SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Where do you live?

Odkud jste? Where do you come from?

86K views 139 replies 69 participants last post by  bratislav 
#1 · (Edited)
So where do you live, that's the question...
If you don't live in Czech Rep but have some special interest or relationship with our country, you can write something about it here :)

P.S. Pokud jste z Karlovarského kraje, zaškrtněte prosím variantu Plzeň, případně Ústí nad Labem (podle osobních preferencí). Děkuji ;)

#5 ·
I live in Toronto, Ontario Canada...

I like Czech :) its nice...i like... :)

Jihlava ?!?!? whats this...

i heard it before....where is this?

I went to Brno from Prague and it stopped at a place with a J, im not sure...
but it was trashed by foreign football hooligans and their firms...is that the city?

#9 ·
If it is possible, I'd vote for Liberec AND Hradec.. two best cities of Czechia :)

#11 ·
Nightlife scene? You mean clubs, bars and so on? Of course.. Liberec is famous with it's clubs.. everybody can find his sort of entertainment here.. :) Also Liberec is the city where is much to do and much to see, not only in night.. on main square there are often some jarmarks, markets, medieval parades, concerts, even 'open-air' opera was played there etc.

#12 ·
I come from the kitchen and I am now in the study (OK, just being funny). Looks like at time of this post you have more non-Czechs than Czechs. I know you have a labour shortage but this is ridiculous!

#14 ·
There is alot of Czechs on the forum, but many are in other forums....
and a few may just look but not respond or register.

HistoryWorks - Are you Czech background, living in Aussie Land?
I married a Czech background but not one myself - though my ancestors (Celts) lived in Czech lands a couple of thousand years ago and named it Bohemia (I am trying to sue Czech government for compensation for naming rights but they won't write back to me :eek:hno:). But Prague hadn't been built then so there was nothing to stay around for and we moved on to British Isles, then through European diaspora to Australia. (short biography! :nuts:)

#18 ·
It is deliberately because Karlovy Vary is the smallest region in CZ, they can choose Plzeň or Ústí nad Labem insted. Or Jiný region. I disagree with official region division of Czech Rep btw, there are too many small regions in Bohemia.

#20 ·
I strongly disagree. Liberec ruled the whole Sudetenland and now we rule only 2nd smallest territory after KV :) It's small, but ours.

#21 ·
^ Liberec is at least natural capital of it's region, but Karlovy Vary region should be merged with Pilsen region. Liberec region is now second smallest region in Czech Rep (after Karlovy Vary region...) so it could be merged with Hradec Králové region easily.

#22 ·
I see you are talking about things you don't understand, because you haven't experienced it in Praha. You think the inhabitants of Lípa will go to Hradec for some bumf? Maybe we should dismiss Prague region and merge it with Highlands? Great idea..

#24 · (Edited)
kokpit:

Sorry, I have to disagree with you strongly.

If you divide Czech republic into regions, even if it is just in "Where are you from" question on SSC, you should follow some logic way. If you do not like recent administrative division, you can follow another one (former administrative one from 1960-1992, touristic division...). This really looks like the Czech republic is a country of XYZ regions minus Karlovy Vary (traded to Germany, probably :)).

Btw. Osoblaha has extremely inconvenient position in the country and it is true that a travel to Ostrava by public transport may be almost a whole day journey. But Ostrava is a logical choice. There is no big center closer and I do not think creating Krnov region extra because of Osoblaha is a good idea :). Recent division follows 1949-1960 division which I find the most logical among all possibilities. It creates 14 sensefull "attraction zones" (heh, "spádová oblast" podle slovníku na seznamu...). Karlovy Vary attraction zone is obviously smaller than Plzen one in proportion, but it is worth to exist. Last but not least, Karlovy Vary attraction zone is more reasonable than Jihlava one IMO.

Norkey:

In matter of population you are the second smallest just after Karlovy Vary, but in matter of size you are even smaller - smallest just after Praha-city region.

I know, it is confusing because Liberec region is created out of 4 former districts, while Karlovy Vary only out of 3. But due the fact Jablonec and Semily were very small, KV is larger than LB.

#25 ·
In matter of population you are the second smallest just after Karlovy Vary, but in matter of size you are even smaller - smallest just after Praha-city region.

I know, it is confusing because Liberec region is created out of 4 former districts, while Karlovy Vary only out of 3. But due the fact Jablonec and Semily were very small, KV is larger than LB.
ok, I was speaking about Prague but I changed it with KV.. you know:)

However Liberec district in past contained 2 more districts - Liberec-North, Liberec-South and Liberec-City. We were mightier in the past than we are now:( Between 49-60, Liberecký Kraj consisted also of Rumburk (whole Šluknovský výběžek), Mnichovo Hradiště and Jilemnice districts and had two times larger area than now..

#33 ·
kokpit:

So everyone can choose his/her region, ok.

For people from Karlovy Vary region, which misses, there is the "Jiný region" (Other region) :lol:. God bless such logic, kokpit.

Why there is "Jiný region" then??? I didn't get it still. Someone who lives in Pardubický region doesn't feel himself comfortably there, so he choose "Other"? Is this the reason?

What do you expect from Karlovy Vary residents to choose? Plzeňský??? They will "love" it, I am sure as there is no bloody rivalry between KV and PM at all :D. So they are the "Other" am I right?

Kurňa Kokpite, držíš tohle fórum nad vodou, spolupodílíš se na jeho kvalitě, vše bez ironie, a pak plácneš do placu s takovouhle kravinou. To sie w glowie nie miesci jak by řekli naši milí severní sousedi :nuts:.

#34 ·
Uznávám že Karlovy Vary tam mohly být, pak je ale ještě problém se Středočeským krajem. Tím že jsem tam dal krajská města a ne kraje, tak by se někdo z maloměsta mohl cítit dotčen, proto je tam i jiný region, v podstatě ho může zaškrtnout kdokoliv, kdo nebydlí ve vyjmenovaných městech. Jinak pro případné Karlovaráky je v prvním postu doporučený postup. Časem se to může ještě změnit resp. založit nový poll, až nás tady bude víc, teď bych to tak neřešil...

#36 ·
Well, after considerable time lurking around, I finally registered yesterday (didn't go very smoothly, though). So :hi: to all of you!

For the topic: this is not an easy question. I'm from Prague, but I'll choose Pilsen since nowadays I spend here like 4 days a week. And nobody else has chosen it so far :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.