daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Canada > British Columbia > Archive Threads

Closed Thread

Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:26 AM   #1
cxhtdui
rhoad warrior

Likes (Received): 0

UBC

Hey, i am going to UBC in the fall and I was wondering if the campus is as nice as advertised. I am from outside Philadelphia, so being near Vancouver is definitely a step up from that infested dirthole of a metropolis. Also, is it easy to get into Vancouver from campus (late night bus service??)

and some "real" pictures of the campus would be helpful

Last edited by cxhtdui; April 23rd, 2005 at 12:32 AM.
cxhtdui no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old April 23rd, 2005, 01:41 AM   #2
spaceprobe

some pictures of UBC buildings... from a quick search on google. The exposure doesn't look too great though.

http://www.vanvr.com/vanvr/Gallery/UBC/index.html

Yes, the campus really is very nice, and views, especially from the Rose garden, are spectacular. The only disappointing thing is the big puddles that form in front of some of the older science buildings when it downpours.

Yes there is late night bus service. See http://www.translink.bc.ca/
As a UBC student, part of your school fees is the U-pass, a transit pass for all three transit zones in Greater Vancouver. Its mandatory, but its cheap, at $22 per month. If you live in UBC residences, its $17.
spaceprobe no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 02:03 AM   #3
cxhtdui
rhoad warrior

thanks, that 3 am bus service is going to be nice, and those squirrels look healthy, unlike the rabid, mangy ones around here.
cxhtdui no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 02:11 AM   #4
npinguy

i go to UBC.

love it.

getting from ubc to downtown takes about 50 minutes on bus. But that's cuz it's slow bus, not cuz it's far away.
npinguy no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 02:59 AM   #5
Huhu

Likes (Received): 152

Transportation can be inconvenient, otherwise it's ok.
Huhu no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 03:45 AM   #6
van-tbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinguy
i go to UBC.

love it.

getting from ubc to downtown takes about 50 minutes on bus. But that's cuz it's slow bus, not cuz it's far away.
It only takes 20-25 mins to downtown with 99 BLine, just change the bus on Granville & Broadway.
Pics of UBC
Looking north, with Howe Sound, the southernmost Fjord in NA, in the background

Looking east, with downtown in the background
van-tbird no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 04:51 AM   #7
en

Likes (Received): 1

Its more of a commuter campus because almost everyone takes transit to school

And if you have not seen much Asians before, you might be shocked to see that probably 70% of the students there are Chinese, in my faculty, Electrical Engineering, its like 90%
en no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 05:11 AM   #8
ailiton
Toffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by en
Its more of a commuter campus because almost everyone takes transit to school

And if you have not seen much Asians before, you might be shocked to see that probably 70% of the students there are Chinese, in my faculty, Electrical Engineering, its like 90%
Not really. I would say less than 40% are Asian.
ailiton no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 05:52 AM   #9
crazyjoeda
Mac User

Likes (Received): 6

UBC is regarded as having one of the most beutiful campus for a univercity any where. Just a heads up UBC stands for Unending Building Construction (as u can tell by the photos above).
Old April 23rd, 2005, 06:01 AM   #10
oceanmdx
Mr. Haney(Cruz) for Pres.

Likes (Received): 43

The campus is okay but the buildings could be a lot better considering the beautiful area in which they are located. The houses with their landscaping - including the fantastic ocean views -just outside the campus, are gorgeous. The area is one of North America's most beautiful urban places.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt"... I don't know who first said this, but it certainly wasn't the mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford.
oceanmdx no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 07:38 AM   #11
fever

If you like modernism you'll like UBC's buildings. If not, the scenery's pretty nice.

there's a night bus service. ee's probably half asian.
fever no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 08:51 AM   #12
crazyjoeda
Mac User

Likes (Received): 6

They are building better buildings, but a lot are from the 70's. The new library is very nice though.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:04 AM   #13
cxhtdui
rhoad warrior

damn, ubc is going to be great. Although, I am going to have to spend a week hauling all of my crap across 10 states to get there. 30 minutes to the city isn't bad, and a large asian population will be cool.
Is this new project that was just voted on starting soon? That first presentation looks nice, but I'll probably be there only for its construction. Man, college, time to grow a gigantic beard and get really fat. It's going to be cool.
cxhtdui no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:07 AM   #14
cxhtdui
rhoad warrior

Quote:
crazyjoeda They are building better buildings, but a lot are from the 70's. The new library is very nice though.
I love old buildings from the 70's. I grew up with nothing but them. I like that "1972 rural high school" style.
cxhtdui no está en línea  
Old April 23rd, 2005, 12:09 PM   #15
npinguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by van-tbird
It only takes 20-25 mins to downtown with 99 BLine, just change the bus on Granville & Broadway.
couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

I live in Kitsilano, I take the B-line from granville. It takes 20 minutes to get from macdonald to UBC.

if you want to get to downtown you have to change to 16, 17, 10, or 98 at granville.

once you include wait-times it's almost 50 minutes.
npinguy no está en línea  
Old April 24th, 2005, 02:08 AM   #16
en

Likes (Received): 1

The public computer facilities except in my dept I find are not that great, on the other hand if you have a laptop, the whole campus is wireless enabled and you can get a good connection from almost anywhere.
en no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #17
fever

it usually takes me less than 35 minutes to get downtown (i do it every week day). 25 minutes on the bline and then 10 minutes to get to granville and georgia, including the transfer (which is almost never more than 3 minutes). it might take five minutes more on a weekend or at night.

i don't like the 17 (4) because it feels like it's taking forever, but it's scheduled to take 31 (30) minutes to get from UBC to Granville and Georgia
fever no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #18
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 14

Why do you people transfer @ Broadway & Granville?! It's much faster to take the 2 or the 22 from Burrard (if you live downtown) and then transfer to the B-line at Broadway and McDonald. It takes about half an hour. Alternatively, you can also take the 44 which is an express from UBC to Waterfront - takes about 20 or less.
Monkey no está en línea  
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:14 AM   #19
npinguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fever
it usually takes me less than 35 minutes to get downtown (i do it every week day). 25 minutes on the bline and then 10 minutes to get to granville and georgia, including the transfer (which is almost never more than 3 minutes). it might take five minutes more on a weekend or at night.

i don't like the 17 (4) because it feels like it's taking forever, but it's scheduled to take 31 (30) minutes to get from UBC to Granville and Georgia
perhaps you don't go during rush hour. It takes me 25 usually just to get to macdonald, and the transfers are usually longer as well.
npinguy no está en línea  
Old April 26th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #20
fever

I don't notice much difference depending on time of day. The only place where there's ever a problem is between pine and granville, and it's never backed up more than a couple minutes. I used to take the 44 in the morning (and it used to take 20 minutes - usually 25 to 30 the last year I've found), but it comes so infrequently that I just take the 2 or 22 if it shows up first. Burrard's backed up pretty often in the afternoon so I dont bother with the 2 and 22 on the way back.
fever no está en línea  

Closed Thread