SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Liverpool in the media

Tags
media
3M views 22K replies 464 participants last post by  westisbest 
#1 ·
This thread is for representations of Liverpool in the media and any issues raised by how the city is represented.

As I write, there is a piece on Radio 4's Today programme about the UNESCO visit to Liverpool, and the danger of the city losing its WHS if it goes ahead with the museum.

The key narrative appears to be: Can the city remain faithful to its past whilst growing?

I have to say that it is an informed, balanced piece.

It ended with a statement to the effect that if UNESCO doesn't accept the arguments by LCC, EH, CABE, Liverpool might have to contemplate pulling out of the WHS club.

What do you think?

#5,701 ·
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b013fj45/Timothy_Spall_Back_at_Sea_Mad_about_the_Buoys/

Timothy Spall: Back at Sea

Untrained mariner Timothy Spall has spent a fortune on technology for his new challenge - the unpredictable Irish Sea - as he and his wife continue their mini-odyssey around Britain.

Entering Liverpool means navigating their first big city since leaving London, but reaching dry land can be daunting in a small boat when dodging tankers and ferries. It's even more difficult when the coastguard sends him round in circles because he's on the wrong side of the marker buoys.

#5,702 ·
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...form-guard-blew-whistle-leaning-carriage.html

Very sad news story, number two on the Daily Mail's online frontpage this evening.

It's a Liverpool story, so I go to the Liverpool Echo in the hope of more detail, but it's not there at all.

The Post and Echo are now the news media equivalent of the Adelphi was for hotels: a formerly great and significant player, living off reputation and lack of competition and providing an ever lower standard until they become, quite frankly, a liability. Do they no longer employ a single court reporter? Seemingly not.

Somehow this company need to be persuaded to either invest and deliver a half decent regional paper, or just **** off. By lingering on like this they are stopping alternatives from starting up and thriving (they have brand recognition, distribution channels, established advertisers so can survive despite being shit, just living off the fat of intertia and brand) but they simply aren't doing the basics.

This is the Echo online front page this evening:

Liverpool Local News

Royal Collection handout photo of Angela Kelly working on an outfit for the Queen, which is featured in a new book, Dressing The Queen: The Jubilee Wardrobe, by the Queen's personal assistant, adviser and curator, Angela Kelly.
Queen’s wardrobe secrets revealed by Liverpool-born personal assistant Angela Kelly Nov 05 2012

SECRETS of the Queen’s wardrobe were revealed in a new book by her Liverpool-born personal assistant Angela Kelly.Read
Sefton snow difficulties
Temperature drops in Merseyside, but see our gallery of real winter weather Nov 05 2012

THE WEATHER in Liverpool and Merseyside has taken a turn for the worse today, with sunny skies heralding a drop in temperature and the first frosts of the year.Read
The Museum of Liverpool helped mark the 30th anniversary since the first screening of Channel 4 soap Brookside with a question and answers session, which was hosted by Pete Price and featured the show's creator Prof Phil Redmond CBE, as well as actors Dean Sullivan and Claire Sweeney, plus one of the writers, Peter Cox, who wrote 227 episodes between 1986 and 2003. Pictured, left to right, Pete Price, Peter Cox, Claire Sweeney, Dean Sullivan and Phil Redmond
Brookside stars enjoy a day of nostalgia to mark 30 years since soap burst onto screen Nov 05 2012

BROOKSIDE’S former stars led the celebrations at a day of nostalgia to mark the iconic Merseyside soap’s 30th anniversary.Read
Tributes paid to brave Wirral councillor Anne McArdle, 'an indefatigable fighter for social justice' Nov 05 2012

TRIBUTES were paid today to “an indefatigable fighter for social justice” who lost her battle with cancer.Read
VIDEO: Liverpool FC star Jamie Carragher unveils Hillsborough mural at LFC fans’ pub, the Twelfth Man Nov 05 2012

LIVERPOOL FC star Jamie Carragher unveiled a new memorial dedicated to the 96 victims of the Hillsborough disaster.Read
Family of Liverpool murder victim Lisa Hoolahan speak out to warn others of dangers of domestic violence Nov 05 2012

DEVASTATED relatives of a young woman murdered by a older man she had known for just six weeks today broke their silence in a bid to encourage domestic violence victims to seek help.Read
Dionne Warwick
Emeli Sande leads Mobo Awards 2012 honours in Liverpool (VIDEO, GALLERIES) Nov 05 2012

STARS of screen, sport, music and TV gathered in Liverpool for the 17th Annual MOBO Awards at a packed Echo Arena.Read
Melanie and Steve Jones pictured where the community centre and 5 a side pitches will be built in memory of their son Rhys. Boys from North Park Football Club will benefit from the centre as will plenty of other children in the area..
Parents of Rhys Jones launch building work for sports centre in his memory Nov 05 2012

THE parents of murdered Liverpool schoolboy Rhys Jones launched work on a community and sports centre in his memory.Read
Andy Burnham on Hillsborough: A darkness has been lifted - Liverpool is now seen in a new light Nov 05 2012

LIVERPOOL-BORN shadow secretary of state for health Andy Burnham penned this thought- provoking piece on the journey the Hillsborough truth campaign has taken from the day of the disaster on April 15, 1989, to the explosive revelations of the Hillsborough Independent Panel and how it has changed perceptions of the cityRead
Birkenhead Institute “old boys” seek last Remembrance service at Ingleborough by Tranmere Rovers redevelopment begins Nov 05 2012

OLD Boys from a school whose memorial playing fields could be turned into a housing estate are seeking "one last chance" to lay poppies there on Remembrance Sunday.Read
Mel C to join Lawson, The Wombats, Liz McClarnon and Esco Williams at first Liverpool Music Awards Nov 05 2012

SPICE Girl Melanie C today announced she will appear at the inaugural Liverpool Music Awards.Read
Scott Sheard’s family face more turmoil in fight for justice Nov 05 2012

THE family of a man left brain damaged after being punched outside a nightclub have once again been told there will be no prosecution.Read
Kirkby Sports College pupils to try turban tying as part of cultural community workshop Nov 05 2012

MERSEYSIDE pupils could try everything from martial arts to turban tying as part of a new community project.Read
Phone box ban for convicted Liverpool drug dealers Phillip Savin and Jeffrey Lamb Nov 05 2012

TWO convicted city drug dealers face a string of tough conditions when they are finally released from jail.Read
Desperate Dogs Tobi, Jasper and Holly
Can you give a home to these Desperate Dogs? Nov 05 2012

THREE Yorkshire Terriers are searching for a new home together.Read
Wirral Against The Cuts political group to relaunch Nov 05 2012

A POLITICAL organisation set up in Wirral almost four years ago to campaign against library closures and budget cuts is set to be revived.Read
Gran backs lung cancer awareness Nov 05 2012

A FORMBY gran and lung cancer survivor is supporting Lung Cancer Awareness Month in November.Read
Firecrew come to aid of Kirkby tot who got potty stuck on his head Nov 03 2012

A FIRECREW had to come to the aid of a toddler in distress after he got a potty stuck on his head.Read
MOBO founder Kanya King at the launch of the MOBO's in Liverpool in November.
The Mobo Awards 2012 - reread our updates from the Liverpool Echo Arena Nov 03 2012

LIVERPOOL hosts the MOBO Awards 2012 at the Echo Arena, with a host of the music worlds biggest stars coming along.Read
Attorney General recognises 'additional urgency' Hillsborough mum Anne Williams' cancer brings for son Kevin's inquest Nov 03 2012

HILLSBOROUGH mum Anne Williams’ hopes for a speedy inquest into her son’s death have been boosted with the Attorney General saying he recognises the “additional urgency” her terminal cancer brings.Read

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/#ixzz2BNw1waBp

#5,704 ·
The sad case of Miss Varley has been well covered by the Echo already. They don't need to issue a court report every day and I am sure they will return to it, definitely at its conclusion and probably well before. Note that the Mail's story was filed this evening after today's court proceedings and the Echo is a morning newspaper. The nasty spin put on the story by the Mail's headline is a clue to their interest in proceedings. In fact I would be surprised if the Echo doesn't report on the case tomorrow and think it would be to their credit if they let it lie a bit.

#5,705 ·
There is always far more in the actual echo or post than in the online version. They want don't want to give the whole thing away for free.
But the Post and Echo, unusually amongst regional papers, will have a particularly strong market who will not be buying the paper version at all because they live outside the circulation area. That is one asset going for them, and one silver lining of the huge population loss of the past 40 years. So how are they monetising the interests of that market? Since they don't dare try to charge me (and that is wise, given the lack of any content currently) they could and should be making money by advertising.

Of all the sites I visit, only the Post and Echo sites don't load properly first time. It's so typical of them. Manchester Evening News, which I also visit online regularly, always loads perfectly first time. I often get an error message and blank page and have to refresh to connect to the Echo or Daily Post. You wonder how many bother refreshing, and just what it is in the air or in the water in Liverpool that people draw big salaries (the same as in other cities) but won't provide a proper service.

#5,706 ·
The sad case of Miss Varley has been well covered by the Echo already. They don't need to issue a court report every day and I am sure they will return to it, definitely at its conclusion and probably well before. Note that the Mail's story was filed this evening after today's court proceedings and the Echo is a morning newspaper. The nasty spin put on the story by the Mail's headline is a clue to their interest in proceedings. In fact I would be surprised if the Echo doesn't report on the case tomorrow and think it would be to their credit if they let it lie a bit.
News is news. It's not supposed to be nice. The Echo is full of scouseland hogwash and need to become a newspaper again. They don't seem to have news values. I can only read the echo, an evening paper, in the evening, and online. So it's no use to me if they don't tell me the news.

#5,708 ·
The editor of the Echo was on Radio Merseyside with Roger Phillips on 2nd November and a caller pulled him re the crime stories, his reply was just reporting what's going on, not being unduly negative. Caller says there's lots of positives being buried in the paper, yet all the advert boards and headlines are about crime and what impression does this give to visitors. Phillips got a researcher to run a check and it came back that 27 of the last 31 front pages were crime related. Since then, the 3rd and 5th have been as well, and tomorrow's coming the night after bonnie night is bound too as well. It makes it hard to believe there isn't an agenda by them.

#5,709 ·
The agenda is there obviously but it is probably nothing more sinister than that, in a era of declining circulations, the shock-horror crime stories are what the paper's editor editor will sell copies. Like other local newspapers, the Echo is quite likely on the way out.

#5,710 ·
But the Post and Echo, unusually amongst regional papers, will have a particularly strong market who will not be buying the paper version at all because they live outside the circulation area. That is one asset going for them, and one silver lining of the huge population loss of the past 40 years. So how are they monetising the interests of that market? Since they don't dare try to charge me (and that is wise, given the lack of any content currently) they could and should be making money by advertising.

Of all the sites I visit, only the Post and Echo sites don't load properly first time. It's so typical of them. Manchester Evening News, which I also visit online regularly, always loads perfectly first time. I often get an error message and blank page and have to refresh to connect to the Echo or Daily Post. You wonder how many bother refreshing, and just what it is in the air or in the water in Liverpool that people draw big salaries (the same as in other cities) but won't provide a proper service.
The M.E.N always sold less than the Echo. The Echo costs 50p. The M.E.N has been given away for free for years. It was never anywhere near as important locally as the ECHO, which I concede has declined hugley since it moved to Oldham. That girls death is a new story for the Mail, whereas the Echo reported it massivley at the time and will again I am certain.

#5,711 ·
Since printing moved to Chadderton I suppose you mean. Unless something else has happened from a geographical point of view to their news operation.

I note that the editorial staff of the MEN are now hunkered down the charmless environment of the Chadderton plant. Do they now contribute content for the Echo as well as the MEN and other Trinity NW2 papers?

#5,712 ·
Liverpool daily is named best of the North West

The Liverpool Echo was praised for its “fierce loyalty to its readers” as it was named the North West’s top daily newspaper last night.

The Trinity Mirror title won the big prize at the annual 02 Media Awards for the region, overcoming competition from the Bolton News, Blackpool Gazette and Carlisle News & Star.

Echo journalists Paddy Shennan and Dan Kay were also named Feature Writer of the Year and Multi Media Journalist of the Year respectively as the paper collected a hat-trick of trophies.
Continues >>

#5,715 ·
#5,716 ·
#5,717 · (Edited)
Why is it you consider him to be anti-Liverpool?
For the reasons I outlined above. He personally championed a frankly preposterous scheme (much favoured by Government, and he was then plain Mr Hall, by the way) to build an out-station of the Royal Opera House in Manchester. Government commissioned research into this which found that the plans were going to be seriously damaging to lyric theatre (eg opera, dance) in Liverpool and Leeds. And, even worse, because Liverpool was enslaved within "englandsnorthwest", it meant that other Liverpool arts institutions (eg the RLPO) were going to be starved to pay for a hugely hungry and loss-making opera house, because arts funding was "regionalised".

Tony Hall pushed ahead, and it was only because Government itself just couldn't and wouldn't pay for such a mad scheme that it came to nothing. He didn't amend or alter his grand plan even with evidence it was going to damage the arts in Liverpool, and damage Liverpool's important culture-led regeneration.

In so doing, he showed his hand. He is anti-Liverpool. He was prepared to pursue his own agenda at the cost of Liverpool. His agenda was bad for Liverpool.

So, in a sense, he is perfectly qualified to be head of the Liverpool-hating BBC. And yes, I know where he was born, and it means nothing.....it's what you do in life that counts, not where you are born.

Edited: an interview with him in which he claims the idea, not just championing it - and he is quite unrepentant, sounds like he'd try to do Liverpool down again if given the opportunity.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...y-Hall-interview-Am-I-worth-it-I-hope-so.html

"Hall still loves the BBC – “I couldn’t conceive of a world without it” – and recently visited the new site at Salford. “I think it’s absolutely the right thing to do. People’s attitudes towards the North are wrong. The thought of being able to work there with all those assets is terrific.”

Would you move the ROH to Salford, I sort of joke. “Well actually, I did have an idea for a Royal Opera House Manchester. I think that national institutions need to have roots outside London. But post the new government and the cuts it was, how do I put it, a little controversial, not the environment [for it].”

What about in the future? “Five, six, seven years from now, maybe. I think that would be a good thing.”

As I say, we have to keep an eye on him, he could be a problem for Liverpool and its prosperity.

#5,719 ·
How exactly? The BBC has already moved to Manchester, it can hardly move again.
Well actually it (the BBC) can move again, nothing is fixed forever. But his point in the interview seems to concern the ROH. He was unrepentant about this ludicrous idea that would have caused such harm to Liverpool, and even implies that its time may come again in some years. If that absurd and dangerous plan ever emerges again, it will be need to be opposed again - it wasn't just a lack of cash that killed his mad scheme, it was real doubts about the sense and fairness of the plan.

#5,720 ·
Well actually it (the BBC) can move again, nothing is fixed forever. But his point in the interview seems to concern the ROH. He was unrepentant about this ludicrous idea that would have caused such harm to Liverpool, and even implies that its time may come again in some years. If that absurd and dangerous plan ever emerges again, it will be need to be opposed again - it wasn't just a lack of cash that killed his mad scheme, it was real doubts about the sense and fairness of the plan.
Opera in Manchester lol!! that would be doomed to fail.