search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Indianapolis

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #12381
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae

Likes (Received): 127

Waiting patiently in the corner for Scotty just to beam me from one place to another.
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #12382
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbeaver View Post
Keystone poised to buy AT&T Tower.

The only worry I would have about converting the building to residential is 1) I don't believe the windows open and there aren't balconies 2) No pool. I work for a luxury apartment community Downtown and have worked with a few other properties and both of those issues are major reasons people won't lease at a property. If some of the glass can be replaced to have windows that can open, or balconies built onto the building, I would have no worries about leasing or sales. A pool is much more challenging and less likely to happen, but I would at least hope for some type of roof top terrace with a fire pit, grills, seating, etc.

There is definitely demand for more hotel options Downtown, however if a hotel brand wants to convert an existing building into a hotel I would imagine a historical building like the Illinois Building (above Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse) being favorable compared to a 1970's glass office tower. Office vacancies are kinda high right now so I don't see office as a good option even though its already built as an office tower.
I agree re residential. It would require creating balcony space (now required in Regional Center residential), which is a non-trivial exercise when dealing with an existing glass curtain wall...you'd have to drain water, for one thing.

Re hotel: the downtown Hilton was a conversion of the former Blue Cross/Blue Shield building (after Anthem moved to the circle with those satellite mid-rises south of the rail viaduct). A couple of floors of parking plus hotel, plus maybe a couple of condos on the top floors, is probably what will end up happening.

I don't think that pulling commercial off the market will lead to the construction of more commercial in high-rises, though. We still have plenty of parking lots in the near-downtown area that could comfortably accommodate developments like the Cummins Distribution HQ for either single or multi-tenants.

Remember also, Lilly is cutting several thousand US jobs, most of which are in downtown Indy. They may be able to offer space in-house to outsourced contractors who use outside space now, and that space isn't on the market because it's currently considered "owner occupied".

IndyJohn liked this post
cdc guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #12383
rnimry

Likes (Received): 316

I snapped this leaving work today, looks like a new place is replacing Bourbon Street:

Manchesterman19 liked this post
rnimry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:11 AM   #12384
Manchesterman19

Likes (Received): 90

I visited Knoxville and Savannah last week. Both really cool cities in very different ways, but one thing that I was curious about was why Knoxville had several "beer markets" while indy has zero (to my knowledge). I didn't have a chance to enter any but they appeared to have a pretty decent craft beer selection available for carryout as well as operating as a bar.
Either it's a trend that just hasn't hit indy yet, or there's some antiquated liquor/distribution law that prevents that kind of establishment. Any one seen these in other cities or know why these aren't in indy?
Manchesterman19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:34 AM   #12385
Indy's Blue Knight

Likes (Received): 3

Not sure if this answers your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchesterman19 View Post
I visited Knoxville and Savannah last week. Both really cool cities in very different ways, but one thing that I was curious about was why Knoxville had several "beer markets" while indy has zero (to my knowledge). I didn't have a chance to enter any but they appeared to have a pretty decent craft beer selection available for carryout as well as operating as a bar.
Either it's a trend that just hasn't hit indy yet, or there's some antiquated liquor/distribution law that prevents that kind of establishment. Any one seen these in other cities or know why these aren't in indy?
When I visited Seattle, many of the breweries out there had very nice beer gardens attached where it was a sort of a beer tasting outside. Is that what you are talking about? If so, I have heard that Saint Joseph Brewery is putting in one in their lawn just north in the spring. So, to maybe answer your question, it's a trend that hasn't hit yet? As far as I know Saint Joseph will only serve their beer though, so, not a "market".
Indy's Blue Knight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, indianapolis