Status
Not open for further replies.

GORAI | Global Vipassana Pagoda | 96 m | Completed

124K views 152 replies 51 participants last post by  oliverd7 
#1 · (Edited)
X-posted from my thread in the international forum

==========================================================

Global Vipassana Pagoda -- Dharavi Island, Gorai, Mumbai

Since I'm lazy, I'll just let wikipedia do most of the work explaining the background to this wonderful project that breaks all sorts of records: the largest stupa, largest manmade dome, and largest rock cave in the world:

The Global Pagoda is a monument being built as part of the Esselworld Amusement Park on Dharavi Island near the city of Bombay, India. The Global Pagoda is being built by Satyanarayan Goenka, leader of a New Age, neo-Buddhist sect, although Mr. Goenka himself remains a Hindu. Its traditional Burmese design is an expression of gratitude towards the country of Myanmar for preserving the practice of Vipassana.

It is being built combining ancient Indian and modern technology to enable it to last for at least 2000 years. The center of the Global Pagoda contains the world's largest stone dome built without any supporting pillars. The planned height of the building is 96.12 meters, which is twice the size of the previously largest hollow stone monument in the world, the Gol Gumbaz Dome in Bijapur, India.[1]

The inside of the pagoda is hollow and serves as a very large meditation hall with an area covering more than 6000 m2 (65,000 ft2). The massive inner dome seats over 8000 people enabling them to practice the non-sectarian Vipassana meditation as taught by Mr S.N. Goenka and now widely being practiced in over 100 countries, including in many prisons such as Asia's largest prison, Tihar Jail, New Delhi, India.

Relics of Gautama the Buddha, purportedly genuine, were enshrined in the central locking stone of the dome on October 29, 2006, making it the world's largest structure containing the bone relics of the Buddha.

The aim of the pagoda complex is, among others, to express gratitude to Gautama Buddha for dispensing for what followers believe is a universal teaching for the eradication of suffering, to educate the public about the life and teaching of the Buddha, and to provide a place for the practice of meditation.

The Global Pagoda complex is still under construction with plans to include a museum depicting the life and teaching of Gautama Buddha that is expected to draw hundreds of thousands of visitors annually. The Global Pagoda's educational displays will communicate the Buddha's universal teaching as a path towards real happiness.

The height of the pagoda will be 96.12m, to put that in perspective, that's nearly the height of a 30-storey building!

Here's an article explaining about the project:

State-of-the-art pagoda in city
Monument set to become one of country’s major tourist attractions

Mumbai, October 12: The work for the World Vipassana Foundation’s pagoda, a replica of Myanmar’s Shwedagon pagoda, is in full swing. It will be completed by December next year. The pagoda, a dream project of S N Goyanka, who has taught vipassana to thousands of people in India and other countries, is situated near Gorai’s Essel World area.

The ceremony of placing sacred relics of Gautam Buddha in pagoda will be done by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on October 29. This unique pagoda will be about 325 feet high.

The Maha Bodhi Association of India has donated sacred relics of Gautam Buddha to be enshrined in the pagoda. Buddhists in Myanmar have also donated materials for the pagoda. It includes 850 marble rocks with the size of one cubic meter each for flooring the pagoda compound; 150,000 square feet of parquet for laying the floor of the cave; timber for crafting Myanmar decorations and 90 door frames; the sacred gold umbrella; stone Buddha statues including 28 2.5 feet high vipassana-practising Buddha statues in various mudras (postures); 18-feet high Buddha statue in sitting position; eight 5.5-feet high standing Buddha statues and donations totaling to $23 million will be spent in building this pagoda. The pagoda will contain a 280-feet diameter cave with no supporting columns. It will be the largest rock cave in the world. Unlike other pagodas, it will not be a solid brick structure, but with a spacious cave in which thousands of yogis can practice vipassana at the same time.

According to the World Vipassana Foundation, the pagoda will be a vehicle for the spread of Buddha’s teachings that emphatically opposes any sectarian, casteism and religious dogmas. His teachings have already proved to be an ideal bridge for peace, tolerance and harmony across all the communal and regional divides splintering India today.

The strongly secular nature of vipassana is further proved by its acceptance amongst people of all religions, nations, sects and socio-cultural backgrounds. Vipassana courses are taking root in even some of the staunchly sectarian countries. This monument will be an added focus of attraction to visitors and tourists worldwide, who visit our ancient country for its rich cultural traditions and its magnificent knowledge in the spiritual field. The sheer size, grandeur and architectural style of the pagoda itself will be sufficient to gain its entry into tourist maps. Even the tourists, who visit the pagoda, as merely another monument for sight seeing, will get great opportunity to receive the true teachings of the enlightened one, understand their benefits and may be inspired to follow the practical path of vipassana.
--------==--=--==---------

Renderings of the pagoda:

--------==--=--==---------

Construction progress:

First, some construction views from Google Earth:

Some construction photos from last year Ray Tomes @ flickr:

^ A smaller pagoda at the entrance to the complex

From zphoto @ flickr:

Before the dome was enclosed...

After...

Heading inside the stupa:

Some of the marble and gold inlaid murals that will adorn the walls of the structure...

Some of the large, colorful paintings that will also go on the walls...

Cheers,
Jai

See less See more
#60 ·
the pagoda was inaugurated in a high profile ceremony in Gorai today where the guests included the Hon. President of India Pratibha Patil, sharad pawar, robert and priyanka vadera, chhagan bhujbal, subhas chandra of Zee Tv etc. i was there on official duty and took a few snaps with my mobile. didnt carry my digicam as i wasnt sure abt the security protocol (although quite a number of others had carried their digicams along with them.) will upload the pics later this evening.

#65 ·
some tidbits

1. the ashoka chakra at the vertex of the larger dome itself is more than 10 feet in diameter, this will give u a rough idea of the size of the larger dome

2. the diameter of the dome was 280 feet (85 meters). for every note played by the orchestra (police band playing the national anthem), we could hear a echo from the opposite wall after half a second. (sound travels at 330 m/sec)

#74 ·
The Business of Peace

Any new development attracts favourable and unfavourable attention. But one needs to see whom and why is it favouring. Most often it is seen that the poor are expected to sacrifice their land, livelihood, homes in the name of development of the society at large. However, exceptions are made for the rich and exemptions given while the poor remain deprived of even the basic privilege.
The Pagoda at Gorai is an architectural marvel and no one can deny this fact. I feel proud of this structural wonder myself. But is it all that it takes to excite us. It is a well established fact that the Pagoda no matter how good the intention of building it, is by the law of our land 'ILLEGAL'. And the law is the same for the rich and the poor. I can't imagine that the President of our country came to inaugrate this landmark. Where is the sense of morality?
If this land could be used by the rich then why were the masses, the poor stopped from constructing their houses on it by imposing CRZ norms? This clearly smells of political alignment and approving of Capitalist free will.
Does the management and owners of this Global Pagoda want us to believe that they have constructed this religious site to initiate and encourage Peace in the world? Why did they have to built it in the vicinity of a tourist SEZ (which also has a controversy of its own). Of course they mean business and this form of business is called Religious Tourism. A form of Tourism that generates the highest revenue in a religious country like India. This is well planned to accomodate the faith principles of every religion. Higher the number of people visiting, higher the revenue (donations) generated.
For the middleclass the standard/class of their locality has gone up because there is a site of such importance in their area. But what about the damned poor regardless of which religion they belong to? How many jobs have been created for them because of this venture? And what type of jobs? Will they be made sweepers, made to clean toilets ultimately? Is the revenue generated used for the infrastructural development of the locals? I don't think so and a case to point is a very recent one of a baby falling off a mother's hands when travelling in a rickshaw because of the bad condition of the road leading to the villages in Gorai. The locals had been agitating for years for atleast decent roads but their protest fell on deaf ears of the administration who were more than willing to lay new road to the pagoda because the President was coming to inaugrate the structure. Why do you not think the locals will feel unwanted and left out in the development of their land they have been living for generations?

It is easy appreciate the photographs but more difficult to accept the real picture. Remove the lense from the camera of your conscience and face the truth. I SUPPORT PEACE BUT NOT THE BUSINESS OF PEACE.

#75 ·
Any new development attracts favourable and unfavourable attention. But one needs to see whom and why is it favouring. Most often it is seen that the poor are expected to sacrifice their land, livelihood, homes in the name of development of the society at large. However, exceptions are made for the rich and exemptions given while the poor remain deprived of even the basic privilege.
The Pagoda at Gorai is an architectural marvel and no one can deny this fact. I feel proud of this structural wonder myself. But is it all that it takes to excite us. It is a well established fact that the Pagoda no matter how good the intention of building it, is by the law of our land 'ILLEGAL'. And the law is the same for the rich and the poor. I can't imagine that the President of our country came to inaugrate this landmark. Where is the sense of morality?
If this land could be used by the rich then why were the masses, the poor stopped from constructing their houses on it by imposing CRZ norms? This clearly smells of political alignment and approving of Capitalist free will.
Does the management and owners of this Global Pagoda want us to believe that they have constructed this religious site to initiate and encourage Peace in the world? Why did they have to built it in the vicinity of a tourist SEZ (which also has a controversy of its own). Of course they mean business and this form of business is called Religious Tourism. A form of Tourism that generates the highest revenue in a religious country like India. This is well planned to accomodate the faith principles of every religion. Higher the number of people visiting, higher the revenue (donations) generated.
For the middleclass the standard/class of their locality has gone up because there is a site of such importance in their area. But what about the damned poor regardless of which religion they belong to? How many jobs have been created for them because of this venture? And what type of jobs? Will they be made sweepers, made to clean toilets ultimately? Is the revenue generated used for the infrastructural development of the locals? I don't think so and a case to point is a very recent one of a baby falling off a mother's hands when travelling in a rickshaw because of the bad condition of the road leading to the villages in Gorai. The locals had been agitating for years for atleast decent roads but their protest fell on deaf ears of the administration who were more than willing to lay new road to the pagoda because the President was coming to inaugrate the structure. Why do you not think the locals will feel unwanted and left out in the development of their land they have been living for generations?

It is easy appreciate the photographs but more difficult to accept the real picture. Remove the lense from the camera of your conscience and face the truth. I SUPPORT PEACE BUT NOT THE BUSINESS OF PEACE.
1) First of all let the courts decide whether it is illegal or legal. And if it is illegal what needs to be done with it.

There have been many conflicting news reports. One of the articles also alleges this

The pagoda's launch has drawn its share of motivated controversy with Edwin Britto, a self-appointed busybody, alleging violations of "various laws and acts of the land", including the coastal regulatory zone (CRZ). A routine check with the authorities shows all requisite permission has been obtained and no laws have been violated.
So the best thing for detractors of this project is go to the courts and get justice.

Let this not turn out like the Nano fiasco, where the courts ruled that land acquistion was legal and the so called pro poor activists continued their politics of violence to throw out the Tatas (now what? all the poor farmers are left poorer and the so called pro poor activists have gone on to newer pastures trying to stop other "capitalist" projects in the name of poverty and environment).

2) The 11 acres of land was donated by a big time capitalist. If anyone else is claiming ownership of the land, then they should challenge it in the courts.

3) What's wrong with religious tourism? As long as the people who run this centre don't catch hold of people and force them to convert to their religion or teachings, it is fine.

4) The fact that the local adminstration is useless (as they usually are all across India), is a separate issue. If they cannot build proper roads (tell me a local administration in India which can build a proper footpath), then it is not the fault of the Global Pagoda.

5) And what about the poor? Did the project promise to uplift the poor or employ them in any written undertaking? There is no law that enforces social responsibilty on such ventures. Social responsibilty is voluntary. The question as to how will the poor benefit is a question that the government needs to answer.

6) If the locals are feeling left out, they also need to ask the question as to whether they are creating barriers around themselves by claiming to be the original people and others as outsiders. Or is it just a bogey that is being raised by "activists" to get support for their personal or political motivations?

7) As far as the "poor" being not allowed to build houses because of CRZ, it would be good to see some concrete examples of such denials.

#78 ·
YOU KNEW THIS WAS COMING

It seems to me that my short write up has ruffled a few feathers. I would be glad if a few more would be ruffled and then we can say that the party has begun. Well that is what truth does. No matter how much one tries to shove it under the carpet it rises like a towering phoenix. But it will be easy to accept it if you give up your biases and get in touch with reality. My write up was all but based on the truth and there is nothing neither irrational nor sentimental about it. You can check each one of them. I would reply to the points raised by Suncity, merely for the reason that he seemed to have taken a lot of time to at least express him/her self decently.

1) First of all let the courts decide whether it is illegal or legal…………..
If you are open to the facts then read a studied article by Priya Shah at this link: http://www.priyashah.com/crz.htm
This will give you an idea how the government which is supposed to implement the laws, are in connivance with those who break the law.
Not all truth is found only in the courts of justice. There is truth even outside those corridors which can be seen with bare eyes. Values whether they are peace, truth, justice are to be practiced first before they epitomized in illegal structures for business purposes.

2) The 11 acres of land was donated by a big time capitalist. If anyone else is claiming ownership of the land, then they should challenge it in the courts.
I never questioned the ownership of the land. I was questioning the use that has been permitted of the land. In the courts one needs good, expensive lawyers, which only the rich capitalist can afford.

3) What's wrong with religious tourism? As long as the people who run this centre don't catch hold of people and force them to convert to their religion or teachings, it is fine.
Religion concerns faith – an affective element of any human being. Tourism concerns business. Religious Tourism is a business of faith……..and as mentioned a business of peace as is the case of the Gorai Pagoda. Of course, I would like to experience and encourage the promotion of peace through Vipasana. But why use illegal means? The end does not justify the means.

4) The fact that the local adminstration is useless (as they usually are all across India), is a separate issue. If they cannot build proper roads (tell me a local administration in India which can build a proper footpath), then it is not the fault of the Global Pagoda.
I did not speak of the local administration. I spoke of the government. After all both have the same government. The bias against the locals and the red carpet for the capitalist is what I oppose. Building of proper roads is the prerogative of the government. Roads just like water, electricity are not luxuries but essentials. Is the government even incapable of providing the basic necessities of the poor, while acts with lightning efficiency to pamper capitalist demands.

5) And what about the poor? Did the project promise to uplift the poor or employ them in any written undertaking? There is no law that enforces social responsibilty on such ventures. Social responsibilty is voluntary. The question as to how will the poor benefit is a question that the government needs to answer.
Ventures such as these thrive on the resources that would have been used otherwise by the locals. Ventures such as these are aimed to boost the real estate demand in the area. All corporates have a social responsibility because they survive because of the society. When they become irresponsible then we see incidents like the recession we are facing in our times, like the case of Satyam Computers. ‘Social Responsibility’ is not voluntary, but as the term indicates ‘a responsibility’ and responsibilities are never voluntary.

6) If the locals are feeling left out, they also need to ask the question as to whether they are creating barriers around themselves by claiming to be the original people and others as outsiders. Or is it just a bogey that is being raised by "activists" to get support for their personal or political motivations?
Is it the locals who are creating the barriers or is the corporates who would not like to see the strategic involvement of the locals? No one can deny the fact that the locals were, are and will be the originals of the lands. They would of course feel that they have got a raw deal if they do not see benefits of the development in their locality coming their way. Political motivations can be tamed if concrete developmental steps are taken to benefit the common people.

7) As far as the "poor" being not allowed to build houses because of CRZ, it would be good to see some concrete examples of such denials.
Are you suggesting that there were structures on the land on which the pagoda is built and that these structures (if there were) were declared authorized by the respective authorities? The pagoda is announced and proclaimed as legally authorized, but as per CRZ norms even an idiot would know that the rules have been bent to suit the pockets of many. Couldn’t the owners find one site on which the structure could be built without breaking any rules, since it is being built for a higher cause? To check one the rules with regards to the latest CRZ, check the following link:
http://www.nls.ac.in/CEERA/ceerafeb04/html/documents/coastalupto2001.htm

All this is hard to accept but stretch your research a little bit further and you will find that facts speak for themselves. You might feel that I support the ‘Son of Soil’ agenda but I don’t. You might think that I support ‘Communalism’ but I don’t. You might wonder if I am a ‘Politician’ but I am not. You might assume that I am a ‘Local’ but I am not. I am a citizen of this great country of ours, and my viewpoint is from a neutral perspective. Take it or leave it. But I can never find peace at the pagoda which has been laid on the foundations of CORRUPTION.

#81 ·
It seems to me that my short write up has ruffled a few feathers. I would be glad if a few more would be ruffled and then we can say that the party has begun. Well that is what truth does. No matter how much one tries to shove it under the carpet it rises like a towering phoenix. But it will be easy to accept it if you give up your biases and get in touch with reality. My write up was all but based on the truth and there is nothing neither irrational nor sentimental about it. You can check each one of them. I would reply to the points raised by Suncity, merely for the reason that he seemed to have taken a lot of time to at least express him/her self decently..................
You are most welcome to your view points. I have my own views. At least I am honest enough to say they are my own views - whether they are wrong or right, rational or irrational. Everybody is entitled to think that they are on the side of truth. You are welcome to agree or disagree with my views.

#79 ·
You know what your problem is? - you are barking up the wrong tree.

You cannot go to a pav bhaji stall and ask for pani puri.

We are contributors in a forum (called skyscrapercity by the way if you didnt notice) who appreciate the architectural wonders of new constructions. It is not our job to check the legal antecedents of anything.

And it is our right to enjoy such architecture - we are not compelled to stop discussing a project.

And, if people are unhappy with the govt, go change the govt - dont shout as us as if we are responsible for building the pagoda.

#80 ·
But what about the damned poor regardless of which religion they belong to? How many jobs have been created for them because of this venture? And what type of jobs? Will they be made sweepers, made to clean toilets ultimately?
This is what i hate the most about you btw - not what you were fighting for.

You just have no dignity of labor - are sweepers and toilet cleaners not human beings?

#85 ·
Ok, 'I heared you'
Who donated the land?
And was he/she a vipassana meditator?.
The rules of the organisation only accept donations from people who have attended meditation courses.
Illegal?
I know not the ins and outs of thos case. Buy my guess is that it has now been deemed illegal becuase someone has not been paid off.
The organisation does not pay bribes.
Religious tourism?
Oh dear.
I think you should do a little bit more research.
It is built as a meditation centre.It has 100's of cells that vipassana meditatiors can use.
Its not a buisness or job creation scheme.
Rich or poor everyone is welcomed to attend a meditation course.
It is BY DONATION ONLY.
My self and many others have attented courses and on occasion, not paid an anna.
I suggest you do some practical resarch.
Apply to do a ten day retreat at the vippassana centre nearest to you.there are many centres all over India
Not for the faint hearted, its good stuff mate.
eeeh oop
D

#88 ·
thanks. it is slow going. there are very few people working at the site that i saw. also the centre has begun. so maybe that is why it is 'quiet'. i don't think they will be painting the stones, but that is just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.