search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #141
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2495

Demolition is often timed earlier, to accommodate for whatever hurdles come up. That allows construction to start with more of a blank slate.

Westlake will be a good street when a few holes get filled. It's already pretty cohesive.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #142
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2704

It's amazing how different this area is now from when I was a kid. It's crazy how quickly a real neighborhood popped up!
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #143
8ball

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityView Jim
Whoa! Drove by this today and looks like a major transformation! Working on fixing up the sidewalks this weekend, but very nice 'clean up' the this building.
I saw the interior of the remodeled Athletic Supply building and unfortunately it's very dark - only a narrow set of windows on the skinny ends of the building. I guess the old walls don't have the structural strength to add windows? It might look better when they have finished it I guess, but I'm not really sure why they saved the building - when you compare it to the new green building behind it or the plans for the new one just south on Westlake, it's not going to be A or even B grade space.
8ball no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #144
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 1429

Not much opportunity to add windows. 202 Westlake will butt up against this building up 4+ floors. The otherside faces a surface lot that is very ripe for development - likely with some height as well. That leaves front and back only.

Techies are ok with limited windows. I'm pretty sure that is who they may be catering to.
CityView Jim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #145
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2495

I agree. It's possible to have great space without nearby windows.

That's not just the vampire speaking. The world is full of outstanding office space that's 50 feet or even 150 feet from the nearest window. An example is Starbucks Center. Very nice offices in a building that's might be 410x350' in plan, or thereabouts.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #146
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

Likes (Received): 6400

Anyone know the parcel that is being referred to here?

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12036789.html?cgi=yes

Equity pays $12M for Lake Union site
By JOURNAL STAFF
SEATTLE — Chicago-based Equity Residential recently paid $12.15 million for a half block in Seattle's South Lake Union neighborhood where it plans a 275-unit housing development.

The largest publicly traded apartment owner in the country bought most of the site from Seattle developer Touchstone Corp., which had hired brokers Jim Klinger and Ross Klinger of Kidder Mathews to market it.

The property is on Minor Avenue North between John and Thomas streets. Equity proposes a 5-story building there, with apartments above 6,000 square feet of retail and 280 parking stalls.
Ruffhauser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #147
SteveM

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffhauser View Post
Anyone know the parcel that is being referred to here?

The property is on Minor Avenue North between John and Thomas streets. Equity proposes a 5-story building there, with apartments above 6,000 square feet of retail and 280 parking stalls.
Not to be a smart-ass, but isn't the answer in the article you quoted? It's on Minor, between John and Thomas. I think that's the parking lot behind the old Cascade Natural Gas building, but I'm not 100% sure.
SteveM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #148
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1127

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
Not to be a smart-ass, but isn't the answer in the article you quoted? It's on Minor, between John and Thomas. I think that's the parking lot behind the old Cascade Natural Gas building, but I'm not 100% sure.
Us non subscribers can only see the little blerb which doesn't include a location. Is that mentioned in the pay version?

edit: and if thats where it is, then this is the project it is referring to:
http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID3430.pdf
Old January 10th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #149
Rogue Linguist

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Us non subscribers can only see the little blerb which doesn't include a location. Is that mentioned in the pay version?

What are those? Rowhouses? If so, that's fantastic!
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:25 PM   #150
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

Quote:

The street address wasn't included in the pay article. That's why I asked if there was anyone who knew more about this.

Thanks for the link.
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #151
CityView Jim

Rumor is that 801 Dexter is to start this summer:

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID3361.pdf

Anything to confirm? This is a LOT of units!!! This would give Holland 3 consecutive blocks of apartment project along Dexter.
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #152
Ruffhauser
Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityView Jim View Post
Rumor is that 801 Dexter is to start this summer:

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID3361.pdf

Anything to confirm? This is a LOT of units!!! This would give Holland 3 consecutive blocks of apartment project along Dexter.
http://www.djc.com/news/re/12037032.html

Holland expands its 'collection' of apartments on Dexter Avenue
By LYNN PORTER
Journal Staff Reporter
Holland Development plans to start construction in June on a six-story, 285-unit apartment building at 801 Dexter Ave. N. in the South Lake Union neighborhood.

This is the third apartment complex the developer is building along that stretch of Dexter. The other two are under way next door at 717 and 901 Dexter, with 100 and 284 units respectively.

Tom Parsons is COO of Holland Development, a subsidiary of Vancouver-based Holland Partners. He said the apartment “collection” is needed because of the number of workers in the area. Parsons has estimated there is 2 or 3 million square feet of office space in the Dexter Avenue North corridor and nearby Fremont.

“It's just a great opportunity to create a critical mass of residential,” said Parsons. “When you build one building it's a building; when you build (three) it's a community.”

Weber Thompson is the architect for 801 Dexter, and Holland Construction will build it.

The complex will be G-shaped to maximize the site's buildable area, said Parsons. Besides the apartments, it will have eight live-work units, 4,400 square feet of retail space and 232 parking stalls.

Parsons said Holland has the site under contract. Part is owned by a private partnership and part by a life sciences developer, Alexandria Real Estate Equities.

Holland is tentatively scheduled to go before the design review board at 6:30 p.m. March 7. The meeting is at Queen Anne Community Center, 1901 First Ave. W.

The firm also has filed plans to build a 300-unit apartment complex at 1319 Dexter Ave. N., and a 142-unit apartment building at 1201 Mercer St., both in South Lake Union.

Developers have been racing to construct apartments in and around that area, driven by the growth of Amazon.com, the new Bill & Melinda Foundation headquarters, and nearby life sciences organizations.

Holland has been busy elsewhere in the city too, with construction of a 17-story apartment tower at 1200 Madison St. on First Hill.

Architecture firm CollinsWoerman did some entitlement work for Alexandria Real Estate Equities on the 801 Dexter site.

A two-story warehouse there will be demolished for the Holland development, according to city records.

Korry Electronics Co. previously occupied the site at 801 Dexter.
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #153
CityView Jim

Thank you for the post! I'm VERY curious about the 1319 Dexter project. I haven't seen any activity on this for some time. If anyone has anything on design plans within the last year or so, I'd appreciate a post.
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #154
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 3455

Interesting project for cleaning up polluted stormwater:

http://www.discoverslu.com/features/...in-on-cleanup/
Old January 26th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #155
LCIII

Thanks for posting!
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #156
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1127

The Swale on Yale will be surrounding the 420 Pontius project:
http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID3184.pdf

Mostly apartments with a bunch of townhouse units. The old laundry building will be all retail.
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #157
Rogue Linguist

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
The Swale on Yale will be surrounding the 420 Pontius project:
http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/G...endaID3184.pdf

Mostly apartments with a bunch of townhouse units. The old laundry building will be all retail.
That's a really nice development! It looks compact and pedestrian-oriented, and it has a lovely kind of stone-steel-wood colour scheme with pleasant landscaping. My favourite part is that it will include townhouses right on the street. YES.
Old January 27th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #158
LCIII

DJC says Skanska plans to start this project next year. Have we seen any plans or specifics yet?
Old January 27th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #159
CityView Jim

Yes. A rather uninteresting companion to the biotech building on the corner of Fairview and Mercer - if I'm not mistaken. I may be off a block:

http://www.cbre.com/NR/rdonlyres/4B0...BioMed4pgs.pdf
Old January 27th, 2012, 07:07 PM   #160
LCIII

Yah that's a block too far north. Maybe we haven't seen any kind of plans for this one yet. Thanks anyways