SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mumbai - Next 10 Years

180K views 379 replies 98 participants last post by  Pratham Yadav 
#1 ·
Hi Friends,

I am starting a thread to visualize what Mumbai would be like to stay in the next 10 years.
You are free to provide your views on following areas or more as you think of:

1. Transportation (BEST Bus service, Trains, Metro, Monorail)

2. Malls and Hyper malls

3. Entertainment Zones (for Kids and adults)

4. Foreign Brands (KFC< MCDOnalds, papaJohns, Debenhems, Walmart,Tesco)

5. Parks/Gardens

6. Quality of Highways / Roads

#2 ·
Want to be optimistic but...

:eek:hno::bash:

What with the bandra worli sealink, mumbai metro phase 1 and brts taking forever and shelving of the metro phase 3 (Colaba to Bandra) it looks like mumbai wont change much at least as far as the infrastructure is concerned, it is indeed a shame since places like Hong Kong, shanghai, kuala lumpur and Singapore change so much in just over 2-3 years, a whole metro line from one end of the town to the other (over 70 kms) is laid down in Hong Kong in just over 2 years, likewise a ring route linking all the metros is laid down in Singapore in just over 2 years and here we have a metro route in phase 1 that is taking forever, why even our delhi metro is far better, so I dont hold out much hope for mumbai, as a matter of fact as someone had mentioned Mumbai may soon loose out to more illustrious and fast moving cities in India such as Delhi, CHennai, Hyderabad, Pune, etc.

Only hope that those responsible for these mega projects understand this and take steps to rectify this before it is too late beacuse with the way the buildings are coming up in Mumbai, if infrastructure does not catch up, it would spell doom for the city.

PLEASE WAKE UP AND TAKE ACTION:eek:hno:

#3 ·
I think all the BEST Bus service, Trains, Metro, Monorail will be full of A/C

Mumbai will be full of mall. I think there will be nothing call as small retail store. 25 retails shops will be demoilished and malls will be build. and in that also there will be compition like which developers is coming up with the biggest mall eg Dahisar MALL

entertainment zones - aaaaaaaaaaaaa... no idea but yes it will increase as compare to today.

India will be full of foreign brand only. no vada-pav only burger

Very few parks and gardens. which will be very difficult to find out.

Roads will be of definately of good quality. No holes on roads will be there during rainy seasons.

#4 ·
Mumbai is a megacity and deserves a lot , however my expectations remain modest for any Indian city given the progress I have been bought up with.

1.) A comprehensive drainage system , no more flooding due to excessive rain - If the dutch can do , so can we. Mumbai is not a village for hevans sake , this would be a first basic priority.

2.) No slums - While I understand that these are homes for many of the poor but it's ridiculous that there exists stuff like Slum Rehab Prog. which have done nothing , slums in central mumbai are a blot on India's commercial capital and people living in these are unsafe too.

3.) More green cover - If Delhi can improve it's green cover , it's hardly difficult for mumbai.

4.)Envt. friendly sky scrapers - Every building coming up is adding heat to it's surroundings , a majestic skyline with a envt. friendly structure , is ti too much to ask ?

#5 ·
1. Transportation buses will be modernised, there will be Airconditioned buses.

2. Not sure about trains though. Ofcourse Metro and Monorails would be Airconditioned.

3. Technology as compared to developed nations would be also available.
Like ticket vending machines at all stations, internet wi-fi available at malls and open parks.

4. Civic sense will not improve. People will still defecate in open places.
some people will still spit on the roads.

5. Hygiene standards will still be low. Road side food will be available (like Bhelpuri and Sevpuri, vada-pav), people will be selling stuff without wearing hand gloves.

6. ROads will improve tremendously, the Highways, mumbai, thane roads should not have much pot-holes.
But, but but....traffic rules will not be followed much..(such as today).
Drivers would still Honk without any reason (such as standing on the Red lights)

#6 ·
The reason people in India dont respect the sanctity of public places is largely because the economic divide between the rich and the poor. Until the poor and rural areas are drawn a share in Indias prosperity, they wont give a f*** about rich peoples playgrounds aka the city. Indias problems are deep rooted and until changes occur at the grass root level, nothing is going to change.

#8 ·
Suburb and South Mumbai / Divide

I am a suburban resident, that too in the far outskirts of mumbai (in mira road)..

There is a vast divide betwen suburb and south mumbai (forget about rich and poor).

South mumbai gets municipal water (24/7), good roads, train frequency is far better, BEST transportation etc..

where as suburb has less facilities like BEST buses are less, trains (all know this, virar trains are so crowded), Toll (1000rs. permonth)...whereas the flyovers are being used by those in mumbai.

hmm...kucch socha padega...

#10 ·
I don't think Mumbai will improve in the next 10 years unless major infrastructural reforms are put in place:

More rail-based mass transit options. Our commuter rail service is pushed to the edge and cannot be improved upon unless the load is diverted from it. We need:
- a cohesive network of integrated light rail systems such as elevated transit and an effective tram-based system
- the completion of an effective metro rail network
- opening up the commuter rail system to competition, as seen in the Tokyo Rail system.
- an emphasis on mass transit and a greater investment in buses in an attempt to take away the 'poor man's' stigma attached to mass transit

There's a lot more than this, but I'm sleepy.

#14 ·
I heard that the F1 race is being hosted in outskirts of delhi, Vijay mallya has puchased some land (Faridabad or gaziabad or gurgaon)...

so does that mean these small cities will also get best of infrastructure.

The only way for mumbai to improve and get more grants is to host the 2020 Olympic games (Just kidding, i think by then atleast some progress would be made)

#19 ·
the metro or the suburban rail system? i'd take the WR and CR for now, the delhi metro is not in the same league. maybe the metro will be better in 25-30 years. who knows how big bombay's own metro will be by then

delhi gets these central government sponsored infra boosts every 20 years or so. asiad, commonwealth, etc. the rush for infra may not be the same post-2010. unless the GoI bids delhi for the olympics of course

#20 · (Edited)
Wait a min i think im a bit lost..
Are u saying that the delhi metro system is not as good as bombays sub rail network?
Or the other way round?
Re reading the last few post i think i might be coming from the upside down angle...
So to clarify....Delhis ahead in ... parks , road.And the metro.
Oh & you can get a better Rajma there.
Probably...

#26 ·
Can you be more detailed....

I agree Delhi is much much more greener and cleaner...its hosting the Commonwealth games in 2010, so there is govt. support...

Mumbai really needs 4 roads connecting east-west and atleast 2 ring roads accross the city. (As said by Hafeez contractor)

#30 ·
about Clealiness....

Having browsed thru all cities in this forum...i have come to the conclusion that Mumbai is by far the dirtest city so far....as compared to
Delhi, Noida, Gurgaon, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Cochin, Pune, Nagpur..

you can see these cities roads, lane markings, signals....there is no trace of garbage, people spitting pan or potholes...

I think Mumbai will have to work hard for keeping pace with these cities...

#31 ·
Only way Bombay will advance is simple one:

Carve Bombay out of Maharashtra & make it s UNION TERRITORY asap.

Center should fund Bombay directly without any true budget limitations & lots of tax breaks for infra. In other words, make Bombay entreprenuership friendly & business friendly city.

Delhi's development model MUST be applied to Bombay asap.

This way you'll actually see Bombay advancing. Bombay needs to be juggled out of Thakarays & his seniks thugs forever. These goons are opportunistic parasites deliberately ruiing the city for vote bank politics.

#32 ·
that's actually a good idea, i can't believe nobody has thought about this before. it makes so much sense to put india's largest, most important city under direct federal control. maharashtra doesn't desperately need mumbai anyway, it has nagpur and pune and at least one SEZ planned in every single district.

#35 ·
Any chance of that happening realistically , I'm sure Maharashtra state will have a lot of objection to any such move.
Screw objections mate. imprison everyone who stands against "Bombay the union territory". If they do, they are playing vote bank politics. Seniks or any other gov't, they're all incompetent illiterates thugs. They have no clue how a city of 17+ million works, survives, functions & runs day to day activity. A heavy monsoon & gov't literally takes a dump in its pants.

Bombays future should be in the hands of Tatas, Birlas, Premjis, Ambanis :)nuts: ah maybe not so much), Hafeez contractors & any IIT grad, civil engineers who are go getters & visionaries. For this to happen & them to have any power & will to get it done, Bombay as a UNION TERRITORY is a must where they directly deals with center to squeeze out every last fund available.

Now on to the Thakareys & Seniks. These goons are no less than D-companys & Bhais. only difference is they try to ruin Bombay from Dubai whereas beloved Seniks ruin it from Sena bhavan. One is already kicked out, the other needs to be kicked out ASAP.

Then vision Bombay-2018 or even 2020 will be a success in a true sense. Believe me, Bombay's grassroot problem is not environmentalist, its these "F"'ed up Gov't of Maharashtra & their thugs.

#36 ·
yes , yes they are thugs - all these sainiks etc are communal people who won't let mumbai grow in a planned manner but when they even smell the small matter of a UT creation and the cash cow of the state move away they will use all sorts of dirty tactics and mumbai has no where to run since it has Maharashtra on 3 sides and the sea on the other , so these thugs will always have a strangle hold . A more fool proof plan is needed to keep their politics away from the economic capital.

It's sometimes quite a pain why we are democratic - it'll be great to have all these parties banned.

Back to the topic now though and the future of mumbai in next 10 years largely rests on it's cessation from dirty politics and maintaining of communal harmony

#38 ·
Mumbai will only change when the goverance changes.

The PM stated this when he last visited Mumbai.

So making it a Union Territory is a good idea and one that would get immediate results but this is very politically sensitive.

The CM should concentrate on the State and give more power to the Mayor of Mumbai like London, New York, Beijing have done.

Mumbai needs better public transport, better roads, civic amenities & civic sense, recreation & parks, cleaner air, lower & middle income housing, swerage, drainage and water treatment, beautification. Its ground level development which will define MUmbai and not fancy skycrapers even if it makes a impressive skyline.

Hoping that Mumbai is not the same in 10yrs as it is now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.