SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Suggestions to MMRDA(Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority)

35K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  Pratham Yadav 
#1 ·
Please provide you suggestions in this thread or directly to following address.

Problem/issue statement(in bold) following with different solutions, try to cover in single post so easy to collect/connect to your thoughts/suggestions.

To MODS I dont know it right to create thread for this or not but I liked the suggestion given by Mamaji(P2P4). I think I would collect all the suggestions time to time and email them at least.

See less See more
#2 ·
The infra pundits of Mumbai specially Coolguyz, Indiadreams, skysun, Mamaji(P2P4), MumbaiMMR, devendra, fuwad, savz,India101,Pals_RGB, Abhishek901,akbarsyed, KB335ci2... please provide your suggestions here. Sorry if I missed some of your names here...but dont limit yourself... provide your valuable inputs :)

#3 ·
I really like the intent of this thread. I would suggest that my reply be deleted in order to remove distractions from the (hopefully forthcoming) content of this thread. But, it will be truly wonderful to have a single catalog of all the ideas for the MMRDA that participants on this forum are generating.

#6 ·
First and foremost , I think MMRDA should be the sole authority to carry out infra work in Mumbai and MMR . What we have now is BMC,MSRDC and MMRDA all planning and executing projects in Mumbai without any coordination . All 3 are are planning or building flyovers , sea links , water transport projects , railway projects . Classic examples are the MTHL , Bandra - Versova sea link and the coastal road plan .
The BMC should restrict itself to civic projects including drainage , water supply , power , garbage , education etc .
MSRDC should be dealing with roads and highways falling under the NHAI .

Apart from all this there has to be sub committee on infrastructure comprising of members from all concerned parties including railways to ensure better coordination .

#7 ·
Agree, all the points except BMC part. BMC earns too much and need to spend that amount in civic wards. BMC is richest municipal corporation in Asia. If we believe recent news by BMC that they will concretize all the remaining roads, then most of the issue of bad/potholed road will not be any more.

#8 · (Edited)
BKC-EEH-EFWY Link Road

If they plan to future proof and reduce traffic on EEH.. Should build this link till the Eastern Freeway. Build proper interchanges to ensure smooth traffic. Something like below:

Reason:

• South Mumbai Traffic - can take signal free road to reach in less than hour.
  • Trans Harbour Bridge - Signal free Direct connection from Navi Mumbai Airport, Pune and other cities to BKC, if Trans Harbour Bridge is completed. Will increase the traffic on the Trans Harbour Bridge.
  • Wadala Sewri - will become more attractive for business. Development on Eastern coast. less load on western suburbs, Change in growth pattern with more east west development towards mainland.
  • Western Suburbs road users can head directly to Navi Mumbai without passing Vashi.

#11 · (Edited)
My suggestions -

Metro Network -
1) Plan for extending VAG Metro corridor to Chembur allowing direct connectivity from Navi Mumbai to Central and western lines

2) A new metro line from Thane to Seepz via LBS road -Powai to connect lot of offices on this route. This route can be extended till Kalyan if possible.

3) Go for part elevated part underground for line 2 if funding issues. Allow redevelopment with higher FSIs along elevated/UG routes to arrange funds

4) Most imp start construction for all the above lines and extensions simultaneously

Mono

1) extend mono to connect to any of the line 3 metro stations.

Roads

1) Plan a 10 lane road via dharavi to connect east(LBS) and west(SV or link road) while doing dharavi redevelopment.

2) instead of coastal road or sealinks from NP to Worli plan for 2 broader roads
i) worli to Bhendi bazaar via all the old city areas.
ii) worli to Cuffe parade. Alignment will be parallel to pedder road making it one way.
Both the above roads should use redevelopment to create space on ground or UG whereever its not possible. Though this will be highly costly but it will have multiple entry exit points and solve traffic issues to a great extent.

3) instead of coastal road or sealinks from Bandra to borivilli plan following -
i) broadning link road and connect it directly to bandra with redevelopment, UG and coastal road all 3 options.

Below is just a wish list
1) redevelopment of suburban stations o CR and WR with 2 level platforms to cater to elevated corridor.
2) Plan elevated corridor on central,western and harbour line

#12 · (Edited)
My suggestions -

Metro Network -
1) Plan for extending VAG Metro corridor to Chembur allowing direct connectivity from Navi Mumbai to Central and western lines

2) A new metro line from Thane to Seepz via LBS road -Powai to connect lot of offices on this route. This route can be extended till Kalyan if possible.

I dont really think extending VAG to Chembur or Mankhurd is technically feasible any more .

As for the Thane to Seepz , I had posted a link sometime back from the MMRDA site that they are planning to realign the Thane-Wadala metro along LBS marg and it may be part elevated , part UG . They have already appointed consultants for the study and the report is due by March end .
Below is the link

http://mmrda.maharashtra.gov.in/thane-kasarvadavali-metro#

As of now I feel they should start with the water transport projects at the earliest as they can be up and running in 2 years time .
If possible they should try a few BRTS routes to bring in some relief as all the planned metro routes will take ages to materialise
1 . The first route should be WEH upto BKC . As per the earlier BRTS plans one additional lane was to be added to WEH on either side for the proposed BRTS .
2 . BRTS along SCLR starting from Mankhurd going along GMLR

#15 ·
I may be wrong here so feel free to call me out: I feel that the checkered (yellow and black or white and black) markings on the curbs and the medians aren't standardized. Instead of using all that manpower to paint and then "upkeep" the markings, standard grey paint (cement-only look, a la underbelly of the SEAR) will give it a more modern no-nonsense look. It may just be me but those alternate white and black markings and yellow and black markings just seem to be an eyesore. The same goes for the paint used for flyovers. Seriously, what were they thinking when they picked that blue to grace the Sion flyover?! A basic gray might be boring but that blue?! Seriously?!

#16 ·
Standardise signage for God's sake! Every flyover/expressway/freeway/bridge has a different font, style, and size of signboard.

Lane marking widths in this city are sometimes non-standard; they vary between 2.5m to upto 4m on certain stretches. How hard is it to standardise lane marking widths? Get with the programme dammit.

#18 · (Edited)
What exactly does this regional plan mean? It is bit vague.
From what I read in the previous RP, it is more of a macroscopic long-term plan for the entire MMR for a horizon period of 15-20 years. It basically discusses the strategies to be followed during this period with respect to land use, transportation, infrastructure etc. based on the trends followed in the previous years. For example, setting up of BKC as an alternative commercial complex was a part of the previous RP.

You can check out the previous RP, I have posted a link a few posts back.

#19 ·
Pedestrian POV :-

1) pedestrian walkways (footpaths) need to be cleared off any encroachments.

2) walkways - wherever possible, should be of regulation width.

3) Trees not be planted in the MIDDLE of the pathways.

4) Where paths have to break off for entrances into other estates / societies / standalone buildings, they need to be sloped .

5) Strongly suggesting STANDARDISATION of foothpath heights. They vary from area to area, district to district.

6) Paver block setting - proper setting procedures be followed. Base ballast for the blocks currently using loose soil instead of ballast sand.

7) Paver blocks not sealed

8) Soil runoff from paver blocked pavements a major cause of dust/grime

These are just some of the points . I think we all should document areas of improvement in a presentable pdf file .

This will be necessary if we are goign to have any credibility with MMRDA as a SERIOUS ONLINE forum

#20 ·
The only solution to this paver block problem is to not have them . The BMC had drafted a plan for having underground ducts for utilities some time back . Don't know how far that has materialised . Once that his done the sides of the roads where they started putting paver blocks can be asphalted like before . Wonder who advised them to go for this paver block option . We never had them before 2000

#21 ·
Suggestions...

Road Maintenance

1. All Roads in Mumbai to be painted with lane markings. (this will allow vehicles to observe lane discipline)
2. All Traffic signals, pedestrian crossing points to be marked with Zebra Crossings
3. Installation of cameras on major signals and ticketing vehicles who cross red lights

Vehicle Parking sites
1. Make parking sites for cars, bikes in public places
2. Install parking meters for vehicles parked in public places
3. Make separate parking sites for big vehicles like trucks and buses.

#22 ·
1. Get Nariman Project redevelopment on track and aim for big buildings to add show to the lime light of the city. It always about glitters in this world.

2. Get BRTS on for JVLR and SCLR, this will save us from cost of metro

3. Get a new Industrial and/or Business district near the new airport(Navi Mumbai) and Virar-Vasai as well, Uran needs to be acquired to be developed.

#24 ·
Business Districts:

Plan peripheral business districts (may be for IT/ITES, logistcis etc) in Vasai-Virar, Kalyan and Panvel.

Reason: Greater Mumbai is already established and the market will develop the business districts within Greater Mumbai on its own. Greater Mumbai is mainly for high end services - finance, consulting, large conglomerates etc.- which could afford high rentals. The peripheral business districts are necessary for Mumbai to remain competitive especially in segments such as IT/ITES/ KPO, Logistics etc. which are highly cost-sensitive. These industries don't interact a lot and hence may not require a central location.

Mono: Only within Greater Mumbai; soemone else can give plans outside Greater Mumbai)

Build a mono-line between Marve (Malad -West ) to Goregaon East- Film city. This line can take Malad-Marve road from Marve till SV Road and turn south on SV Raod till Goregaon E-W bridge and turn east to go up to the end of Goregaon-E through WEH and Dindoshi.

Reason:
E-W connection in this part of city is likely to be short and metro will be an overkill. Nevertheless, E-W connection is very critical and monorail will be suffcient.

BRTS:

No BRTS within Greater Mumbai except EEH. Greater Mumbai is not the right place for a system like BRTS which has a low capacity (a maximum of 10000 peak hour peak direction capacity) and requires large space. But, it can be very well tried outside Greater Mumbai. A route with low traffic density in Greater Mumbai should be tried with monorail, not BRTS. WEH, SCLR and JVLR needs metro /mono.

Will write a separate post for metro

#25 ·
I think with both the Elevated corridors in doldrums they should replan them to have a ring railway between Bandra Kurla Panvel Diva and Vasai . The line should be underground between Kurla and Andheri . It could be the same gauge as the suburban network so that tracks could serve the existing network as well as the new line . The stations in the new line should be segregated and should be completely access controlled .
Apart from this CR should start work asap on the 5th and 6 the lines between Parel and Kurla along with the Patel terminus .
They had planned to take the Harbour line elevated from Chunabhatti to Tilaknagar to facilitate the 2 additional lines on CR .
This new ring railway should have interchangeability with the Colaba Seepz metro at BKC .
Apart from this I feel they should start the Wadala Thane metro from BKC instead of Wadala .
For people who want to travel further up to the townside , they can use Metro line 3 .

If they can do this Metro line 2 can start from Bandra instead of Mankhurd .

#27 · (Edited)
I will propose slightly short route for metro ring route instead of suburban.

Metro
1) I think Metro Line 2 can be modified as ring route -Mankhurd - Kurla - Bandra -Borivilli(between Bandra and Borivilli alignment same as line 2)- Thane.
This will give shorter route to Navi Mumbai from Western suburbs as from Thane they can take Transharbour route).

2) This is in addition to extending VAG till Chembur as there will be many from Navi Mumbai wanting to come directly to Andheri and seepz.

Panvel-Diva- Vasai line will be taken care by suburban

Mono
3) Also As Indiadreams said Mono is needed between Malad W and Goregaon E
4) Current Mono Needs to be extended to connect Line 3 Of Metro.

Roads
Mentioned in my previous post

Parks
1) Plan a entertainment zone with a big park and some roller coasters and other entertainment option near array coloney and some part of national park near it
2) Plan a park in mahalaxmi race course

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.