SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Mumbai - Next 10 Years

180K views 379 replies 98 participants last post by  Pratham Yadav 
#1 ·
Hi Friends,

I am starting a thread to visualize what Mumbai would be like to stay in the next 10 years.
You are free to provide your views on following areas or more as you think of:

1. Transportation (BEST Bus service, Trains, Metro, Monorail)

2. Malls and Hyper malls

3. Entertainment Zones (for Kids and adults)

4. Foreign Brands (KFC< MCDOnalds, papaJohns, Debenhems, Walmart,Tesco)

5. Parks/Gardens

6. Quality of Highways / Roads

#235 · (Edited)
This is what I think Mumbai will have in next 10 Years

1) Metro - > Phase 1 first 2 lines would be ready. Line 3(Bandra-Colaba) may be U/C or nearing completion. There will be a Metro/Monorail form Ghatkoper to Mulund or Probably thane. Probably 1 more line at most on the eastern side may be U/C(Probality is less). Probably it may happen that more lines are needed per direction for some of the coridors(by seeing Crush Load on Line 1 and Line 2) so they may plan for going underground on those sections again. 1-2 lines of Metro in Navi Mumbai at max, that too I think Probability is not that High.
2) Monorail - First line will be running and probably 1 more line completed and 1-2 U/C
3) Suburban Rail - > All New Rakes. 6 lines on the central side and 8 lines on the western side dedicated for Suburban train. All stations connected with skywalks and some of the stations are improved. 2-3 new lines. 50 % of Subarban rails will have 12 coaches and the remaining will have 15-18 coaches. Double Decker coaches may also be arriving and changes in the infrastructure to accomodate Double Decker coaches will be commencing shortly.
4) Super talls -> Atleast 8-10 buildings >300 meters would be ready(few of them >100 floors) and another 10 U/C or nearing completion. Lot of buildings between 50-80 floors.
5) Sealink -> It will be there till Haji Ali. The further part will be U/C. Trans Harbour Link also U/C. Probably Bandra-Versova may also start construction
6) Roads -> All the Roads are already cemented long back so no issues on that side. JVLR and SCLR , Eastern Freeway are a huge success. But the cars have also increased exponentially. Lot of road widening projects, flyovers and underground roads may be happening.
7) Redevelopment -> BKC Developed completely. Some good Highrise corporate Buildings in Wadala and lots U/C. Bhendi Bazaar will be redeveloped completely and lot of Chawls/diplited buildings in Girgaum - Worli redeveloped and lots of highrises in that area. NP redevelopment will be in progress. Probably there would be a plan to expand redevelopment from NP to Fort,Churchgate and Marine lines areas . Lots of slum land in Mumbai City will be redeveloped but some more new slum areas will come up in the outskirts of MMR region(not within Mumbai city)
8) Dharavi Redevelopment -> This time politicians will take it seriously and plan for redeveloping it.
9) Airport -> T2 ready but CSIA is saturated and Navi Mumbai Airport nearing completion.
10) MMR -> It will expand on Alibaug side and also Pune side. Probably in the next decade by 2030 Pune and Mumbai will join as the Biggest Metropolitain area in the world. On western side Mumbai will expand towards Dahanu.. There will be lot more trains between Pune-Mumbai and Mumbai-Surat which can be termed as almost 1 Metro politain region and then the construction of Bullet train Pune-Mumbai-Surat-Ahmadabad will start.

#246 ·
The seven islands that came to constitute Mumbai were home to communities of fishing colonies. For centuries, the islands came under the control of successive indigenous empires before being ceded to the Portuguese and subsequently to the British East India Company. During the mid-18th century, Mumbai was reshaped by the British with large-scale civil engineering projects, and emerged as a significant trading town. Economic and educational development characterised the city during the 19th century. It became a strong base for the Indian independence movement during the early 20th century. When India became independent in 1947, the city was incorporated into Bombay State. In 1960, following the Samyukta Maharashtra movement, a new state of Maharashtra was created with Bombay as capital. It was renamed Mumbai in 1995.

#248 ·
Mumbai is developing!!

I think there is development not only in Navi Mumbai but even the suburbs are developing.
You must have heard about A building near Borivli railway station that was sold at a whopping rate of Rs 1.5 lakh per sq ft for commercial purposes.

The government’s initiative towards Mumbai Trans Harbor Link (MTHL) will provide additional access from Mumbai to mainland at South Navi Mumbai.
I think this will not only give rise to additional traffic movement but also bring out the need for greater economic integration of Mumbai with mainland.

Worli, Lower-Parel and Sewri is developing in terms of Real estate demand.

Goregoan is already one of the popular suburbs with great demand for residential properties. With malls and multiplexes coming up in Goregoan. its been one of the best western suburbs.

All in all, Demand for Suburbs is also at its peak. Government and private builders are putting in equal effort to bring in various projects with all the modern amenities for the buyers. Mumbaikars are now moving towards all the corners of the city.

#250 ·
Mumbai needs a vision, it needs a Visionary to take this city forward.

There are some pain points, some eye sores that could be improved.
The auto rickshaws can be more regulated in certain areas, traffic lines marked on roads, Garbage waste management and hygiene on roadside vendors need to be improved. These things would make a considerable difference.

It needs resources and investments, now that Delhi CWG mess is over, the govt. should take some time on investing in Mumbai too.

#251 ·
^^ hahahahaha...that's it...no more laughs...mess yeah big mess in delhi and we got benefitted from that...like some really nice infrastructure....I still don't understand your's obsession with delhi comparison...all the best...

And if ya still doubt it..see the budget Mumbai still get enough funds to make your dream a reality...but they don't

#252 ·
^^I did not see any wrong in what he said. Even though Delhi got some good infrastructure "India" and to some extent "Delhi" paid a lot more than what it would have cost. Being a financial capital Mumbai has been neglected (Partly mismanaged) and deserves a lot more for its stature as a financial capital of this country. Here I dont mean Delhi shouldnt get any coz its the capital and deserves its share but the problem is ignoring Mumbai. And YES i agree its time for center to turn some attention towards Mumbai.

#253 ·
Sir, That's what I am saying..However MUMBAI has got sufficient FUNDS to get developed..from Central GOVT..they have not been NEGLECTED...!!!!!

the only problem with Mumbai is ..it's leader....they bloody eat up EVERYTHING directed towards Mumbai...read yesterday's newspaper....A land scam by Mumbai elites and POLITICIANS....which costed them ALOT....Mumbai Development Authority was involved in it....

Soo what's the role of Delhi or Central Govt in it....

If you try to develop anything in Mumbai....Either Shiv Sena or MNS strikes or Amar ji's party fight over the share etc etc...No Elite and Politician in mumbai is working together to make Mumbai a heaven...If Mumbai politics are playing so bad....how can you BLAME GoI for this..????

In Delhi, Shiela Dixit is special to us....She gets the projects approved and done by Hook or by Crook...She works for delhi....

Check the Budget Mumbai and Delhi gets almost same budget to improve their Infra....

It's no Delhi or Mumbai...it's just the way few people are taking Mumbai for granted...you may start delhi mumbai fight...however that remains the fact...

I see people here and all over Mumbai crying yaar delhi ko itna mil gaya....arre yaar think about developing your city instead of crying on somebody's else success....Dilli gaya bhaad mein yaar...

#257 ·
Top Maha & Mumbai politicians involved are
1. A Kundan:- Collector of MUMBAI and Joint Secretary (Planning)
2. PV DeshMukh:Ex-Deputy Secretary
3. Kanishka Pathak: Son of former BMC Commissioner J.Pathak
4. Seema Vyas: FDA Commissioner
5. Rajesh Kumar Das: VP, MAHARASHTRA State Road Development Corporation
6. Ranjit Sangitrao: Son of Transport Secretary
7. Devyani KHOBRAGADE: Daughter of Former BEST GM
8. JM Abhyankar
9. Onkar Tiwari: Son of State Info Commissioner.

yaar BB I atleast expect some sensible answer or reply from you....Don't you really think that its INSIDERS who are eating up everything ....This blame game will not take Mumbai anywhere yaar....Why is it always this ki tu Dilliwalla hai isliye tujhe Mumbai se issue hai....that's bullshit yaar...

#258 ·
its defence land that was usurped by defence personnel and then flats were also sold to other bureaucrats and ministers, both central and state. it would not have originated without the defence initiating it

there are loads of land scams in bombay (and i am sure in other cities) initiated by local politicians. but this was a poor example to pick

also after the cwg mentioning a small land scam in bombay as a pointer to the city being more corrupt than say delhi is laughable. ask most indians which is the most corrupt city in india and you will be pretty disappointed

#259 ·
Yeah Yeah....Corrupted city..I think it might just you who'll be more disappointed I believe...anyways we are happy with any tag especially when we are advancing day by day...in infra as well dude...may be other city should also try corruption if it can change their infra and face.....or may be ...blah blah blah

#337 · (Edited)
^^

Bombay wins!

Madras, Calcutta, Hyderabad and upstart Banglore Are the main add as of politics, not villages. All have been hijacked by wrap around parties.

The big Daddy of them all are SS Bombay MMR and Congress bastion Delhi NCR.

Modi magic shut up the ST and pocketed Mumbai. New Delhi NCR is a work-in-progress. Mumbai maverick is now at the center, Mumbai's future is on rocket boosters.

Infra. wise it's Mumbai all the way.

For eg, REITs, anti benami and black money bills will kickstart this building biz. Slowly, but this is great time to launch supertalls because the market is down, stock is overdue for sale to buyers. New bills means prices will dip further.

Re. supertalls, good time as they have long 5-7 yr. gestation. Plus, Bombay is unique in having lots and lots of legacy land parcels all tied up in red tape. And read between the lines, this time the BJP govt. Is priming every single move with the target of next election. I ndia will re-boom closer to 5 yrs. election time.

Offload time for supertalls stakeholders.

Meanwhile, Mumbai local rail can go for solar panels on tracks and specially overhead? Boadband. Water pipes?

I feel overhead and track level solar power generation alone can work magic for Railways balance sheets.

Broadband, also notice Mumbai legacy stations look like forts and palaces, why not un-lock value in said heritage properties by off loading them to REIT'S or Hotels, Conference centers, Marriage Halls, whatever? Is no genius to sell said heritage buildings cash down and rent them back. Puts immediate cash into the coffers for main thing - running trains!

Global practices.

#266 · (Edited)
Re: niknak's post above ...

The big boys sitting in Delhi are no dummies.

When Delhi runs out of patience with Bombay's perverted neta-goonda nexus, then? Or, it's 'filmy'.
Hyderabad, Goa, Assam, Kashmir and other's failed trying, it took some drastic surgical action, and quite some time; often a generation or more of healing for recovery. Hyderabad, Goa, Assam, Punjab... and others are coming around. Even Bangladesh has seen the diya of light.

Sorry, that's in-excusable. Poor mumbaiyyas, coming from the city of gold, can't put roots down anywhere, ever.

#276 ·
^^^^^^

What what, the 'Kendra' uses Bombay re: infra. institutions, banks, FDI channelling etc.;
Kendra will not let Bombay slip away like others. No Hyderabad, Punjab, Assam Goa style deterioration when the 'forces' had to be unleashed to normalise affairs. Know what I mean, bete ... read between the lines ;) .

#268 ·
Nothing much has changed in Bombay. The condition of the roads are worsening. While they claim to make pothole free roads, they make the roads uneven. Patchworks don't work. We need big companies to undertake road development. Giving these jobs to small contractors is just a waste of public money. Concrete blocks are a failure yet they continue to use it. Small time contractors quote prices 20-30% less than what the actual cost would be, do shoddy work and get away with it. Reputed firms cannot compete with them on price. While we have big skyscrapers coming up throughout the city, the situation on the ground is horrible. There are no garbage bins on the roads. Where are people supposed to throw their waste?

I think most of the blame should go to the voters. BMC election is a popularity contest. The party to rile up the masses for inane reasons like migration and shivaji statues win the elections.

#269 ·
No court stay on Mumbai's road audit by Swiss company

MUMBAI: In a development that may help break the hold a group of contractors has over road works in the city, the Bombay high court on Tuesday refused to stay the quality audit of Rs 900-crore road projects by a Switzerland-based firm. It also observed that it might not be necessary to call for tenders to appoint an auditor.

A division bench of Justice Sharad Bobade and Justice R D Dhanuka said any stay on the work being carried out by Geneva-based SGS Consultancy at this stage "might frustrate the very intention of the civic body of simultaneous audit of road works, and would operate against public interest. It might result in (the) stoppage of road works".

The court's order paves the way for the BMC to issue a formal work order to SGS, which had started auditing road repairs in October 2011.

The state and the BMC's efforts to deal with contractors also got a boost. The high court considered the argument that if the work of quality audit was awarded through tenders to the lowest bidder, there was a possibility that the process might be jeopardized by the contractors, who could set up bidders to give reports in their favour.

"We are prima facie of the view that appointment of an auditor does not involve execution of a work or supply of materials and, therefore, it might not be necessary for the commissioner to invite tenders (for allotting work to a quality auditor)," said the judges. However, as their view was at odds with a 2006 HC order that ruled that audit work of city roads should be done only through a tender process, the judges referred the issue to a larger bench.

Senior advocates Iqbal Chagla and E Bharucha, appearing for SGS and the BMC, respectively, insisted that the corporation had the power to choose a world-class contractor to supervise and assess city roads.

"The road contractors quote prices that are 20-30% less, which is why reputable firms do not participate in the tender process," said advocate Chagla. "Though the BMC has been conducting audit of road works since 2005, the situation has not changed. This necessitated the appointment of a world-class quality auditor like SGS," added the advocate. SGS also submitted before the court a report of what it had found-contractors laying roads that were 50% thinner than the approved norms, shoddy materials and use of concrete mix that did not meet approval.

The petition filed by former NCP corporator Niyaz Vanu had challenged the BMC's decision to appoint SGS without calling for tenders.

Senior advocate S Aney, counsel for the petitioner, said SGS was to be paid over Rs 4 crore for the work, which could have been done by 16 other audit firms in the city at a lower cost.

SGS and BMC lawyers argued that the 2006 judgment did not apply in the case of handing over the audit work to a firm, as the nature of the task was supervisory, involved forming an opinion and could be given only to a firm that had the trust and confidence of the corporation.

They also contended that as per the BMC Act only those contracts which involved execution of a work or supply of materials should be through a tender process. The tender rule does not apply to appointments of a fiduciary nature such as that of an auditor, advocate or a chartered accountant.

The court agreed and referred the issue of whether it was necessary to call for tenders for appointing a quality auditor for roads to a larger bench. The petitioner's application for an interim stay on the audit work was also rejected by the court. The HC pointed out that Vanu had approached the court after a considerable delay - four months after SGS had started the work, where the whole tenure of the contract was only for eight months.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...86790_1_tender-process-audit-firms-road-works

#277 ·
Remember when vilasrao was demolishing slums and Sonia asked to stop the demolition, as its their votebank. Trust me BJP+SS are much better compared to cong +NCP when its comes to development. remember 50+ flyovers between 1995 and 2000 were constructed by SS+BJP. They may not be as good as we expect, I certainly want them to control slums atleast in the tourist places.

#280 · (Edited)
kingkobra said:
no city in India has world class roads and infrastructure....some planned cities like chandigarh come close..

Mumbai has too many problems like slums etc which can never be solved by any political party in next 2 decades at least...

Mumbai is getting better...it is India...not china...things take a lot of time..
I know none of the Indian cities have world class roads, that is why I said at least Mumbai being the most important financial city should have them and they require them.

I am not saying Cong+NCP is better, I'm just saying BJP+SS are bad at cleaning up the city efficiently. One thing is certain, they are both bad at maintaining development, you can't just say "pick the better political party", with a mentality like that no wonder things aren't moving fast.

#281 ·
As I said, we tend to give credit where NO credit is due ;) .

Do we remember and celebrate the chief engg.'s, project managers and contractors of our projects?
And whick neta is directly responsible for any given one single particular public project. Accountable from start! These criminals only show up for ribbon cutting and photo op.'s.

Politics and development is often independent issues, some can sabotage things somewhat. The Mega funding and engg. game behind the scenes is not to be under estimated. Netas are in cahoots. And net as are dispensable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.