SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Anfield Redevelopment | Liverpool | 54,074 - 61,000 | U/C

1M views 3K replies 273 participants last post by  Portobello Red 
#1 ·
i've heard 60,000 and 61,000. can anyone confirm either way?

anyway, there's been (at last) a positive development with this project. thanks to Paul D of the uk scouse forum for posting the news:

New Anfield is back on track after £10m grant

See less See more
#472 ·
Tada!

Liverpool stadium plans approved

The proposed new stadium would seat 60,000 fans

Liverpool Football Club's revised plans for its Stanley Park stadium have been approved by the city council.

The planning committee backed the revised scheme, which included changes to the original design, on Tuesday.

It is the third draft of the plans - councillors gave the originals the go-ahead four years ago.

Opponents to the scheme have objected, calling the 60,000-seater stadium a "monstrous" development that is too big for the area.

The latest plans include improved leisure and retail facilities.

The Reds' current home will be redeveloped as a car park, sports centre and hotel.

It is hoped the scheme will regenerate public land which stands between Anfield and Everton's ground, Goodison Park.

Owners' dispute

Plans have previously been delayed because the club changed hands and the design was revised.

But with the two owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett in dispute with each other, building work could still be delayed.

The American duo took control of Liverpool in a deal worth £218.9m in February 2007.

But the relationship between the two men broke down some time ago, with the pair no longer on speaking terms.

Their falling-out has led to a war of words.

In a television interview, Hicks outlined his own plans for the future of the club as well as again calling for the resignation of chief executive Rick Parry.

But George Gillett has said he will not sell his share in the club to his rival.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7385026.stm

#476 ·
The original plans for Wembley came out in 1999 and it opened in 2007. While the original plans for this came out in 2000 and here we are 8 years later and it hasn't even begun construction yet.

Interesting to note the difference in media coverage.

#479 ·
Restoration of Stanley Park and the Isla Gladstone Conservatory are now well underway and are scheduled for completion this winter.

The Club is committed to take the stadium project forward and start on site as soon as possible and aim for an opening for the 2011/2012 season.

anyone got pics of conservatory?

#491 ·
It's all about comprimise. The planned stadium is probably the optimum quality, capacity and styling while offering a decent return.

If it's just about clicks through the turnstiles in to a concrete bowl then the Ian ritchie bowl style may be the best option.

I like the planned version myself. For whatever faults it may have it offers a very distinctive style.

#492 ·
I quite like it and i think it could look really good depending on the quality of the materials used. If we hadn't have seen the other design i reckon most people would say that this is quite good. In fact i haven't seen anything like this (especially the roof before). Although it does have an air of the Parc de Pr about it (which is a good thing).

#496 ·
ENABLING WORKS START ON NEW LFC STADIUM

Liverpoolfc.tv 24 June 2008

Liverpool City Council granted full planning permission on June 19 to Liverpool Football Club to build a 60,000 seater stadium and outline planning permission for a mixed use development on the existing Anfield stadium site.
The stadium will incorporate a club shop, conference and banqueting facilities, parking for almost 1,000 vehicles and a Community Partnership centre. Its design is ultimately capable of accommodating up to 73,000 people subject to further planning permission.

LFC has instructed Laing O'Rourke to commence enabling works under a licence issued by the Liverpool City Council. Works started on June 23.

Co-chairman George Gillett said: "This is a significant milestone for the club and I am delighted that the design received full planning consent and that we are now on site.

"We have been working very hard over the last six months to move the details of the design along but this is the first tangible evidence for fans that a New LFC Stadium will be built.

"The stadium design is unique and will be recognised across the world as the Liverpool FC Stadium. It incorporates a Kop stand that will hold 18,000 fans and we hope that the stadium will be as noisy and atmospheric on a matchday as Anfield."

Co-chairman Tom Hicks added: "We recognise the importance of a new LFC Stadium as part of the wider regeneration of the local area.

"We have watched the council transform Stanley Park over the last six months and the ongoing refurbishment of houses in the Anfield/ Breckfield area. I am pleased that now the club has received full planning permission it can join the regeneration process with the commencement of enabling works."

The stadium is on programme to open for the beginning of the 2011-12 season.