daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Ethiopia > Projects & Construction > Economic & Social Issues

Old July 24th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #121
Hersh
Resident Guru

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKebede View Post
My views on freedom is, if anyone promises to give you freedom that person is telling you rubbish, freedom is not something that can be given and taken from anyone, freedom is something that everyone have regardless of where they are or how they live, only if we are ignorant of that fact, that we hope someone to come and give us freedom, which will never happen. But if you ask me what a perfect state should have? I would say justice, because it is justice that is rather can be given and taken away by someone, to someone, or from someone.
Again with the unrefined ideological nonsense. Freedom is not given but it can certainly be taken away. The implication therefore is that it can be restored again. You are misconstruing the notion altogether to fit with your crude political ideology.
Hersh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 11th, 2014, 04:14 AM   #122
Rams_Lord

Likes (Received): 1

Interesting report you can download here- http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace...14-108161.aspx

The Ethiopia defence force currently has 81 aircraft in use.
Compared to it's neighbours:
Sudan: 174
Kenya: 134
Eritrea: 38
South Sudan: 9
Djibouti: 5

Why does the EDF slack in this field Any orders coming soon?
Rams_Lord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 05:56 AM   #123
s@lomon

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Interesting report you can download here- http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace...14-108161.aspx

do we really need to waste money for useless military spending ?

we will be better off if we invest that money into the economy for infrastructure development, education, energy, roads, etc...

don't forget we already have the second deadliest army in Africa, just after Egypt...
Ethiopian army is well organized, disciplined and efficient : that,s why we wont never have such barbaric terrorists like Boko Haram or AL shabab..

compared to other countries, Ethiopia is moslty secure, stable and has a reliable government which has a ambitious GTP. plus we have successfully implemented a framework in East Africa with Sudan, South Sudan, Kenya and Uganda.

All African countries should focus on economic growth, economic development rather than investing billions in military ! we don't need bloodshed and massacre !
we all have already too much suffered in the last decades...and still today.

and where do the weapons come from ? the West !!
don't forget that the 5 permanent UN council members are actually the world's 5 biggest suppliers of death !! 75% of total ammunition sold in the world come from the US, UK, China, Russia, France..and Germany.

it is well know that a country with limited military spending will have a better economic achievement.

the west will be so happy to sell us weapons....as long as they make profit, they don't care about a potential genocide and massacre...they actually fund them !

look at the conflict in Rwanda : the French supplied ammunitions in the ugliest genocide ! Israel/Palestine : recently the US sold $1 billion values ammunitions to israel! remember the despotic Amin dada of Uganda who used to keep his enemies's dead in fridge, he got millions from UK !, how about brutal Bokassa, he received a generous package from France for his luxury corronation as Emperor $20 millons - at the time it was higher than the country deficit !!! it is endless....

no man, don't let the west loot and rape us again !
money for investment and growth !!

Skyliner123, myfude1, FKebede liked this post
s@lomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #124
Rams_Lord

I wouldn't call it useless, because I'm rather wary about the rise in Muslim extremism I'm seeing on the news. I'm sure Ethiopia is strong enough to fight off Al Shabaab from doing anything on the scale like Boko Haram, but I'm just a bit concerned that's all

Simfan34 liked this post
Old August 11th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #125
Skyliner123

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:

It is difficult to know the real figures because the Ethiopian government does not publishes statistics on its military hardware.---and probably for a good reason thus I really doubt if the inventory numbers are really that low. I would put the real figure closer to that of Sudan's --- maybe even a little bit more.

What we do know for a fact, is that Ethiopian air force has been training a large number of pilots, mechanics, and technicians over the last decade or so. The military seems to want to keep down the maintenance bill on military aircraft (which goes up tremendously with a large inventory) while focusing its attention on personnel capacity building. Fighter planes can be purchased relatively quickly at any given time if there is a sudden need for them. But personnel can not be trained over night.

Many countries, even those with better economy than ours, usually struggle to pay the huge bill that comes with the expensive and regular maintenance of a large inventory. A large quantity of these rather expensive planes often end up retiring early. Therefore, it sort of makes sense to let the Russians (or whom ever) pay the current bill of keeping those planes air worthy until/unless we have an actual and immediate need to purchase. And if that time comes, the planes would be welcomed by a large and well trained air force personnel that is already familiar with them.

s@lomon liked this post

Last edited by Skyliner123; August 12th, 2014 at 06:56 AM.
Skyliner123 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 01:14 AM   #126
FKebede

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
Again with the unrefined ideological nonsense. Freedom is not given but it can certainly be taken away. The implication therefore is that it can be restored again. You are misconstruing the notion altogether to fit with your crude political ideology.
How is something that is not given be taken away? If you mean given up (through ignorance as I said above) I agree, but taken away
FKebede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #127
Rams_Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner123 View Post
It is difficult to know the real figures because the Ethiopian government does not publishes the statistics on the inventory of its military hardware.---and probably for a good reason. Thus I really doubt if the air force only has 81 planes. I would say the real numbers are probably closer to that of Sudan's --- and maybe even a little bit more.

What we do know for fact, is that Ethiopian airfare has been training a huge number of pilots, mechanics, and technicians over the last decade or so. I think the military is probably trying to get the most out of its limited budget by reducing maintenance cost on military aircraft (which increases tremendously with a large inventory) while increasing the number of highly trained officers. Fighter planes can be purchased relatively quickly if there is a sudden need for them while personnel can not be trained over night.

Many countries, even those with better economy than ours, usually struggle to pay the huge bill that comes with the expensive and regular maintenance of a large inventory. A large quantity of these 'good' and expensive planes in these countries end up retiring early. Therefore, it sort of makes sense to let the Russians (or whom ever) pay the current bill of keeping those planes air worthy until/unless we have an actual and immediate need to purchase. And if that time comes, the planes would be welcomed by a large and well trained air force personnel that is already familiar with them.
I'm quite positive it has more than 81 planes now. If you go to Google Maps and go on satellite view above the Harar Meda base, you can count 94 Planes
This is of course not including the planes in the hangar's which I cannot count....

Are there other bases with a heavy no. of planes?
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #128
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
I'm quite positive it has more than 81 planes now. If you go to Google Maps and go on satellite view above the Harar Meda base, you can count 94 Planes
This is of course not including the planes in the hangar's which I cannot count....

Are there other bases with a heavy no. of planes?
Mekelle, Bahir Dar, Dire Dawa...you can see a few flankers at or near the airports in these cities on google earth/maps
yosef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #129
s@lomon

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
I wouldn't call it useless, because I'm rather wary about the rise in Muslim extremism I'm seeing on the news. I'm sure Ethiopia is strong enough to fight off Al Shabaab from doing anything on the scale like Boko Haram, but I'm just a bit concerned that's all
because Ethiopia has a "strong" government, most Islamic coups have failed so far !!
because the government tightly controls everything in the Nation (security forces, military base, telecommunication, air lines, Internet, newspaper, etc..) it actually prevents for any terror attack !

look at Kenya : they are struggling against them !!
they invaded with us Somalia (just once) and AL shabab successfully led a deadly attack in their capital.

we have been fighting al shabab for years : they always fail !!
proof that our military personnel, infrastructure, spy agency and severe controls protect the country !

don't underestimate Ethiopian security forces.
with this current context, u need a strong and powerful state which focus on economic growth : any weak leadership could bring us to the Arab spring nightmare !
they are now crying their defunct Gaddafi ! Ben Ali ,and Mubarak ...ironic !!

i dont want to praise the current government but with the geopolitical context in the horn of africa and in africa generally, we cannot afford to live in the same way like Europeans...

In strong and stable economic environments, political institution are the backbone of a nation's development, but in weak setting - one in wich corruption and economic graft reign supreme - they often prove worthless.

myfude1, cptjosh liked this post
s@lomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #130
cptjosh

Likes (Received): 495

Don't forget also Pakistan recently came to Ethiopia seeking for advice on counter terrorism.
cptjosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #131
Geb98

Likes (Received): 169

With all the stability and economic growth, a revolution would ruin the progress of the country. I'm not rooting for woyanne, but from a neutral perspective Ethiopia has never grown like this for such a long time, changing government would bring instability leaving a gateway for terrorists and seperatists. How many liberated countries that removed dictators are stable?
Ukraine had the leader yanukovic resign with no revolution/coup, just protests, and then Russia took crimea and now eastern Ukraine is under part Russian rebel control, and that is in Europe let alone Africa.
I mean should we all take this risk for the European political ideology of Democracy, for a nation with millions of farmers and a high illiteracy rate, I believe the people are not ready for democracy. Even South Korea started as a Police state. We must wait.

Free press is highly needed, a confident government would allow criticism to flow out knowing it will not hinder their popularity and maybe use it constructively for all round satisfaction. this paranoia of woyanne is juvenile.
Did anybody here see the video of the cadre getting verbally abused at the mall ? oh man he was so scared

Skyliner123, s@lomon, cptjosh liked this post
Geb98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #132
Hersh
Resident Guru

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKebede View Post
How is something that is not given be taken away? If you mean given up (through ignorance as I said above) I agree, but taken away
You make no sense, dude. No one gave me my right arm, but someone can surely take it away, given the necessary tools. What separates you from a prisoner, if not for the rights you have?
Hersh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 01:52 AM   #133
FKebede

Likes (Received): 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersh View Post
You make no sense, dude. No one gave me my right arm, but someone can surely take it away, given the necessary tools. What separates you from a prisoner, if not for the rights you have?
You talk about material freedom, I am talking about ideal freedom, your arms and legs can be taken away by some one, but no one can take away your mind from you.
FKebede no está en línea   Reply With Quote