daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Old April 13th, 2014, 04:57 AM   #241
Map Born

Likes (Received): 59

Amusing?

https://twitter.com/griffithchad/sta...72608544104448

Quote:
Cr Chad Griffith
‏@griffithchad
This has been the longest farking trip home, it's the stuff nightmares are made of. Never going on a road trip again during school holidays
ETA: he just added 21 seconds ago to clarify, this delay is not on the Hunter Expressway
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 13th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #242
hornetfig

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoshowwithoutPunch View Post
And not just because of mobiles. The standard for urban freeways now seems to be continuous CCTV with response vehicles.
But in the case of the M15, it really is just because of mobiles. However I don't know what the coverage is like in the eastern section through the Sugarloaf range. Probably very bad.

Vodafone used to be funded to cover national highways, but that's likely long gone just as the national highways are gone.

It would still be cheaper to negotiate with the carriers to install mobile base stations than it would be to maintain the road's emergency phone system from now until the end of time.
hornetfig no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 09:59 AM   #243
zoomwhoosh

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornetfig View Post
But in the case of the M15, it really is just because of mobiles. However I don't know what the coverage is like in the eastern section through the Sugarloaf range. Probably very bad.

Vodafone used to be funded to cover national highways, but that's likely long gone just as the national highways are gone.

It would still be cheaper to negotiate with the carriers to install mobile base stations than it would be to maintain the road's emergency phone system from now until the end of time.
I'm on Optus and I was using my smartphone quite happily along the eastern section.
zoomwhoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #244
NoshowwithoutPunch

Quote:

You could probably just stick the circuitry of a mobile in a weatherproof box, connect a solar panel and lock its call function to the control room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NoshowwithoutPunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #245
Map Born

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoshowwithoutPunch View Post
You could probably just stick the circuitry of a mobile in a weatherproof box, connect a solar panel and lock its call function to the control room.

Speaking of control rooms, does every road project need a control room of its own?

Why can't they be centrally operated?
Map Born no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #246
NoshowwithoutPunch

No, just used to them with Citylink, Eastlink, Peninsulalink etc

Old April 14th, 2014, 10:18 AM   #247
hornetfig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Born View Post
Speaking of control rooms, does every road project need a control room of its own?
Usually only if not operated by the state road authority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwhoosh
I'm on Optus and I was using my smartphone quite happily along the eastern section.
good!

Map Born liked this post
Old April 25th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #248
Derek40
Proud NSW Blue

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Born View Post
Some strange decisions though having spent more time on the road, only being able to get onto Allandale-Lovedale Road going northwest, and this road itself can only join heading south.
Getting off at Allandale Road would have been ideal heading south for many in the west Maitland areas, going further on to near Kurri Kurri is not an option.
Derek40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2014, 05:13 AM   #249
NoshowwithoutPunch

I think this thread has served its purpose. Potentially it could be reused for f3 to pacific hwy works, or for the New England hwy generally.

Old April 27th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #250
mandonov

Likes (Received): 28

What about "Hunter Region Roads and Infrastructure Projects"

Derek40 liked this post
mandonov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #251
NoshowwithoutPunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandonov View Post
What about "Hunter Region Roads and Infrastructure Projects"

Yes sounds good

Old May 4th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #252
hornetfig

I went for a drive:

(No musak because musak is overrated)

My observations:

Quote:
* the surface alternates repeatedly between concrete and an open grade asphalt. The concrete has longitudinal grooves. In some cases work has been done to repair the grooves. I don't know what the point of the grooves are - it can't be an anti-icing thing because open grade asphalt is unsuitable if such a thing is a consideration. So maybe it's for noise, or maybe it's for improved water drainage?

* the road kill rate is astonishing. I must have counted 6 - 12 of each of small furry things (which I will assume are possums) and bigger furry things (which I will assume are wallabies) roadside. Plus a kangaroo. I was genuinely shocked. I suppose in time the fauna communities will adapt :-\

* rest areas: there's two pairs of rest areas. The eastern one is very high quality. The western one I think was originally going to be a single side of the road, non-freeway grade type thing? And it got changed later to two of them? Anyway, the western ones do not have freeway grade exits, but they do have reasonable deceleration and acceleration zones; however the curve into the rest area is rated at 15km/h.

* signage at the western end is awful. There's no START/STOP FREEWAY signage, there's no M15/A15 signage, there's no westbound RD sign that says "A15" points out how far Singleton is. The tie-in is so good, and with the Branxton-Singleton dual carriageway being fairly recent I didn't immediately realise I'd come to the end of the project. Eastbound there seems to be confusion about access to Branxton, with access to the Old New England Highway available at Standen Drive and via the western rest area and via the Wine Country Dr interchange. A sign has been added to direct traffic to Branxton to use the middle option; an option which as far as I know wasn't meant to exist (plus it has the 15km/h exit speed problem). The intended route (Wine Country Dr) is marked on fork signage.

marki, mw123, Choko liked this post
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #253
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
I went for a drive:

(No musak because musak is overrated)

My observations:
Damn.. the Hunter Expressway looks great at 436Km/hr

TheLakes liked this post
Old May 5th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #254
hornetfig

closer to 468km/h - let's say cruise control woops?

No police in the medians and there's basically nowhere for them to be anyway.
Old May 5th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #255
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
closer to 468km/h - let's say cruise control woops?

No police in the medians and there's basically nowhere for them to be anyway.
What's amazing is this faster than a high speed train but the Hunter Expressway still makes it look easy, no tight curves.. Maybe we should run a high speed train along it?