daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Old May 26th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #1
donaldson1

Likes (Received): 3

LANCASHIRE | Public Transport

I'd say this building is the best of its type left in the United Kingdom.
Sadly due for demolition in the next couple of years. Read description for more background info on this fine work of art.
New link that works!!!
http://youtu.be/lLexGjJMiwo

Last edited by donaldson1; April 6th, 2014 at 12:45 PM.
donaldson1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 26th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #2
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 445

To me it looks like the architect disliked people who take buses and thus wanted them to feel depressed. Much like almost all brutalist architecture.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #3
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 87

My immediate impression is that Preston is suffering here from the same lack of sensible thinking that Northampton is. A large, well-planned bus facility is being removed and replaced with something that's not as capable of handling the traffic flows. In both cases there are large numbers of people who hate and love the building. That's almost irrelevant really. The point is that these buildings can be refurbished, brought up to modern standards of safety, security and accessibility, and aesthetically improved if necessary. Demolishing them is a waste, is illogical on transport grounds and is disrespectful to the history of this type of architecture and to the 1960s-1970s period in the history of these places.

241,000 people and growing. Britain's most heavily wooded urban area, 92% satisfaction rate and now centre of the South Midlands region. Oh and we're a city regardless of whether or not the Queen has noticed.
Join the Milton Keynes development thread here!

jonasry liked this post
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 1059

The new Northampton bus station is a joke. What a silly location that will be!

Anyway, I need to find a place to merge this thread into. This topic is rather more suitable for the UK forum as it is. Perhaps I will put it in a UK bus thread.
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Phreud

Likes (Received): 191

Unexpected good news today!

'Preston bus station: the city council wanted to knock it down but it was voted best local building in a local newspaper poll.

Preston bus station, which only a few months ago was consigned for demolition by the local council, has just been granted what appears to be a total reprieve - a grade II listing. This is a spectacular victory for a conservation campaign for the sort of building that conservationists used to oppose bitterly.
Preston bus station is a brutalist building – brutalist as it was defined by architects in the 1950s and 1960s, before the word came to denote any offensive postwar building. Brutalism entailed simple, sublime forms built with a "truth to materials", in this case "béton brut", ie, unpainted, unadulterated concrete. Buildings like this have been gradually listed over the last 20 years, sometimes in the face of opposition or public distrust. This time, though, the public, inside and outside Preston, have been the building's champions: the station won a local newspaper poll for the best piece of architecture in Preston'.

Owen Hatherley - theguardian.com Tuesday 24 September 2013
Phreud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #6
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 41

I'd never heard of it before, so here are some images from Google. I like it-- if anything, its graceful form is more evocative of aircraft than of buses.

geometarkv liked this post
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #7
pr1berske
Milky Milky

Likes (Received): 31

Preston Bus Station has recently been granted Grade II Listed Status, which is fantastic.

I have always loved the building. Here's the results of some quick snaps I made a few years ago

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2732555...7607310570321/

Phreud liked this post
pr1berske no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #8
Phreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr1berske View Post
Preston Bus Station has recently been granted Grade II Listed Status, which is fantastic.

I have always loved the building. Here's the results of some quick snaps I made a few years ago

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2732555...7607310570321/
That's quite a homage to the place!

pr1berske liked this post
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #9
zaphod

Likes (Received): 118

Its kind of dark and enclosed but I can see how people might like the building.

The interior needs work but the outside is pretty creative and should be preserved.

Phreud liked this post
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #10
Phreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Its kind of dark and enclosed but I can see how people might like the building. The interior needs work but the outside is pretty creative and should be preserved.
"Didn't I meet you at a fancy dress party in Islington? You only had the two arms and the one head and you called yourself 'Phil', but..."

“What?” he said to Zaphod. “You don’t mean to say you’ve been in that miserable, neglected bus station as well do you?”
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #11
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 41

So, is there anything else of note happening with public transport in Lancashire?

Forgive my typically American ignorance, but... what is that huge bus station for? AFAIK, we don't have stations like that here, certainly not in the 5 million-population metro that I live in.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #12
Phreud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 958 View Post
what is that huge bus station for?
Buses. Plus there's a multi-storey car park on top of the bus station.

It's over large for the size of 'Greater Preston' (the city's population is about 140,000 in a wider area of 330,000 or so) which is part of the problem.

But it is a very fine modernist building indeed - the Preston Passion (Easter celebration as part of a historical local festival), televised last year in the UK, was filmed in the west forecourt with the bus station as the backdrop.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00q06xx
Old October 19th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #13
Kolothos
Slyscrapercity

Likes (Received): 315

All of these big brutal concrete buildings do have a cool 80s retro-future feel about them. Preston bus station is a main stop for people travelling south, and I've only ever seen it during the night, deserted. It's a cool building.
''We’re not sure what’s better – Salmond’s giant fleg behind Cameron’s unknowing, soulless husk of a heid, the strawberries and cream imperialism iz gr8 brigade getting all like “how dare you wave a flag in public” while literally shrouded in the butcher’s apron, or the fact that Salmond had to clarify that in fact he hadn’t been storing the Saltire up his hole throughout the entire match''
Kolothos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #14
donaldson1

Likes (Received): 3

Now listed grade II, looks like the council saw sense and decided to keep the Bus Station
donaldson1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote