daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Toronto > Development Archive

Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:30 AM   #1
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 217

AGO Transformation | Complete | Downtown

So is there a thread on the Art Gallery already? Can't seem to find any. Anyways, this project is underway. Too lazy to find any final renders....

November 16, 2005

Sponsored Links

Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:15 AM   #2
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 4

Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:18 AM   #3
West@East_Coast

Likes (Received): 0

Its going to be great!
West@East_Coast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:33 AM   #4
SD

Likes (Received):

I still think it looks pretty bad...the exterior, anyways.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:17 PM   #5
rakesh

Likes (Received): 7

I like the design. It's different, and variety is what T.O. needs.
rakesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:25 PM   #6
zerokarma

Likes (Received): 9

From this angle view I think it looks retarded:

zerokarma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:37 PM   #7
Mechie

I like it too
Mechie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 06:51 PM   #8
Buster

Likes (Received): 1

Great from the front but it obnoxiously looms over the Grange.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 07:52 PM   #9
Are Be
BANNED

It's unjustifiable that they are tearing down a practically brand new building to make way for this! Why not save as much of the new building as possible? After all, tax receipts were issued to those who donated to have the building built in the first place-- and it's by a world famous architect! As tax receipts were issued, all taxpayers, admittedly indirectly, help pay for the about -to -be -torn -down new building. Further, there is no doubt that the province chipped in a bit of money as well. Hey, I hate this AGO barn and think it's a piece of crap - thought so from the start. But, at least it's paid for! Save it! Take the AGO to the sidewalk- Build around it, through it, above it, but save as much of it as possible! It's damn new!

It's darn well irresponsible for a public gallery to write off a brand new car and damned a new one!

Questions:
1, Will it be "on time and on budget?"
2, How long before a condo sneaks into this (to help pay for it)?
3, Will there be a backlash about tearing down a brand new building? (Or, has the backlash already occurred-- see the split and internal spat that broke out when the design first came out -- where benefactors who paid for the mid 1990's building were justifiably furious)

Last edited by Are Be; November 22nd, 2005 at 07:57 PM.
Are Be no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 10:48 PM   #10
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 278

I really like it, both front and back.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:49 PM   #11
Travis007

Likes (Received): 52

I love the glassy exterior on Dundas street. A great improvement over the current hockey arena/barn facade. I think the box portion looks rather average but Grange Park would look very interesting with views of OCAD and this.
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:47 AM   #12
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 8

I love it .
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 02:52 AM   #13
algonquin

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD
I still think it looks pretty bad...the exterior, anyways.
I completely agree. I saw schemes put out through the design process, and all I'll say is that they should have stopped well before it came to this.
a report prepared by Standard & Poor's in May stating that there were 83 high-rise buildings under construction in Toronto that month — far more than Boston, San Francisco, Atlanta, Miami, and Chicago, and surpassed only by 124 buildings in New York.

my trip to Spain - Part 1
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 03:31 AM   #14
KGB

Likes (Received): 43

Barton Myers is pissed I'm sure, but it really was crap pomo, and sometimes you need to amputate, regardless of what it costs or who gets pissed off....this is one of those times.

Tacking on another architect's work would have been one too many (AGO is basically add-ons all the way from the old Grange house from 1817 ). Just as important as big names and facades, is the fact that the interior needed a complete overhaul.

I'm really glad he got away from the titanium/Bilbao look for AGO....it would have just been so derivative at this point. This bent wood/glass look is more of his earlier influence, and is actually more "Canadian" looking. It reminds me of his bent wood chairs for Knoll named after hockey terms.

My guess is people would have just cried "copy" if it were another Bilbao, but people will be talking about this one as a breath of fresh air from him (and yes...it's all about Frank...you didn't think it wouldn't be did you? ).

"How long before a condo sneaks into this (to help pay for it)? "

Hey....when you have Ken Thomson, you don't need condos.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 06:25 AM   #15
Are Be
BANNED

KGB, I agree that the AGO barn is crap. But it is so new! It's hard to justify tearing it down so soon after construction. Save some of it!
What happens in 10 years to the current design? Do we tear it down because it has an ugly ass- end overlooking the park? Or do we say, "Hey! It's a Ghery!"
Old November 25th, 2005, 07:36 AM   #16
KGB

Likes (Received): 43

"It's hard to justify tearing it down so soon after construction. "

It's very easy...they simply made a mistake. And they decided to fix it. Sometimes mistakes cost ya big to fix....doesn't always mean you don't do it.

Those 80's kitchens work perfectly fine....and look like shit. That's why people change them.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #17
Are Be
BANNED

Could they be making a mistake again?
Perhaps the mid 1990's crapy barn the wolrd famous Barton Myers designed is a reflection of the period in which it was built-- perhaps an art gallery, if it is a hodge - podge of styles and various buildings- should preserve even horrbile expansions, such as the barn (that people went on and on about how great this piece of crap is.)

The AGO is gong to look to slash costs, of that there is no doubt! So, let's slash by saving as much of the shitty barn as possible! Build the glass canopy from the shit barn! Go to the sidewalk! Build the AGO from corner to corner aong Dundas! JUST SAVE THIS LOUSY BARN!
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #18
rapideye95
Technology Pro

Likes (Received): 1

"""""Just as important as big names and facades, is the fact that the interior needed a complete overhaul.""""""

No doubt...it has had one too many facelifts...i would rather see the whole thing demolished
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #19
mdm_toronto

if the AGO built this extension so soon after the Barn, it is also becasue they had take take advance of the Prov.-Fed. capital program... They won't come back with that much money before long and one of the requirement was to have your building done by 2008. I totally agree that it might be a waste but (a) the barn was shit from the beginning and (b) AGO had to take advantage of the money from the Conservative gvt when it was available (remember that this came after years of cuts in operating funding by the Harris gvt).
mdm_toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #20
Are Be
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapideye95
"""""Just as important as big names and facades, is the fact that the interior needed a complete overhaul.""""""

No doubt...it has had one too many facelifts...i would rather see the whole thing demolished
1. But why not save this mid 1990's Myers shit? Is the Ghery not also shit?
2. Why redo all the interior? Redo part of it? OK. Assign new uses to what is built? Sure. Tear down and redo all of it? NO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm_toronto
if the AGO built this extension so soon after the Barn, it is also because they had take take advance of the Prov.-Fed. capital program... They won't come back with that much money before long and one of the requirement was to have your building done by 2008. I totally agree that it might be a waste but (a) the barn was shit from the beginning and (b) AGO had to take advantage of the money from the Conservative gvt when it was available (remember that this came after years of cuts in operating funding by the Harris gvt).
By all means, grab the cash when it's on the table! But let's face facts: The project will need to be cheaped out- so given that, let's cheap out by saving as much of this crappie barn as possible.

Why replace the crap Myers with shit Ghery? ?
That is to ask: Why replace one mistake with another?

Last edited by Are Be; November 25th, 2005 at 06:46 PM.