daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Old February 16th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #1
fbeavis

Likes (Received): 41

MISC | Crime on public transit

How safe is the public transit system in your area? Have you ever witnessed any crime in a conveyance or on transit property like at a station?
fbeavis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 16th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #2
rakcancer

Likes (Received): 143

Couple of months ago in NYC subway station at 50th st I saw guy grabbing someone's iPhone while that person was using it. The victim was trying to chase the thief. While he was running after him he was stopped and blocked himself by another guy ,I guess helper of the thief, by making him caged in the turnstile. Eventually he freed himself after few seconds and went up on the stairs to catch the guy. It was so unreal and quick. I don't know how it ended.
rakcancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #3
quashlo

Likes (Received): 2643

- Someone tried to steal my iPhone on BART. They failed, and I chased the prick out of the station. If I wasn't in dress shoes and work attire with briefcase in hand, I probably could have caught the brat. His co-perp got another guy's iPhone though.

- A group of middle school kids brought something on-board my bus hidden inside a backpack, I think a weapon or something. Everyone was getting ready to get off the bus at a major stop, but immediately as the rear doors opened, the group of policemen started boarding the bus, guns pointing. Of course, everyone promptly rushed off at that point.

- Tagging. I don't know if it's gotten substantially better since I now generally avoid Muni like the plague, but when I was a kid, taggers would have no qualms about bombing the inside of a crowded bus in broad daylight, windows, roofs, panels, etc. These were the more dangerous lines anyways, so you don't get yourself involved, especially if you have kids... Just sit quietly, pretending you don't see anything.

- Petty stuff like fare evasion (turnstile jumping, rear-door boarding, etc.).
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #4
lintonschoice

Likes (Received): 0

Crime on public transportation

I live in Charlotte NC and we have a light rail that goes by the Bobcats arena. Their have been a few robberies at knifepoint and 1 rape. People should carry some kind of pepper spray with them when they use this mode of transportation.
lintonschoice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #5
HARTride 2012
Tampa/St. Pete, FL Mod

Likes (Received): 425

I've witnessed several instances where unruly (often drunk) people try to cause an altercation at bus stops (Tampa, FL, US) and subway stations (New York City, NY, US). In one instance, this drunk homeless man threatened to throw a beer bottle at a lady and the police had to be called in.
HARTride 2012 | Please visit my website: Public Transit As Told By HARTride 2012 - Public Transit told from a unique perspective! - Tampa Bay, New York City, Hampton Roads, Europe | Follow me on Twitter | "Like" my page on Facebook
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #6
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 1094

Tagging occasionally is the only real problem I've encountered in Stockholm. It's safe, well policed and has a good amount of security cameras if anything does go wrong.
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #7
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 5045

In Hong Kong, graffiti and vandalism are very rare but since the trains get very crowded, sexual assaults are the main concern. Ironically, pickpocketing doesn't seem to be a problem. There have been discussions of setting up women-only cars like in Japan but I haven't heard much of the outcome lately.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 04:46 AM   #8
Dimethyltryptamine
Pop culture is my bitch

Likes (Received): 2993

Late at night, when the trains aren't busy, you risk getting bashed for valuables, or for the sake of being bashed... (same goes for train stations). Other than that, mainly tagging on seats/windows, etc.
Dimethyltryptamine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 74

One of my Nokia phones got stolen back in year 2009. As soon as I noticed that my Jabra bluetooth headset wasn't picking up any signal, that's when I started to get worried and checking on my pocket, it was gone.

Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Minato ku

Theft of smartphone (often with violence), pickpocketing, vandalism are frequent on Paris metro.
I have never witnessed any crime in Paris transport but the Paris police departement advice to be careful with smartphone.

There are sonor annoncement in French, English, Japanese, Spanish, German about it and also about pickpocket.

Bus driver assault are also quite common unfortunalely.
Old February 20th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #11
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 147

I've been threatened with violence by a junkie teenage girl with a pram who claimed she would "smash my face in" if I didn't move my bicycle from the doorway, but in reality all she did was spit on me.

I've witnessed graffiti being done a couple of times both on trains and at stations.