SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Liverpool in the media

Tags
media
3M views 22K replies 464 participants last post by  DC1111 
#1 ·
This thread is for representations of Liverpool in the media and any issues raised by how the city is represented.

As I write, there is a piece on Radio 4's Today programme about the UNESCO visit to Liverpool, and the danger of the city losing its WHS if it goes ahead with the museum.

The key narrative appears to be: Can the city remain faithful to its past whilst growing?

I have to say that it is an informed, balanced piece.

It ended with a statement to the effect that if UNESCO doesn't accept the arguments by LCC, EH, CABE, Liverpool might have to contemplate pulling out of the WHS club.

What do you think?

#3,741 ·
Is it a cyptic mention of the catholic population and the hostility to Ireland and also to it's neutrality? I imagine this would have been a prevelant attitude....worth exploring from an historical point of view.

How is WWII history taught in Ireland? Were they supportive or hostile to us and how did they feel when the true horrors were uncovered?

Fascinating.
That's my interpretation as well. Not reported nearly as much were the calls for surrender in parts of the bomb ravaged east end of London. As regards the situation in Ireland plenty of people from the south fought in the British army including a member of my family who died fighting in Normandy.

#3,743 ·
Is it a cyptic mention of the catholic population and the hostility to Ireland and also to it's neutrality? I imagine this would have been a prevelant attitude....worth exploring from an historical point of view.

How is WWII history taught in Ireland? Were they supportive or hostile to us and how did they feel when the true horrors were uncovered?

Fascinating.
Don't know but I can see many people could get upset by being painted almost as cowardly, ramshackle dullards who 'probably didn't even understand' ...

#3,744 ·

Fascinating.
Ireland was tacitly supportive of Britain although officially neutral. A lot of myths have grown about Ireland's 'treachery" during the war, most based on bigotry and misinformation. The U-Boats refuelling off the west coast of Ireland has finally been discredited by that paragon of a Journalist, Robert Fisk. The De Valera letter to Hitler remains a bit of mystery as i've already stated Ireland did facilitate the UK war effort.

#3,745 ·
Well, it is incredible how hostile we are to each other, not on the personal level, but group/gang way. We have 99% in common with each other and Ireland is, probably because was, a British country just like Wales & Scotland.

The people asking for surrender were not aware of the horrors to be revealed so, you can understand how suing for peace would make sense to some.

Were they asked after the war if their attitude had changed? You would assume so, so that come the next war, the politicians would hype up the threat and fear to sway public opinion....scroll forward to Iraq and dossiers! Another day, another argument, no right answers.

If the blitz has continued and Hitler had focused on us more where would we have been..Jersey tells it's own story I guess.

#3,746 ·

Fascinating.
Yes, fascinating. I have uncles who were 'evacuated' to Ireland during the war. I even have an uncle who was born in the Rotunda Hospital in Dublin due to the fact his pregnat mother was evacuated from England. Also, my Granpa was a youngster during the blitzkrieg on Britain and he tells me that most, if not all, the stories about the Irish complicity with the Nazi's is just slander. Yes, "some Irish sympathised with Germany but so did some of us" (Englishmen.) He has also told me about the "lie" of Liverpool people hanging white flags of "surrender" from their windows during the bombing. "Yes' he says, "indeed Liverpool people hung white sheets from their windows, however, it was a requirement of the Civil Defence which enabled them to locate injured and dead civilians in the badly damaged homes".

#3,748 ·
#3,751 ·
I'm sure there would have been a great deal of panic when the first bombing raids started on Liverpool - as there would be in any city subject to indiscriminate mass destruction. I have heard stories of people leaving the city and sleeping under hedges in the country to escape the bombs.

The story of the crypt of St Lukes being used by the 'people of Liverpool' probably rings true as crypts, basements, underground stations and anywhere that offered some shelter from the bombs were used in London and other cities.

I doubt though that Liverpool would have been completely unprepared for the bombing as it did not start in earnest until May 1941 - eight months after the start of the blitz on London.

The stories about Ireland's Nazi collaboration are probably exaggerated. Clearly there would have been people there that hated England and would have supported anyone fighting against our country but some of the stories don't ring true.

Several years ago, when Liverpool was being twinned with Dublin, people brought up the old story about the people of Dublin leaving their lights on at night to guide the German bombers to Liverpool. Of course, there was no blackout in Dublin so it would have been normal to have lights on at night. Also, since Dublin was further from the German bomber bases than Liverpool, the bombers would have to go well out of their way - although being able to find Dublin would help in pinpointing Belfast. Finally, neutral or not, I doubt many people would be too happy about revealing their presence to a squadron of aircraft laden with bombs.

The story about De Valera sending a message of condolence on the death of Hitler is no doubt true but probably taken out of context. De Valera was an old fashioned statesman who, as a matter of course, would send a message of condolence on the death of a head of state. He was probably being naive more than anything else but I doubt that he was a Nazi sympathiser.

#3,752 ·
#3,754 ·

Southport: the bike-friendly seaside resort

As well as a municipal cycle-hire scheme, the town's station has plentiful and secure bike parking, says the Association of Train Operating Companies

Southport, in Merseyside, is one of northern England's best known seaside resorts – a well known playground for golfers, horse racing fans and the occasional "tired and emotional" Premier League footballer.

But you may not know that it is also one of the UK's most cycle-friendly towns...

Full article at http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2010/sep/14/rail-station-bike-parking

#3,757 ·
Did anybody see this evening's BBC six o'clock news?

Robert Peston was in Liverpool, as part of his 'round Britain' tour, looking at potential impacts of the coming budget slashing.

Started off with him on a Mersey Ferry, admiring the views of the skyline; then interviewing the boss of a medium -sized manufacturing company, in an undisclosed business park; then interviewing the vice-chancellor of John Moores, outside of the new design academy; then interviewing a 'community leader' in the badlands of Toxteth/Dingle. then ended re-boarding a Mersey Ferry.
A good & balanced piece, I thought. Plus, spectacular views, of course!!!
Disagree. I thought it was the usual and i'll be generous calling it cliched BBC reporting of Liverpool. Does the BBC head for St Paul's or Handsworth when when doing political pieces on Bristol and Birmingham...no it doesn't. The Toxteth riots were 30 years ago for God's sake not 5 or 10 years. The city was portrayed, truthful or not as a public sector junkie,the stuff the Daily Mail does periodically only it usual incudes people on benefits. As regards the "views" we have to be careful not to too much prominence to the waterfront, with very little behind it, i don't mean architecturally, i mean i thriving city,we could end up little more than a Potemkin Village secanrio. Just remembered the BBC, apparently YNWA was played at the Proms on Saturday, a mass rendition from sevral venues around Britain, not the place that er...cough made it far more famous than the musical Carousel..... SALFORD WAS ON IT THOUGH.....i'll say one thing about the BBC ..they know how to take the piss.

#3,758 ·
Disagree. I thought it was the usual and i'll be generous calling it cliched BBC reporting of Liverpool. Does the BBC head for St Paul's or Handsworth when when doing political pieces on Bristol and Birmingham...no it doesn't. The Toxteth riots were 30 years ago for God's sake not 5 or 10 years. The city was portrayed, truthful or not as a public sector junkie,the stuff the Daily Mail does periodically only it usual incudes people on benefits. As regards the "views" we have to be careful not to too much prominence to the waterfront, with very little behind it, i don't mean architecturally, i mean i thriving city,we could end up little more than a Potemkin Village secanrio. Just remembered the BBC, apparently YNWA was played at the Proms on Saturday, a mass rendition from sevral venues around Britain, not the place that er...cough made it far more famous than the musical Carousel..... SALFORD WAS ON IT THOUGH.....i'll say one thing about the BBC ..they know how to take the piss.
Agree. Quibble about minor points on other parts of the report but that bit about the riots had no place and was totally out of order.

#3,760 ·
Wasn't the point about showing the 81 riots because the police have mentioned that the ConDem cuts in public sector could lead to civil unrest?
There's been riots in about a dozen towns and cities across the country in the last 10 years. It had to be Liverpool to show footage of a riot before about a third of the population was even born. Robert Peston is typical metropolitan BBC, blinkered,lazy and for that whining accent of his:bash: