SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22,342 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
This thread is for representations of Liverpool in the media and any issues raised by how the city is represented.

As I write, there is a piece on Radio 4's Today programme about the UNESCO visit to Liverpool, and the danger of the city losing its WHS if it goes ahead with the museum.

The key narrative appears to be: Can the city remain faithful to its past whilst growing?

I have to say that it is an informed, balanced piece.

It ended with a statement to the effect that if UNESCO doesn't accept the arguments by LCC, EH, CABE, Liverpool might have to contemplate pulling out of the WHS club.

What do you think?

Name another Popular world knows city that has world Heritage Status, New York? Sydney, Hong Kong? i odn't think so, WHS keeps us in the 20th century, 19th to mention it, We need to grow and grow big and fast if we are to keep up with demand

Name another Popular world knows city that has world Heritage Status, New York? Sydney, Hong Kong? i odn't think so, WHS keeps us in the 20th century, 19th to mention it, We need to grow and grow big and fast if we are to keep up with demand
WHS was the greatest thing to happen to the city in 70 years. All the city has to do is abide by the rules it signed up to. Liverpool applied for the status, then ignored the rules oin some point and are preparing to flout the rules on others. I hope UNESCO give the city a good bating.

Modern buildings can be built in many places in Liverpool, why in the WHS zones?

The sooner the LibDems go the better. They have proven to be incompetent - no aim no direction no sweet nothing. To allow the deep water docks to be filled to canal boat depths is astonishing and shows how naive these people are.

I have had some dealing with politicos lately and those with the right ideas, drive and direction are the Labour people. They need to get in ASAP for sake of the future of the city.

We don't need any political propaganda in this forum, I think you should get BANNED. Moderators please get this guy out of his misery :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned:

WHS was the greatest thing to happen to the city in 70 years. All the city has to do is abide by the rules it signed up to. Liverpool applied for the status, then ignored the rules oin some point and are preparing to flout the rules on others. I hope UNESCO give the city a good bating.

Modern buildings can be built in many places in Liverpool, why in the WHS zones?

The sooner the LibDems go the better. They have proven to be incompetent - no aim no direction no sweet nothing. To allow the deep water docks to be filled to canal boat depths is astonishing and shows how naive these people are.

I have had some dealing with politicos lately and those with the right ideas, drive and direction are the Labour people. They need to get in ASAP for sake of the future of the city.
Bollocks.

It is totally artificial to have to preserve large sections of a city and stifle development in order to please a panel of so called international experts that don't even live in the city.

Bollocks.

It is totally artificial to have to preserve large sections of a city and stifle development in order to please a panel of so called international experts that don't even live in the city.
Most fortunely do not agree with you. Liverrpool has lots worth keeping

Ian Nairn, Britain’s Changing Towns(1967)

"The scale and resilience of the buildings and people (of Liverpool) is amazing - it is a world city, far more so than London or Manchester. It doesn’t feel like anywhere else in Lancashire: comparisons always end up overseas - Dublin, or Boston, or Hamburg. The city is tremendous, and so, right up to the First World War, were the abilities of the architects who built over it – the less said about the last forty years the better…… The centre is humane and convenient to walk around in, but never loses its scale. And, in spite of the bombings and the carelessness, it is still full of superb buildings. Fifty years ago it must have outdone anything in England."

Note: "outdone anything in England", including London.

I do not want to throw away what we have for tat, as that is waht has been built in Liverpool over the past 60 years. The high rise tat can go eslewhere.

The point is the two compliment each other - live side by side. It is not either/or. The city must move onto the dock waterways where there is much scope.

This thread is for representations of Liverpool in the media and any issues raised by how the city is represented.

As I write, there is a piece on Radio 4's Today programme about the UNESCO visit to Liverpool, and the danger of the city losing its WHS if it goes ahead with the museum.

The key narrative appears to be: Can the city remain faithful to its past whilst growing?

I have to say that it is an informed, balanced piece.

It ended with a statement to the effect that if UNESCO doesn't accept the arguments by LCC, EH, CABE, Liverpool might have to contemplate pulling out of the WHS club.

What do you think?
You may all be surprised to hear that I think we should pull out. WHS gives no protection that a sound conservation programme could not deliver... and the extra costs of keeping this stifling planning preservation tool is just so wildely damaging and 'innappropriate'!!!!!

You may all be surprised to hear that I think we should pull out. WHS gives no protection that a sound conservation programme could not deliver... and the extra costs of keeping this stifling planning preservation tool is just so wildely damaging and 'innappropriate'!!!!!
Sebo, you are in the minority in Liverpool, so you will have to agree to disgaree with the population.

Maybe the majority... or at least those who have actually considered the issue are like you... blinded to its consequences, meaning and impact then?

On which evidence do you base that heavy article of faith as well J ?

City on the Water, are you for real? Labour better than the Lib Dems in this city? Sorry, give me a second while I just laugh out load (maybe a minute)........ There all out, on a serious note, the Lib Dems may not be perfect but they are a damn sight better than Joe Anderson and his cronies. The only time you hear of this scary looking man is when he is trying to score cheap political points against his rivals.

I think this whole WHS thing is a load of wank! What is the fucking point in a city like Liverpool having it? People come to Liverpool for its football, its nightlife, and now possibly because of ECofC, not because it has a few parts of town which are deemed exceptional in archtiectural terms. Much of Central Liverpool is ripe for redevelopment, yet all this WHS and EH and CABE seems to do is hold the city's potential back further to such a point where the gap between the likes of Manc/Brum gets bigger compared to us.

Im not denying Liverpool does have some exceptional architectural streetscapes but why the **** should a vocal minority be able to hark on about a glorious past leaving a city for the younger generations to live in that is basically a fucking museum piece? We need more developments of the quality of Beetham West, but taller to really tell the world that Lpool is moving forward. The last thing we need is to tell outsiders the current reality - that is that a small minority are able to reinforce the stereotype many have - that Liverpool is very much a city looking to its past. If that's what you want then go to Bath!

City on the Water, are you for real? Labour better than the Lib Dems in this city?
I have had some contact with politicos of all colours re: filling in West Waterloo Dock.
I am apolitical on this matter. However in the past few months, the only party with any idea or go was the Labour Party. Its councillors were very concerned and active, with the Labour leader making a speech at the West Waterloo hearing and others attended too. Labour councillors are trying to get West Waterloo inside the fill WHS zone to protect it.

The LibDems have no idea and appear totally apathetic - the fighting with Storey and Henshaw was embarrassing. I though Henshaw a pillock with little idea - the blind leading the blind. Most, if not all, of this mess regarding the future of the docks waterways is when these LIbDem people are in charge. There is not even a binding strategy document for the future of the waterspaces. Hence proposals to in-fill, which will come and come until something is cast-in-concrete to determine the future of the water spaces. Peel have run rings around the LibDems and got what it wants on most matters - which means lots of money making for them at our expense, like desecrating the deep water docks making them into a shallow canalway for inland canal boats, preventing visiting and historic deep water ships berthing in the city centre. Few cities can have larege vessels berth in the centre, Liverpool is one of the few.

I don't care what the colour is of those in power in the city as long as they have some understanding of history & heritage, have vision for the future water based city, know what they are doing, and deliver. As far as I can see, the LibDems fail on all points. I like their point on introducing Land Value Tax, however other points are more pressing and important for the future of the city at this critical crossroads in its evolution. Get it wrong now and we are stuck with this for along time. Time for a change.

Maybe the majority... or at least those who have actually considered the issue are like you... blinded to its consequences, meaning and impact then?

On which evidence do you base that heavy article of faith as well J ?
LOL :)

1 - 20 of 22,342 Posts