daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Lebanon > Architecture, Infrastructure, and Urban Issues

Old March 12th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #1
-Zippo-
Carburetor (Busy) ▼

Likes (Received): 2

Lebanon on Google Earth: 3D Modelling

I decided to start a new thread for Beirut and Lebanon 3D models for Google Earth, because the other one's title wasn't completely relevant to it's content, and so we, modelers, can post our work in progress, in order for other forumers to give their comments/suggestions/help/ideas/infos on the model.

The modelers in this thread can (maybe should ) help each other by providing help concerning missing pictures, ideas, technical help, improvement and optimization thoughts, as well as future projects plan to avoid conflicts and improve coordination.

Lebanese and foreign forumers as well are invited to participate by providing help and ideas to the modelers.

Sponsored Links

Old March 12th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #2
melkart
مستخدم مسجل

Likes (Received): 1

- Ok I'll start I am currently working on the Parliament House in Nejmeh Square. (need Photos of the back)

- Also working on the Maghen Abraham Synagogue. I need photos of the side., and maybe some current photos of the exterior that shows the renovated facades.
melkart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #3
-Zippo-
Carburetor (Busy) ▼

I am working on 3 projects in parallel:

-the pigeons rock (Al Raouche)
-the Armenian church in DT
-new: the new lighthouse (manara)

I already have enough data for each project, what am missing is...time (and it's the weekend , so keep an eye on the thread)
Old March 12th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Likes (Received): 5

St.George model is fixed, go check it out
Abdallah K. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #5
-Zippo-
Carburetor (Busy) ▼

melkart, while i was looking for pix for my projects, i came across good ones that may help u all, urs is this one:

I hope it helps. courtesy of Brian McMorrow.

I also found a surprise for YM that am fixing now...
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #6
melkart
مستخدم مسجل

That's the best side image so far! thanx I won't even ask how you came across that.
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #7
MARTYR
جنوبي حر

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Zippo- View Post

-the Armenian church in DT
which church ???? the one next to the serial or the one on martyrs square ???
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #8
Young-Modeler2.0
If I may add!

Well guys: Here is what Im modeling right now:

-The famous office building in Rawshe (the one Melkart said it is an emple of Modern Archi. in the 50's I need photos of the back though desperately!)

-Monroe Hotel

-4 seasons Hotel

-Beirut Tower

-The Ottoman Military Hospital in BCD (which I cant find any damn good photo of)

-Spinneys in Beirut

-A small bassketball stadium in Tripoli (Melkart the one you recomended but I cant find photos of, I have completed the stands but the sides still no photos)

-ESCWA Building (which I'm willing to pass on considering I dont have enough photos of the back of it and it would be better if a more experienced 3d modeler like melkart or Zippo take over )

-Manara Tower

-DUNES Verdun

-Burj Hammoud stadium (almost commpletely untextured, searching desperately for photos)

-Cafeteria in Lebanese Univesity

-Tennis Stadiumm in Lebanese University (need photos of the sides or even 1 side)

I know thats quite a handful, Im also in the procces of modeling other irrelevant residential buildings)

So anyone has any ideas or suggestions or possible takeovers be my guest

Tell the Devil that he can go back from where he came, his fire he arrows through their breathing vein, and when the hardest part is over we'll be here, and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..
Young-Modeler2.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #9
3alisha

Likes (Received): 0

Hello again

Thank you all for your warm welcomes.

just have some technical questions before starting to work on a particular model...

1-what is the maximum tolerated polygon count ?

2-what is the maximum texture size/resolution/dpi ?

3-what can i start modeling ? or shall i improvise ?

Tell me about any detail which can be important to stick to.

(if it is not hard... contact me via e-mail : 3alisha@iplusstd.com)
3alisha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #10
Tabouleh
LBN

Likes (Received): 3

Hey everyone!!! I have been absent for a while not posting, was in a quite busy period! I am soo impressed by the 3D models!!!!! And even happier that the modelers are here on this forum! This is just great!!! I was wondering if it was difficult to model? I would like to help but I have no idea how to except for while I use to model stuff on the simcity 4 building creator. Is there a resource that you would recommend?? Also I would love to see the following buildings get modeled:

1) the highrises in ain el mraisseh near the coast would add some height
2) the maronite cathedral near the Hariri mosque ( would be great to show how close the church and mosque really are!)
3)the achrafieh highrise projects! and the glass areas up the hill from gemayzeh
4) verdun area

Oh heck if I knew how I would model all of Beirut LOL!

GREAT GREAT JOB YOU GUYS!!!! KEEP IT UP!!!!
Tabouleh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #11
MARTYR
جنوبي حر

Likes (Received): 25

no plans for saida YM ????
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #12
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

me and YM did discuss once the possibility of doing the Saida Sea Castle but im not sure who is willing to do it
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #13
melkart
مستخدم مسجل

Tabouleh the first thing that I would do is to dwnld google sketch-up first. Get familiar with it. It's very easy to use. Than ask us for specific questions and we'll be happy to help.
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #14
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabouleh View Post
Hey everyone!!! I have been absent for a while not posting, was in a quite busy period! I am soo impressed by the 3D models!!!!! And even happier that the modelers are here on this forum! This is just great!!! I was wondering if it was difficult to model? I would like to help but I have no idea how to except for while I use to model stuff on the simcity 4 building creator. Is there a resource that you would recommend?? Also I would love to see the following buildings get modeled:
Its actually relatively simple, I was able to learn it after a few tries by watching some videos on YouTube and taking some advice from others. Before January I had absolutely no idea how to model, but I managed to learn. Im sure you would learn very quickly because of some background experience with Simcity just go download google sketshup and experiment around
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #15
Young-Modeler2.0
If I may add!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabouleh View Post
1) the highrises in ain el mraisseh near the coast would add some height
2) the maronite cathedral near the Hariri mosque ( would be great to show how close the church and mosque really are!)
3)the achrafieh highrise projects! and the glass areas up the hill from gemayzeh
4) verdun area

Oh heck if I knew how I would model all of Beirut LOL!

GREAT GREAT JOB YOU GUYS!!!! KEEP IT UP!!!!

1- I have modeled 2 buildings there that are relatively highrise (Coral & Bahri I)
2-Zippo I think said that he was wanting to model it.
3-I have modeled the Rizk Tower in Ashrafiyeh, I would love to model some more if I have enough photos -Im sure others will help too.
4-I am in the procces of Modeling DUNES shopping mall, in addition to some buildings around it.

Also, like Melkart Said it is very easy to use, the most user friendly CAD app out there. I guess it would ake you a couple of hours to understand the basics, and a couple of days to understand the tricks and the loop-holes. It is very stress relieving I reckon you should give it a try....

Martyr: I think I created a model of the Saida Marine Fort, but I do not think it is well completed for GE, I recommend asking one of the big guys to do it, if they have the time of course ! (Zippo or Melkart)

Tell the Devil that he can go back from where he came, his fire he arrows through their breathing vein, and when the hardest part is over we'll be here, and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Last edited by Young-Modeler2.0; March 12th, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #16
Young-Modeler2.0
If I may add!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3alisha View Post
Hello again

Thank you all for your warm welcomes.

just have some technical questions before starting to work on a particular model...

1-what is the maximum tolerated polygon count ?

2-what is the maximum texture size/resolution/dpi ?

3-what can i start modeling ? or shall i improvise ?

Tell me about any detail which can be important to stick to.

(if it is not hard... contact me via e-mail : 3alisha@iplusstd.com)

If you would keep your face count under 1000 that would be great. But as a maximum you could use up to 5000-6000 faces (and thats really pushing it). Of course, when modeling for Google Earth you should always keep efficiency in mind, letting the textures do most of the work. Also, regarding to texture size, I recomend using 700x560 pixels images for starters, but if you feel that is not enough feel free to use bigger sizes (but no super large images). You have to remember to keep the model as light as you can, the less faces the better(with the Google Team) cuz all they care about is how fast does it render in GE. Remember, any model more than 10 MB wont upload to the 3d warehouse, and if the model is rated "complex" on the meter they provide for you it is likely to "fail proccesing" before finally getting it accepted. If you want to start modeling, you cant start right away, providing you have "Sketchup", Google Earth, & the photos of the building you want to model. Also, please provide a lot of metadata to describe your model intrestingly.

Finally, welcome aboard !! It will be a pleasure having you with us !

Old March 12th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #17
Young-Modeler2.0
If I may add!

Abdallah, I just checked out your SG hotel model - It is surely looking great !

I just have a few notes on it that would make it even more great than it is right now !!

Here are my suggestions, remember they are just suggestions you are in no way obliged to do this:

-The back side of the hotel could be better if you pushed the lower floors in this manner:

-Also the inner fence of the balconies are not textured:

-Also the floors on the balconies are untextured:

-The roofs of the balconies are looking also white, while another is textured, keep it consistent :P:P

-The front side is not extruded:

-U did not notice the top:

Remember it is only up to you. I totally get it if you think it is OK the way it is, and it is OK It is surely one of your best Abdallah ! You can do this whenever you want, whenever you have the time

Old March 12th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #18
Young-Modeler2.0
If I may add!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Zippo- View Post
I also found a surprise for YM that am fixing now...
What surprise? Cant wait :P

Old March 12th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #19
Abdallah K.
Under the Beirut Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young-Modeler2.0 View Post
Abdallah, I just checked out your SG hotel model - It is surely looking great !

I just have a few notes on it that would make it even more great than it is right now !!
I put textures on the interior of the balcony
I fixed the back of the hotel (by shortening it)
Old March 13th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #20
-Zippo-
Carburetor (Busy) ▼

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTYR View Post
which church ???? the one next to the serial or the one on martyrs square ???
sorry MARTYR for not clarifying which one, i thought it was discussed before in the other thread...anyway, it the Saint Elie Armenian Catholic Church, and here's the pictures:

and a good view:

Last edited by -Zippo-; March 13th, 2010 at 01:40 AM.
-Zippo- no está en línea   Reply With Quote