daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Mainland China Forum 中国论坛 > Culture & Heritage/文化与遗产

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:56 AM   #1
mopc
USP

Likes (Received): 6424

Time units in ancient China

When did China start using the 24 hour system? I heard that before 1600 China divided the day in 100 ke of 14.4 minutes, or other decimal systems. What about the seven day week, when was it adopted in China? Were there weeks before?
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:24 AM   #2
Sen

Likes (Received): 15

according to chinese calendar each year has 360 days, each month 30 days, and everymonth 3 "weeks", it's called 上旬,中旬,下旬。

each day had 24 hours, same length as a western day, the difference is that we only had 12 hours, and each hour is equivalent to 2 modern hours, each hour is designated by an animal. for example, the 12 animals are the same animals from chiense horoscopes, (rooster, dog, dragon etc).

子时,午时,丑时,辰时。

the seven week schedule is probably adopted the same time western calendar was adopted, around the establishment of Republic of China i believe, oddly enough most Chinese consider monday to be the beginning of the week, not sunday.
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:29 AM   #3
Pangu
中華民國

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen
...oddly enough most Chinese consider monday to be the beginning of the week, not sunday.
Why is that odd? Until I came into the U.S. and met some hard-core Christians, I've always believed, and still believe, that Monday is the beginning of the week.

Sunday is part of the "weekend" no? That would make Monday the first day of the week. It's the first work day.

In Chinese, Monday is 星期一, as in "weekday 1".
Pangu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:42 AM   #4
mopc
USP

Likes (Received): 6424

But when was that 12 hour system adopted? I ask because we in the West have this 12-base system due to ancient babylonian division of the sky in 12 constellations. They had this 12 system because of the twelve sections of the fingers minus thumb. Did the ancient chinese develop the same system by coincidence?
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:44 AM   #5
Sen

Likes (Received): 15

i dont know, as far as i know, the 12 hour system is quite old.
Sen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #6
arockia

Likes (Received): 0

i want to know about the concept of time in ancient china.
arockia no está en línea   Reply With Quote