around the A64 corridor. There would be a much higher quality of life for everyone if everyone lived in really dense cities.
I often go cycling down Nidd Gorge and Knox. Malham is quite nice too. Knaresborough riverside, castle...ect is ok, not so much the high street.
Old August 10th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #20
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
There would be a much higher quality of life for everyone if everyone lived in really dense cities.