SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Anfield Redevelopment | Liverpool | 54,074 - 61,000 | U/C

1M views 3K replies 273 participants last post by  Portobello Red 
#1 ·
i've heard 60,000 and 61,000. can anyone confirm either way?

anyway, there's been (at last) a positive development with this project. thanks to Paul D of the uk scouse forum for posting the news:

New Anfield is back on track after £10m grant

See less See more
#26 ·

Oh aye.

The red circle is where the New Anfield will be built.
There are many other grounds in the UK which are closer than Anfield and Goodison are now, even than where they soon will be!

Dundee (closest Stadia in the UK):
E -> W: Dens Park (Dundee FC), Tannadice Park (Dundee Unitied FC)

Nottingham (second closest stadia in the UK. Also note Cricket Ground):
N -> S: Meadow Lane (Notts County FC), The City Ground (Nottingham Forest FC), Trent Bridge (Nottinghamshire CCC)

#12 ·
a great stadium for a great club.

i was very disappointed to see liverpool go out of the champions league. in my opinion they're the most passionate club in the premiership and it's hard not to feel a soft spot for them. of course, i can say this only because when ipswich were last in the top flight we beat liverpool at anfield :)

get a world class striker and i'll even consider buying a shirt.

#17 ·
It might take time but I think it will happen. Now that The Emirate's is just about finished Club's like Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham will be under pressure to increase thier revenue streams. If the finances and demand are right then long term, the best way to do this is to build a new stadium.

And before someone say's "they can't leave thier sacred Anfield and the hallowed turf" and "a new stadium won't be the same". No it won't be the same but why settle for a church when you can have a cathedral.

#20 ·
Liverpool close in on new stadium

The club aims to start building the stadium later this year
Liverpool's plans to build a new 60,000-capacity all-seater stadium have moved a step closer after the club secured crucial European funding.
The European Union Objective One grant of £9m will be spent on regenerating the area around the Stanley Park site.

Liverpool were given the money after guaranteeing that the £180m funding for the entire project is in place.

They can now claim £5m from Liverpool City Council and £8.9m from the Northwest Regional Development Agency.

The city council approved a 999-year lease on the stadium site - which is 300 yards away from Anfield - on 8 September.

Planning permission for the scheme came with the proviso that investment would be made in the surrounding area, including the park.

The European money will not be spent on the new stadium but on schemes such as the creation of a shop-lined plaza on the site of their current Anfield home.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry said: "It's another significant step forward in our plans for the building of a new stadium, which we have always seen as a catalyst for the regeneration of the whole area."

Councillor Flo Clucas, chairman of the Objective One project selection sub-committee, added: "This is a major step forward for the people of Anfield.

"It will underpin substantial investment by other partners, whose commitment will help transform the neighbourhood."

#22 ·
I'm kinda surprised more people haven't been commenting on this thread lately, what with all the recent good news regarding this stadium...??? Maybe it has to do with SSC having a bit of a hoo haa over the past few days (weeks).

Anyway, from what I have read in the sports papers, in the media etc etc this stadium now looks a cert to go up!!

Jus to reitterate, the club have secured crucial European funding of £9m which will be spent on regenerating the area around the site of the new stadium. Liverpool were only given the money after guaranteeing that the £180m funding for the entire project is in place, so looks like all the all the required dosh is their to be spent. What with the extra claims they can get of £5m from Liverpool City Council and £8.9m from the Northwest Regional Development Agency, everything should now be set in motion for construction.

One paper (not a tabloid, a respectable broadsheet) commented that Liverpool plan to start work on the new stadium next spring with a view to moving in by 2009!!!!

Just last night I was watching a sports programme on C5 (John Barnes football night ot something like that) which gave a 10 minute snippet about Liverpool looking deffinite about moving to their new stadium...will miss anfield...good memories bla bla bla.

Anyway, I'm not a Scouser fan, I actually support the mighty reds, but I'm always enthusiastic about any new stadium being built in England, with relevance to boosting a WC 2018 bid!! :)

:cheers:

#23 ·
I think that nobodys reacted to the recent news is because the Liverpool board who have to provide the rest of the money have been rather quiet of late- As they have been since this got planning permission way back.

Hopefully it will be built soon but I wish they could have designed a slightly better stadium one befitting Liverpools status in football. This one is quite nice but a little bland. Since this was first propossed we have had stadiums like Bayerns Allianz ground whic have raised the bar in football stadium design.

#24 ·
I'm really please, and I bet Rafa is too.

I read some words from Rafa on the stadium, and its part of his plans for the club. To have a much larger capacity, to not only compete with Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal and Newcastle financially, but also to create a fortress. I can't wait. Whilst Anfield has special memories, and still maintains its fortress status to this very day, it is getting on a bit, and will soon not be fit for modern football.

I don't know how were funding it, I remeber a year back we were in bad debt. And we've also spent big this season. But hey, I guess they've done the sums, and its also a similair situation to Arsenal and Emirates. The long term benefits will outweigh the short term loss.

To be honest, the stadium isn't ground breaking stuff, but I doubt we could afford something or even get planning permission for something as extravagent as the Allianz Arena. Its a very nice stadum, looks better than Old Trafford, and would easily be one of the best in the country. I just hope those shadows are there for effect!