SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mumbai - Next 10 Years

180K views 379 replies 98 participants last post by  Pratham Yadav 
#1 ·
Hi Friends,

I am starting a thread to visualize what Mumbai would be like to stay in the next 10 years.
You are free to provide your views on following areas or more as you think of:

1. Transportation (BEST Bus service, Trains, Metro, Monorail)

2. Malls and Hyper malls

3. Entertainment Zones (for Kids and adults)

4. Foreign Brands (KFC< MCDOnalds, papaJohns, Debenhems, Walmart,Tesco)

5. Parks/Gardens

6. Quality of Highways / Roads

#129 ·
I would love when the government forms a driving school system and have a drivers' ed program with written and a behind-the-wheel exam.

In the next 10 years, a lot is to be asked, but doing it is also a question. As we know the status of BWSL and it's new connecting link, I would probably think Mumbai will develop around 5% infrastructure wise. Hopefully the link road's constructions will be over by them and I am hoping it does not meet with the same fate as the Kandivali flyover. Yes, Mumbai will probably generate two top-order batsmen in the Indian cricket team, 4 all rounders in the IPL, 50 new celebrities, and a cool looking airport.

The airport area will look marvelous in the next 10 years. South Bombay will see a rise in the number of skyscrapers. But road conditions will still remain pathetic in the burbs. Traffic will worsen and will be a mess. Mumbai metro might have been struggling to get the second line completed.

Education wise: Mumbai will generate a lot of scholars and the colleges' cut-off list will probably be around 92%. Hopefully the education system changes because we are seeing a tremendous increase in population and if proper education system is not in place, where will the students go to study? Hopefully within the next 10 years, the state government abolishes the quota system so that the deserving can succeed. Politics is totally out of question. The thing that hasn't changed for the last 6 decades, how can we expect it to change in 10 years?

#130 ·
Hopefully within the next 10 years, the state government abolishes the quota system so that the deserving can succeed. Politics is totally out of question. The thing that hasn't changed for the last 6 decades, how can we expect it to change in 10 years?
^^ Fair evaluation. However you are contradicting yourself about the quote I posted here. As you said the politics has not changed in the last 6 decades and we should not expect it to change in the next 10 years, then how do we expect the state government to abolish the quota system? I hope I am wrong. I would love to see the quota system go.

#131 ·
Like China, India is also growing day by day by economy and technology wise.

Mumbai, the big city of India with great population has many problems.

Indian government is focusing to modernize the Mumbai city, but it requires much time to change over all infrastructure of this city.

I am agree with dreadathecontrols, he is right. 10 years are not enough time to change the Mumbai.

#132 ·
Mumbai is a great city and it is at par with the per capita income of our country .................but India is not just another country.............it needs world class infrastructure to accelerate its growth..............China's GDP per capita is only 2.5times of India but it has an infrastruture at par with US cities with per capita income 12.5times that of India.............when China had per capita income less than or rqual to India i.e. early 90s...........it infrastructure was going through a REAL boom ..given below are the pics of Shanghai in early 90s....

at that time the infrastructure of Shanghai was not only better than that of Mumbai but was also increasing at a rapid pace....much faster than Mumbai is increasing now...........

Then where is the problem...................who is the culprit........well the
culprits are the city planners and management..........the projects in Mumbai suffer from regular delays,license problems,heavy price escalation and corruption.......now whats new in all these problems.............India has suffered from them from 1947....................but they are the very BASIC and BITTER problems obstructing the growth of the city............we tend(or feel contended)to blame it on immigrants and non-marathis.......but thats is what the poor government body has used to hide its underbelly and make Mumbaikars fancy negatively so that they get diverted from the poor governance and politicians can comfortably suck up the city..............ans we are FOOL enough to think that.............these people are very clever and cunning...........we need to see thru them clearly and realize what is reallly gud for the city!

#134 ·
what i would like to see in bombay in 10 years:

1. a much better public transport system, qualitatively, not just quantitatively. this will include suburban rail, metro, monorail, brts, water transport, etc. also a total BAN on rickshaws. ideally any rail based station within a km of any place

2. better parks and gardens throughout the city, not just in some pockets

3. good pavements throughout the city, not just in some areas. anyone should be able to walk kms without stepping on the road. this of course means less encroachments

4. NO RENT CONTROL. ok maybe thats asking too much

5. better cultural spaces and more government support for the same. we need something of the quality of a madison square gardens to attract international and national acts

6. more quality non-cricket stadiums to encourage young sportspeople

7. better planning and thought on road alignments and road widths. get rid of all the changing widths on the road. 1 lane to 2 lanes to 3 lanes to 1 lane. ffs!!

8. more links with the mainland to get growth near alibaug, nhava, new bombay etc. a world class resort in alibaug. also completion of the western freeway

9. opening up of bombay port trust land to give the city a new waterfront and one that looks out into bombay's future, i.e. new bombay

10. high speed rail link with pune to strengthen the twin-city status

11. pedestrianisation of some south bombay streets to create high-end shopping and entertainment options

12. lot more cluster rebuilding of old districts of the city, while preserving historically and architecturally significant structures

13. a marina or two along the western coastline of the city

14. cleaning up of the mithi and beautification around the river to offer one more public space to the city

15. completion of BRIMSTOWAD and completion of the new dams for augmentation of water supply to the city

honestly i can see at least half of this happening. with a bit of luck and some vision we can see a whole lot more

#136 ·
amen lets hope it happens would love to see all the cities in INDIA develop and compete with other world cities

#173 · (Edited)
Tier II and Tier III Cities need to be developed. That is one of the most effective ways of dealing with migration in India. In this manner, migration to larger (Tier I) cities can be kept in check. In tandem with step, rural developments must also occur to stem mass migration.

The future of India, however lies with the service industry and high-end manufacturing, as India's cost advantage in manufacturing will soon reach parity with the rest of the world as development goals are achieved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.