daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Miami > Development News



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 21st, 2009, 09:26 AM   #1
mechanesthesia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 83
Likes (Received): 21

Movie Theater in Downtown?

Are there really no movie theaters in downtown?

Is there any news for one?

I don't see why one can't be built in one of these new complexes like Mary Brickell Village or at Midtown Miami.
mechanesthesia no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old November 21st, 2009, 05:18 PM   #2
kevinkagy
Registered User
 
kevinkagy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,552
Likes (Received): 864

As of now there isn't a large Muvico-type of movie theatre in Downtown, no, but the retail project "Met Square" has plans for a large move theatre in its complex. However, it's not sure when or if they'll start construction. Besides that, the smaller Olympia Theatre (Gusman Center) shows many films almost daily, and is a beautiful place. The Arsht Center has many plays, operas, musicals, concerts, etc. I agree though, Downtown does need a large, run of the mill movie theatre.
__________________
Florida International University
GOLDEN PANTHERS!
kevinkagy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 06:34 PM   #3
DShoost88
Registered User
 
DShoost88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Boca Raton/Boston
Posts: 1,063
Likes (Received): 400

I recall reading somewhere that Met Square was going to break ground around the time Met 2 was completed. But I recall reading a lot of things over the past few years, so don't quote me on that. We all know that Met Square will rock when it's done and fill a giant void of entertainment missing in downtown Miami--namely a giant movie theater.
DShoost88 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 09:03 PM   #4
theDirector
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 809
Likes (Received): 90

Okay, supposedly what was said by the "sales lady" was that as soon as MET2 is done, they will move there operation to MET2 and clear the lot for METSquare and begin construction. Is that really going to happen... who knows? But we really need METSquare!
theDirector no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:41 AM   #5
Roark
BANNED
 
Roark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,905
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Besides that, the smaller Olympia Theatre (Gusman Center) shows many films almost daily, and is a beautiful place.
Almost daily??? Almost never is more like it.
The Gusman is the Main Venue for the Miami International Film Festival in March, but other than that, not many if any films in any other month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
I agree though, Downtown does need a large, run of the mill movie theatre.
I disagree.
18 screens at Lincoln Road Theatre is exactly 4.3 miles from Met.
16 screens at Cocowalk are exactly 4.7 miles from Met.

Of all the people that live or work in downtown, I've never heard one say that downtown needs a run of the mill movie theatre. Want maybe, but enough to support another run of the mill multi-screen theatre.
Roark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 01:49 AM   #6
kevinkagy
Registered User
 
kevinkagy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,552
Likes (Received): 864

If the Grove, and South Beach have a movie theatre, it's about time Downtown get one.
__________________
Florida International University
GOLDEN PANTHERS!
kevinkagy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 02:44 AM   #7
305Lover
Registered User
 
305Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 936
Likes (Received): 332

Wasn't the next phase of development of Midtown that entertainment block, which included a movie theater?
305Lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:13 AM   #8
DShoost88
Registered User
 
DShoost88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Boca Raton/Boston
Posts: 1,063
Likes (Received): 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
18 screens at Lincoln Road Theatre is exactly 4.3 miles from Met.
16 screens at Cocowalk are exactly 4.7 miles from Met.

Of all the people that live or work in downtown, I've never heard one say that downtown needs a run of the mill movie theatre. Want maybe, but enough to support another run of the mill multi-screen theatre.
Are you kidding me?! How on earth do you expect Miami to promote a walkable environment for its city dwellers if they have to walk/bike 4-5 miles in the oppressive South Florida heat just to catch the latest blockbuster film?!

Here in Boston we've got a Regal 13 theater right next to Fenway Park and an AMC 19 theater across the street from Boston Common... those two theaters are just over two miles from each other and continue to see excellent business throughout the weekdays and weekends because they satisfy market demand and are extremely accessible for city people--next to "T" stops, close to where they live, and located downtown.

A fact I've neglected to make widely known on this forum is that my passion for skyscrapers is matched only by my interest in movies and the box office. As carefully and considerately as I've studied the development patterns for regions around the world, I've committed to gaining equal knowledge about the movie industry and trying to understand the trends amongst moviegoers around the country. Movie theaters are a meeting place--they are community centers that unify people of every age, race, ethnicity, and sexual orientation for 2 to 3 hours in a large space where they can share a common interest and experience: movies! Movies bring people together, no matter where the theater is, and they are a boon for economic growth in a densely-populated, downtown atmosphere.

Nobody is saying they should build a 30-plex movie theater at Met Square. Even a modest 10 or 12 screen theater would be excellent for downtown.
DShoost88 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 06:45 AM   #9
Roark
BANNED
 
Roark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,905
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
If the Grove, and South Beach have a movie theatre, it's about time Downtown get one.
Kevin, that is what you said about Chili's.
Roark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:10 AM   #10
Roark
BANNED
 
Roark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,905
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShoost88 View Post
Are you kidding me?! How on earth do you expect Miami to promote a walkable environment for its city dwellers if they have to walk/bike 4-5 miles in the oppressive South Florida heat just to catch the latest blockbuster film?!
Answer to question #1.
No, not kidding you. A run of the mill movie theatre (as Kevin calls it) is a want more than a need.

Answer to question #2.
Um...they promote a walkable environment for it's city dwellers without a movie theatre...for now.

Your knowledge of Boston and Boston movie theatres is fantastic, but with all due respect, history tells us, that before South Beach had the Lincoln Theatre, South Beach thrived as a walkable environment without a multiplex. It seems almost impossible, right? Research it, I don't make this stuff up.

I agree, people congregate at movie theatres, fair enough.
I live and work downtown, and with everything that goes on here, there is no time or desire for me to see a movie, especially the latest blockbuster. Of course, that is just me and people like me. If I lived in a cold climate, or the suburbs that don't have beaches, performing arts centers, American Airlines Arenas, I might watch more movies and my bowling average would be high.

Today, it was 80 degrees with only a few clouds, there was a boat parade on the Miami River, an art show, and a Food, Fashion, Wine festival from Tuscany...
Trust me on this one, not many Downtowners were pissed that they were outside today instead of in the Multiplex catching the latest Vampire movie.
Roark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:25 AM   #11
kevinkagy
Registered User
 
kevinkagy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,552
Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Kevin, that is what you said about Chili's.
Could you look that up for me please? Thanks! Either way, a second Chili's would certainly be absolutely smashing in Downtown!
__________________
Florida International University
GOLDEN PANTHERS!
kevinkagy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM   #12
SkyDiveJunkee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,562
Likes (Received): 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post

Your knowledge of Boston and Boston movie theatres is fantastic, but with all due respect, history tells us, that before South Beach had the Lincoln Theatre, South Beach thrived as a walkable environment without a multiplex. It seems almost impossible, right? Research it, I don't make this stuff up.

I agree, people congregate at movie theatres, fair enough.
I live and work downtown, and with everything that goes on here, there is no time or desire for me to see a movie, especially the latest blockbuster. Of course, that is just me and people like me. If I lived in a cold climate, or the suburbs that don't have beaches, performing arts centers, American Airlines Arenas, I might watch more movies and my bowling average would be high.

Today, it was 80 degrees with only a few clouds, there was a boat parade on the Miami River, an art show, and a Food, Fashion, Wine festival from Tuscany...
Trust me on this one, not many Downtowners were pissed that they were outside today instead of in the Multiplex catching the latest Vampire movie.
This is conjecture, not history. Cinema is an art form and Miami downtown is most definitely lacking if it does not have a full scale multiplex. If South Beach weren't lacking one they wouldn't have built one. The reason there is not one downtown is because a major theater has not shown confidence that downtown Miami can support one. Downtown Orlando's new multiplex is doing well, and seems to have caught on with the locals, but it would not have happened had the City not had the insight to lure in a theater owner and assume some of the risk for the first few years. For them, it has already paid off.
SkyDiveJunkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:42 AM   #13
Roark
BANNED
 
Roark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,905
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDiveJunkee View Post
This is conjecture, not history.
What are you referring to this comment?
Quote:
before South Beach had the Lincoln Theatre, South Beach thrived as a walkable environment without a multiplex
I lived here before the Lincoln Theatre. Fact.
Before the Lincoln Theatre, South Beach thrived as a walkable environment. Fact.
We WANTed a theatre, but didn't NEED one as a condition to being a walkable community. Fact, not conjecture.

It has been years since visiting downtown Orlando, congratulations on the downtown multi-plex movie theatre. Wasn't there a theatre in that Church Street Station project that bombed?

In the last three weeks, the culture/entertainment in the Downtown Miami is the International Book Fair (one of the largest in the world), the New World Symphony performance of Ode to Joy, the boat parade (these were yachts and sailboats and have nothing on those groovy Orlando paddle swans!!!), the art festival on the waterfront, a Miami Heat game, a farewell to the mayor party, and a few charity events. But without the Multiplex, we are stuck with those things, plays, concerts, but no vampire movies (we have to roadtrip 4.7 miles).

The movie theatre is coming to downtown Miami and that will be nice. It will not require a tax payer subsidy for any amount of years like the downtown Orlando multiplex that you mentioned.
Roark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM   #14
1772
Registered User
 
1772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,276
Likes (Received): 751

Miami World Center should have a IMAX. That would be spectacular.
1772 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:20 PM   #15
ArcRocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 40
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Answer to question #1.
No, not kidding you. A run of the mill movie theatre (as Kevin calls it) is a want more than a need.

Answer to question #2.
Um...they promote a walkable environment for it's city dwellers without a movie theatre...for now.

I agree, people congregate at movie theatres, fair enough.
I live and work downtown, and with everything that goes on here, there is no time or desire for me to see a movie, especially the latest blockbuster. Of course, that is just me and people like me. If I lived in a cold climate, or the suburbs that don't have beaches, performing arts centers, American Airlines Arenas, I might watch more movies and my bowling average would be high.

Today, it was 80 degrees with only a few clouds, there was a boat parade on the Miami River, an art show, and a Food, Fashion, Wine festival from Tuscany...
Trust me on this one, not many Downtowners were pissed that they were outside today instead of in the Multiplex catching the latest Vampire movie.
Seems to be arguing for argument's sake. Fact is, not everybody who lives in downtown can afford to spend each weekend at events at the PAC and/or AAA. And without viable/convenient transit options to take us the 4.5 miles, a downtown movie theatre would be extremely conducive to transforming Miami into a more walkable/urban environment.
ArcRocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM   #16
DShoost88
Registered User
 
DShoost88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Boca Raton/Boston
Posts: 1,063
Likes (Received): 400

Roark, not a single one of us has said that a city would be any less walkable without a movie theater. You're right, nobody has "needed" a theater, but they certainly do "want" one.

Having a downtown theater would not only compliment the amenities available to Miamians, but also would compliment the walkable nature of downtown. For example, look at the successes of movie theaters at other downtowns in South Florida: the Muvico (Cinemark?) Parisian at City Place in West Palm Beach, Sunrise Cinemas at Mizner Park in Boca Raton, Sunrise Cinemas at Riverfront in Fort Lauderdale* (*though Riverfront was a failure, the movie theater generally saw/sees good business), the Lincoln Theater in Miami Beach.

The fewer places residents have to drive to, the better it is for downtown and the rest of the city.

And 1772, I agree--an IMAX would be awesome there! Although I wonder if an IMAX would do well/better at the new science museum.
DShoost88 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:51 PM   #17
SkyDiveJunkee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,562
Likes (Received): 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
What are you referring to this comment?
Your claim that a movie theater is a want, not a need. It may not be your need, Roark, however Jane Jacobs' urban wisdom tells us that a walkable urban environment boosts a variety of options that contribute to it's success. So while you are a member of an elite few who don't have time for vampire flicks, I could easily argue that it is much more a need for the typical urban dweller than a performance of Ode to Joy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
I lived here before the Lincoln Theatre. Fact.
Before the Lincoln Theatre, South Beach thrived as a walkable environment. Fact.
We WANTed a theatre, but didn't NEED one as a condition to being a walkable community. Fact, not conjecture.
Let's not argue semantics here but instead agree that South Beach is a better walkable environment with the movie theater than without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
It has been years since visiting downtown Orlando, congratulations on the downtown multi-plex movie theatre. Wasn't there a theatre in that Church Street Station project that bombed?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
In the last three weeks, the culture/entertainment in the Downtown Miami is the International Book Fair (one of the largest in the world), the New World Symphony performance of Ode to Joy, the boat parade (these were yachts and sailboats and have nothing on those groovy Orlando paddle swans!!!), the art festival on the waterfront, a Miami Heat game, a farewell to the mayor party, and a few charity events. But without the Multiplex, we are stuck with those things, plays, concerts, but no vampire movies (we have to roadtrip 4.7 miles).
I'm not interested in cultural elitism. I live in Boston and can easily go toe-to-toe with you on events that mark my calendar. I can also walk to a movie theater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
The movie theatre is coming to downtown Miami and that will be nice. It will not require a tax payer subsidy for any amount of years like the downtown Orlando multiplex that you mentioned.
It's a rousing success.
SkyDiveJunkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:26 PM   #18
Roark
BANNED
 
Roark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,905
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Could you look that up for me please? Thanks! Either way, a second Chili's would certainly be absolutely smashing in Downtown!
Spend a little more time in Downtown...there has been a Chilli's at 401 Biscayne Boulevard for years. A little taste of the suburbs right in the Central Business District.

You didn't specifically say the brand Chilli's, but that is where you were going. The conversation was another one of those, "I don't live there, but here is what the people that do live there need".
I looked it up..here was your quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Downtown should appeal to everyone and be affordable for everyone. Many people can't afford eating at Brickell restaurants, so having options for others is great because it brings more people to the area.
Roark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:48 PM   #19
Roark
BANNED
 
Roark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,905
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DShoost88 View Post
Roark, not a single one of us has said that a city would be any less walkable without a movie theater.
Certainly, I never said that. But this quote suggests that a "run of the mill" multi-screen megaplex is the end all/be all to walkable environments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DShoost88 View Post
How on earth do you expect Miami to promote a walkable environment for its city dwellers if they have to walk/bike 4-5 miles in the oppressive South Florida heat just to catch the latest blockbuster film?!
I've read Jane Jacobs, and it should go without saying that diverse choices make for a vibrant urban life. We've got diverse choices...too many to take advantage.
SDJ, If that is your point, then step away from your computer desk in Boston, and learn about the diverse choices in downtown Miami. It's true, an 18 Screen megaplex is not one of the choices for now, and it would be fine if there was one. The evidence shows that people are moving into downtown by the thousands.
It may be hard for some people to imagine this, but it is the fact and not conjecture.

So, of those that can't afford to donate to charities, attend the PAC, or events at the American Airlines Arena, there are still many many diverse choices.
Free concerts in Bayfront park. The art show along the river. The boat parade. The Miami Art Museum. The International Book Fair, etc etc.

I'm not trying to compare Downtown Miami to Boston or Orlando. But for those suburbanites and out of towners, the happenings in downtown should demonstrate that there are diverse choices.

PS. First run movies were offered in Bayfront Park, I'm not sure if that was popular or if they will do that again.
Roark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:52 PM   #20
kevinkagy
Registered User
 
kevinkagy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,552
Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Spend a little more time in Downtown...there has been a Chilli's at 401 Biscayne Boulevard for years. A little taste of the suburbs right in the Central Business District.

You didn't specifically say the brand Chilli's, but that is where you were going. The conversation was another one of those, "I don't live there, but here is what the people that do live there need".
I looked it up..here was your quote.
Thanks Roark!
__________________
Florida International University
GOLDEN PANTHERS!
kevinkagy no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
movie, omni

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu