daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Middle East > Local Forums > Lebanon > Architecture, Infrastructure, and Urban Issues

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #1
ramynasser

Likes (Received): 11

#Under Study: Bridge between Lebanon and Cyprus

A U.S. based company presented a project to connect Cyprus to Lebanon with a 150km highway/bridge from Dbayeh to Limassol. Drivers can reach Cyprus from Lebanon within 80 minutes. Passengers between the two countries will pay a fee to use the bridge between the two countries and will be a great opportunity to promote tourism and bilateral economic ties.
The proposal also suggests that after 10 years from implementing the project the bridge will be owned by Lebanon and Cyprus. The project will also include a path for ships, similar to the bridge between KSA and Bahrain which is 14 times larger than the proposed highway between Lebanon and Cyprus.
[IMG]http://www.********************/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/944503_657020984313926_2143509599_n.jpg[/IMG]

source : http://www.********************/news/...us-to-lebanon/
and several other medias including LBC

Last edited by ramynasser; May 11th, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
ramynasser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 11th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #2
KarimBouramia

Likes (Received): 0

The government should start off by asking the US company to propose a bridge connecting Lebanon to Lebanon... if we could have the same idea along the coastal line, with connections to the interior, that would be great !
Good bye traffic !
KarimBouramia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #3
ramynasser

true that... however this bridge has nothing to do with the lebanese government. By that i mean it will be funded by the US company and then you pay a fee to cross it for 10 years. Then it will be owned by both governments. So basically they are building it for free ... this project was proposed long time ago however i am not really sure about it's credibility i mean 150km ??? the tallest bridge in the world is the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway in New Orleans, USA with a total length of 38,6 km (24 miles)

Last edited by ramynasser; May 11th, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #4
melkart
مستخدم مسجل

Likes (Received): 1

All this money to connect a tiny country with another tiny country how is this economically justified? Sounds like a bad idea!
melkart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 184

I KNOW this project wont happen because of many reasons:

1. Cyprus is in a terrible financial state; Its just found a way to pay off its European debt.
2. The bridge will cost too much
3. Lebanon cant fund the bridge because of its high cost
4. Economically not feasible (will never make a profit)
5. Israel
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #6
lebz06

Likes (Received): 4

Also, i'm quite sure that legally they can't have this going through international waters, which it will need to. Saudi Arabia and Bahrain are so close that the bridge between them stays within their territorial waters.
lebz06 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #7
wissarb

Likes (Received): 70

******************** can be quite the attention wh****. The bridge post follows an earlier similar attempt with a 'Cedar island in Jounieh bay' post..
No source referrenced, not to mention I have come across some ridiciliously absurd postings by BNL on FB.
wissarb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #8
AmeriLEB

Likes (Received): 14

Hmm the whole article does not make sense..The King Fahd causeway is 25km long. How is that bridge 14x ? Maybe they meant the opposite.I also want to say that Lebanon and Cyprus have touching exclusive economic zones. They have the right to exploit them.
AmeriLEB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #9
ramynasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
I KNOW this project wont happen because of many reasons:

1. Cyprus is in a terrible financial state; Its just found a way to pay off its European debt.
2. The bridge will cost too much
3. Lebanon cant fund the bridge because of its high cost
4. Economically not feasible (will never make a profit)
5. Israel
i said earlier it will be built by the american company the lebanese and cy[riot government will not pay anything. Once done you pay a fee for 10 years to cross the bridge and that's how they will earn their money back.

Halawala liked this post
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramynasser View Post
i said earlier it will be built by the american company the lebanese and cy[riot government will not pay anything. Once done you pay a fee for 10 years to cross the bridge and that's how they will earn their money back.
OK sorry I missed that part by the American company.

However, still, it is economically not viable. There will never be enough traffic generated to sustain profitabiity.

Look at the "proposed" bridge between Qatar and Bahrain. It took them 20 years talking about the idea, including making designs and in still to this day it has not seen daylight.

Its all political. With the resentment of the Cypriot government due to the Euro crisis and the instablity of the Lebanese political scene, it would be extremely difficult to get the go-ahead for this project.

Although, from a personal point of view-- IT IS A WORK OF ART AND A GREAT IDEA.
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #11
AmeriLEB

Likes (Received): 14

Would be amazing if then connected to turkey/greece.. as long as im dreaming an elevated train

Last edited by AmeriLEB; May 13th, 2013 at 05:11 AM.
AmeriLEB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #12
ramynasser

This project is in my opinion unapplicable. It's benefit to cost ratio is very low i suppose...
Old June 17th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #13
BridgeAcrossForever

Likes (Received): 4

Not only in anyone's opinion is it not applicable. It would be technically more feasible to build, for example, a bridge between Morocco and Spain, through the Gibraltar strait. Thing is, between Lebanon and Cyprus, the sea can go up to 1,200 meters deep: can you imagine a 1,200 meter pole, or at the best case scenario, a 900 meter pole, being built and carrying this bridge?
And no sea bridge to this day, exists, which is that long (160 km!!!). The bridge between Saudi Arabia and Bahrain is over a relatively shallow sea of maximum 20 or 30 meters, and it's 25 km long, not 160 km. ,
This is either just one of those rumors which often circulate (like there was once a story about some 12-star hotel in the middle of the sea off Beirut's shore, with pictures of a concept for a building in Dubai), or the guys from this so-called American company, smoked something before making this proposition.
BridgeAcrossForever no está en línea   Reply With Quote