SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Pražské metro | Prague Metro

Tags
metro
407K views 901 replies 153 participants last post by  slecnatynka 
#1 · (Edited)
This thread is about Prague's metro (subway) current extensions.

Introduction:
The Prague Metro system is 59.3 km long with 57 stations and includes three basic lines forming a triangle in the city centre with tunnels very deep below street level.

The first section of line C (red) (north-south, 22.7 km) was opened between Sokolovská (now Florenc) and Kačerov in 1974. This line continued to Háje in the south in 1980 and crossed the Vltava river to Holešovice in 1984. Most stations have a central platform, but not Hlavní nádraží (Central Rail Station) and Vyšehrad (situated inside the motorway bridge crossing the Nusle valley). Construction of a 3.9 km line C extension from Nádraží Holešovice to Ládví began in Sept. 2000 and was completed in June 2004. The line crosses under the Vltava river and there is one intermediate station at Kobylisy. Construction of another 4.6km line C extension from Ládví to Letňany began in spring 2004 and was opened in May 2008. There are two intermediate stations, Střížkov and Prosek. Letňany is the future location of the Prague Fairgrounds.

The western branch of line A (green) (east-west, 10.9 km) (Nám. Míru-Dejvická) was opened in 1978 and until 1990 it reached its final station Skalka. Hradčanská and Staroměstská were restored in 1997/98. In May 2006, line A was extended by one station (1 km) from Skalka to Depo Hostivař, taking advantage of the tracks leading to the Hostivař depot in that location. The new terminus is served by every other train.

The newest is line B (yellow) (25.8 km). The city section between Florenc and Smíchovské nádraží opened in 1985, a first extension to the south-western suburbs in Nové Butovice opened in 1988. The line grew to the north-east (Českomoravská) in 1990, and finally in 1994 to the south-western terminus at Zličín. This section is not very deep and some station use daylight. Between Hůrka and Lužiny there is an artificial science-fiction-like bridge tunnel. The easternmost section to Černý Most opened with 3 stations on 9 Nov 1998 (Vysočanská, Rajská zahrada, Černý Most). On 15 Oct. 1999 an intermediate station was opened to the public, Hloubětín. One more station, Kolbenova was built between Vysočanská and Hloubětín, it finally opened on 8 June 2001.

Here is up-to-date map:

Mid to long term projects include 2 new lines and extensions of the existing line A:
Line D - Vysočanská - Hl. Nadraží - Nám. Míru - Pankrác - south
Line A - extension on west end from Dejvická: Červený vrch - Veleslavín - Petřiny - Motol - Bílá Hora - Dědina - Dlouhá míle - Airport Ruzyně; extension on east: new branch south from Strašnická
Line E - semicircular (Pankrác - Anděl - Hradčanská - Vltavská - Palmovka - Line D)

Section IVC2 had been opened in May 2008, VIA and VA are already confirmed

See less See more
#27 ·
alesmarv said:
I dont know how new this news is but I hear that because they scraped the plans to build a high speed railway to the airport and Kladno then that they will go ahead with the metro extension to the airport. However I think they still need to get some more money from the government to make this posibel. My guess is that the timeline above is highly optimistic, however if Prague would get the 2020 or 2024 summer olympics then there would be money from the government and the motivation of the people to get all these extensions done on time.
Also have they decided what technology their going to go with for line D, because i have heared that it wont be like the typical Prague subway but something smaller and more like lrt.
To answer your questions alesmarv, there may eventually be a high speed train from the airport or at least a train that goes from the city of Kladno to downtown Prague and stops at the Ruzyne airport. But that would be an option for later. As of right now Prague municipality has chosen the metro option to the airport. That is final.

Money talks, so it all depends on money how much gets built and how fast. But what is true is that Prague metro has always had a construction project going for long time and once the line C extension to the north of Prague is completed in 2008 a new project will start. The question is which one.

As for line D, the project is in further stages of planning then extension of line A to the airport. Both have their station locasions finalized. But I read an article recently that said line D is about 2 years ahead in plannig. Also, it will be decided in the middle of 2006 which type of metro will be built for line D. Both options are for underground metro, so no ltr. It will either be the same system that Prague uses now or a new system, with uses automated driver-less trains and tunnels are not as deep underground as current metro. The advantage of the new system is as you may guess the cost.

:cheers:

#28 ·
^I believe that line D will be built previously than line A prolongation, coz it's much more needed. Line A will be once prolonged, but farest to the Motol area only at first, airport will be surely connected by train sooner coz it's cheaper and have benefits for city of Kladno as well.

#29 ·
Hello guys
Do you have any forum about architecture and projects in Czech Republic? :) Thx

#31 · (Edited)
Hostivar Metro Station Close to Completion

On the 25th of May, the new Hostivar metro station will open. This station adds 1.5 km to the existing green line A in the east of the city. It was built in one year from converted metro train washing hall. Next to it at the same time will open a wast parking lot and bus station which will be used by commuters from outside of Prague coming to the city. This also improve trafic as the previous end station was in the residential area but this one is in the industrial one with better connection.

Enjoy selected construction images! :cheers:

Site of the future parking lot. :)

And the construction of the station.

And the last two are from two weeks later.

#33 · (Edited)
i heard about longest train tunnel in the world near the prague to be build. do you have some info?

edit:
Česi chcú postaviť rekordný tunel

V Česku sa bude medzi Prahou a Berounom stavať rekordný vyše 20-kilometrový železničný tunel, jeden z najdlhších na svete. Štát síce nemá pre všetky stavby naplánované na budúce roky peniaze, tunel však má byť súčasťou 3. železničného koridoru z Prahy do Plzne a Chebu, a ten má medzi stavebnými plánmi prioritu.

Pre tunel sa počíta so sumou 20,5 miliardy Kč, v prepočte takmer 27 miliárd Sk. Tento najväčší český železničný projekt na nasledujúcich 10 rokov sa má začať stavať v roku 2011 a dokončený má byť o 5 rokov neskôr. Informoval o tom český denník Hospodářské noviny.

Oproti pôvodným plánom sa však počíta iba so stavbou jednokoľajového tunelu, čo niektorí odborníci nechápu. "Je to nepraktické predovšetkým z bezpečnostných dôvodov. Vždy sa pri podobných projektoch stavia súbežný únikový tunel," namieta Lukáš Týfa z dopravnej fakulty Českého vysokého učení technického.

Najdlhší železničný tunel na svete spája japonské ostrovy Honšú a Hokkaidó a meria takmer 54 km, z toho vyše 23 km vedie pod morom. Vo výstavbe je momentálne vyše 57-kilometrový tunel vo Švajčiarsku, ktorý pôjde popod Gotthardský masív. Zo železničných tunelov je dlhší ako zamýšľaný pražský ešte Eurotunnel medzi Francúzskom a Veľkou Britániou popod Lamanšský prieliv, ktorý meria 50 km, z čoho 39 km je pod vodou.

tt, TASR, Wikipedia

#38 ·
Herzasen, thanks for wonderful photos :) , izdoprava.cz is new source for me
BTW, those will be monumental arches at Střížkov :cheers:

3tmk said:
it's much easier than being under the city centre and having to do everything underground.
definitely, it's much more difficult to dig under the building, especially with tin top roof.

here are some recent photos from "Hostivař Depo" station made on Wednesday 19.4., it'll be opened soon

bus terminal is u/c beside station

#39 ·
after some time, new updates for Prague's metro

New metro station Depo-Hostivař on line A will be opened 26.5.06
currently adjacent bus terminal is u/c

Střížkov station on line B u/c

pictures of Střížkov-Prosek interstage

#40 ·
New metro prolongation from Skalka (1 km) and 54th metro station "Depo Hostivař" has been opened today. It's new terminus on line A, Prague metro system is currently 54.8 km long.

Currently 4.6km line C extension with three stations is u/c in the north of the city

#48 ·
^ That's the one side of the coin, the better one. Another is, that the costs of the construction are overpriced and politicians are wasting our money. Original budget for this line was 7 billions Kč, nowadays is estimated that final costs will reach 16 billions Kč... it's a tunnel...

#49 ·
Kokpit, I think you are too negative sometimes. I am too positive so let me balance this out. ;) Wonder what is your source of reasoning. Corruption happens, and it happens everywhere around the world. And I dont like it either. But I wonder why you think Metro is overcharging. You know how it works, the city starts a project and then companies bid to build it while the city supervises it.

I think Prague metro is great and I preffer for the metro to be built underground rather then above ground even though its cheaper. Plus why would Prague city officials overcharge the project for their own gain when they have hard time financing it as the state does not give anything for the construction. So yes, I am sceptical of your statement above. And I know there are people that question everything that the city builds, there are lots of conservative people in Prague that make faulse acusations without facts. Although I am sure some of it may be true, when you have actual source to back up your accusasion I would preffer you include it in your statements to give more value to your words.

:cheers:

I am attaching a new article below about Strizkov station which has the arche above it. The article explains construction of underground pathway that will be built before the opening of the station in the summer 2008 and will include shops. The underground pathway will be 30 meters long and 25 meters wide.

V podchodu u nové stanice metra budou obchody

Date 19. 12. 2006
Source Mladá fronta Dnes

Střížkov - Stavba stanice metra Střížkov se blíží ke svému konci, a stavbaři se proto chystají na rozsáhlé úpravy celého okolí dosavadního staveniště.
Lidé, kteří žijí v blízkosti Vysočanské ulice, se už po letních prázdninách v příštím roce nebudou dívat z oken na hromady zeminy a stavební stroje, ale na upravené travnaté plochy a nové chodníky.
Už v prvních dnech roku 2007 začne Metrostav stavět nový podchod pod Vysočanskou ulicí, který se zároveň stane místem pro nákupy.
„Nebude to žádný úzký podchod, jak jsou lidé zvyklí. Bude dlouhý třicet a široký pětadvacet metrů. Počítáme s tím, že zde budou obchody a služby,“ potvrdil mluvčí Metrostavu František Polák. Kvůli stavbě však budou zuřit řidiči; dělníci totiž uzavřou oba jízdní pruhy Vysočanské ulice ve směru do Vysočan.
„Toto omezení bude dlouhé, potrvá až do konce srpna,“ dodal Polák. Přemístěn bude i vjezd na blízké parkoviště. Řidiči, kteří zde chtějí zaparkovat, budou muset přejet po provizorní cestě přes travnatou plochu.
Konečnou podobu v prvních měsících příštího roku získá také stanice. Betonový skelet totiž dostane skleněný plášť.
První soupravy metra by měly novou trasou projet v roce 2008.

#53 ·
BTW, Herzarsen, thank you for interesting informations about Střížkov station. :)

I have some earlier aerial photos of C line prolongation (Prosek and Letňany stations).

Prosek station

Letňany station

#56 ·
only minor part between Prosek and Střížkov (cca 1km which is visible on the picture) and stations, remaining 3,6 kms of the line are being tunneled.
See this drawing: